Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

41 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Airlines sound nearly as devious as cruise lines. 

LOL... "nearly"? I think you cold 'flip a coin' on that.

KAL, among others, has now introduced 'No show' fees on top of the ticket fare. It is buried in the eight pages of the Terms and Conditions fine print most people click to accept without reading (or don't understand because they don't have a Law degree). When you try to cancel, they make it literally impossible -

I used 20,000 of my (about to expire) KAL Sky Pass miles for a round-trip (could not book one-way) award ticket on Vietnam Airlines from Phu Quoc to Saigon for $7.50 taxes. The 'No Show' fees were X number of 'miles' if it was an award ticket (as was my case), or USD $150 if I'd bought the ticket!!! :classic_ohmy:  I tried to cancel the return leg - never had any intention of returning to PQC - but couldn't. After spending 3 hrs. searching KAL's and Vietnam Airline's websites in vain, I phoned Korea... and found out I had to phone KAL's regional office in Saigon. Fine. However, the trouble with that was, when I phoned both numbers for Saigon office, I got a recording (in Vietnamese) telling me "The number you have reached is no longer in service". :classic_blink:

Good Morning all .... a grey and cold Hampshire.  Lovely funny M.

Bill - much sympathies and I do so hope the chargeback works.  LATAM are suppose to process a no-quibble refund if you request it if the new departure time is more than half an hour later.  You have also it seems fallen into a no-show penalty trap which many airlines are trying to introduce in order to stop people booking flights bits of which they do not intend to  take when making the booking.  It is more often than not an airline revenue protection protection measure or to stop people doing something no Cooler would have ever thought of ....... 

What has been happening for example in the EU is that Brits (for example) find that BA tickets are often cheaper if they are started from an EU mainland airport rather than say the UK.  What BA originally did to stop this was that if you booked a flight to say Paris to Singapore via Heathrow, if you failed to show up for the Paris Heathrow leg then they cancelled the whole ticket.  So people wised up and what then happened was that if the economics still stacked up they'd fly to Paris and back again but then not take the last leg on the return part ie London to Paris.  So some airlines are trying to introduce the no-show penalty intended to cover that scenario.  Also, another situation started to emerge. 

Bizarrely you may think, some people in some countries were booking full fare flights simply to use airport lounges and having checked in then when they had consumed their fill in the lounges not showing for the flight, and leaving the airport and claiming a full refund.  The no-show penalty is also intended to stop that.  I think the issue in your innocent situation is that you could not have reasonably expected the charge, but had bought a return ticket to use as a one way - something not it seems offered - but from the airlines point of view they are simply trying to do what they can to protect revenue against what they see as abuse in other scenarios. 

So far as the first couple of scenarios ie canceling tickets for no shows and also imposing a penalty for partial tickets being used, this is still being tested in EU courts and in Germany (for example) I think they have been finding in favour of the customer in what some courts see as airlines trying to restrict trade.

I hope you get things resolved.

Bill,

Something similar here in 2017.

This flight to complete a journey from the UK via Madrid to Ecuador to join the Silver Explorer in Guayaquil. We arrived in Quito the night before and staid over before our flight to Guayaquil and chose the later flight to give ourselves some rest time the next morning prior to heading to the airport but 8am was not excessively inconvenient.

Quito To Guayaquil 24 Oct 12017 on XL 1359 departing 1200. Booked 6 Jan 2017

changed to

Quito To Guayaquil 24 Oct 12017 on XL 1359 departing 0800. LATAM e-mail came in 3 Feb 2017.

There was already a flight about 8am but with a different flight number and another at 10am.

I can’t remember what number or what office the phone call went to when I called LATAM. But the lady on the other end sounded Spanish and had a limited amount of English. To try to cut it short, her computer only showed the new timing and I could not get her to understand there had been a change. Each time I tried to explain she just said ‘no, no’. Was then asked if I wanted to cancel with no suggestion of rebooking. It was complete waist of time and just accepted the change.

For us it was none refundable cheap tickets costing £70 for us both but if we had a tight turn round…..

Luckily for us that our timing was not compromised and it did not muck up our schedule.

I am not saying it is a scam but it sure looks like a scam since they don’t rebook you on to an earlier flight but change the same flight to an earlier time. In our case a full 4 hours.

Rocchi

On 12/28/2018 at 1:14 PM, jpalbny said:

I have to look at our old cruise itineraries to see if we missed any islands. I can't remember if we ever were at St. Bart's. I haven't counted it as I'm not sure.

Looking at Namibia/Botswana/Victoria Falls in a year or so which could help nudge the count up too. So much to do!

Excellent questions and discussion for these various locations, what counts as a separate "country", etc.  Yes, those islands can be challenging to figure out, determine, etc.  On St. Bart's, we visited there in 2015 after doing the Amazon River, etc.  Per Wikipedia, it was and is still a French commune.  It was a part of Guadeloupe.  These are an overseas region and department of France. In 2003, St. Barts voted for secession from Guadeloupe in order to form a separate overseas collectivity (COM) of France.  Complicated and confusing??!!

Great to hear you are looking at exploring these great parts of southern Africa.  As noted earlier, we super loved Botswana and Victoria Falls in 2016.  Haven't been to Namibia, yet.  From friends, Namibia has some great areas to see and explore, but that country does not have the charm with the wide variety animals that you can enjoy in Botswana.  As you planning and researching for Botswana and Victoria Falls, let me know any questions.  Happy to share more!! 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 43,990 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Greetings Coolers!

