Pretzels and Snacks

I empty snacks into zip lock bags and bring them. They stay fresh when kept in the zip lock bags.

Not a good idea. Should always bring them in factory sealed bags, especially if you plan to take them off the ship.

On what do you base this information?
Some ports are strict with what you take off. Like Cozumel has dogs to sniff out food on cruise passengers coming ashore. Other ports aren't as crazy so sneaking can be easier, though most do have rules on what food can be brought ashore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On Allure a week ago chips on any night were hard to come by in Park Cafe or Cafe Promenade. I went looking for them for the grandkids, so I know. Also only sealed items can go off ship in ports so those with dietary issues need to get earlier. So unless you order bags of chips from room service at night, the only salty option is the tiny popcorn sold in the theatre for $2.50. Believe it or not the same kids not very interested in eating at their 5:30 dinner time wanted snacks to munch later. We made sure to grab apples and other fruit for when they did need a snack, as well as cookies etc... and learned to have chicken, cheese, and raw vegetables and dip (packages of ranch dressing from Sorentos or from room service). The little ones actually became grumpy because they were so distracted at dinner they did not realize they were hungry, we learned to race to pre-feed them at windjammer before went to dinner. After 9pm there is actually very little food available on the ship to eat. Had the head waiter not taken such good care to send needed items to my cabin I would have had a problem. I needed to eat late at night with medication and most days only can eat one real meal. So yes, without some preplanning some of us could go hungry on a cruise ship. But my head water Daniel Calin spoiled me and my DH and now I keep thinking there should be someone here to provide for my needs just for the asking. Next time a B to B.

On the Allure I once saw a woman walking away from the Park Cafe with a carrier bag chock full of small bags of chips. She had cleaned them out! None left for anyone else. Boo

Lovely. This is why on some ships they put the chips behind the counter and you must ask for them.

All do need to be factory sealed. Even a home sealing machine is not good enough and may be confiscated.

Nonsense

Some ports are strict with what you take off. Like Cozumel has dogs to sniff out food on cruise passengers coming ashore. Other ports aren't as crazy so sneaking can be easier, though most do have rules on what food can be brought ashore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The OP said nothing about taking snacks off the ship

Oh the ship will surely not run out of food. But if I am having a coke and want a few pretzels, while on vacation, well, I'd be very happy if I had a few :)

One some ships they can be hard to find. The Park Cafe on the Oasis class you can find chips.

I usually have some snacks I've bought after I go through security at the airport for the flight that don't get eaten so I bring them on the ship, where they don't get eaten. It's embarrassing to see the long table of food confiscated at some of the ports that people bring off the ship in spite of being told not to take anything not pre-packaged. There's not a day that goes by that on some cruise message board people don't talk about how they took baggies with sandwich meat, made sandwiches and took fruit off the ship.It's not like they don't have food and snacks at these ports. I can't imagine anything more unappealing (or unsafe) than lugging meat around in my beach bag for hours. A can of nuts or pre-packaged pretzels is one thing, but it's not like you have to hoard food on a cruise ship and need to haul off every bag of chips to your cabin.

All do need to be factory sealed. Even a home sealing machine is not good enough and may be confiscated.

All we can do on CC is share our experience and learn from one another. Reality is none of us have extensive knowledge of all destinations and restrictions that may apply at individual ports. However, my experience to date is that it is best not to take fresh food items off the ship. IMO dry snacks like pretzels are ok and do not have to be in factory sealed bags.