Service Reward Letter

jeanlyon

Yes, it would be good if ccc666 could specify how he/she thinks we should tip for the best result for the crew.

Yes, I would also like to know if there is a preferred method of tipping that ccc666 and his or her colleagues prefer.

Yes, I would also like to know if there is a preferred method of tipping that ccc666 and his or her colleagues prefer.

Like Jean, we have always tipped in person via an envelope at the end of the cruise to those who have served us. When autograts came about my dad decided to go and speak to the cabin steward who he knew well from a previous cruise and simply asked him the crews opinion on the autograts and how they would prefer them to be paid - the old way or the new way. He said that they preferred the old way and so we have continued to pay them in full in person via an envelope ever since, divided between the cabin steward, waiters and an extra tip to the wine waiter.

Like Jean, we have always tipped in person via an envelope at the end of the cruise to those who have served us. When autograts came about my dad decided to go and speak to the cabin steward who he knew well from a previous cruise and simply asked him the crews opinion on the autograts and how they would prefer them to be paid - the old way or the new way. He said that they preferred the old way and so we have continued to pay them in full in person via an envelope ever since, divided between the cabin steward, waiters and an extra tip to the wine waiter.
The problem with the old way was lot's of people tipped little or nothing in anonymous envelopes.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

For your information the reason you don't see any posts from me on this subject is that my opinion on the issue is right there on my signature. For your further information the next time I cruise with P&O I will be removing the auto gratuity and giving a cash tip. I always left the AG on but now I realise it is for the companies benefit and not the crew or passengers.
I agree,tips in the fare so everyone pays.

The problem with the old way was lot's of people tipped little or nothing in anonymous envelopes.

Nobody should expect a tip and should be grateful for whatever they receive.

If you are relying on tips to make up your pay, either deliver exceptional service so people do tip or find another job.

People should not be looked down on just because they don't believe in the "we have always done it this way" approach.

How does anyone know what anyone else gives or doesn't give. The comment above about not giving anything in an anonymous envelope?

By the way,, the waiter who had done 26 years was quite the best we have ever had. And such a lovely man.

Edited by jeanlyon

How does anyone know what anyone else gives or doesn't give. The comment above about not giving anything in an anonymous envelope?
A family member openly bragged about never putting his name or cabin number on his envelopes he handed out in the MDR on the last night.

His thinking was they got that many envelopes and wouldn't know who left a small tip.

Originally posted by Selbourne In which case, we are in complete agreement. Whilst I would never begrudge the hard working staff earning well over £30k a year for a 70 hr a week job, I have always been under the impression that they earn far less. I am living in hope that with more and more passengers opting out, P&O will be forced to abolish the service charges, increase staff pay and put up cruise prices so that all passengers pay equally for this. Of course, the best benefit would be the end to all these repetitive tipping threads!clear.png?emoji-wink-1685clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

+1 agreed.

For 2 people who dislike tipping threads you 2 have over 45 posts on this one alone!!!;p

Originally posted by Selbourne In which case, we are in complete agreement. Whilst I would never begrudge the hard working staff earning well over £30k a year for a 70 hr a week job, I have always been under the impression that they earn far less. I am living in hope that with more and more passengers opting out, P&O will be forced to abolish the service charges, increase staff pay and put up cruise prices so that all passengers pay equally for this. Of course, the best benefit would be the end to all these repetitive tipping threads!clear.png?emoji-wink-1685clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

For 2 people who dislike tipping threads you 2 have over 45 posts on this one alone!!!;p

They do get repetitive but like yourself I read them and reply to posts where appropriate.

Guilty as charged John, although only 9 of the 45 are mine (oops, now 10) ;) I desperately try to avoid them, but when I see such complete tosh being presented as fact I cannot stop myself :rolleyes: In fact, on that basis, number 11 is inbound.....

My sentiments too,he has let us all see the true crew picture and I applaud him/her too.

I agree. I have read with interest the posts present and past and feel I now have a much better understanding of the AG scheme. To me it has been the clearest and most detailed explanation I have seen and which I believe. Any other suggestions, assumptions and opinions remain too vague so I'm prepared to accept this until anything more compelling persuades me otherwise.

