Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hi all from Chilean Patagonia. It's breathtaking here! Got in yesterday and we can see the towers from our villa. Hiked to a few miradors today for even more panoramic views. Not sure I can upload with the poky internet here but i will try.

20190109_064008.thumb.jpg.0ebb44ed8932ba4ccaac251c0d57b170.jpg

View from our villa. No wonder I can't sleep!

20190109_103238.thumb.jpg.c04c1ea41b29101da5fc19c4c97aa44b.jpg

Mirador cuernos hike today.

• Like 2

Good Afternoon ... or morning ... or evening as applicable Coolers.  

Lovely  pics JP.  Ours are much more mundane and routine.  As I’ve been using a new 4K camera for video which I can’t edit and upload with my trusty ipad, here are just a few random piccies for stuff.  

The flight from Heathrow is now getting a bit too much of a challenge.  12 to 14 hours depending on direction.  However we arrived early.  But here some of the food in flight and #1 wife sitting in my buddy seat waiting to be fed and the obligatory piccy of laurent perrier grand siecle which we drank far too much of!  The linguine was good, but I just have peasant tastes. 

052F2392-96F8-4637-A21F-125064337949.jpeg

6436EDB9-9565-4D99-B297-7C7200CF24B1.png

2AB08D56-122A-4226-B8BF-D8366D3652B1.jpeg

6E75DADB-8FDC-4507-B86F-CCA99D11566A.jpeg

C1D6058F-73B4-4BD7-A2A2-B72426385934.jpeg

67700E41-0007-4982-909A-ADAD5ED579AF.jpeg

71D17E2A-308A-47DD-B309-80A4A32461CE.jpeg

372571D8-8711-443C-96B3-D13CD927256E.jpeg

• Like 1

I’d organised JetQuay for our arrival which basically meant we only had to get off the plane to be met with a very pleasant young smiley  man with a sign with our name and a nippy buggy.  He radioed through our baggage numbers and descriptions and sent someone else to fetch our cases from the carousel and we were driven through Changi at some high speed to the CIP Terminal.  I have made a hopefully fun video of the buggy transfer in all it’s glory  which illustrates the methods used by the buggy driver to get the peasants out of our way which I might upload after we get back home.  

The CIP terminal as usual was completely empty - one other passenger  who was waiting for his private jet to be refueled - and the single immigration guy who we almost had to wake up had us through in a few seconds whilst they retreived  the luggage,  handled customs for us and put it into the back of the limmo. So I achieved the goal of not touching the cases from the time that James The Jag, but them into the back of his car from our hall, until we unpacked in the suite in Singapore and not having to walk very far and avoid getting grumpier than need be. 

03A576EE-3C76-46D6-83B6-435A03ECD2D8.jpeg

5085C712-17D9-4B6A-856D-22E6F67DB601.jpeg

97098AEC-ED44-4FB9-B524-CBE0995FDFB6.jpeg

A83C715E-B760-4065-B48F-9BA79CCB1E25.jpeg

B74DAECE-DAE5-4C8B-A0BE-3928B9999519.jpeg

3E2F537A-7B8E-494B-8A1E-BBB9A5A07F69.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Hi all from Chilean Patagonia. It's breathtaking here!

Oh JP, you got a wonderful sky.  I'm so happy for you and Chris!  There are so many people who travel to where you are and never get to see the peaks.  The weather there is a lot like the Grand Tetons whereby one feels very fortunate if they can see the mountain tops.

Enjoy the rest of time in Patagonia and don't try and ride the guanacos. 🙂

On 1/8/2019 at 1:45 PM, Stumblefoot said:

In all of the reading I've done on CC over the years I think one of the greatest pieces of advice I've received has been not to take voyage on a ship immediately before or after a refit, or a new launch.  Thanks for reconfirming that bit of advice again for us all here.

We were already a bit leery, especially after they expanded the scope of the refurbishment, but I'd booked based upon the itinerary, and didn't see another opportunity to do the Panama Canal on SS in the near future.  

4 minutes ago, MLeh said:

We were already a bit leery, especially after they expanded the scope of the refurbishment, but I'd booked based upon the itinerary, and didn't see another opportunity to do the Panama Canal on SS in the near future.  

I bet you were.  And, I totally understand you situation.  It's always a tough decision especially when it's an itinerary you know you will enjoy so much. 

