Teen worried about Bliss

Wow. That’s one of the rudest, snarkiest, disrespectful posts I’ve seen on cruise critic. The winky face doesn’t soften it.

I thought the “buckle up” advice was pretty good....99% of teens are a challenge...but well worth it...

I wonder how much those courts get used on Alaskan cruises. I'm on the Bliss next week so I've been keeping my eyes on Alaskan weather and I'm seeing a lot of ~50-60 degree temps and rain. I suspect that those basketball courts don't get used at all in the rain while it seems that the lasertag and racetracks could be used in the rain (to a point).

I'm making a lot of assumptions here. Can anyone chime in with confirmation that the basketball courts on other ships sit empty during non-sunny days?

Wow. That’s one of the rudest, snarkiest, disrespectful posts I’ve seen on cruise critic. The winky face doesn’t soften it.

Rulers Mom

There is nothing snarky or rude about my post. Instead of calling me rude why not offer advice? I am sorry if you thought my advice was somehow disrespectful. What are your options here? Lets begin again.

A 14 year old has been on 15 cruises and states he does not want to sail Bliss because there are not enough activities.

What is your advice? I live in reality. Personally its hard for me to relate because as I mentioned my family never took vacations. Would you cancel the cruise? Make him stay at a friends house? Switch ships? Remind him how lucky he is to cruise 15 times and Bliss is one of the best ships in the world? I hope its something better than calling everyone rude who dared offer advice.

Its easy to call people names Rulers Mom. But you still failed to offer the OP any advice. Nothing I said was snarky or out of bounds. Just because I offer advice and try to get the OP to think differently, I should not be attacked or called rude. You just come in, cut and run without a peep of advice.:*:*:*

I personally don't buy the theory there are not enough activities on board. But anyone is free to disagree. Sometimes people write there is nothing to eat on a cruise ship. I don't buy those theories either.

I hope the OP and family have a wonderful cruise and come back to tell us all about it. Curious her son's opinion if they still plan to sail Bliss.

Edited by david_sobe

Rulers Mom

There is nothing snarky or rude about my post. Instead of calling me rude why not offer advice? I am sorry if you thought my advice was somehow disrespectful. What are your options here? Lets begin again.

A 14 year old has been on 15 cruises and states he does not want to sail Bliss because there are not enough activities.

What is your advice? I live in reality. Personally its hard for me to relate because as I mentioned my family never took vacations. Would you cancel the cruise? Make him stay at a friends house? Switch ships? Remind him how lucky he is to cruise 15 times and Bliss is one of the best ships in the world? I hope its something better than calling everyone rude who dared offer advice.

Its easy to call people names Rulers Mom. But you still failed to offer the OP any advice. Nothing I said was snarky or out of bounds. Just because I offer advice and try to get the OP to think differently, I should not be attacked or called rude. You just come in, cut and run without a peep of advice.:*:*:*

Where does it say lack of activities? I know for my boys, the sports deck is at the top of their favorite things to do on a cruise, they spend many hours a day there. What if NCL built a ship without pools? I’m sure many would be disappointed (I’d be fine with it). The OP didn’t say he didn’t want to cruise, it seems like he’s hesitant and concerned there won’t be as much to do. I don’t know how many kids you have, but this is a tough age.

OP here.. We all know everyone’s opinions are different and that’s fine. I never said he didn’t want to cruise on the Bliss. He just has concerns about the activities that would appeal to him. Yes he’s been on a lot of cruises but that shouldn’t make any difference. He’s a good kid who is not rebellious and he doesn’t just think of himself. He also knows that the go karts and laser tag cost money and he doesn’t want us to have to spend a lot of money doing that. I just wanted to see if others with teens had the same concerns but I feel that that got lost. It’s all good. I will just wait to see once kids have finally been on the ship to see if we should cancel or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where does it say lack of activities? I know for my boys, the sports deck is at the top of their favorite things to do on a cruise, they spend many hours a day there. What if NCL built a ship without pools? I’m sure many would be disappointed (I’d be fine with it). The OP didn’t say he didn’t want to cruise, it seems like he’s hesitant and concerned there won’t be as much to do. I don’t know how many kids you have, but this is a tough age.

That made me lol, I too wouldn't care as there is no way in hell I will get in any community pool/hot tub on land or at sea.

As I said in my earlier post, nothing worse then vacationing with bored teens, you try to fit in activities for all.

The kid isn't concerned about lack of activities...just that one of his preferred activities isn't available. As I thought more about it...teens sometimes find it awkward socializing and meeting new people. Sports is a very comfortable way for some teens to make friends. The teen club is available but as I've learned with my daughter that can be hit or miss depending on the crowd, activities scheduled and counselor. And as far as "first world problem" sounds like a true hater that they are exposing their child to world travel. You sound like great parents!!

