Teen worried about Bliss

I know I asked for advice but I feel this turned into a bashing of my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a neutral observer I don't think anyone was bashing your son. Heck we don't even know the lad. One of the posters even commented that they didn't intend their post the way it was received.

We all have different life experiences, communication styles and ways of parenting. You will get a little of everything when asking a question like this. The best bet is to assume that the person on the other end means only the best. Sometimes "Suck it up buttercup" is actually a really helpful, kind piece of advice. Assume the best and pick the posts that help you sort it out. They may be different posts from the ones that help me sort out my similar situation :-)

I never took my kids on a cruise since they were not really into things offered by the ships. Their "vacation" money was spent on Space Camps, summers marching/touring in Drum & Bugle Corps (DCI), and a bunch of trips to Universal Orlando. Every kid is different.

He always seems to make a few good friends since we cruise during Thanksgiving and there are lots of kids on board.

With not a lot of free things for kids/teens to do, or activities that will take up some time, you really have to wonder what exactly they will be doing.

You are right that Entourage did activities on the sports deck so I wonder how they fill that time.

I still look forward to hear from other teens how they liked it.

I saw the activities list posted on one of the Alaska reviews. If you are interested to get an early look.

He always seems to make a few good friends since we cruise during Thanksgiving and there are lots of kids on board.

With not a lot of free things for kids/teens to do, or activities that will take up some time, you really have to wonder what exactly they will be doing.

You are right that Entourage did activities on the sports deck so I wonder how they fill that time.

I still look forward to hear from other teens how they liked it.

I am hoping that they do go kart rides or laser tag for them at least one day. NCL is having an issue with the Go Karts being overly crowded but when you only have 2 activities (5 holes of mini golf does not count) you pretty much have set the tone. Even us adults played a pick up game on the last cruise. I was also a bit bummed to see no court tbh. I think its a good thing they are bummed by no sports courts rather than being bummed they dont get high speed internet or have access to their video games.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I am hoping that they do go kart rides or laser tag for them at least one day. NCL is having an issue with the Go Karts being overly crowded but when you only have 2 activities (5 holes of mini golf does not count) you pretty much have set the tone. Even us adults played a pick up game on the last cruise. I was also a bit bummed to see no court tbh. I think its a good thing they are bummed by no sports courts rather than being bummed they dont get high speed internet or have access to their video games.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Lol, that's what I was thinking! He prefers physical activity and friendships over the bells and whistles? Sounds like a kid with healthy priorities.

@gatorchinsky I wish I could help with a review. Hopefully somebody here can. I do know that I'm going to make my kids contribute an extensive review when they're done to help any other teens (although not of the Bliss - we are on the Getaway).

Man, people forget what it was like to be a teenager!

I totally understand your POV, OP. Every Caribbean cruise I've been on, the sports complex was used every day, and in passing I'd normally see the same group of people playing basketball, etc, and then said group would venture out together and do other things around the ship.

To be honest with you, as a lot of others have said, the entourage could be hit or miss. There could be a point where just "roaming the ship" and talking to new friends can get stale - they truly have no place to exert the extra energy that they'll have.

Truthfully, I may consider switching ships ONLY because of the lack of free activities as well since your son seems to be responsible and actually cares about where the funds are going (as you mentioned, he feels the go-kart is a bit high - especially if he wants to do something active at least once a day, which when I was his age wanted to as well).

Have you thought about checking out Harmony/Symphony? So much (free) things to do for teens, and also some beautiful areas for you and your SO to explore on your own as well. Also Getaway/Breakaway, but I don't truly know where they'll be sailing out of come November.

My SO and I are on the Bliss the week after you, and are looking forward to it. But if I were a teenager, I'd also be a bit apprehensive. It's not just about the lack of sports complex...it's the lack of free "ACTIVE"ities to enjoy. But as others have mentioned, this is a purpose built ship for Alaska, so that could explain the lack of certain outdoor activities.

I did hear a rumor that they're going to add a basketball court, but I'm not sure how true that is (and where it could even go).

Good luck on whatever you decide to do! Your son sounds like a good kid.

I get where you're coming from.. I have two active boys, they been on almost 10 cruises. They were 3 and 9 when they started, they are now 20 and 26! But usually, the first question that would come up was, 'what is there to do on this ship'?! They to love playing hoop, especially in their teen years.. they're not into dancing and all that stuff, so sports or activities were important to them. If the ship looked boring, they had the option to stay with grandparents. Guess what? They never took that option, lol!

I'm sure you're son will find something to do. My boys always did, even on this last Princess Ruby cruise, where it was boring as heck!! I've never been on the Bliss, so I can't speak on that, but perhaps you can make it up while in port and do something that will feed his adrenaline! Jet Ski's, Zip Line, ATV's, etc.!

Hope you and your son have a great trip!

Wow, I don't understand where some of these comments are coming from!! It was a simply question/comment... Has nothing to do with being grateful/not grateful! SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!

And some wonder why some people don't like posting/asking questions on CC!

sorry but the kid needs to be grateful he's going on a cruise vacation (or any vacation at all). i never went on trips like this when i was a kid.

Tell us about how when you were a kid you had to walk five miles through the snow everyday to school and both directions were uphill only to come home to a lukewarm bowl of gruel. ;p

Make sure he signs up for the Entrouge club. (I know I spelled that wrong) ages 13-17. My DD met so many new friends. We sailed in April and she is still texing them. They never ran out of thing to do. This was on the Jade.