Although I hate to read that you encountered some service snafus early in the voyage, I'm glad they cleared up as your voyage proceeded along.

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Oh JP, you got a wonderful sky.  I'm so happy for you and Chris!  There are so many people who travel to where you are and never get to see the peaks.  The weather there is a lot like the Grand Tetons whereby one feels very fortunate if they can see the mountain tops.

Enjoy the rest of time in Patagonia and don't try and ride the guanacos. 🙂

Thanks Stumblefoot. I see what you mean. Today the peaks have been obscured by clouds all day. Quite a difference! Didn't realize how lucky we were.

20190110_195251.thumb.jpg.5367fef38ea17f40f209a9de658c8560.jpg

The guanacos are indeed everywhere. I'm bored with them already. The rheas are cool though, as are the cute little foxes. The foxes won't stay still long enough for a picture though.

Now, if we can just see a puma we will be very happy!

• Like 1

Looks amazing JP glad your having such a great time.

Hawker looks amazing Jeff and loving the minibar addition to the coke. 

Last night (9TH OF Ginuary) was A Raspberry Royale, Raspberry Gin and Champagne ( or Prosecco if you’re common) and tonight for the 10th of Ginuary Bloom Gin and Llanllyr Source Tonic

0588EFE7-2DAD-4A4A-8ACD-200C6A200398.jpeg

267CC947-83E9-4509-B6E9-FAC58D8524F2.jpeg

• Like 1

I finished compiling the itinerary for my 'Retirement Present to Myself' trip. It started as -

"I'm going to go to South Georgia... how do I do it?"... and 'mushroomed' from there. The first thing I booked was the Silver Cloud a year-and-a-half ago. The last thing I booked were some tours - a couple of days ago. Many hundreds of hours have gone into research and planning (the anticipation/hunt is almost as good as the realization/kill). I didn't book any tours' in Lima because they're overpriced, and 'the sights/sites' can easily be done on one's own once there.

South Georgia, here I come!!! :classic_biggrin:

ITINERARY

January 31 to April 2, 2019

Bill B

Jan. 31

04:00 Phat Loc An 'Limo' bus: apartment Vung Tau to SGN (2 hrs.)

JAL Flight 750, SGN to NRT

Depart 08:00, Arrive 15:25

JAL Flight 66, NRT to SAN

Depart 17:05, Arrive 09:45

Jan, 31 – Feb. 2

Horton Grand Hotel

311 Island Ave

San Diego, California 92101
United States
Phone: +1 6195441886

Feb. 1:

San Diego Hop-on Hop-off Trolley (all day ticket)

Skip the line: USS Midway Museum Admission Ticket

Feb. 2 – Feb. 17

Holland America MS Volendam, San Diego to Lima (Callao), Room XXXX (Navigation Deck):

Date

Port

Arrive

Depart

Saturday, February 2

San Diego, CA

4:00pm

Sunday, February 3

At Sea

Monday, February 4

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Noon

11:00pm

Tuesday, February 5

At Sea

Wednesday, February 6

At Sea

Thursday, February 7

Huatulco, Mexico

8:00am

5:00pm

Friday, February 8

Puerto Chiapas, Mexico

Saturday, February 9

At Sea

Sunday, February 10

At Sea

Monday, February 11

Fuerte Amador, Panama

Tuesday, February 12

At Sea

Wednesday, February 13

Manta, Ecuador

5:00am

7:00pm

Thursday, February 14

At Sea

Friday, February 15*

Salaverry (Trujillo), Peru

Saturday, February 16

Lima (Callao), Peru

10:00am

Sunday, February 17

Lima (Callao), Peru

Disembark

* Feb 15 Private Shore Excursion: Trujillo; Moche Valley; Temple of the Sun & Temple of the Moon; Chan Chan and Huanchaco beach

Feb. 17 – 20

Cozy Boutique Home

Pasaje Jose E. Mora 117 Miraflores, Lima, LIMA 18, Peru

Phone: +51 933193198

Feb. 20

Peruvian Flight 220, LIM to CUZ

Depart 14:00, Arrive 15:20

Feb. 20 – 25

Amaru Colonial

Calle Chihuampata, 642, Cusco City Centre, Cusco, 84, Peru

Phone: +51 84223521

Feb. 21

Half-Day City Tour of Cusco: Cathedral; Koricancha - “Temple of the Sun”; Sacsayhuaman; Qenqo; PucaPucara and Tambomachay

