Daylight savings time starts during cruise

DownToTheSea

We've always cruised in the summer and are familiar with the ship staying on the same time as the embark/debark port - Galveston in our case. But, we're sailing on March 9 next year and DST starts that night.

Will the ship observe daylight savings time, or do we get to keep that hour the entire week until we get back?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my past experience under this circumstance the ship will observe Daylight Saving Time according to the port of embarkation. It will certainly be announced in your Fun Times onboard, so be sure to watch for those instructions.

We have done the opposite multiple times. October, and now it November when it ends. Interestingly, several times the ship changed time (I mean ships time) one day BEFORE the actual end of Daylight Savings Time. I thought it was strange at the time, and then I actually thought a bit about it and decided it was probably safer. It got us used to the time change a day early (I'm thinking these were probably Sea Days, it's been a few years) and lessened the chance for mistakes one might make on the actual day. It was well publicized. Fun Times, ED or CD announcements and even printed as a reminder and left in the cabin with the other days literature.

It could make a slight difference as far as timing to catch the ferry to Caye Caulker when we hit Belize. Belize does not observe DST, so we would be an hour ahead of local time. We could potentially catch an earlier ferry, but it also means we would need to head back to the ship earlier as well. Or maybe I've just got too much time on my hands to be thinking about it this far ahead!

I was on Breeze when they did it this year. Even though the time changed on a port day, we waited until a sea day to change time. I didn't like it and will try to avoid it in the future. If you're an early to bed person it probably won't bother you but if you stay up for late night comedy and then hit the pizza place like I do....you end up going to sleep super late (early) and it really threw the whole sea day off. I wish we would've changed time right when we boarded that way it really wouldn't change much..just be like you boarded an hour later.

Edited by Saint Greg

Oh since we changed time after the time change...I went in and set my phone to not change time automatically. But I know people who forgot to do that...and they were all messed up with their times on that port day.

I was on a 14 day trip and they announced they would change time on Friday after the actual change. They ended up changing it on Tuesday.

Other times they just change it according to schedule, on the few Sat to Sat cruises that I have been on with a time change.

Wait I was wrong on my previous posts. Lottacruises post just reminded me that time change is always sat night/sun morning. So it was debarkation day that we were supposed to change time...and we did it early so we wouldn’t lose an hour on debarkation day. But it was a sea day after all of the port days that we made the change.

It could make a slight difference as far as timing to catch the ferry to Caye Caulker when we hit Belize. Belize does not observe DST, so we would be an hour ahead of local time. We could potentially catch an earlier ferry, but it also means we would need to head back to the ship earlier as well. Or maybe I've just got too much time on my hands to be thinking about it this far ahead!

No it won't this is what they do for a living. The vendors know, U.S. time, local time, ships time, and the only people who worry are nervous cruise passengers. On our private trip to Caulker Cay their instructions were crystal clear as to what time to meet. They also know what time the ship departs and boarding time.

Not too sure what the problem is. Watch the FunTimes, it’ll tell you when to change the clocks and watches. Some ships post notices next to the elevators.

Almost every cruise we’ve taken, we’ve changed our clocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No it won't this is what they do for a living. The vendors know, U.S. time, local time, ships time, and the only people who worry are nervous cruise passengers. On our private trip to Caulker Cay their instructions were crystal clear as to what time to meet. They also know what time the ship departs and boarding time.

Agreed, they know the time better than anyone!

(y)(y)(y)

We've always cruised in the summer and are familiar with the ship staying on the same time as the embark/debark port - Galveston in our case. But, we're sailing on March 9 next year and DST starts that night.

Will the ship observe daylight savings time, or do we get to keep that hour the entire week until we get back?

We will return on 3/10 and have done this multiple times and they change the ship time for us the night of 3/9 going into 10. We wake up the next morning to debark and have lost our hour. Looks like it can go a bunch of different ways on your cruise!

I was on a transatlantic cruise a few years ago from England and we had 2 daylight savings changes (British and US) during the crossing plus the usual time changes when crossing the ocean

Also remember that even though the USA changes to DST in early March, many of the islands and Mexico do not follow suit. They will wait until early April to do their time change. It is best to watch the Fun Times and always stay on ship’s time throughout your cruise. In this situation, sometimes the local time and ship’s time can be up to two hours different!