We are booked on the Bliss for this November. It will be myself, DH and our DS(14). This will be our sons 15th cruise so he knows what he likes and doesn’t like. While my DH and I are looking forward to the Bliss because she looks amazing, our son just doesn’t feel the same. He is very very active. He is mostly upset that there is no basketball court and that the go karts look slow and won’t be that much fun. Now after hearing it will cost $9.95 per ride I’m hoping that he won’t go on them too often.

Is anyone else in the same situation or have the same concerns?

I can’t wait to start hearing from people who are cruising this summer with teens and their experiences.

I spent 15 days on Bliss through the Panama Canal. I have a few comments:

1. The go karts are lots of fun. I have sporty cars at home & like a tight curve - and the go karts provide that. They're really low to the ground, and feel quite speedy.

2. Not sure if the prices went up already, but they charged us $7 for 8 laps.

3. There won't be as much free time for basketball, etc. as you might have in the Carribbean, especially if you've done several cruises there before....it will be cold outside, and there will be lots to see.

4. There's a bowling alley (2) behind the big screen on deck 7.

5. The laser tag is a bit of a workout - every time you're hit, you have to quickly walk back to 'base' to recharge & go back out again. We had a real blast (pun intended) with this, and it was a workout too.

6. There's an arcade including traditional games and some virtual reality stuff.

7. The Teen Club should keep him occupied some of the time.

8. The slides are fun. As you said, he'll get some exercise walking up the stairs over & again.

If he sets out annoyed that there's not 1 or 2 things, he'll have a bad time. Encourage him to explore the new things, and he'll find he doesn't have enough time to miss the basketball.

Plus, if he NEEDS to get rid of energy, there is always the jogging track....no minimum age there.

Stephen

"Kids today don't get enough fresh air like when I was a kid - they are always on their screens.

"My son is a bit concerned there is no Sports Court or Ropes Court on the Bliss, cant use the gym - how will he get exercise"

"Your kid is spoiled he should be happy he gets a vacation"

My son is 15 - he loves vacations , he is also not crazy about getting zero exercise on a seven day cruise. It doesnt make him a monster or ungrateful.

I find it odd that a society that recognizes that kids are spending less time trying to stay fit would think it is wrong for a teen to wish that there was some place for them to stay fit.

At worst NCL should open the gym to teens for an hour or two a day.

"Kids today don't get enough fresh air like when I was a kid - they are always on their screens.

"My son is a bit concerned there is no Sports Court or Ropes Court on the Bliss, cant use the gym - how will he get exercise"

My son is 15 - he loves vacations , he is also not crazy about getting zero exercise on a seven day cruise. It doesnt make him a monster or ungrateful.

I find it odd that a society that recognizes that kids are spending less time trying to stay fit would think it is wrong for a teen to wish that there was some place for them to stay fit.

It does seem like quite an oversight to leave out a sports court.

Jeff, I'm pretty much a gym rat myself, even while I cruise and I can tell you even if your son is 15 if he goes with you and works out where you are no one will say anything to him.

Hope that helps.

It does seem like quite an oversight to leave out a sports court.

I don't think so Mom, I think they are giving the the kids want they want and there is a lot of alternative activities for the kids. NCL, in my opinion, on the large ships have wonderful choices for kids. You know the old saying though: "You can't please everyone".

Jeff, I'm pretty much a gym rat myself, even while I cruise and I can tell you even if your son is 15 if he goes with you and works out where you are no one will say anything to him.

Wrong. Must be 18 to use the gym or spa. Key cards know your date of birth. Apparently you have never cruised with kids.

Gym rat, yeah ok LOL

Edited by Sara_smile

Wrong. And that is surprising since you always quote NCL policy. Must be 18 to use the gym or spa. Key cards know your date of birth. Apparently you have never cruised with kids.

Nope, you are absolutely wrong. I've seen plenty of kids in the gym with their parents who are not 18. ColinIllinois is right.

Wrong. Must be 18 to use the gym or spa. Key cards know your date of birth. Apparently you have never cruised with kids.

Gym rat, yeah ok LOL

Well, look who's back. How many posts are you going to get deleted tonight? :rolleyes:

Nope, you are absolutely wrong. I've seen plenty of kids in the gym with their parents who are not 18. ColinIllinois is right.

Oh please do tell which ship and when. My kids were never allowed to work out or go to the spa with me. I have worked out in many NCL gyms and don't recall ever seeing children work out even with their parents. Maybe this is new. Do tell.

Oh please do tell which ship and when. My kids were never allowed to work out or go to the spa with me. I have worked out in many NCL gyms and don't recall ever seeing children work out even with their parents. Maybe this is new. Do tell.

Not sure why you are coming across so angry BUT I'll answer your question. I've been on most of the NCL ships except for the two newest ones and I can tell you for a fact that I have seen older teens who are with their parents have no problems working out in the gym. It's not a pack of young teens who are acting up or causing trouble. Pretty much common sense. Most of the places don't even check the cards.

It should be that way. Common sense.

Not sure why you are coming across so angry BUT I'll answer your question. I've been on most of the NCL ships except for the two newest ones and I can tell you for a fact that I have seen older teens who are with their parents have no problems working out in the gym. It's not a pack of young teens who are acting up or causing trouble. Pretty much common sense. Most of the places don't even check the cards.

It should be that way. Common sense.

Angry? Pack of teen? What? I am not angry and I never said there was a pack of teens. I don't have a problem with kids working out with their parents but have not seen it. So I am curious. Maybe the kids you saw were 18 and 19 year old?