Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

18 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

How is Lois in Jacksonville doing in the battling the hurricane, storms, rain, wind, etc.  For those in other parts of Florida?  Surviving?  Have electric?   Looks like Georgia and the Carolinas are next.  

Just saw that Orlando got nearly 17" of rain.  Disney World is closed, etc.  One of our favorite locations, Sanibel Island, near Fort Myers, has had its access bridge damaged in a major way. Fixing it will not be easy or quick.  People can get to this scenic island heaven only by helicopter or boat now.  Any other updates and insights?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry,🙂  I am fine.........have electric, water, etc. We are getting rain and some winds but nothing bad where I live really.  Around the city? Some areas are prone to flooding so they are still having issues.

My neighborhood doesn't have those any of those problems (thankfully). Just south of us is St Augustine and they ALWAYS have flooding when a storm comes as they are right on the water. 

And yes, Orlando has been pummeled with rain!  It is VERY rare for all the parks to close down there.

Everything...Disney and all its parks, SeaWorld and Universal ALL closed.

And Ian is now on his way up to South Carolina and went back in the warm waters of the Atlantic so wishing all those in his path safety.  Some of the videos of Naples/Ft. Meyers are simply catastrophic. 

Terry, thanks for asking. I really appreciate it.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Terry, thanks for asking. I really appreciate it.

Happy to hear all is well with you, Lois. My daughter in Jupiter, is back at work today and busy. She lost power for a bit from a blown transformer, but back and running around 1 am this morning. One small tree down. That is it.

Thanks for checking in on everyone,Terry.

• Like 1

My Uncle lives in Ft. Meyers and has vacationed in Sanibel for decades. He was at their timeshare and had to evacuate ahead of the hurricane. He heard some horror stories from Sanibel. I'll clean up some of his messages and maybe post them for illustration. Or maybe not...it sounds pretty horrible there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From my uncle. He lived in Illinois for years but retired and moved  to Florida maybe 2y ago, where 3 of his kids live as well.

About Sanibel. Casa Ybel is the time share where they've vacationed since the 80s.

"We had to go because we were at Casa Ybel. Owners of houses could stay. Some people stayed because everybody insisted it was going to go to Tampa-St. Pete not to Fort Myers but he changed his mind. It slowed down to 10 miles an hour and sat over Sanibel and Fort Myers and us for 12 hours We heard them on the radio calling for help and on the roof or in the trees and the answers were we cannot help you at this time. They had to wait for the next day or so we don’t know how many lives were lost. One man and his wife and two kids jumped out the second floor window with the water as it was rising in their house as it was swept downstream, but they were able to swim to the next house over and climb on the roof but who knows what happened to them then."

"We can’t get any information out of Sanibel. Water was 6 feet deep on Periwinkle by Casa Ybel. The roads are out everything is gone. The water rose 10 to 15 feet from the ocean and ran over the whole island. The island is only 5 feet above sea level so we’re not sure anything is left. The bridge did collapse in two places and the only way to save people is by air or sea . The good news is we only expect an inch of rain in the next three days and the sun is out, and the water is drying out."

I messaged him this morning and he got back to me an hour ago.

"Well, cell service is spotty if it even works. I have to leave the house and travel a couple of miles to even attempt to get it so that’s why I can’t answer. We have no stores open, no power no water in the bathrooms, etc. and the hurricane passed right over us about 60 miles wide though the eye just missed us. And we had all winds up to 140 miles an hour although I really think we only got hit with 90 mile an hour winds. Trees down everywhere roads blocked roads flooded. The water came up in our development to my back door and front door and stopped because the tide went out .We are 12 miles from the shore, but everything backed up because of the winds and the tide but it’s much better now. We may not have power for a week and water. And no cell Wi-Fi or Internet. None of the stores are open. Fort Myer beach is done Sanabel is flattened and the bridge to Sanibel collapsed. Over 24 hours of the winds, howling pounding on the roof ripping off the solar panels. It was horrible but we’re all safe the whole family. My daughter got 6 inches of water in her first floor she’s 15 miles from the beach, go figure. I can’t tell you how many boats are sitting on the guard rails along the roads to Fort Myers Beach and one was in a tree. It’s really odd. But hurricanes are hell let me tell you. Being cooped up in your house 24 hours in the dark with the wind howling is no fun. Everybody’s fine but the vacation is over and we’re all cleaning up now. No planes until Saturday Take care more later if I can get cell service,"

Sorry for the long paragraphs. Just passing this on as it came to me with minor spelling corrections. Sounds pretty horrible. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

From my uncle. He lived in Illinois for years but retired and moved  to Florida maybe 2y ago, where 3 of his kids live as well.

About Sanibel. Casa Ybel is the time share where they've vacationed since the 80s.

"We had to go because we were at Casa Ybel. Owners of houses could stay. Some people stayed because everybody insisted it was going to go to Tampa-St. Pete not to Fort Myers but he changed his mind. It slowed down to 10 miles an hour and sat over Sanibel and Fort Myers and us for 12 hours We heard them on the radio calling for help and on the roof or in the trees and the answers were we cannot help you at this time. They had to wait for the next day or so we don’t know how many lives were lost. One man and his wife and two kids jumped out the second floor window with the water as it was rising in their house as it was swept downstream, but they were able to swim to the next house over and climb on the roof but who knows what happened to them then."

