Panama Canal

coxy

Looking at a Panama Canal cruise on island princess can anyone recommend which cabin would be best for the partial transit, and any other views on the ship as have never sailed on it many thanks

THe ship has a dining area in the front of the ship. Very good for viewing. Are they using the new canal?

The Coral and Island use the old locks. Having been through both the old and new I can report that the old locks are more interesting.

If the OP is doing a partial then they may see the locks in operation only when the Island first enters the locks and not when it leaves later in the day. It will depend on whether the OP takes an excursion and meets the Island after it has exited Gatun Lake and the locks. The side of the locks is determined by the canal authorities and therefore cannot be predicted ahead of time. Either side of the ship is interesting whether it is in the right or left locks. My only suggestion would be to get a balcony cabin and plan to spend time either on the sun deck or down on the promenade deck. I have used both in the past.

The ship photographers will exit the ship before it enters the locks and be standing on the shore taking pictures of the pax. If you have a balcony cabin be sure to take something to hang over your balcony railing that is unique. The photographers will zero in on balcony decorations.

there is an open area on deck 8 aft that wasn't very crowded & you can see the working of the locks pretty closely as you pass through--it is a great place to spend a bit of the day, you will want to move around to various spots on board some even if you have a balcony which is a more relaxing place to watch the canal for the bulk of the day if it fits in your budget

I just went through the new locks on the NCL Bliss. kinda of boring.

For a partial the ship most likely will use the older and less expensive for Princess.

I would suggest taking a shore excursion in a smaller boat and going all the way to Pacific.

They bus you back. Being in a small boat you get the effects of going up and down and can reach out a touch the walls.

hope this helps. Having done both ways, the older is the best.

We were able to touch the walls on our Panama Canal cruise last year. It was on a Holland America ship, and they had roped off part of the Promenade Deck at the aft to keep people from doing so. But we were still able to do it--and watched crew members also doing so.

We had an ocean view cabin when we took the Island Princess to the Panama Canal. I thought it was fine. We wanted to be out on the decks to watch the transit and not stuck in one place.

Select your cabin based on what you would like for the days other than when you transit. On the day you transit the cheapest interior room will do just fine, even more so if you are on a partial transit. You really won't have that much time to see things if you are homesteaded on a balcony.

If you book one of the aft balconies I believe they won't let you use the balcony during the transit as they rig ropes and such from the area. I haven't done it but have read about it here on CC. People said they weren't allowed access to their aft balconies and were give a small amount ($50 per person?) of OBC as compensation.