Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Jogging around Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas today. Winter has gone away early and temperature is around 30C.

barqyuinho.thumb.jpeg.d0381d2ec295fe13ecf8cb4a1d97b0b8.jpeg

In 2 weeks, I will be in New Orleans (1st time) for a conference. It will be very busy, but I hope I can visit some places.

• Like 7

Someone asked me about things to do in Rio. So here it is:

1.     Obvious places: Corcovado and Sugar Loaf. For Corcovado I highly recommend the Tram. Sugar Loaf: In fact, there are 2 hills connected by the cable car. The 1st part of the cable car one goes up to the first hill (Morro da Urca) and 2nd part to Sugar Loaf itself. Should you like hiking, there is a beautiful trail to get to the 1st part (Morro da Urca) and from there, take the cable car to the Sugar Loaf.

2.     Historical part of the city: close to the maritime terminal. A guided walk tour is a good suggestion. Somes places I like: 1) Cinelandia where is located Theatro Municipal, Biblioteca Nacional and Museum de Belas Artes. You can visit them all these, but in case you a short on time, the buildings themselves are worth seeing from outside. 2) Praça XV where is located Arco do Teles and some small old streets. 3) Real Gabinete Português de Leitura (hidden gem). 4) Pequena Africa (little Africa) walking tour.

3.     Historical churches: The most beautiful is Mosteiro de São Bento, walking distance from the cruise terminal. Should you have to choose just 1, I recommend choosing this one. Other interesting churches: Convento Santo Antonio that can be reached by a tram that departures from the cruise terminal. Should you like to see more churches: Igreja Nossa Senhora do Carmo da Antiga Sé and Outeiro da Gloria. The first one is in the historical neighborhood and the second one a bit further, but still close.

4.     Museums: There is one just very close to the cruise terminal Museu do Amanhã (Tomorrow Museum) and some others in the historical neighborhood. There is lot of specific museums and art and culture centers in the historical area and further away.

5.     Fortress – Due to the war against the French in XVI century and WWI there several fortresses around Rio. 2 are in Copacabana beach, one in each side. Forte do Leme is up in a hill that is reached on foot and a paved road. It is very steep, so if one is not fit, I do not recommend hiking it. The view from the above is very beautiful. The other one is flat and very ease to visit (Forte Copacabana) and the view from the cannons roof top is great. Should you be seriously interested in fortresses, the most interesting are those in a near by city Niteroi on the other side of the bay. But it is necessary 3 hours to visit all the 3 fortress there. One of them you will probably see from the ship while she gest into the Guanabara Bay approaching the maritime terminal. It is Fortaleza de Santa Cruz.

6.     Botanical Garden is beautiful and should one is very interested in flowers and plants, Sitio Burle Marx is a must do, but it will need more time because it about 50km from the maritime terminal.

7.     Rio is a city for jogging, biking and hiking. Should want more information just ask.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Favorite pic from our beach trip: dear wife Karen and our new adopted shelter dog Alfie.

Love cruising but there is a place for land trips too.

image.thumb.png.c1bab2ef1a12f71d3791f760d3f4c4f4.png

What a wonderful pic QSS. I Wish you many happy years with Alfie, he looks a real sweety. Rescues make such great companions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And I agree about the land tours. Whilst I love cruising the bit that you never get on a cruise is the “immersion” in a place. My tour around Rahjastan in January proved that point to me beyond doubt. I Visited and experienced places impossible to see from a cruise ship that changed me as a person. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Bien sur! Any time on vacation is time well spent.

Nice photo and setting. 

