Muster Drill & handicap issue?

Can anyone tell me if Carnival makes any kind of accommodations for handicap issues? We are traveling with an elderly parent who is unable to climb stairs, walk fast and may be in a portable walker. We are concerned with getting her to the appropriate muster station. We are on the Magic and not sure if they have their drill stations outside or if they are in the main dining room and theater. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They is a special place inside for people with disabilities. You can go to guest services when you board and ask the location also. There will be crew standing around to assist with the location. I have found that it is easier to start heading towards the station before they cut the elevators off.

Please see: https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

If you need general information about accessibility before you cruise, or have an ADA complaint, please call our Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744 ext.70025 or email access@carnival.com. Carnival's designated ADA Responsibility Officer is Vicky Rey, Vice President Guest Care and Port Services.

You can call or email carnivals guest access team, they will make sure that any necessary accommodations are made ahead of time for the muster drill and any other situations where limited mobility necessitates additional assistance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Can anyone tell me if Carnival makes any kind of accommodations for handicap issues? We are traveling with an elderly parent who is unable to climb stairs, walk fast and may be in a portable walker. We are concerned with getting her to the appropriate muster station. We are on the Magic and not sure if they have their drill stations outside or if they are in the main dining room and theater. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On the Magic they are inside. When you start to go to it just speak with one of the folks at the elevator and they will let you on the elevator. That was my experience on the Magic in April.

Just for information, we have experienced accessible muster a couple of different ways. On the Sunshine, there was a specific muster station for those who require accommodation or would require additional assistance in the event of an emergency. On the Dream, we attended the normal muster station (was in the large theater) and they made note of those who would require additional assistance. If I remember correctly, it was that way on the Fantasy Class ships, as well. We have not been on the Magic, but thought perhaps some idea of the kinds of things you could expect would be helpful.

On Magic, our cabin was midship and we mustered in the conference center on Mezzanine deck. There were folding chairs set up but not nearly enough for those attending, so many were standing or sitting on the floor (us). If you need a seat, go early. EM

On our upcoming Fantasy cruise, we are taking our grandchildren, one of whom is on the autism spectrum. He has sensory issues and I called to find out about a handicapped muster. He is 8 years old and will have a complete melt down if we have to stand outside in the heat with all the loud people and then the very loud horns. They were VERY accommodating!! Told me to check with guest services when we board and even offered to do a private muster if we needed to.

We go in 3 weeks, I will try to remember to post how well it goes.

You should call Carnival in advance of your cruise to advise of the need for special muster, and then when you board you should check in at Guest services to find out the location of the special need muster. At least this was what I was advised to do on my last cruise. I did this and it worked well for me.

They is a special place inside for people with disabilities. You can go to guest services when you board and ask the location also. There will be crew standing around to assist with the location. I have found that it is easier to start heading towards the station before they cut the elevators off.

Excellent advice,

On the Carnival Pride last year, folks were instructed to go to one of the lounges. Afterward, a crew member came around and made certain they had your name on the list of folks who may need assistance in case of emergency. It's best to contact the Special Needs Department beforehand, that way, they have the person's info prior to the cruise.

I can't speak for the Magic but we recently sailed on the Conquest and asked Guest Services where the muster drill would be that accommodates special needs guests and she didn't have a clue.

Last year we sailed on the Conquest and made our way by elevator (just tell the Carnival employees guarding the elevator that you can't do stairs) and they will allow you to use the elevators. We went to Deck 4 which accommodates the top level of their mid-ship restaurant and were welcomed with open arms. We sat in air conditioned comfort for the muster drill which only lasted 5 minutes. Carnival employees came around and scanned all our Sail & Sign cards. They released us first before any lifeboat stations were released so everyone could use the elevators before the stampede.

Something else you may want to consider... it is a long way up the gangway and sometimes even a long way through the port. If you call the special needs department, they can arrange for a wheelchair assist getting on and off the ship. We just had to do that with my mom and it worked out great. They brought her right to her room. Also, you can rent a manual wheelchair through a couple of companies. It was $75 for our 6 night cruise. That was the BEST thing we did. The intent was for her to just use it in the ports and 'if she needs' it on the ship. Well, we had her use it throughout the entire cruise and it made it so much better. Her problem is her breathing (she's on oxygen). We all agreed (especially my mom) that it would have been a disaster without the chair. The ships are big and walking down long corridors is difficult. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

My DH cannot stand thru a muster drill. When we board I go to Guest Services and ask where muster is being held.

If it is indoors as it is on some ships we just make an early start to the correct room. If it's out on deck the ship will have an indoor location for handicapped passengers and one person from their party to accompany them.

At this special muster they make note of those who need physical assistance in the event of an emergency.