Live from the Voyager, R/T Venice:"long time, first time"

boblerm

Loving your blog and pictures! It’s really special to me since we will be doing our first ever Regent cruise on the Voyager from Barcelona to Venice, 8/25/18. Anxiously waiting for air itinerary now and then the cruise. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Our first Regent cruise was out of Venice. We had a magical sail away as we passed through the lagoon at sunset. The thechnicolor atmospherics reflected on the lagoon was something out of other worldly fantasy!

I am also enjoying your posts. We were almost on your cruise until work off in June didn't pan out, so we are on the Barcelona R/T July 13. I loved your itinerary the most.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. We were too tired to do any touring today, just relaxed around the hotel. Tonight we will be having dinner at one of the restaurants here in the hotel called Bacaromi.

I forgot to mention before , the Crystal Esprit is here as well. 2e19c1831942612ee02954ba8e670938.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We dined al fresco at the hotel a lovely setting and nice meal.

We shared an appetizer of cichetti, which is a tapas style dish of fishes, meats and veggies. Jeannie had bronzino, and I had spaghetti with duck sauce. We enjoyed the meal, and the atmosphere. 8a3732d1c0c5c63216f1d3d8c1fdaad7.jpg73c4d5120361c3706f387433b0607123.jpg733b02094f9e56612039817b9b80e696.jpg0a02199a64b89faf529d45034993d49d.jpg

boblerm - I'm really enjoying your pics! Your picture ("I spy") from the hotel rooftop was particularly nice. For me, one of the most exciting things about a (Regent) cruise is when DW and I arrive in our embarkation city and we catch our first "glimpse", either from a rooftop vantage point, or perhaps our hotel balcony, or even from our taxi or limo as we approach the port... of the Regent ship that will be our "home" for the next "X" number of days/nights.

That's a real "tingle" for me - as if I was a little kid, all over again. Have a great cruise.

boblerm - I'm really enjoying your pics! Your picture ("I spy") from the hotel rooftop was particularly nice. For me, one of the most exciting things about a (Regent) cruise is when DW and I arrive in our embarkation city and we catch our first "glimpse", either from a rooftop vantage point, or perhaps our hotel balcony, or even from our taxi or limo as we approach the port... of the Regent ship that will be our "home" for the next "X" number of days/nights.

That's a real "tingle" for me - as if I was a little kid, all over again. Have a great cruise.

You capture our sentiments exactly!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Actually, the Hilton in Venice is our go to hotel in that city. There is a free shuttle from the Hilton to San Marco. And if you don’t want to wait for it, the city vaporetto service is easy and stops right by the Hilton. We like that it is quiet and apart from the chaos of Venice proper. In addition to the rooftop bar, they have an amazing buffet spread at breakfast.

Rachel, you were certainly correct about the peace and quiet at the Hilton Molino Stucky, and the sumptuous breakfast buffet. We did enjoy our stay here.

Jeannie and I had a bit of a difference in opinion as to how to spend our morning. As we have been to

Venice before and have seen most of the major sights, she wanted to have a leisurely stroll around Giudecca. For me, to be I Venice and not even set foot in St Mark's Square is just something that you do not do. I laid out my case logically and eruditely.

Accordingly, what follows is my report on our leisurely stroll around Giudecca.

Through the magic of Google, I was able to find a walking tour of Giudecca for us to follow. The first point of interest was..... wait for it..... The Hilton Molino Stucky Hotel!

It is a former flour mill (molino in Italiano), built by Giovanni Stucky in 1898. So now we know. cc30f9a6e3fa38efd4f6a900745ff549.jpg

Next to the Hilton is the Fortuny factory, apparently Fortuny fabrics is a thing that people know about. It seems that there are exhibits here that no doubt would tell me much more about fabric manufacture than I could possibly want to know. We resisted the temptation and moved on. 62221bbe8e7d10434a2a5c49a73017c4.jpg

I must take a break from levity to describe le Convertite, a place with a sad history. It was established in the 16th century as a convent, and shelter for "fallen women". Unfortunately, the rector here, a priest named Giovanni Pietro Leon, sexually abused the poor women who took shelter here, as well as the nuns here for a period of 20 years. But Time was Up for this despicable man in 1561,when his villainy was exposed, and he was publicly executed in St Mark's Square.

The more things change...... bf6ebc26812ad9b807324ecb5babd1b1.jpg

Il Redorente is considered the most important landmark ib Giudecca, designed by Andrea Palladio, and is considered one of Palladio's finest churches. 53213177a722ff88e8efd2788be4b290.jpg

Believe it or not, there are even more(!) sights to see in Giudecca, but our time was running short, and had to hear back to the hotel to get ready for our transfer to the ship. Perhaps another time. Then again, perhaps not.

OK, I have been poking a little fun at Giudecca, but I mean no disrespect. While there are no "not to be missed" attractions here, the area is not without it's charm, and we did enjoy our morning stroll.

We stayed in a VRBO on our first trip to Venice. It was in a renovated gondola shipyard, very modern architecture, located on the other side of the island from the Hilton and faced the lagoon looking towards the Lido. It was during carnivale so Venice was a madhouse. We were two vaparetto stops from San Marco but a world away from the crowds and noise. I’d stay in Giudecca again in a heartbeat!

Outstanding photos Bob & Jeannie, feel like we are right along side of y'all in Venice.

Your pictures are beautiful. The weather looks lovely. I can't wait for your posts on the ship.

thanks so much wes and tulok, we are on board now and very happy!:D

We stayed in a VRBO on our first trip to Venice. It was in a renovated gondola shipyard, very modern architecture, located on the other side of the island from the Hilton and faced the lagoon looking towards the Lido. It was during carnivale so Venice was a madhouse. We were two vaparetto stops from San Marco but a world away from the crowds and noise. I’d stay in Giudecca again in a heartbeat!

foregap and rachel,

i am actually glad the Regent put us up here, as I would not have chosen it on our own, and we did enjoy it.

Edited by boblerm

WARNING... mushy sentimentaly ahead... WARNING

After sailing on 40 cruises, give or take, we still get a thrill when first setting foot on a ship.

Jeannie and I have a long standing tradition, the first thing we do after boarding is to go to the pool deck and toast the cruise with a glass of champaign with Grand Marnier. While we have always enjoyed this, these days it has taken on a whole new meaning to us. After a prolonged period of illness, treatment, and uncertainty, this little "ritual", if you will, just crystallizes in our minds how truly blessed we are. No matter what the future holds, to be feeling good and able to do what we love is a feeling that defies description with words. ca3470256d2c27485d6ecffb255bd765.jpg

I warned you, did I not?

• Like 1