Konsingdam Questions

retdon

Just booked her for 10 day Southern Caribbean and have some questions.

We are very close to being 4 star Mariners so we have sailed a lot, mostly with HAL and are experienced in the HAL service, cabins, food, etc. Would like to know if the menus are different and get some input from folks who have sailed on the K.

Does anyone have the menus from Pinnacle, Canaletto and Tamarind?

Is there a built in night light in the bathroom of a Vista Suite? On the refurbished ships they were installed and we loved it.

On a 10 day when are the formal nights usually held, especially serving the lobster? We missed it on our last cruise and don't want to this one.

When was the Mariners lunch and awards held? We got our bronze medallion last cruise and don't want to miss them this time.

Any other comments are appreciated. Linda

Just booked her for 10 day Southern Caribbean and have some questions.

We are very close to being 4 star Mariners so we have sailed a lot, mostly with HAL and are experienced in the HAL service, cabins, food, etc. Would like to know if the menus are different and get some input from folks who have sailed on the K.

Does anyone have the menus from Pinnacle, Canaletto and Tamarind?

Is there a built in night light in the bathroom of a Vista Suite? On the refurbished ships they were installed and we loved it.

On a 10 day when are the formal nights usually held, especially serving the lobster? We missed it on our last cruise and don't want to this one.

When was the Mariners lunch and awards held? We got our bronze medallion last cruise and don't want to miss them this time.

Any other comments are appreciated. Linda

Looks like Holland may have removed the menus from their website but I found these:

Canaletto

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2325

Pinnacle Grill

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2270

Tamarind

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2326

Sal De Mer

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3209

BTW, on our last two Holland cruises, the lobster was available on the buffet.

We sailed on her in March. In full disclosure, I anticipated not liking her due to size. I will say I ended up in the middle with somethings I like others I did not. Negatives, size (disembarking in ports could be messy, can’t get into some ports for example Horta was canceled due to size, it’s a long ship to walk around), screwy promenade, butt ugly MDR, inside and some other cabins are smaller. Positives, theater is really nice, lots of dining options, we tried them all and they were all good, music walk was well done.

It’s just like any other HAL ship when it comes to service Mariners lunch etc.

Generally Gala nights are on sea days or port days when there is an early departure (like 15:00 or 16:00) and the surf&turf with lobster and filet mignon is served on the last Gala night.

When was the Mariners lunch and awards held?
Generally on the last sea day.

The K is not my favorite ship. While I liked several of the new features, overall the ship decor is too non-traditional HAL for my tastes. We probably won't sail her again.

We sailed on her in March. In full disclosure, I anticipated not liking her due to size. I will say I ended up in the middle with somethings I like others I did not. Negatives, size (disembarking in ports could be messy, can’t get into some ports for example Horta was canceled due to size, it’s a long ship to walk around), screwy promenade, butt ugly MDR, inside and some other cabins are smaller. Positives, theater is really nice, lots of dining options, we tried them all and they were all good, music walk was well done.

It’s just like any other HAL ship when it comes to service Mariners lunch etc.

I think the MDR decor is beautiful. Besides, I'm only renting and not buying.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

...butt ugly MDR...

To each his own however we ate in the MDR upon embarkation last week (6/24) and my immediate thought was: "what a beautiful dining room".

As to night lights in the bath: not in our Vista suite however the light switch on the wall outside the bath is illuminated. It is certainly different/larger than other ships but it still feels like HAL. Tamarind remains our favorite. We didn't try either the Culinary Arts Center, Sel de Mer or Grand Dutch Cafe. Canaletto didn't impress me on Eurodam and I've eaten in the Pinnacle enough. There are very few items in the Lido that you serve yourself (a good thing in my book).

Just returned from 21 days on the big K. We are 5 ️, so have some experience on Holland. I read so many negative reviews when she was launched that made me a skeptic.

The promenade doesn’t have the usual chairs, but you can still walk the entire circumference. Because of narrow walkways, the drill was held in the World Stage.

People really enjoyed the Dutch Cafe. We did have a large number of Europeans on board, so that may account for some of the attendance. They greatly improved the beverage area on the Lido deck. Not as congested. Also, the New York Deli was very nice.

The room decor is nice. Shower area great and well designed. The commode is at an angle, so might be difficult if tall.

Liked the fact they have a light in the safe. They have storage under the TV for all the junk we accumulate.

The Tamarind was fantastic. Had a special lobster that was out of this world. Wish the Pinnacle would have a special now and then. It is always good, but the menu never changes.

The theatre is fantastic. The optics are spectacular. They had a Whitney Houston number that was really fantastic.

Lots of nice furniture around the pool area and on deck 10.

Our experience was very positive and look forward to sailing again on the a Konsingdam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The promenade doesn’t have the usual chairs, but you can still walk the entire circumference. Because of narrow walkways, the drill was held in the World Stage
The back of the ship musters in the MDR.

Question re internet: Does anyone know if Kdam has switched over to the new tiered pricing level that is unlimited amount of minutes? If so, what was the price on your cruise? We are also going on a 21 day Kdam cruise soon.

To each their own opinion. Doesn't mean mine isn't valid.

Social media is just as bad. Seems like no one respects other opinions anymore. Being a first time HAL passenger, I'm looking forward to our European cruise on the Koningsdam.

Question re internet: Does anyone know if Kdam has switched over to the new tiered pricing level that is unlimited amount of minutes? If so, what was the price on your cruise? We are also going on a 21 day Kdam cruise soon.

When I asked a few weeks ago, they said they just had the per minute packages. I hope they change over soon. I think we're on the same 21 day cruise. :)

Really, yellow and white with plastic trim? It feels like you have been swallowed by Jonah.

So funny that you said that - all I could think was that it looked like being inside a whale's rib cage!! Not my favorite either.;)

So funny that you said that - all I could think was that it looked like being inside a whale's rib cage!! Not my favorite either.;)

Close. It is representative of the ribs of a ship’s structure.

We did our Christmas cruise last year on the K'dam. After reading all the negatives I didn't know what to expect. It was also going to be the first time we did an OV instead of a balcony. From the minute we got on the ship we loved it. No - it's not like my favorite Zuiderdam but it was gorgeous. Yes - it was a bit bigger but if you've ever gone on Oasis of the Seas then this ship is easy-peasy. We were also surprised at the OV cabin. Larger than I thought it would be and so much light it was wonderful. We too loved the revamping of the theater. We loved the ship enough that we're booked for 11 days over Thanksgiving. But - to be fair - any time we're on a DAM ship we're happy!!

Helen