The Magic 56 - What Will It Be Like To Have a Cabin Along the Magic Carpet?

vtcruising

Will there by speakers on MC for music? That could have a wide impact...

I just found something online that says that the Magic Carpet has a built-in DJ Mixer and turntable, so that will probably be the music that is by the pool, at least some of the time. Not my cup of tea!! :(

What levels will it be parked at when the DJ loud music is on....?

We dislike loud pool music..The key for us is to swim early at the outdoor pool and go elsewhere when the music gets loud and the pool is crowded,,

Or enjoy the Solarium...hope they go back to the nice spa sound tracks...

Glad again we will be on the opposite side from all the excitement.

What levels will it be parked at when the DJ loud music is on....?

We dislike loud pool music..The key for us is to swim early at the outdoor pool and go elsewhere when the music gets loud and the pool is crowded,,

Or enjoy the Solarium...hope they go back to the nice spa sound tracks...

Glad again we will be on the opposite side from all the excitement.

Not sure, it just said that it is set up for a DJ. I assume it will be on 14 at the pool when a DJ is there (maybe night pool parties?). I can't imagine it when it is on 16 for the Dinner on the Edge or when it is on 5 for the Raw on 5 Magic Carpet extension.

I suspect that those who pick an ocean view stateroom for the ability to hear the ocean and watch the sea.... might find even slight music noise a bit annoying. On Oasis class Royal ships.... some like the noise and activity of the boardwalk areas, while others like the serenity and classical music that they hear in the Central Park area... while those that prefer the basic ocean experience... have the ocean view balconies. It will be interesting to see if the MC is disruptive or a novel experience that many cruisers will find interesting. But only time will tell. I might try it just to see the MC move and experience for myself.... but at this point I want to hear from others before paying a premium for the experience.... I will stick with the port side staterooms in the meantime.

• 4 weeks later...

With this picture, I wanted to update the Magic 56 to the Magic 84, in that likely 4 cabins on each side of the MC will be briefly affected as it is repositioned and when it is on 5, it will obstruct views for 12 cabins across on 6 and very slightly the S3's on 7. I'm unsure how often the MC will be on 5 as an extension to Raw on 5, but looks like it would be from 6-10 PM (that is what the listed hours are in one reference). I doubt that it will be every day because they will have Dinner on the Edge sometimes and may have other special events needing the MC on 14 or 16 on other days.

This picture is slightly askew so the ends of the MC don't line up equally on each side, but I suspect that 4 cabins on each side will have the MC pass in front of them when moved (I personally can't wait to be there to see this). I drew (by free hand so not perfect) where the MC would be when on 5 to show which cabins would have obstructions when it is parked there. There is a platform on 5 that I assume is where it sits so measured from there.

enhance

VT I agree....even looking at deck plans I wondered why they did not include at least three cabins across being obstructed.... perhaps they only consider the impact the suites jutting out have on forward and aft views and not the MC itself. The top row of suites have the shade impact of the MC... could be desirable for some. Then on deck 6 (to lesser degree 7) you might be looking into the MC or at least its roofline will impact water view. But how troublesome will depend upon how often it is on deck 5. I really wonder to the degree, ship speed, sea conditions and wind will impact their positioning plans for MC. I wonder if they will be serving dinner if the ship is traveling at 20 knots... hold onto your napkin... or do they limit use at dinner when say sailing from St Maarten to St Kits.. when they often slow to a crawl given short distance.

VT I agree....even looking at deck plans I wondered why they did not include at least three cabins across being obstructed.... perhaps they only consider the impact the suites jutting out have on forward and aft views and not the MC itself. The top row of suites have the shade impact of the MC... could be desirable for some. Then on deck 6 (to lesser degree 7) you might be looking into the MC or at least its roofline will impact water view. But how troublesome will depend upon how often it is on deck 5. I really wonder to the degree, ship speed, sea conditions and wind will impact their positioning plans for MC. I wonder if they will be serving dinner if the ship is traveling at 20 knots... hold onto your napkin... or do they limit use at dinner when say sailing from St Maarten to St Kits.. when they often slow to a crawl given short distance.