I will be traveling with two teens and have similar concerns, OP. Right now the reviews are pretty much all from adult oriented trips (wining & dining, lounges, spa, etc.) and not really relevant to our traveling party. I am looking forward to hearing from some family cruisers.

The go carts go 30 MPH. That definitely is not slow.

Would you all call me a bad mom if my son told me he did not want to cruise with the ship because the go carts went too slow and I told him he did not have to go? Because that is what I would do.

None of us find vacations that fit for everyone. Kids can be tough especially on long car rides. I am lucky because we don't have any problems with cruising. I would not call it tough love but you make the best of what you got especially on vacation. My children have imput on vacations but if I surprise them with a cruise and they are cranky about going they are welcome to stay with the grand parents. You can flame me all you want LOL

As someone who has driven sports cars on actual tracks like Sebring and Daytona I still had a good time on the GoKart track.

9032_AE75-_CA93-449_A-_A04_A-2_B743_CA6992_C.jpg

It definitely feels faster than the videos make it look. Eight laps is plenty.

86FB7447-3957-4E2D-BBCF-30CB2F23D31B.jpg

9_E846808-_DC86-4_BA3-85_B0-_F31_E28_A52_EC0.jpg

E4_CB2_FAF-7271-45_C9-821_B-0_CDA74_CDB195.jpg

The double decker design and the elevation changes make it more fun than the usual flat track. The turns are very tight and the simulated engine sound is piped into the helmets.

It is very windy at the track so it could become very cold for most Alaska cruises. We chose to schedule ours for the afternoon leaving Seattle.

My biggest issues were that the “boost” button on the steering wheel didn’t seem to do anything.

Also the track was a little too tight to allow for passing so I got caught up behind slower traffic for most of the race. I just passed two cars on the lower start/finish straight.

And if you are plagued with a giant melon head like myself you will have a hard time getting a helmet that fits because they are full face helmets. I had to ask the attendant to find the largest helmet they had and even so it was painful to put on and I really had to struggle to get my glasses back on because there was no space to put the eyeglass arms over my ears.

Edited by Motegi

OP here.. We all know everyone’s opinions are different and that’s fine. I never said he didn’t want to cruise on the Bliss. He just has concerns about the activities that would appeal to him. Yes he’s been on a lot of cruises but that shouldn’t make any difference. He’s a good kid who is not rebellious and he doesn’t just think of himself. He also knows that the go karts and laser tag cost money and he doesn’t want us to have to spend a lot of money doing that. I just wanted to see if others with teens had the same concerns but I feel that that got lost. It’s all good. I will just wait to see once kids have finally been on the ship to see if we should cancel or not.

what date are you going we are on the thanksgiving cruise and we were wondering about the activities we have a 16 yo active dd

what date are you going we are on the thanksgiving cruise and we were wondering about the activities we have a 16 yo active dd

We are going on the Thanksgiving cruise to. We take a cruise during Thanksgiving every year so we know there will be a lot of other teens onboard.

OP, if you are thinking about the go-karts & laser tag, keep in mind they cost and you can run up a big bill in a hurry. (from others' posts, I don't know yet myself). Not judging, just part of your decision-making.

I know how quickly the cost to do these activities can add up. Our son actually thinks the price of the go karts is a little high and doesn’t want to spend too much on it.

We are going on July 15th, I have two teen boys, 16 and 15. I will give you their perspective after we sail if you'd like. This is their first cruise though, so they don't know any different.

I look forward to hearing/reading their perspective. Thank you.

Good answer

The Bliss is the newest and one of the biggest cruise ships in the world. How could anyone complain there is nothing to do especially with such amazing things for kids.... the insane water slides, laser tag, go carts, etc.

LMAO. You nailed it right on the head. Its the rebellion phase projecting on to the family vacation :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You realize that most kids in the world will never have the luxury to take anywhere near a vacation like this. If you are cruising for a basketball court then perhaps a basketball summer camp is the better vacation option.

No one is being rude. We just understand the rebellion phase. If its really a shame then cancel the cruise and book another ship with basketball courts. Problem solved.

This is the perfect example of first world problems ;)

You forgot to tell her son to stay off your lawn. If the kid was on his phone the whole cruise you would probably say that was the problem. The fact that her son wants to play basketball or any other sport is far from a problem. Guess she should just hand him a $20 and send him to the poker tables or belly up to the bar. Just because an adult can enjoy sitting there on a lounger for 6 hours doesn't mean a teenager would. Just remember, you were a kid once too. lol

If i was your son i would feel the same, i would prefer the sports deck from the other away ships over the bliss go karts. i think such a big space on a cruise ship for go karts is a dumb idear. But NCL can do what they want.

