Sapphire Princess Pools

philsuarez

Having a fab time on board with our friend and her 12 year old who is extremely well behaved and very polite. She had been swimming with Mum in the terrace pool for couple of days but today was told it was adult only and people had complained not about her but in general. To be fair there is a sign but nothing was being enforced. What age do Princess consider a child to be? She has paid full fare at 12! Whilst I know there has to be some rules I would have thought some common sense could prevail as we don’t want to swim in the main pool. Funny thing is no one else has even used the pool for last two hours!

An adult on the cruise line is 18. I never would have complained as long as the kids were well behaved but the terrace pool is very small so people are probably complaining more about the space available being resteicted rather than the presence of children.

Fair point about a 12 year old having to pay full price though, it is utterly ridiculous.

if someone paid full price for a 12 year old staying in the same cabin as a 3rd or 4th...

well, that's just poor planning

and I would have said something immediately as the aft Terrace Pool and Outriggers bar are our go to places to get AWAY from kids...

:mad:

GET OFF MY LAWN :mad::mad:

Princess doesn't have "kid ages" for fares. They have 3rd and 4th passenger rates that are discounted. If she is the 2nd passenger, she probably paid full fare, so would a 1 year old.

It would be the same as me trying to get into the kids club. I am not meant to be there and would be told to leave.

You must be 18 for the aft pool. There are other pools she can play in with out issues.

We just got off the Sapphire. I am not sure what the Terrace pool is, but my comment on the flavor of the Sapphire is "enforcement of most rules on the Sapphire " were implemented by the passengers of the Sapphire. My kids did attempt to use the pools in the back of the ship once and were told by "someone" not a princess employee, that those were adult pools. To which they told me that "No one was even in the pool". I observed these pools in the "fun zone" (princess signage) to be empty a lot of the time and to be no Fun at all! I would be surprised if the staff had a problem with a kid swimming with their mom. but I could see the target demographic complaining, because they have nothing better to do.

As an aside : go with your family and guest to Pacific Moon dining room , speak to Florin ( M/D ) and ask for Chakrin's station ( it was the back right of the dining room ) tell them the family of 7 from the Baltic cruise last week gave them great praise and the recommendation. You will not be disappointed in the level of the service you receive at this dining room and with this server! At meal time ask for Chakrin's recommendations for your courses He will not lead you astray, and he will be very honest with meal recommendations. ( at times combining 2 main dishes into one unbelievable main meal!)

hope you enjoy your cruise .

Our kids, and my wife and I, had the same experience with princess passengers being the RULES enforcers , not the staff.

my kids had a great time in the kids club.

Voljeep, you could open your wallet a little and use the Sanctuary to get away from kids - guaranteed!. It is in the front of the ship they have attendants to monitor the environment, the day is very nice.

or I could just go to the teen clubs.....:evilsmile:

or since I've already opened my wallet, the aft pool is for adults...NOT KIDS...

At the risk of getting flamed why would anyone allow their kids to use a pool that’s clearly marked for adults only?

Regardless of whether it is presently empty or not, the terrace area is a quiet space for relaxing and had a different vibe to the main pools midships where kids can use the facilities as they need.

It’s little wonder that a fellow guest would complain, but then I don’t think everyone else’s world should revolve around my kids....

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

Different point of view. Behavior aside, as a mom and grandmother I instinctively am on alert when children are present. If I am in an adult only area relaxing with I drink, I expect parents to respect kid free zones without having to be told by other passengers or staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having a fab time on board with our friend and her 12 year old who is extremely well behaved and very polite. She had been swimming with Mum in the terrace pool for couple of days but today was told it was adult only and people had complained not about her but in general. To be fair there is a sign but nothing was being enforced. What age do Princess consider a child to be? She has paid full fare at 12! Whilst I know there has to be some rules I would have thought some common sense could prevail as we don’t want to swim in the main pool. Funny thing is no one else has even used the pool for last two hours!

A two year old has paid full fare. Does that entitle them to use the adult's only pool? No. As for common sense... You said yourself that the pool is clearly posted as adults only. Common sense should tell you that means no 12 year olds. There is a huge ship which is mostly accessible to the kids. Give us some areas that are adults only. The kids have far more areas they can use than the smokers have. Should the smokers ignore the rules as well? As for a 12 year old not being considered an adult... How would you feel if you found her making out with a 34 year old guy? At that point I'm guessing you wouldn't consider her an adult after all.

You also have to remember that you are cruising during the summer. Kids are out of school and families are able to relax and spend time together. You have the ability to be prudent with your time off, if you do not have kids. You are not restricted as the family is by school and vacation time. If being away from kids is important to you and your vacation demands, travel off season. Schedule your cruise when you are less likely to encounter children. Travel a cruise line that is less family friendly. Families are not offered the luxury of taking a vacation at any time of the year. families will be traveling during the summer and kids will not alway see the signage. the sing at the back pool looked like it was a paper posting at the far edges of the pool. You will see more kids. cut the families some slack . Remember: There is always Viking Cruises-- you are not likely to see any kids there. It is sad to see people not tolerant of a mom trying to enjoy some precious vacation time with her pre teen daughter. In a couple of years the mom will be swimming alone when her daughter splits for the teen center ---that may even happen half way thru this cruise.

if someone paid full price for a 12 year old staying in the same cabin as a 3rd or 4th...

well, that's just poor planning

and I would have said something immediately as the aft Terrace Pool and Outriggers bar are our go to places to get AWAY from kids...

:mad:

GET OFF MY LAWN :mad::mad:

Poor planning can you explain?