I have to say that having arrived at the last day of 2018 I am more than ready to kick this year to the curb!  I am ever hopeful that 2019 will be better for all.  Here is a picture from the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, Arizona where they are celebrating Las Noches de las Luminarias.

48424030_10155630332081780_7348163799020

Our weather is not really cooperating with a joyful beginning to the New Year though.  Freezing rain this evening into tomorrow.  This is what it may be like for us.  

polarbear.jpg

Have a great day all!  Happy 2019!

Happy New Year everyone - it just became 2019 in Auckland, and only 2h to go before Sydney rolls the calendar.  Hope it's a great year for everyone.

It ended up being a pesky weekend at work with lots of calls the past two days, though Saturday was worse than yesterday. Chris and I are glad to not be on call after we leave work today. Got some filet at the store yesterday so will make that tonight for dinner, along with some crab legs. Might make Hollandaise too - we'll see. Break open a good wine, and see if we can make it until midnight...

We have clothes laid out for the trip, and now it's time to pare back a few items and do a test fit into suitcases. Luckily for us, no fancy clothes are required. It's all casual, with no need for more than casual elegant in the evening. So we shouldn't need too many big suitcases. We will need our wine checks though! Planning to bring back some nice Chilean and Argentinian selections. 

To all in the Cooler - may 2019 be al that you want it to be. Much happiness to all!

• Like 1

Happy and Healthy 2019 to all in the cooler.

An hour to go till the new year and we are heading for bed.  It’s been a busy time with family since Christmas!

We have been out celebrating with our friends ( old and new) at our retirement resort that we moved into this year. Felt bad slinking away before midnight but it has never been a celebration I must do. 

Will take stock of life - past and future tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Happy New Year to all!

Misty, love love love the pic you posted of Phoenix Botanical, I was there a few years ago and between the plants and artwork, it sure is a stunner.   Have to say, my all time favorite is still Jardin du Botanique Montreal.  Singapore was pretty special as well.  It has been disappointing weatherwise, afraid we may have gotten all our snow in November and the remaining of the season will be nothing more than sleet & freezing rain, bleah.   Not good for snowshoeing.....

JP & Chris, sorry it was a challenging weekend, vacation is just around the corner for you!   Actually, we'd love to fire up the smoker for you sometime if you want to travel "over the river and thru the woods to Janny's house" .   

Today, at work already, trying to get those last minute transactions and transfers posted before the day is out.  We will be celebrating the ushering in of the new year as always, dinner at home, snuggled in warm, safe, and without crowds.  If I can find a nice red snapper, I will do that for dinner tonight, if not, it will be homemade pizza with halloumi, spinach, sausage, and portabella mushrooms.   Either way, win win!!!

Back to work.....

Jan

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

Misty, love love love the pic you posted of Phoenix Botanical, I was there a few years ago and between the plants and artwork, it sure is a stunner.   Have to say, my all time favorite is still Jardin du Botanique Montreal.  Singapore was pretty special as well. 

Jan we got the chance to visit the Phoenix Botanical years ago when our son and daughter-in-law were living and working in Phoenix.  It was a real delight!  We have plans to visit the Singapore Botanical on our upcoming big adventure.  We haven't yet been to the Jardin in Montreal (although we have no real excuse being just 2 hours away).  we'll have to check that out sometime.

Hope your day goes smoothly!  🙂

Hi everyone, wishing all of you a Very Happy New Year.   Mysty, a special Bon Voyage for a wonderful world cruise to you.....smooth sailing and fair winds.

JP, I know you are leaving soon as well...….Bon Voyage to you and Chris.

• Thanks 1

Happy New Year! LATAM has responded... vaguely (they also sent me a Customer Satisfaction Survey :classic_rolleyes: consisting of one question -

"How would you rate the support you received?

Good, I'm satisfied.

Bad, I'm unsatisfied.

They may have to wait 45 days for the answer. :classic_dry:

LATAM   oneworld  

Jonatan Munoz (LATAM)

Dec 31, 13:42 -03

Hello Mr. WILLIAM XXXXXXXX,

Best regards, along with saying hello, we want to inform you that we have corrected the data information corresponding to the refund of your ticket  XXX - XXXXXXXXXX.

Currently, your refund is in process. Which has an estimated term of 7 to 45 working days to process the return, once it has been applied, we will contact you with the confirmation. In the meantime please do not answer this email.

Thank you.

Sincerely

Jonatan Munoz
Customer Support
LATAM Airlines

Attachment(s)

Edited by Bill B
Took out link.

Mysty - me too! Not long now for either of us. We made it to the ball drop but it was kind of anticlimactic, we thought. Too many commercials. Reminds me why I DVR everything!

Had a very nice dinner though. Petite filet and crab legs along with a special bottle of wine that we brought back from Chile in November 2017.

i-BhJS842-M.jpg

i-3Nk77hw-XL.jpg

Lois and Jolly - same to you!

Bill, good luck with the refund. We are doing a couple of flights on LATAM for the upcoming trip this week. They have made a few minor time changes so far and I expect more but hopefully no big problems. We had great flights with them to Easter Island and hope that streak continues... fingers crossed!

• Like 1