Just off of the Horizon, mixed feelings

nicole9s

. I was able to brush off most of the passenger BS (although the 14 year old that cursed me out because I told her my husband was sitting next to me was a little much) but if this is Carnival's flagship, I thought they wanted the best and brightest of crew staffing it. Some of the crew seemed like they got on the ship with us...or were ready to get off with us when we got back to NY, lol.

Oh, that boy would have rued the day he cursed at me.

The guy in the top picture is Mike Pack. Seems like a genuinely nice person. Was the CD on our last two Breeze cruises. Sorry to know he won't be on the Breeze this year. He must be Carnival's #1 guy to get that ship.

We too had Mike for our last 2 Breeze (Thanksgiving) cruises! He is absolutely fantastic. I've never seen another cruise director put that much effort and energy into their job. He personally brings a cruise up a notch!

There is no guarantee that if you do that, it will stop at your destination deck. That would be pure luck.

If it is a port day, and the mad rush was going to the gangplank deck 3 or whatever deck it is. Then the logical thing is everybody is going down. So if you catch one going up when it starts going down the chances of it stopping on every floor is great.

If it is a port day, and the mad rush was going to the gangplank deck 3 or whatever deck it is. Then the logical thing is everybody is going down. So if you catch one going up when it starts going down the chances of it stopping on every floor is great.

While the elevators don't have buttons for floors, they do show which floors it is planning on stopping at and you could jump out at the closest stop.

On port days, many will also be going to Lido for breakfast.

Do you feel lucky?

or port days, we tend to take stairs, particularly going down.

What kind of directions do you need?????

There are deck plan maps available and outside of most elevators are you are here deck plans.

It would be helpful if people were directed to press the button for their destination deck once for each member of their party, so the elevator system could allocate its resources (i.e., available cars) more effectively.

It would be helpful if people were directed to press the button for their destination deck once for each member of their party, so the elevator system could allocate its resources (i.e., available cars) more effectively.

Not sure that is how the algorithm works. It would NOT be helpful if it allowed a person to press the same deck 20 times for an express elevator for 1,

Mongolian Wok is JiJi's for lunch. Same place. Or I guess you could say Jiji's has what is Mongolian Wok on other Carnival ships. But on Horizon you choose what you want off a list on a paper.

Are the sauces the same as at the Mongolian Wok on other ships? I hope not- I really dislike all those sauces...

Interesting to hear the feedback about your experiences with passengers. I was wondering if the vibe might be different. My assumption would be that there would be that there would be more people from the northeast on these cruises out of NYC since choices for cruising out of this part of the country are limited.

Not sure that is how the algorithm works.

We were told this was how the system was designed on the Vista...I think it's the same system that's now in use on the Horizon as the photos of the call panel look similar.

It would NOT be helpful if it allowed a person to press the same deck 20 times for an express elevator for 1,

I'd certainly design the system to accept a maximum of four people within a party, no matter how many times the button was pressed. :)

We were told this was how the system was designed on the Vista...I think it's the same system that's now in use on the Horizon as the photos of the call panel look similar.

I was not aware that Vista had modified their elevators.

Not based on my understanding of how the elevators are programmed. My understanding is you chose a floor in the lobby and the system tells you to go wait in front of elevator A. If A is going to deck 3 7 and 10, and you need 8, and get on? There's no guarantee you can get to 8 unless you get off at 7 and walk. Once you're in the elevator you're at the mercy of it's programming in terms of where it stops. So no, the old trick of riding up to go down and vice versa will no longer apply. safer to walk if you're able to, or just select the right elevator from the start.

I spoke to the hotel director at our CC meet and greet. (If I remember right his name was Pierre) He stated that they can change the algorithm as needed, but in Europe each time you pressed it it assumed two individuals riding. For the Caribbean cruise they would set it to assume three people each time it was selected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not based on my understanding of how the elevators are programmed. My understanding is you chose a floor in the lobby and the system tells you to go wait in front of elevator A. If A is going to deck 3 7 and 10, and you need 8, and get on? There's no guarantee you can get to 8 unless you get off at 7 and walk. Once you're in the elevator you're at the mercy of it's programming in terms of where it stops. So no, the old trick of riding up to go down and vice versa will no longer apply. safer to walk if you're able to, or just select the right elevator from the start.

If it tells you to go to A after you have pressed deck 8 IT WILL stop at deck 8. It might stop at 6 7 and 8 and people might get on at those floors.

Don't just get into random elevators.

If it tells you to go to A after you have pressed deck 8 IT WILL stop at deck 8. It might stop at 6 7 and 8 and people might get on at those floors.

Don't just get into random elevators.

Which is exactly what I said. If A is set to go to different decks (3,7, and 10 In my example) and you need 8 and just get on A randomly- there is no way to guarantee you’ll get a stop at that deck. You might get lucky and someone on 8 is getting on and told to use A; but there is no way to later select where the elevator goes once inside. My response was to reaffirm the consensus that the new programming doesn’t make that (getting on an up when you need down or VV) easily feasible.

Did you happen to save the Fun Times? I'd love to see them.

Can you explain how the elevators work and how to best use them?

Did you use the Hub App? I hear the Horizon has additional features like dining reservations.

FunTimes from the same cruise

Which is exactly what I said. If A is set to go to different decks (3,7, and 10 In my example) and you need 8 and just get on A randomly- there is no way to guarantee you’ll get a stop at that deck. You might get lucky and someone on 8 is getting on and told to use A; but there is no way to later select where the elevator goes once inside. My response was to reaffirm the consensus that the new programming doesn’t make that (getting on an up when you need down or VV) easily feasible.

At least we've figured it out.:D It's a great system.

We just got off the Horizon this morning as well. I agree that the service was hit or miss. Our cabin steward was fabulous! Our first night at Any Time Dining we were seated at 6:30 (after waiting 20 minutes on Deck 5 to get our table assignment). We didn’t leave the dining room until almost 9:30. Three hour dinner was not acceptable. The next day we decided to go right when it opened at 5:30 and we were seated in a different section. Excellent service the second night. So we just requested Jose in that section every evening for the rest of the cruise and were beyond happy with our main dining experience.

We stayed in a Havana Cabana (same as last year on the Vista). We did have trouble finding a chairs on two of the sea days. The Vista Havana deck was not as crowded as Horizon. I ordered a mudslide and got some other frozen drink. No big deal, I just say “whoops, sorry I requested a mudslide”. Bartender told me “that is a mudslide.” I said “I thought they were white with chocolate syrup (I’ve ordered them many times). She said “that’s a mudslide “. The drink was yellow with chunks of pineapple visible and no chocolate! Bartender then said, “I’ll add chocolate syrup it you want”. I said, “no I want a mudslide”. I tasted it and it was pineapple something. She would not waver in giving me a mudslide! First time for me.

We loved the new elevator system. So nice not having it stop on every floor. I agree it took a little longer while waiting. Bet never over crowded and only stops at one or two different floors. (Vista definitely did not have these new elevators last June).

Food was great and we loved the choices for lunch. But the lines were terrible! Never got a deli sandwich the whole 8 days due to very long line. Same with pizza, especially later at night. One man a talked to waiting 1 1/2 hours for a slice of pizza! Their pizza is not that good! Pig and Anchor was very good! Teppanyaki was the best hibachi we’ve ever had, outstanding!

Missed Grand Turk to to someone with a medical emergency. I believe they passed away and we had to go towards shore so a helicopter could fly out to get the body. We were still close enough to Florida.

Comedy was pretty good!

With that said, we will definitely book this ship again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk