Passport Q - Summit Re-positioning Cape Liberty to San Juan - 10-21-18

ckmommy72

We are booking the above cruise and I have a question. I searched but didn't' see this exact answer.

My DH has a passport card. He cruised with it last April from Baltimore to FL, Nassau and Freeport, and back to Baltimore.

Our travel agent is saying he needs to get a full passport book for this upcoming cruise, but I'm not 100% sold that this is the case. We leave from an american port (NJ), sail to St. Maarten (foreign), St. Thomas (US) and San Juan (US) where we will fly home. Seems like as we are flying home from a US city, he wouldn't need a passport (but he'd have his card), and as the card is a WHTI document, seems like he'd be okay in St. Maarten.

I just want to be sure that we don't have any issues with the card. He will get a book if needed, but he has zero interest in flying out of the country (he hates to fly, and is doing so from SJ because we really want to do this cruise), so he'd have almost no use for it. We don't want an issue, so we'll get it if necessary.

Thanks

Would recommend contacting Homeland Security to confirm.

My understanding of "Closed Loop" cruises which allow for traveling without a passport only when the starting and end port are one and the same port.

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting."

My understanding of "Closed Loop" cruises which allow for traveling without a passport only when the starting and end port are one and the same port.

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting."

This is my understanding as well. I've done repo cruises which start and end in different US ports and a passport has always been required.

He does have a passport, just a card, not a book...my question is if that is sufficient, as the cruise is not closed loop.

The card is valid for land and sea crossings within North America and the Caribbean, and technically speaking you don’t need a passport at all to travel to PR since it’s part of the US. So the card should suffice, although you run the risk of being trapped in Saint Maarten if you miss the ship because you wouldn’t be able to fly onward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would strongly suggest you contact Celebrity.

I second this, since they are the ones who will allow you to embark the ship... or not. I think the wording of the closed-loop cruise exemption “cruises that begin and end at the same port” is going to be the important bit. Since the cruise starts at one port and finishes at another, a passport is required. Even if I’m wrong about that, cruise lines can and sometimes do require passports for cruises that would otherwise be exempt.

Generally speaking, a cruise that leaves from one US port and finishes at another US port requires a full passport. But I think there was an exception made for Puerto Rico. Perhaps some more googling should be done. But it could be that the exception was to the PVSA requirement to visit a distant foreign port.

I questioned Mr. Google and came up with this 'related' question from the US Passport site, which should answer the question, although in reverse:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/do-children-need-passport-to-travel-by-cruise-from-puerto-rico-to-new-jersey.html EM

Thank you to all who responded. I called Celebrity and was told that the passport card should, indeed, be just fine, although, of course it is recommended to get a book just in case.

Just thought I'd update :)

Thank you to all who responded. I called Celebrity and was told that the passport card should, indeed, be just fine, although, of course it is recommended to get a book just in case.

Just thought I'd update :)

Thank you for coming back, not many people do that but I would make a couple quick suggestions. Try and get that in writing and absent that call Celebrity to speak to another person and see what they say. Celebrity is notorious for having inaccurate CSOs. I should have mentioned that in my first post but wanted you to know that you should get to the horse's mouth.

Thank you for coming back, not many people do that but I would make a couple quick suggestions. Try and get that in writing and absent that call Celebrity to speak to another person and see what they say. Celebrity is notorious for having inaccurate CSOs. I should have mentioned that in my first post but wanted you to know that you should get to the horse's mouth.

Thanks, Don. I figured I'd call back in a month or so, in plenty of time to apply for his book if necessary. We are veteran Disney vacationers (World, not cruise line) and their CSR's are notoriously wrong all the time, so I always speak with a couple at the least to verify. That's why i came here first...figured I'd get more reliable info! :)

While a Passport Card may be sufficient to cruise—I’m not personally convinced under the circumstances described here—it is never, to the best of my knowledge, sufficient to fly between any two American airports (ie; San Juan to Newark though, for now, a Driver’s License may be sufficient).

Passport Cards are primarily used to expedite Immigration clearance during motor vehicle trips crossing the US/Canada and US/Mexico borders.

Don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm but strongly encourage you to research for definitive answers at the US State Department website rather than rely on guidance/interpretation you receive—no matter how well intended—from Celebrity or Cruise Critic members...

Potentially, there is much at stake should you make the wrong decision... Read carefully; consider all possibilities (including the possible need to return to the US from any port on an emergency basis).

The beginning and endpoints aren’t the only issue. What islands are involved and what do they require?

Yes, this is exactly why I was unsure...I know if we left the US and ended in the US, we'd be fine, but stopping in St. Maarten was the question.

Thanks!

I highly recommend that you refer your question to the official US government travel site: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/. It has been my experience that X reps are notoriously erroneous with answers regarding travel docs needed and I would much rather get an official and correct answer and as wise and well travelled are our fellow Cruise Critic members we've all been known to make an error (however well meaning) from time to time. It has been my understanding that the passport card is valid for surface travel between the US, Canada and Mexico only. Puerto Rico, since it is a part of the US (although not a state) doesn't require a passport of any kind. I have both the card and book, but do not depend on the card for Caribbean cruises. I wouldn't want to chance getting the incorrect information from someone here or at X and having an issue that could potentially ruin my vacation.

Here's another link to FAQ's about needing a passport: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

Edited by Luvcrusn
Addition

Generally speaking, a cruise that leaves from one US port and finishes at another US port requires a full passport. But I think there was an exception made for Puerto Rico. Perhaps some more googling should be done. But it could be that the exception was to the PVSA requirement to visit a distant foreign port.

I questioned Mr. Google and came up with this 'related' question from the US Passport site, which should answer the question, although in reverse:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/do-children-need-passport-to-travel-by-cruise-from-puerto-rico-to-new-jersey.html EM

That’s not the government site.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I highly recommend that you refer your question to the official US government travel site: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/. It has been my experience that X reps are notoriously erroneous with answers regarding travel docs needed and I would much rather get an official and correct answer and as wise and well travelled are our fellow Cruise Critic members we've all been known to make an error (however well meaning) from time to time. It has been my understanding that the passport card is valid for surface travel between the US, Canada and Mexico only. Puerto Rico, since it is a part of the US (although not a state) doesn't require a passport of any kind. I have both the card and book, but do not depend on the card for Caribbean cruises. I wouldn't want to chance getting the incorrect information from someone here or at X and having an issue that could potentially ruin my vacation.

Here's another link to FAQ's about needing a passport: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

Or really, just get the passport book and know that he’s covered. Peace of mind is worth a lot!

Passport is the best idea, esp if you have any issues in non US ports and need to fly home from there

For us in NY we are also dealing with real ID and enhanced drivers license issues... we will be taking our passports everywhere til we figure it out.

here is the verification (in reverse) from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

enhance

This site has no ".gov" at the end of it, the information is way misleading...the the horses mouth seems to be a woman somewhere in Massachusetts (likely well meaning but wrong).

The information you need is here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

As documented on the state department website, the card is fine for the cruise you are taking (St. Martin is in the Carribean). As you already noted both are passports - the card has limited use.

I now have both a book and a card. I use the card when I fly - I will not have a real ID compliant license before my state waiver expires and travel outside of the US with my passport book.

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

....I questioned Mr. Google and came up with this 'related' question from the US Passport site, which should answer the question, although in reverse:

Although this quoted post was undoubtedly well-intentioned, readers should beware because the link provided is definitely NOT for the US passport website.

It is just the website of some private expediting service that turned up in a google search.

Their website even acknowledges right up at the top:

"This is a privately owned website and not a government agency."

Edited by varoo