Aurora

JB9302

Got some friends stopping this weekend who would like to go on a cruise with us next year , due to wife's school hols we are looking at August and a cruise on the Aurora R914 looks favourite to where they would like to go .

We cruised on the Ventura 1st time this year to Canaries , any one familiar with the Aurora ? , can see its a smaller ship and was wondering about good choice for outside cabins and general feedback v Ventura .

We are all mid 60's who like good food/entertainment , appreciate in August its school hols but does smaller ship have any drawbacks ?

Thanks

Got some friends stopping this weekend who would like to go on a cruise with us next year , due to wife's school hols we are looking at August and a cruise on the Aurora R914 looks favourite to where they would like to go .

We cruised on the Ventura 1st time this year to Canaries , any one familiar with the Aurora ? , can see its a smaller ship and was wondering about good choice for outside cabins and general feedback v Ventura .

We are all mid 60's who like good food/entertainment , appreciate in August its school hols but does smaller ship have any drawbacks ?

Thanks

School hols shouldn't be an issue as Aurora is becoming an adult only ship next summer with the loss of Oriana.

We haven't been on Ventura but have been on Azura several times which is her sister ship. I especially like the tiered stern, dedicated cinema, Crow's Nest and Andersons on Aurora. Nice variety of lounges from which to choose and we find we can always find somewhere to sit. We prefer the design of Aurora to Azura (Ventura) though I'm sure others will take a different view.

School hols shouldn't be an issue as Aurora is becoming an adult only ship next summer with the loss of Oriana.

We haven't been on Ventura but have been on Azura several times which is her sister ship. I especially like the tiered stern, dedicated cinema, Crow's Nest and Andersons on Aurora. Nice variety of lounges from which to choose and we find we can always find somewhere to sit. We prefer the design of Aurora to Azura (Ventura) though I'm sure others will take a different view.

100% agree with that post. I can add, three swimming pools, one of which has a retractable roof. If Neil Turnbull is captain when you are on then you are in for a treat :)

We have been on all the P&O ships, most of them several times and Aurora is our favourite. Although we aren’t retired (yet), the passenger mix and profile suits us as it’s more ‘traditional cruisers’. We find the main dining room (Freedom Dining) to be superb (ten times better than the one we experienced a few weeks ago on Arcadia) and we always have a really nice overall Cruise experience on her.

Plus points - proper traditional cruise ship, tiered stern, nice passenger profile, child free (from April), great main dining room, friendly crew, superb Glasshouse (not heavily used as in a quiet area), very nice Beach House restaurant, Anderson’s Bar (traditional and canapés provided pre dinner), Crows Nest (although waiter service here is very poor here - there are too few waiters, whereas there are too many in Anderson’s), full promenade deck, theatre is pretty good, Playhouse cinema that doubles up as a nice venue for talks or classical recitals.

Minus Points - No Epicurean restaurant, Sindhu is poor (noisy location, poor ambiance), Headliners troupe can be iffy and don’t do enough shows (same on all ships), dire daytime entertainment (same on all ships), pathetically small cabin TV’s with poor picture quality, cabins comfortable but dated and a bit worn.

We have 3 Cruises totalling 55 nights booked on Aurora over the next 10 months, so that should reassure you that she is a good choice!

We have been on all the P&O ships, most of them several times and Aurora is our favourite. Although we aren’t retired (yet), the passenger mix and profile suits us as it’s more ‘traditional cruisers’. We find the main dining room (Freedom Dining) to be superb (ten times better than the one we experienced a few weeks ago on Arcadia) and we always have a really nice overall Cruise experience on her.

Plus points - proper traditional cruise ship, tiered stern, nice passenger profile, child free (from April), great main dining room, friendly crew, superb Glasshouse (not heavily used as in a quiet area), very nice Beach House restaurant, Anderson’s Bar (traditional and canapés provided pre dinner), Crows Nest (although waiter service here is very poor here - there are too few waiters, whereas there are too many in Anderson’s), full promenade deck, theatre is pretty good, Playhouse cinema that doubles up as a nice venue for talks or classical recitals.

Minus Points - No Epicurean restaurant, Sindhu is poor (noisy location, poor ambiance), Headliners troupe can be iffy and don’t do enough shows (same on all ships), dire daytime entertainment (same on all ships), pathetically small cabin TV’s with poor picture quality, cabins comfortable but dated and a bit worn.

We have 3 Cruises totalling 55 nights booked on Aurora over the next 10 months, so that should reassure you that she is a good choice!

We are on Aurora for the first time next April 24th - you on that one? We have another one booked for October 1st 2019 as well.

Hi

Can I ask a couple of questions.

1. For the formal nights, if you are eating in Horizons then is smart casual ok for the rest of the ship and the lounges for those evenings rather than having to dress up?

2. What is the cost of wifi?

Thanks

The buffet is certainly OK, but most of the bars and lounges are Black Tie.

I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for Wifi, so I wait until I am ashore. Free wifi in most places ashore as well as the cruise terminals.

We are on Aurora for the first time next April 24th - you on that one? We have another one booked for October 1st 2019 as well.

We sure are Jean. Great itinerary that Cruise, with quite a few places that are new to us. Have you seen how the price has gone up? It’s now more than double the price we paid at launch.

Hi

Can I ask a couple of questions.

1. For the formal nights, if you are eating in Horizons then is smart casual ok for the rest of the ship and the lounges for those evenings rather than having to dress up?