...I would have thought some common sense could prevail as we don’t want to swim in the main pool.

I went into the MDR wearing my bathing suit and lit up a smoke. People complained... but I would have thought some common sense would prevail as I didn't want to change into clothes, or have to go all the way to a smoking area.

I like to read books in the pool and I like to find an adult pool, because MOST adults will not splash you, except accidentally, and I am fine with that as I am taking the risk bringing the book into the pool. But on occasion young people have come into the adults only pool, if they are respectful and only splash by accident I still have no problem The problem happens when an adult sees the well behaved child and decides to allow their unruly children to enter the pool. If something is said they claim it is okay because another child was already in the pool. This has happened to me a few times on cruises, and I see other women fleeing the pools when it becomes a playground. It is usually women with very nicely coiffed hair, which I am sure the splashing can ruin. Now, you may say I should not bring a book into the pool, and have been told this by parents to whom I have pointed out the adults only sign. But people should be able to enter and adults only pool without the expectation of having their head drenched.

You also have to remember that you are cruising during the summer. Kids are out of school and families are able to relax and spend time together. You have the ability to be prudent with your time off, if you do not have kids. You are not restricted as the family is by school and vacation time. If being away from kids is important to you and your vacation demands, travel off season. Schedule your cruise when you are less likely to encounter children. Travel a cruise line that is less family friendly. Families are not offered the luxury of taking a vacation at any time of the year. families will be traveling during the summer and kids will not alway see the signage. the sing at the back pool looked like it was a paper posting at the far edges of the pool. You will see more kids. cut the families some slack . Remember: There is always Viking Cruises-- you are not likely to see any kids there. It is sad to see people not tolerant of a mom trying to enjoy some precious vacation time with her pre teen daughter. In a couple of years the mom will be swimming alone when her daughter splits for the teen center ---that may even happen half way thru this cruise.

That is the most ridiculous thing to say. I live in southern California, and sail out of those ports the majority of the time. Many schools are Year Round, and that means the last day of the year is June 30, the first day could be July 1. So, I guess you feel no adults should be able to cruise out of those ports if they are not willing to turn over the adult areas over to kids, or are so rich they can sail on Viking Cruises.

How about just teaching your children there are rules in this world, and when people do not follow them others rights are trampled.

(y)(y)(y)

That is the most ridiculous thing to say. I live in southern California, and sail out of those ports the majority of the time. Many schools are Year Round, and that means the last day of the year is June 30, the first day could be July 1. So, I guess you feel no adults should be able to cruise out of those ports if they are not willing to turn over the adult areas over to kids, or are so rich they can sail on Viking Cruises.

How about just teaching your children there are rules in this world, and when people do not follow them others rights are trampled.

I love the aft adult only pool. It is my favorite place to be. Whenever children come I politely tell them it's for adults only.

There is a children's' pool just above the adult pool.

It only takes having one child in that pool for them to multiply.

There are many places to swim with your child. And yes, age 12 is a child, no matter how polite and mature.

It's isn't as if you can pick and choose the children you can allow in, now can you?

Why do people find it so hard to follow the rules?

I love the aft adult only pool. It is my favorite place to be. Whenever children come I politely tell them it's for adults only.

There is a children's' pool just above the adult pool.

It only takes having one child in that pool for them to multiply.

There are many places to swim with your child. And yes, age 12 is a child, no matter how polite and mature.

It's isn't as if you can pick and choose the children you can allow in, now can you?

Why do people find it so hard to follow the rules?

Your second point is very true. It isn't a long hike to the nearest kids pool. Literally up a small flight of stairs on the open deck.

We actually spent most of our time swimming in the circular pool above the terrace pool. The terrace pool continued to be empty most of the time. More of a problem were the ‘adults’ who thought it sensible to continually set up loungers completely blocking the entrances to the various staircases at the stern. Much more annoying than an exceptionally polite 12 year old swimming with her Mother. I think any issues always come down to having some thought for others around you and displaying manners and common sense no matter the age. Anyhow we had a fabulous cruise and would use Sapphire again.

We actually spent most of our time swimming in the circular pool above the terrace pool. The terrace pool continued to be empty most of the time. More of a problem were the ‘adults’ who thought it sensible to continually set up loungers completely blocking the entrances to the various staircases at the stern. Much more annoying than an exceptionally polite 12 year old swimming with her Mother. I think any issues always come down to having some thought for others around you and displaying manners and common sense no matter the age. Anyhow we had a fabulous cruise and would use Sapphire again.

We were on the same cruise. Totally agree with you about the loungers blocking the stairs, so annoying

The thing is about pools on cruise ships is that some are restricted to adults and the hot tubs also have regulations which vary ship to ship and line to line. In my experience it is best to find out the regulations and read the notices on the pools. It is not clearly visible but in small print which can only be read close up. Sometimes it is surprising what they do allow and once you know the regulations you can refer anyone who disagrees to the official notice. On embarkation while walking around the ship I make a point to read the small print for every pool.

On one line I recall it said that parents must supervise their children in the pool and in the hot tubs. I am a non-swimmer, but that does not matter and daughter has completed a number of swimming level courses. A member of the deck team approached my daughter in the hot tub and as my daughter knew the regulations referred him to me sitting near by eating an ice cream. A thumbs up sign was given to deck crew member with a smile.

Regards John

• 4 weeks later...

Having just come back from been on the Sapphire Princess I can confirm that the Terrace pool on deck 14 is open to children with an adult. The lap pool at the front of the ship is the only true “Adult” only pool. The other pools midship are too deep for me been a non swimmer lol ! And no the terrace pools do not have signs saying Adult only!