I was hoping that during the sea trials they sent some workers out to eat their lunches and report back about their experience and whether or not they still had their napkins. ;)

You know how concerned RCCL has been on throwing stuff overboard... so I can imagine that having napkins, and heaven forbid one of the few remaining straws would finds its way overboard would be disturbing at best. And perhaps cause to walk the plank.... I wonder if there is one on the MC :)

You know how concerned RCCL has been on throwing stuff overboard... so I can imagine that having napkins, and heaven forbid one of the few remaining straws would finds its way overboard would be disturbing at best. And perhaps cause to walk the plank.... I wonder if there is one on the MC :)

Yes, I think first we will be sent to The Basement to be with teens as a punishment and then we will walk the Magic Carpet....;)

I was hoping that during the sea trials they sent some workers out to eat their lunches and report back about their experience and whether or not they still had their napkins. ;)

Shipyard workers and napkins???? I really don’t think those two words go together.....that’s what their sleeve or the table cloth is for! Even in France!!!

Napkins, Yeah, Right!......or is it ‘de table en tissu, Mon Ceil!’

Den

Edited by Denny01

shipyard workers and napkins???? I really don’t think those two words go together.....that’s what their sleeve or the table cloth is for! Even in france!!!

Napkins, yeah, right!......or is it ‘de table en tissu, mon ceil!’

den

lol

With this picture, I wanted to update the Magic 56 to the Magic 84, in that likely 4 cabins on each side of the MC will be briefly affected as it is repositioned and when it is on 5, it will obstruct views for 12 cabins across on 6 and very slightly the S3's on 7. I'm unsure how often the MC will be on 5 as an extension to Raw on 5, but looks like it would be from 6-10 PM (that is what the listed hours are in one reference). I doubt that it will be every day because they will have Dinner on the Edge sometimes and may have other special events needing the MC on 14 or 16 on other days.

This picture is slightly askew so the ends of the MC don't line up equally on each side, but I suspect that 4 cabins on each side will have the MC pass in front of them when moved (I personally can't wait to be there to see this). I drew (by free hand so not perfect) where the MC would be when on 5 to show which cabins would have obstructions when it is parked there. There is a platform on 5 that I assume is where it sits so measured from there.

enhance

One of the videos circulating on Facebook has a shot of the Magic Carpet parked on deck 5, so you can more clearly estimate what level of obstruction cabins in the vicinity will have.

On our April 2019 sailing we will be in one of the middle S3 cabins on deck 7, by the looks of it the MC roof will be just above ground level of our balcony. 7f5d7bc6a129a0aface55a63f3488077.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

cruiserke;56720051']One of the videos circulating on Facebook has a shot of the Magic Carpet parked on deck 5' date=' so you can more clearly estimate what level of obstruction cabins in the vicinity will have.

On our April 2019 sailing we will be in one of the middle S3 cabins on deck 7, by the looks of it the MC roof will be just above ground level of our balcony. [img']https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180806/7f5d7bc6a129a0aface55a63f3488077.jpg[/img]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

What, you don't like my hand-drawn Magic Carpet?! ;)

Yes, it looks like deck 7 will not have visual obstruction, but noise may affect all of us above (we are in the S3 on the end toward the aft on 9 for a 3-night preview cruise). I doubt we will be on our balcony much at that time anyway. I can't wait to see it in operation! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect this will be considered heretical, but I get the feeling that the MC is a bit of a carnival sideshow. The Edge looks like a beautiful ship, and I credit Celebrity with innovation, but the MC strikes me as 2018's answer to a merry-go-round.

I suspect this will be considered heretical, but I get the feeling that the MC is a bit of a carnival sideshow. The Edge looks like a beautiful ship, and I credit Celebrity with innovation, but the MC strikes me as 2018's answer to a merry-go-round.

I believe you will find many in agreement with you. Others love the concept. IMO this beautiful ship would be classier without the bright orange MC hanging off one side. I am personally hoping it is one and done on Edge and it does not show up on future Edge-Class ships. But I will indeed reserve my final judgment until I actually experience Edge in January.