Feb. 22

Cultural Tour Around Cusco: Andahuaylillas; Piquillacta - Wari pre-Inca culture; and Tipon

Feb. 23

Sacred Valley Full-Day Tour: Mirador of Taray ; Pisac; Urubamba; Ollantaytambo and Chinchero

Feb. 24

Eye of the Jaguar - Zipline / Canopy and Quad ATV tour: Salineras of Maras; Huaypo lagoon and Moray archaeological complex

Feb. 25

Inka Rail, The 3600 Bimodal, Depart: Cusco 10:16, Arrive: Aguas Calientes14:00

Feb. 25 – 27

Vista Machu Picchu

Koriwakanki #507, Machu Picchu, 084, Peru

Phone: +51 84 211152

Feb. 26

Machu Picchu Electronic Ticket Reserve: 0600 Entry

Feb. 27

Inka Rail, The 3600 Bimodal, Depart: Aguas Calientes 10:32, Arrive: Cusco 14:32

Feb. 27Mar. 2

Amaru Colonial

Calle Chihuampata, 642, Cusco City Centre, Cusco, 84, Peru

Phone: +51 84223521

Mar. 1

Hike to Humantay Lake

Mar. 2

Peruvian Flight 331, CUZ to LPB

Depart 07:50, Arrive 09:50

Mar. 2-6

Landscape – Apartment B&B

Av. Arce #2652, frente Multicine. Edif. Mila, Bloque A, Piso 5, Apt. 501. SOPOCACHI-CENTRO, La Paz Centro, La Paz, 7102, Bolivia

Phone: +59 170660542

Mar. 3

Cable Car Tour of La Paz

Walking Tour of La Paz

Mar. 4

Lake Titicaca Tour: La Paz to Copacabana; Tiquina Mirador; Tiquina ferry crossing; boat to Isla Del Sol; return to La Paz

Mar. 5

Full-Day Tour of Tiwanaku Archaeological Site from La Paz

Mar. 6

LATAM Flight 2401, LPB to LIM

Depart 04:32, Arrive 05:30

LATAM Flight 2373, LIM to SCL

Depart 11:40, Arrive 17:17

Mar. 6 – 28

Silversea Cruises Silver Cloud (Expedition), Uahuaia to Cape Town, Vista Suite XXX (Deck 4)

Mar. 6

Transfer SCL to Hotel

Sheraton San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile (overnight)

Mar. 7

Transfer: Hotel to SCL

Charter Fight: (LATAM), SCL to USH

Transfer: USH - Tour/Lunch - to ship

Date

Port

Arrive

Depart

Thursday, March 7

Ushuaia, Argentina

Friday, March 8

At Sea

Saturday, March 9

New Island, Falkland Islands, United Kingdom

6:00am

Noon

Saturday, March 9

West Point, Falkland Islands

3:00pm

7:00pm

Sunday, March 10

Port Stanley, Falkland Islands

1:00pm

Monday, March 11

At Sea

Tuesday, March 12

South Georgia Island

5:30pm

Wednesday, March 13

South Georgia Island

Thursday, March 14

South Georgia Island

Friday, March 15

South Georgia Island

Saturday, March 16

South Georgia Island

Noon

Sunday, March 17

At Sea

Monday, March 18

At Sea

Tuesday, March 19

At Sea

Wednesday, March 20

Gough Island, UK Territory

12:30pm

5:30pm

Thursday, March 21

Tristan da Cunha, UK Territory

10:30am

8:00pm

Friday, March 22

Nightingale Island, Tristan da Cunha, UK Territory

6:00am

2:30pm

Saturday, March 23

At Sea

Sunday, March 24

At Sea

Monday, March 25

At Sea

Tuesday, March 26

At Sea

Wednesday, March 27

Cape Town, South Africa

8:30am

Thursday, March 28

Cape Town, South Africa

Mar. 28 – Apr. 1

Brenwin Guest House

1 Thornhill Road, Green Point, Cape Town, South Africa 8005

Phone: +27 214340220

Mar. 29

Skip the Line: Two Oceans Aquarium Admission Ticket

Skip the Line: Cape Wheel Admission Ticket

2-day, Cape Town Hop-on Hop-off Sightseeing Bus tour

Mar. 30

Table Mountain Tramway

Mar. 31

Wine Beer and Biltong Safari (Stellenbosch Experience)

Apr. 1

Emirates Flight 771, CPT to DXB

Depart 18:05, Arrive 05:30 + 1

Apr. 2

Emirates Flight 392, DXB to SGN

Depart 09:30, Arrive 19:45

21:30 (estimate) 'Limo' bus, SGN to apartment Vung Tau (2 hrs.)

