Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hello again, I don't think I can catch up with all of the news but did read some of the more recent posts. From the sound of all of your voices, in the main, things are GOOD, even GREAT. Nice to hear that many are traveling soon to exotic places!

I have been remiss on reporting on the Greek trip. I have tried to write a synopsis of the adventure, but instead I get caught up in looking at the photos from the trip, and, then I am lost in reverie.

The trip was AMAZING. Spending the first few days in Athens was perfect. We caught up on sleep, had our meals at a local taverna right around the corner from the place we rented, and looked out at our view. The apartment was on the 4th floor and perfect. A wall of sliding glass windows opened onto a balcony, the weather was autumnal, we could leave the doors open and breathe clean fresh air.  From the balcony, the kitchen and the living room, with the glass wall open (or closed),   we could see the Acropolis, Mt Lycabettus and the Temple of Zeus. All were within easy walking distance. And we did walk!

The day came that we were to fly to Samos, and I admit to some trepidation, but mostly I was flying and it was without the propeller plane.  I met some of my cousins at the Athens airport for the first time. A congenial group who had plans to make this pilgrimage to Samos for months. I was the newbie, having just connected with them through one of the ancestor DNA websites. I was lucky to have been invited to join them. It was even more fortuitous that I could afford to go and take my spouse with me. He was my rock.

I will try and keep this short, I am already being verbose. 

My relatives knew I was coming to Samos and after settling in at the hotel ( yikes it was one star, practically on the runway of the airport) getting to unpack and refresh we set out to explore the island. 

The next day, and the following day,  was devoted to time with my cousin where we walked the small village where my grandmother was born. I saw the vineyards of my great great grandfather and his house, and the house of my great grandfather. My cousin was a most generous host. The wine(his homemade) flowed,  the food was cooked to perfection and conversation easy. When we left his company, his embrace was tight and tears flowed. 

The next night DH and I and a number of our group were feted at a huge dinner party. There I met more cousins! TG they speak English! I do not know any Greek. Again, it was incredible, the plates of food just kept coming. The samian dessert wine was golden and luscious. 

I also was able to directly establish family ties by a visit to the Mayors office and the Town Hall where we went through record books that were 100s of years old. Beyond the paper trail, I connected to a family who are warm and accepting. 

Yes the trip was fantastic, and I am still savoring the memories. And yes I am Greek!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Yes the trip was fantastic, and I am still savoring the memories. And yes I am Greek!

Thanks for your report Spins!  I'm thrilled that you had such an awesome trip!  Must have been so richly satisfying!  And Συγχαρητήρια (congratulations).  🙂 

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Thanks for your report Spins!  I'm thrilled that you had such an awesome trip!  Must have been so richly satisfying!  And Συγχαρητήρια (congratulations).  🙂 

ARE YOU GREEK MYSTY???

or are you just multilingual.

🙂

19 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

ARE YOU GREEK MYSTY???

or are you just multilingual.

🙂

No Spins, I'm not Greek!  I'm French Canadian.  I wanted to support your enthusiasm for being Greek!  🙂  I can google with the best of them!  And I do enjoy what little I have experienced of the Greek culture.

LOL Davey. I can't disagree. We also prefer to run outside but last winter we couldn't due to the weather, and we feel like we got badly out of shape because of that. In fact we felt like total slugs all last year, and we still haven't got back to where we want to be. We have had treadmills in the past and we don't mind but our old one was pretty unusable after almost 15 years of pounding.

So we bought a nice one and put it in a great spot in the house where we can see outside. Also it has a wifi connection to iFit, a website that lets you do video workouts in some spectacular locations. So far I've done a bunch of nice programs: a run on the streets of Paris, up hills to a monastery in Thailand, through slot canyons in Utah, and last week I did a hike in Patagonia. Now next week I can do the real thing! 😄

So as far as hamster wheels go, it's a pretty nice one! The programs help keep it from getting so boring. And we don't exercise to live longer per se, that that is a potential benefit. The real reason is that we like to run around like crazy people hiking/climbing and otherwise being active on vacation. So if we don't exercise, that will not work very well...and we are not yet ready to give that up. Despite the AARP membership cards!

Reason number 2 is that we like to eat. As evidenced by all of the pictures on the cooler! Must find a way to burn some of those calories.

Lovely drinks Dave ..... and I don't share any enthusiasm for unproductive use of energy.  I'll sit by the bar whilst you and JP do my share of any run ....

Spins, your story gave immense pleasure.  The discovery of one's roots and family can be so "big" it was lovely sharing it with us and I do so hope you will forgive me for asking for more.  You  were not verbose enough.  Many families whose members have splintered and become spread over a few generations for various reasons will understand the joy of that discovery brings and the feeling of belonging to a wider group of people than you previously thought and the fact that your bond with your cousin was I think symbolically a great summary of your trip in that the bond became stronger with that last "cuddle".  It was lovely. 🙂

JP, you are young so run while you can. 

Unfortunately, when I did my nursing training 50 years ago, we were told by the tutor sister "nurses and cows don’t run except in an emergency when there is a fire" ( get the image)!!!

That’s been my excuse ever since!!  I’m sure she didn’t expect me to still remember the saying 50+ years later!

Arrived in Atlanta 3 hours ago and we have another 2 at least before we board. Have passed some time in the Sky Club in Terminal E, then had a snack at One Flew South (our favorite here). Just walked from E to F and settled down in this Sky Club, much quieter and way less crowded. They changed our departure gate from terminal F back to E though so we will have to walk back at some point. I guess activity is good for us!

Musty, the roads won't be that rough. Not like you're going to Madagascar...or are you?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi JP, safe travels.

I have to look up One Flew South......never heard of it.  WOW, I just googled it...…..

looks like a "real restaurant"!

Yes! It's quite nice. We enjoyed it about 3 years ago.  We had our children (a 4 y/o and 9ish m/o) with us at the time which perhaps caused us to enjoy it a little less than others might have... but still a very good place to eat in an airport.  (Few and far between, those are!)  

Davey, is that a late posting, or an early breakfast drink?

On our way to Santiago. Almost midnight. Flight delayed but only a little, so we still have plenty of time to make the final connection in Santiago. Late dinner coming soon! 

Edited by jpalbny