The Go Karts are a big $$$ maker for NCL. They doubled their price from $5 to $10 in a few weeks after seeing it's popularity.

My teen was on about 6 cruises with us. He's 21 and in the airforce now. He was bored a lot of the time, but enjoyed entourage on most cruises (depends on the other kids, right?) At 18, he aged out of entourage and told us on no uncertain terms he didn't want to cruise any more. He hasn't been on one since. We do land vacations occasionally, but honestly, he prefers to stay home and hang with his friends on the rare occasions he has a break. We go on cruises with my 25 year old daughter.

Your son will have a great opportunity to decide if the new features are worth not having the b-ball court or not, weigh the pros and cons of the new ship etc. Maybe he will even write a review for teens. I love it when kids do that! He might prove himself right - that the Bliss isn't for him. He might find that there are other less well advertised things to do. He might find an amazing group of entourage friends and not know. In any case, new experiences are broadening and help you reflect on future travel options. Encourage him to take a risk and try it out. If he likes it, great. If he doesn't, there's always cruise #16 around the corner.

squeeze the Most Money out of your loyal Customer as Long as you can. Other cruise Lines speak about making their loyal Customer happy, and they Are making Money too. Ncl is too much talking about making Money. Never Heard del Rio Talking about making Customer happy, only about making Money and what high prices they can get. Marketing error.

But still like ncl. But wish they had more Free things for Kids/teens/ families at the bliss.

We are booked on the Bliss for this November. It will be myself, DH and our DS(14). This will be our sons 15th cruise so he knows what he likes and doesn’t like. While my DH and I are looking forward to the Bliss because she looks amazing, our son just doesn’t feel the same. He is very very active. He is mostly upset that there is no basketball court and that the go karts look slow and won’t be that much fun. Now after hearing it will cost $9.95 per ride I’m hoping that he won’t go on them too often.

Is anyone else in the same situation or have the same concerns?

I can’t wait to start hearing from people who are cruising this summer with teens and their experiences.

Entourage is very cool but on other ships there is also sports courts which they would have games such as dodgeball. My 15 year old is bummed too that there is no sports court. I just told him to make friends and explore every area of the ship. Get in trouble, be annoying, have fun and be a kid

[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

How lucky your son is to have been on 15 cruises! Some children never have the privilege, so I would ask "does your son know how fortunate he is??"

Everybody likes different things. My parents were in their globetrotting phase when I was a teen and the only thing I wanted was to stay home, work my summer job and see my friends. It was a big sacrifice to go. When I was 16, I persuaded them to leave me and my older (19yo) brother at home while they toured China and Australia for a month. I've still never been to either place, but I have no regrets, it was a fantastic summer at home. At age 16, being dragged on tours with middle-aged couples was not my idea of a good time.

It's important to see it from their perspective and not just yours.

As it is, my extended family is planning a 9-day Baltics cruise in August 2019 as part of my immediate family's 3.5-week European vacation and I am nervous about how my teen kids (13 and 15 at the time) will like it. I can tell them they're lucky all I want, but the truth is, my son would rather skip the entire trip and stay home with his buddies, and my daughter would probably be happier cycling around Paris and poking around vintage clothing shops. The one and only time we did a resort all-inclusive, one of the top rated, they liked the non-stop ice cream but otherwise we all felt kind of trapped. I'm making them go on this one for the family time, and because when they get to their late teens, I wouldn't make them give up summer job opportunities to travel so I see it as possibly our last chance.

Meeting new friends in Entourage would go a long way to making them happier, but I notice the teen threads don't get a lot of replies, which makes me worry that the teen population on a cruise ship is pretty low. Luckily they will be with their cousins, but if OP doesn't have that luxury, I can definitely see her concern.

Entourage is very cool but on other ships there is also sports courts which they would have games such as dodgeball. My 15 year old is bummed too that there is no sports court. I just told him to make friends and explore every area of the ship. Get in trouble, be annoying, have fun and be a kid

[emoji23]

RATHER NOT BE ANNOYING. Nothing worse than being irritated by other peoples children

[emoji23]

He always seems to make a few good friends since we cruise during Thanksgiving and there are lots of kids on board.

With not a lot of free things for kids/teens to do, or activities that will take up some time, you really have to wonder what exactly they will be doing.

You are right that Entourage did activities on the sports deck so I wonder how they fill that time.

I still look forward to hear from other teens how they liked it.