Edited by Bill B
Wrong airport code

Should I mention it ot shouldn’t I ?

Oh go on then .... time for a larf .... or it was until I did the math !!!

44 years ago today .... doesn’t time fly 😀

On the postive side of things ... Now that it is 2019 I can now say I am going on a cruise this year 😀

323A58B3-2E1F-4DF6-954D-C6DF75FD3A54.jpeg

Bill, sounds like a fantastic trip you have planned.  We were in Peru in 2016, loved it!   If you are looking for something to do in Lima, you can check out   freewalkingtoursperu.com , they offer a variety of tours.  They do both Lima and Miraflores as well.  Cusco is such a great walkable city, we rambled around the old Inca walls of which our hotel was built into.  Chocolate shop was cool, just missed the cooking class offered. 

Another thing, in case you haven't seen enough critters is to go see Ccochahuasi Animal Sanctuary.  It's just outside of Cusco, you can get a ride from town to the Sanctuary either thru a schedule bus, or a private cab which will wait for you.  It's not badly priced, and a really cool little place.  Basically, they take in injured indigenous animals, or rescued from the pet trade, rehab them and release when they can.   Also, they focus on breeding of the Andean Condors, which are HUGE!!!!   When we were there, they were getting ready to release an Andean Fox, and had just brought in a Specticled bear cub (it was feeding time, and Fernando was cranky).   It's not a petting zoo, but some of the animals are pretty friendly, like the kissy llama.  They operate off donations, and also had a gift shop and a display in weaving/dying of fibers.   The whole trip from town & guided thru the sanctuary & back to town took about two hours, and it was well worth it for us.  Pictures were priceless, and the people were truly caring folks.

You certainly have an envy-worthy retirement gift to look forward to!

Jan

Bill,

That is one heck of an itinerary you have created.  Well done sir!  I hope you enjoy every minute of your incredible trip.

I had no idea JAL flew direct to San Diego.  I guess there is enough traffic on the route due to all of the military and biotechnology there.  We have a daughter in college there and enjoy visiting very much.  The Midway air craft carrier is a fantastic place to spend a day at.  Good choice!  We thoroughly enjoyed talking with all of the veteran docents on board who served on the Midway at one time or another during our visit.

While your time at Port Stanley is short, if you need a recommendation for a tour out to Volunteer Point, let me know.  There is a fellow there that will get you there comfortably, safely, and at least 30-minutes earlier than the ship's tour.  Promise.

Finally, I would love to know, what is it about South Georgia that so captivates you that you built such a wonderful trip around that single destination?  What are you looking forward to seeing / visiting while you are there?  And, did you plan any private activities for your visit that were not included with the ship's excursions?  As you know, I'll be there in 2020 and can hardly wait to read what you thought of the place after your visit.

Best Wishes!

59 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Finally, I would love to know, what is it about South Georgia that so captivates you that you built such a wonderful trip around that single destination?  What are you looking forward to seeing / visiting while you are there?  And, did you plan any private activities for your visit that were not included with the ship's excursions?

I've been fascinated by South Georgia since the early 1960s when I found a book in my elementary school library on Shackleton's attempt at the pole - absolutely astounding - the greatest, unsuccessful voyage of all time! :classic_ohmy: I'm going to imbibe a 'wee dram' at his grave site... and pour a little on him.

“For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.” Sir Raymond Priestly 1913

Of course, being a ex-sailor, I want to see the old whaling stations; and, then there's the scenery -

SUvCSU.jpg

VtD4hQ.jpg

I don't think you can do any private activities - except perhaps Port Stanley (which was not on the itinerary when I booked) - because all landings use the ship's Zodiacs.