Live from the Voyager, R/T Venice:"long time, first time"

boblerm

Today we are in Corfu, Greece, this is one of only two ports on this itinerary that we have visited before. Our tour today was Corfu Panorama. Normally we avoid panoramic tours, as we prefer tours that assuage our guilt about skipping a visit to the fitness room. But it seemed that the other tours were to places that we have already been, or places that didn't seem to interest us.

The first stop was at Paleokastritsa Bay, a spot with beautiful views.

e2b47cabc441303f17a5821b607ffa79.jpg

cd81344ff8ade97e11184268b1929e5d.jpg

4e15ae2c777c0ffdc4727df54f35bba3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Next we were driven up a long winding road with hairpin turns [emoji53]to the village of Lakones, where at a cafe, we were treated to a snack of meze and ouzo. And just in the nick of time, too as it was already 10 :45. We were also entertained by local singers and dancers. 2db3ee9f88b7022f83234e5d377d5f3d.jpg

Fabulous views here.

e761932c45f31d609ec05a372f98c7fb.jpg

26523f46fa4258660dc50f3cdde98de7.jpgeb07ffef13fd344ae225f2e2254d05b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bob

I cannot thank you enough for these posts. My husband and I will be getting on the Voyager as you get off and could not be any more excited. It is our first Regent cruise and this has been so helpful. Your pictures are beautiful . Even more beautiful is the love you have for your wife.. Safe travels

Pam

Lastly, we were driven to Corfu old town, where we just circled the perimeter, as vehicular traffic is not allowed in.. At tours end, we could have stayed in Old Town to walk around, but as we have already been here, and frankly, could do with and afternoon off, we decided to return to the ship.

However- from where the tour bus left us off, we could have taken a shuttle, but we chose to do a 15 minute walk instead. No slackers, we.

While this tour treated us with some amzing views it was WAY too much time on a bus. Note to self: in the future, you may wish to take the term PANORAMIC seriously (duh!)

Bob

I cannot thank you enough for these posts. My husband and I will be getting on the Voyager as you get off and could not be any more excited. It is our first Regent cruise and this has been so helpful. Your pictures are beautiful . Even more beautiful is the love you have for your wife.. Safe travels

Pam

Hi Pam,

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I am so glad that you are enjoying the posts. As you are new to Regent, I predict that you are in for a treat.

As you probably know, this forum provides a wealth of information for new Regent cruisers. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, or, begin a new thread with questions, as there are many members of this forum that are far more experienced Regent cruisers than I.

I wish you a wonderful cruise!:champagne-toast:

The food looks wonderful and the CR menu a GREAT improvement! Ken is already looking to see how many times he can find something to have Béarnaise sauce on!!

Ken and I were on the Mariner when the ash hit. (So we got off when you got on...). That was the sail in which was totally in the fog. We hit the bank of fog right as we came into the lagoon. And saw nothing - nothing at all - until we were off the ship. We could hear children playing and as we were docking we heard disembarkation announcements. Which was confusing since we were not getting off till the following day. We discovered they came from a Silversea ship moored next to us. !!

A lot of people were taken by Regent to Padua and they stayed there for a week until the airports opened. We had booked a Hertz car and at 0830 next day when we disembarked we collected it at Hertz (sign on door "No cars available" ! but reservations were OK) and drove home. We were here in Martigny before 1500 same day. So for us it was uneventful but for all those whose plans were turned upside down - terrible. Regent really came up trumps with the people who had booked flights through them. 4 star hotel on half board for a week. Tours. Coordinator in the hotel. Tom Noon - you will remember as Orpington Tom - and his wife, son and daughter in law were among them. Sadly Tom is no longer with us...I miss him!

Thanks for the photos of Venice. Rubs in what we missed in November!!

A question for Regent veterans - the pool grill is open for dinner. Is it possible that this has been the case for years and I just never noticed? Or is this brand new?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

This is definitely something new and is likely welcome during the warmer months.

While I haven't posted much, I've been really enjoying this thread - your commentary and photos. :D

Try the steak tartare with caviar at Chartreuse; our favorite dish there.

Remember, you can special order many dishes if you give them 24-36 hours notice. We’ve had grilled sweetbreads, a Filipino meal, tournedos Rossini, spaghetti carbonara (made properly with Just egg yolks and no cream),etc.

This is definitely something new and is likely welcome during the warmer months.

While I haven't posted much, I've been really enjoying this thread - your commentary and photos. :D

Thank you Jackie.