I wish anything I pay as a gratuity to be 'an extra' - a thank you for good service to people who make my holiday special. As such I would like them to directly receive such 'thank yous' and not for it to be subsumed into a complex pay structure where the AGs prop up the wage bill.

Well I have learned something on here. I have always put the name of the CS, or waiter on the envelopes that I give, but have never thought to put my name on there. Maybe I should. Just never occurred to me. I will in future.

Well I have learned something on here. I have always put the name of the CS, or waiter on the envelopes that I give, but have never thought to put my name on there. Maybe I should. Just never occurred to me. I will in future.
I always write on my envelopes.

Thank you -

Graham & Pauline cabin no.

After what family member does by leaving a small tip in a blank envelope I make sure crew members are thanked and know who was thanking them.

You are quite right. I actually tipped my cabin steward on the penultimate night so hopefully he knew what I gave him and my friend next door always leaves hers in her cabin before he turns the bed.

But you're right and I will put our names on next time. Feel rather silly that I didn't do that before. I suppose also, if you leave AGS on and give a small tip as an extra, how would they know that you had left the AGs on? Anyway, that doesn't bother me, cos I take them off.

You are quite right. I actually tipped my cabin steward on the penultimate night so hopefully he knew what I gave him and my friend next door always leaves hers in her cabin before he turns the bed.

But you're right and I will put our names on next time. Feel rather silly that I didn't do that before. I suppose also, if you leave AGS on and give a small tip as an extra, how would they know that you had left the AGs on? Anyway, that doesn't bother me, cos I take them off.

About 10 years ago we were on a 7 night cruise with BL and SL.

We put £70 in the envelope for CS and they put unknown to us £10 in theirs.

We both handed the CS the blank envelopes together.

The same thing happened in the restaurant.

When we got home they asked what we tipped and they joked about what they had done and we were horrified to think the crew might have thought we were tight so that's when we decided we would always put our names on the envelopes.

We never went on a cruise with them again.

And why would you?

The tip is a reward for receiving good service.

If you want the recipient to look at the amount received and reflect on what a good person Mr/Ms X was for giving me such an amount, then I would suggest you are doing it for the wrong reason. Rather like some celebrities being ostentatious about their charity work.

And why would you?

The tip is a reward for receiving good service.

If you want the recipient to look at the amount received and reflect on what a good person Mr/Ms X was for giving me such an amount, then I would suggest you are doing it for the wrong reason. Rather like some celebrities being ostentatious about their charity work.

Read my post#247.

We take small thank you/blank cards with us which we write a small note in to the crew member and then place the tips money inside.
That is a great idea.

The crew deserve the tips and as I posted in #247 I want the crew member to be happy with my tip and not to think I am tight and that's why I write thank you with our name and cabin number on the envelopes.

In the case I highlighted I gave £140 and BIL gave £20 in our blank envelopes and both the CS and waiters would not have known who was generous and who was a tightwad.

You could always write something like “A small extra Thank You from X and Y in cabin Z”.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is a great idea.

The crew deserve the tips and as I posted in #247 I want the crew member to be happy with my tip and not to think I am tight and that's why I write thank you with our name and cabin number on the envelopes.

In the case I highlighted I gave £140 and BIL gave £20 in our blank envelopes and both the CS and waiters would not have known who was generous and who was a tightwad.

So you didn't simply want to leave a tip, but you wanted to receive the reward of knowing that the CS considered you were generous to them.

You didn't simply want to give the money but wanted something in return.

If you were simply rewarding good service what difference would it make to you whether the CS thought you were the "tightwad" or the guy flashing their money around.

So you didn't simply want to leave a tip, but you wanted to receive the reward of knowing that the CS considered you were generous to them.

You didn't simply want to give the money but wanted something in return.

If you were simply rewarding good service what difference would it make to you whether the CS thought you were the "tightwad" or the guy flashing their money around.

Which one are you? Generous or Tightwad?