• 6 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 9:43 AM, Bo1953 said:

I cannot, yet, envision MC being much of an issue except when being moved up or down.

I would think that on sea days it will be up and on docking days it will be lowered after dinner at night and seeing that there will be no passengers riding it, there must be or hopefully, a protocol in place for any staff riding it up or down to be prevented from gazing into a cabin.

The issue I glean from the prototype are the guide railings of the MC which will, possibly, obstruct views on either side. While many think me loco already, I do not think that other than the obstructions, the MC movement should not be an issue.

Am I missing something possibly in all of this?

bon voyage

Staff can look into cabins. If I knew how to insert pictures, I have some of the MC going by my IV cabin. It clangs and bangs all the way up or down. Granted I had my window open.

Then at the bottom it obstructed my view.

we paid top dollar for this cabin and no mention of any obstructions.

There was a jut out to our left as well where those cabins could see into our verandah

We never closed the doors as that would entail moving furniture.

We were very displeased

13 minutes ago, Stillnoregrets said:

I will be staying in Room 11156 which is in the Magic 56 in April 2019. I have not seen anyone on this post reply that has actually stayed in one of these rooms. What is the final verdict about pros/cons? 

Click on link below and look at post #2... this cabin is on deck 9 on the other side of MC and one cabin further away from the jut out.... if you scroll you will see others that are a bit further away. I have seen more photos posted... but not sure under what thread

check out post #2

23 minutes ago, Stillnoregrets said:

I will be staying in Room 11156 which is in the Magic 56 in April 2019. I have not seen anyone on this post reply that has actually stayed in one of these rooms. What is the final verdict about pros/cons? 

Here are some links to some reviews - the first one is 3 cabins away from the Magic Carpet and the other 2 are reviews from sky suites in the path of the Magic Carpet.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/?do=findComment&comment=56266547

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/?do=findComment&comment=56727035

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2609144-edge-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/?do=findComment&comment=56713553

Here is a picture from a corner sky suite with a view into cabins nearby that Camus talked about:

image.thumb.png.b93fb9c33ef68833d64105de748488ec.png

I was in a cabin 7 doors down from the MC and I heard a mechanical noise when the MC moved - it lasted about 5 minutes and had a couple of clanks and one bang, if I remember correctly (window open). I'll try to find my video.

Edited by vtcruising

1 hour ago, Caymus88 said:

Staff can look into cabins. If I knew how to insert pictures, I have some of the MC going by my IV cabin. It clangs and bangs all the way up or down. Granted I had my window open.

Then at the bottom it obstructed my view.

we paid top dollar for this cabin and no mention of any obstructions.

There was a jut out to our left as well where those cabins could see into our verandah

We never closed the doors as that would entail moving furniture.

We were very displeased

Okay, I accept that being an issue for you.

I guess there were no other cabins to be transferred to in order to get away from that issue.

bon voyage

From posts,  pics,  and reviews, we would not book along or even near the MC due to reported noise and view issues..some of which is unpredictable depending on where it sits or when it moves.

That's our personal  take on it.  Others might not care...but hopefully folks  will fully research cabin locations now that we know about the issues!

I sat out on the MC early  one morning with a mimosa..no wind, no crowds ,  no issue with my fear of heights. It was quiet and offered a  really  nice view.  Sometime later it  must haved moved away....but at least I tested it out,

We were on one of the middle S3 on our trip on the 10th floor.

Would book again in an heartbeat. And not just due to the cost.

Central location, we had no problem with the noise, we were sheltered from the elements and the wind (and it was really windy on our cruise...) and that balcony was nice and deep. The only time we would say it mattered if when we moved forward and leaned on the rail to see forward/backward... And it was rare. 

Also, due to the double corridor with the inside, we never heard any sounds from the corridor.

I would not book one of the bookends one, just due to the lack of privacy of the side window.

And I would not book either and IV on the rail either...

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Okay, I accept that being an issue for you.

I guess there were no other cabins to be transferred to in order to get away from that issue.

bon voyage

Actually the sewer smell people got moved, there were a lot 

And the higher tier cruisers that complained about obstructions