Interesting about the pool grill option. While Jeannie and I are unlikely to take advantage of this, we very much enjoy getting dressed and having a nice dining experience, I know that some folk would just love to have the option to not dress for dinner, I think this is a good idea.

Try the steak tartare with caviar at Chartreuse; our favorite dish there.

Remember, you can special order many dishes if you give them 24-36 hours notice. We’ve had grilled sweetbreads, a Filipino meal, tournedos Rossini, spaghetti carbonara (made properly with Just egg yolks and no cream),etc.

Thanks jpr, will definitely keep the steak tartare and caviar in mind, I think we will be at chartreuse tomorrow.

Thank you Jackie.

Interesting about the pool grill option. While Jeannie and I are unlikely to take advantage of this, we very much enjoy getting dressed and having a nice dining experience, I know that some folk would just love to have the option to not dress for dinner, I think this is a good idea.

This may be an option for our 2 long excursion days. We thought we would just order room service since we will not be in the mood to dress up. I would not mind putting on a simple dress and husband in linen slacks, which we would prefer to eating in our room . I would much rather mingle on the deck.

The food looks wonderful and the CR menu a GREAT improvement! Ken is already looking to see how many times he can find something to have Béarnaise sauce on!!

Ken and I were on the Mariner when the ash hit. (So we got off when you got on...). That was the sail in which was totally in the fog. We hit the bank of fog right as we came into the lagoon. And saw nothing - nothing at all - until we were off the ship. We could hear children playing and as we were docking we heard disembarkation announcements. Which was confusing since we were not getting off till the following day. We discovered they came from a Silversea ship moored next to us. !!

A lot of people were taken by Regent to Padua and they stayed there for a week until the airports opened. We had booked a Hertz car and at 0830 next day when we disembarked we collected it at Hertz (sign on door "No cars available" ! but reservations were OK) and drove home. We were here in Martigny before 1500 same day. So for us it was uneventful but for all those whose plans were turned upside down - terrible. Regent really came up trumps with the people who had booked flights through them. 4 star hotel on half board for a week. Tours. Coordinator in the hotel. Tom Noon - you will remember as Orpington Tom - and his wife, son and daughter in law were among them. Sadly Tom is no longer with us...I miss him!

Thanks for the photos of Venice. Rubs in what we missed in November!!

Gerry, please tell Ken that he can have Bearnaise sauce on..... any d**n thing he wants!

So funny about the fog on your sail in- I distinctly remember a morning when we were awoken in our hotel early by the sound of fog horns. Now I know why.

So sorry about the loss of Tom. May his memory be a blessing.

A question for Regent veterans - the pool grill is open for dinner. Is it possible that this has been the case for years and I just never noticed? Or is this brand new?

We got off Voyager in May and I never noticed the pool grill open for dinner. I can't believe after 20 days I never noticed.

Dinner in Compass Rose last night.

When I go to a restaurant, no matter where I am seated, I always have a fabulous view. 0d199248fcfcf111e1bd553386996763.jpg

But last night, as a bonus, we were seated at a window seat with a view to the west.

For dinner, we both had panko crusted shrimp as appetizers, for mains, Jeannie had scallops, I had the Dover sole, both from the always available menu. Everything excellent. I enjoyed my Dover sole far more than I did at Chartreuse on the Explorer in March.

nt from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boblerm, I can certainly see why all your posts are always positive and upbeat! Regards.

We got off Voyager in May and I never noticed the pool grill open for dinner. I can't believe after 20 days I never noticed.
It may not have been. I think that this is brand new. Also sure if this is to be a regular thing or vary from cruise to cruise

It may not have been. I think that this is brand new. Also sure if this is to be a regular thing or vary from cruise to cruise

It was mentioned by Kelly on the Dubai to Rome cruise that they were going to do this in response to customer feedback. Have they kept the pool bar open later as well?

In regard to the evening pool grill this is hot off the presses.

This morning I met Risky, her name was familiar to me, as several CC members have posted nice things about her. I told her that she is "famous" on the Cruise Critic web site and gets lots of nice complements. She seemed quite pleased to hear that.

Anyhoo, she is in charge of the evening pool grill. She told me that this cruise is the very first one in which it is being offered. The plan is that it will be on the Voyager, and only the Voyager throughout the Mediterranean season, which I believe runs into November. After that, a decision will be made as to what the future will be for it, whether it will be kept, abandoned, or expanded fleet wide. She did say that so far it seems to be quite popular and busy.

Offered is a wide variety of grilled meats, a much wider selection than is offered at lunch, cooked to order. Also, an antipasto bar, similar to Seti Mari.

Casual clothing, of course.