2. What is the cost of wifi?

Thanks

1. You can be as casual as you like in the buffet. I think that I recall that the Beach House doesn’t enforce the dress code and is always casual. As Jean says, most bars require adherence to the dress code. Word of warning - the very best Main Dining Room menus, including Marco Pierre White, are always on Black Tie nights. I would strongly advise ‘going with the flow’ and embracing the dress code. It doesn’t have to be OTT. You can get a good dinner suit in M&S for under £100 and ladies can get away with pretty much anything. I don’t particularly enjoy dressing up, but embrace it as it’s all part of the cruising experience and the ship takes on a very glamorous feel on Black Tie nights.

2. Like Jean we don’t patronise the rip off prices and we use WiFi (or our airtime) when in port. The onboard prices are ludicrous and the speed and reliability is poor (as evidenced by the constant flow of passengers complaining about it or asking for help). Having no cover on sea days is quite liberating!

We are on the April one as well Jean and also our first cruise on Aurora, which will be a downsizing for us since my wife's stroke necessitated her using a wheelchair. I am hoping that Aurora is just as wheelchair friendly as P&O's bigger ships.

We are on the April one as well Jean and also our first cruise on Aurora, which will be a downsizing for us since my wife's stroke necessitated her using a wheelchair. I am hoping that Aurora is just as wheelchair friendly as P&O's bigger ships.

It’s not quite John. The accessible balcony cabins are fantastic (dated, but ideal configuration) and the lifts are a reasonable size, but there are a few challenges. On deck 8, there are steps midships (by Sindhu and the same the other side), so you have to remember that. Also, not one of the 6 doors out on to the Promenade is automated, so can be a struggle even with a pusher (usually a fellow passenger will kindly hold the door). The door out onto the top open deck, by the Crows Nest, is the only automated door to the outside world. None the less, she is still our favourite, in spite of these challenges.

ok, look forward to meeting you both. Look for a bald headed man with a lady on either arm!! As I said it's our first on Aurora, only her and Arcadia left to us now. Tried Azura, too big for us. And if she was too big, the others are out of the question!!

Yes the price is amazing compared to what we paid. However, the second one in October 2019, we paid more than we usually do, but maybe that's because we didn't book at launch. I think we will have to consider booking one for 2020 as soon as they launch.

Edited by jeanlyon

ok, look forward to meeting you both. As I said it's our first on Aurora, only her and Arcadia left to us now. Tried Azura, too big for us. And if she was too big, the others are out of the question!!

Yes the price is amazing compared to what we paid. However, the second one in October 2019, we paid more than we usually do, but maybe that's because we didn't book at launch. I think we will have to consider booking one for 2020 as soon as they launch.

Hi Jean. As you like the smaller ships, I’d be surprised if you didn’t absolutely love Aurora. She does lack an Epicurean, but has all the other vital ingredients. Having recently returned from Arcadia, we have now done all the ships (most of them at least twice) and were surprised to find that she was our least favourite ship. Here’s my review, should you be interested.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=626325

I think you will like Aurora Jean - she has a similar feel to Oriana in many ways. Having sailed with you, I think you will miss Tiffany's from Oriana though. There is no equivalent on Aurora. She has two bars by the atrium (Raffles & Charlie's) but they are on two different decks and both rather small. There isn't a lovely, open piano bar like Tiffany's on Aurora sadly.

We have been on Oceana, Ventura, Aurora and this year Azura. My preference would be Aurora, I preferred her size. Entertainment on Ventura and Azura is geared up to the younger cruiser, whereas we felt Aurora was aimed at the 50+ age range.

Went on the Aurora on her first world cruise back in 2001 and wasn't impressed compared to the now long departed Victoria on which we loved and had done more than 20 cruises on. However we became devotees of the Arcadia from her maiden voyage and, from 2010 Ventura, although all of the other P&O ships from time to time. So, we decided to give the Aurora a go last year on her US/Canada cruise and fell in love with almost every aspect, so much so out of the 8 cruises or we do a year, Aurora is now featuring significantly in the the schedule including her Amazon cruise in January. Aspects that could be improved upon IMO would be the select dining to include an Epicurean or other fine dining which I hope they will include during the next refit following adults only. Regarding black tie evenings, I think they should be compulsory as this really goes with the ambience of the evening .. it is such a shame to see the odd folk wandering around in their 'casual' attire on a formal evening, what does it cost to buy a DJ or even wear a suit and tie. Thankfully on Aurora this is an occasion and another tick in the box for the ship.

Bal

Selbourne, may I respectfully disagree with you about access to the prom deck. There is an automated door ifrom Champions bar which I successfully negotiated in my wheelchair and on my scooter. It gets you outside by no 12 or 13 lifeboat station if I recall. Terrierjohn, you will love Aurora I think.

Selbourne, may I respectfully disagree with you about access to the prom deck. There is an automated door ifrom Champions bar which I successfully negotiated in my wheelchair and on my scooter. It gets you outside by no 12 or 13 lifeboat station if I recall. Terrierjohn, you will love Aurora I think.

Yes I'm aware of that door. On all 4 cruises that we have been on Aurora we have been unable to use it as there is a steel door behind it which has remained closed (so very difficult for a wheelchair user to negotiate) and other times a makeshift A4 printed sign saying that the door wasn't in use - points I made to reception. We were last on Aurora in March, so it may have improved and we shall definitely check when we are next on her in September. Thanks for flagging it.