If for some reason no vacation is possible, there is always make believe in my brand new cosy original "Strandkorb" from Sylt. I celebrated delivery of this typical wicker beach chair of the Frisian isles with a (not so typical) IMG_4168.thumb.jpeg.14bedd7b1d881c4e03d7dd34d81b4bb6.jpegTi Punch😎

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

If for some reason no vacation is possible, there is always make believe in my brand new cosy original "Strandkorb" from Sylt. I celebrated delivery of this typical wicker beach chair of the Frisian isles with a (not so typical) IMG_4168.thumb.jpeg.14bedd7b1d881c4e03d7dd34d81b4bb6.jpegTi Punch😎

WOW!  That is beautiful!  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grand Duchess said:

Love it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A 17-year-old boy who works part-time at Pizza Hut drives up to park in front of the house in a beautiful Porsche.
Naturally, his parents know that there’s no way he earned enough with his after-school job to buy such a car.
“Where did you get that car?” his mom and dad screamed in shock.
“I bought it today,” replied the teen calmly.
“With what money young man?” his mom demands. “We know how much a Porsche costs and you cannot afford it!”
“Well, it’s used and I got a good deal” says the boy, “This one cost me 20 dollars.”
“Who on earth would sell a car like that for 20 dollars?!”
“The woman up the street,” the boy replies. “I don’t know her name–she just moved in.
She ordered a pizza and when I delivered it to her, she asked me if I wanted to buy a Porsche for 20 dollars.”
The boy’s dad and mom hurry over to their new neighbor’s house, ready to demand an explanation. Curiously, their new neighbor is calmly planting flowers in her front yard.
“I’m the father of the kid you just sold a sports car to for $20,” the dad says. “I need an explanation from you!”
“Well,” the woman says, not looking up from her garden. “This morning I got a phone call from my husband. I thought he was on a business trip in Florida, but it seems he has run off to Hawaii with his secretary and doesn’t intend to come back.”
“What on earth does that have to do with selling our son a Porsche for $20?” The boy’s mom asks, utterly perplexed.
The new neighbor smiles very big and pauses for a minute. “Well, my husband asked me to sell his new Porsche and send him the money.
So I did.
May be an image of car and text

• Haha 10

8 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:
A 17-year-old boy who works part-time at Pizza Hut drives up to park in front of the house in a beautiful Porsche.
Naturally, his parents know that there’s no way he earned enough with his after-school job to buy such a car.
“Where did you get that car?” his mom and dad screamed in shock.
“I bought it today,” replied the teen calmly.
“With what money young man?” his mom demands. “We know how much a Porsche costs and you cannot afford it!”
“Well, it’s used and I got a good deal” says the boy, “This one cost me 20 dollars.”
“Who on earth would sell a car like that for 20 dollars?!”
“The woman up the street,” the boy replies. “I don’t know her name–she just moved in.
She ordered a pizza and when I delivered it to her, she asked me if I wanted to buy a Porsche for 20 dollars.”
The boy’s dad and mom hurry over to their new neighbor’s house, ready to demand an explanation. Curiously, their new neighbor is calmly planting flowers in her front yard.
“I’m the father of the kid you just sold a sports car to for $20,” the dad says. “I need an explanation from you!”
“Well,” the woman says, not looking up from her garden. “This morning I got a phone call from my husband. I thought he was on a business trip in Florida, but it seems he has run off to Hawaii with his secretary and doesn’t intend to come back.”
“What on earth does that have to do with selling our son a Porsche for $20?” The boy’s mom asks, utterly perplexed.
The new neighbor smiles very big and pauses for a minute. “Well, my husband asked me to sell his new Porsche and send him the money.
So I did.
May be an image of car and text

I love the brilliance of women! 😁

• Haha 4

My local public library had an outdoor big band concert scheduled for Saturday afternoon.  The same weather than trapped Lois at JFK also made an outdoor concert a bad idea [and the downpour during the concert proved that right!] so they moved it inside.  The only space large enough was the main library reading room.  It was a wonderful concert, and the combination of loud music [a 17-piece jazz band has an impact that most of us have forgotten!] and tables with coffee and snacks put paid to the old stereotype of the shushing librarian!

–Jazzbeau, a retired librarian who never shushed anyone

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Except as a moderator?  😉😁 (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Never be sorry when speaking the truth.  I wanted to write the same thing late yesterday evening, but after a 14-hour day hiking in the Grand Tetons, I found myself needing to clean the camper from spitting my beer out when I read Jazzy’s shushing comment. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 6