"We can’t get any information out of Sanibel. Water was 6 feet deep on Periwinkle by Casa Ybel. The roads are out everything is gone. The water rose 10 to 15 feet from the ocean and ran over the whole island. The island is only 5 feet above sea level so we’re not sure anything is left. The bridge did collapse in two places and the only way to save people is by air or sea . The good news is we only expect an inch of rain in the next three days and the sun is out, and the water is drying out."

I messaged him this morning and he got back to me an hour ago.

"Well, cell service is spotty if it even works. I have to leave the house and travel a couple of miles to even attempt to get it so that’s why I can’t answer. We have no stores open, no power no water in the bathrooms, etc. and the hurricane passed right over us about 60 miles wide though the eye just missed us. And we had all winds up to 140 miles an hour although I really think we only got hit with 90 mile an hour winds. Trees down everywhere roads blocked roads flooded. The water came up in our development to my back door and front door and stopped because the tide went out .We are 12 miles from the shore, but everything backed up because of the winds and the tide but it’s much better now. We may not have power for a week and water. And no cell Wi-Fi or Internet. None of the stores are open. Fort Myer beach is done Sanabel is flattened and the bridge to Sanibel collapsed. Over 24 hours of the winds, howling pounding on the roof ripping off the solar panels. It was horrible but we’re all safe the whole family. My daughter got 6 inches of water in her first floor she’s 15 miles from the beach, go figure. I can’t tell you how many boats are sitting on the guard rails along the roads to Fort Myers Beach and one was in a tree. It’s really odd. But hurricanes are hell let me tell you. Being cooped up in your house 24 hours in the dark with the wind howling is no fun. Everybody’s fine but the vacation is over and we’re all cleaning up now. No planes until Saturday Take care more later if I can get cell service,"

Sorry for the long paragraphs. Just passing this on as it came to me with minor spelling corrections. Sounds pretty horrible. 

Mother Nature can be nasty!  Glad your uncle is relatively safe  JP!

• Thanks 1

Hi JP, so sorry that happened to your Uncle and his family. You used the right word........the videos from everything look horrible. I am so glad they are safe though. Sending all my best wishes to you and your family.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Bought a box of chocolates today and Silver Queen asked if I was self-medicating.  I made it clear that I was not self-medicating because the clerk at the store wrote me a prescription.

Which Chocolate is Best for Your Heart? – Cleveland Clinic

Well, the clerk actually called it a receipt.  Whatever!

That's my story at the local wine shop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Bought a box of chocolates today and Silver Queen asked if I was self-medicating.  I made it clear that I was not self-medicating because the clerk at the store wrote me a prescription.

Which Chocolate is Best for Your Heart? – Cleveland Clinic

Well, the clerk actually called it a receipt.  Whatever!

18 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

That's my story at the local wine shop.

Thankfully Myster knows what he's dealing with!  No explanations required.  🤣

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, jpalbny said:

From my uncle. He lived in Illinois for years but retired and moved  to Florida maybe 2y ago, where 3 of his kids live as well.  Sorry for the long paragraphs. Just passing this on as it came to me with minor spelling corrections. Sounds pretty horrible

Appreciate so much from J.P. and your uncle these many interesting details and follow-up.  Yes, sad and terrible!!  From friends and associates in the Naples/Cape Coral areas, they personally escaped without any major damage.  But, clearly for Sanibel island, Fort Myers Beach, etc., things are totally unimaginable.  

Are Lois and others in Florida still surviving and drying out from ALL of the rain, wind, etc.?

Now things are headed straight at South Carolina, especially in the "hit zone" between our beloved Charleston and super busy Myrtle Beach where my wife was with high school classmates just a week ago.  Still unclear how powerful this hurricane will be when it attacks these SC locations.  And after hitting the Carolinas, will this storm head north to hit us in Ohio and shift more eastern to Virginia, etc.?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,034 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

17 hours ago, dusababy said:

Gee - wish I could afford a box of chocolates in California.  See's -- favorite -- has priced itself out of my budget.  Aldi carries some fabulous German chocolates -- at ridiculously low prices.  (Saving money for cruising....)

Very wise, because they will ply you with chocolate aboard the ship. 😁

• Like 1

We had a long night on Tuesday night in SE Florida, as the feeder bands went through and there was heavy/loud rain and tornado warnings throughout the night. We are so very grateful that SE Florida was spared from this storm except for a few areas that had tornados touch down.  I did have some damage because the area of my roof that had a recent leak (for which I'd already been obtaining bids) could not withstand the downpour and part of the ceiling in that room collapsed.  It's a good thing that I retired earlier this year and no longer need a home office!  

JP, Thanks for sharing your uncle's first-hand experience and so sorry that they had to go through this. This storm made landfall with winds only a few mph below a Cat 5 (and post-storm analysis may reveal it was indeed). Regardless of category, it was one of those storms of a lifetime and harrowing for all who had to go through in the areas that were badly impacted.   The videos coming out of Sanibel, Fort Myers and Naples are horrible. The flooding in Orlando is also quite a concern - and I'm willing to wager that not many people in Orlando had flood insurance. 

A quick suggestion for your uncle re: communications. As he noted, cell service is spotty.  We've found in the past that when cell service was unreliable after a hurricane, text messages will get through even when phone calls cannot be made. 

Fingers crossed for those in South Carolina today.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 2

Just got back from 2 weeks in the Galápagos and have discovered the joys of Ecuadorean chocolate and coffee.  So glad I was able to bring some home.

My thoughts are with all those who mourn the Queen.

Has anyone heard from Cruising Pashmina who lives in Sanibel?

• Like 2