Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

51 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

TTS, they know that you'll drink more.

Kale? IDK...It's high in oxalates, which can cause kidney stones. Why risk that?

OMG....really? I have had one of those before and NEVER want to experience another one! No Kale for me then!!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Kale? IDK...It's high in oxalates, which can cause kidney stones. Why risk that?

Having had a few events with kidney stones, YES, great point and added reason for me to avoid that Kale stuff.  Great medical wisdom/warning.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

The tour does include a pint of the good stuff. But it's another €6 per pint after that. That's the credit card maxxed out, then. 

It will probably be the best pint of Guinness you will ever taste. I have been on a tasting mission since then and have not found one as good (yet). I shall be continuing my quest...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Port Power said:

Chook food.

Insulting!

9 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Ok. I actually like Kale

Bless you.

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Kale just tastes too bitter to me

Bitter when harvested at the wrong time (weather too warm).

Or if big stems aren't removed.

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

you summarized the "Kale Challenge" in an excellent manner with your above "too bitter" comment.  

Your opinion (& a cup of coffee will get you 25 cents).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After this I give up.  But it you are concerned about oxalates, I suggest you be aware of the following.  Oxalates are not just in kale, and kale is in fact is listed as a way to reduce oxalate ingestion:    Foods High in Oxalates (webmd.com)

From WebMD, had to smile when I saw tofu at #2  

High-Oxalate Foods 
High-oxalate foods include:

1. Spinach

Leafy greens like spinach contain many vitamins and minerals, but they’re also high in oxalates. A half-cup of cooked spinach contains 755 milligrams.

2. Soy products

Products made from soybeans are excellent sources of protein and other nutrients, especially for people on a plant-based diet. However, they are also high in oxalates. A 3-ounce serving of firm tofu has 235 milligrams, while 1 cup of soy milk or yogurt can have up to 336 milligrams per serving. 

3. Almonds 

Almonds are concentrated with a range of vitamins and minerals, yet they are also high in oxalates. One ounce of almonds, or about 22 nuts, contains 122 milligrams of oxalates.
4. Potatoes

A medium baked potato has 97 milligrams of oxalates per serving. Much of this content is in the potato’s skin, which contains high levels of nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, and B vitamins. 

5. Beets

Beets are an excellent source of nutrients like folate and manganese. Research shows their nitric oxide content helps lower your blood pressure. At 152 milligrams per cup, they’re also one of the vegetables highest in oxalates. 

6. Navy beans
Legumes are a great way to add protein, fiber, and other nutrients to any meal. However, if you’re managing your oxalate levels, navy beans are on the high end with 76 milligrams per half-cup.

7. Raspberries

Many fruits contain some oxalates, like avocados, oranges, and grapefruit, but raspberries are considered a high-oxalate food with 48 milligrams per cup.

8. Dates

Dates are highly nutritious dried fruits often used as a sweetener in cooking and baking. Date consumption should be moderated, however, as they are high in sugar and concentrated with oxalates with one date containing 24 milligrams.

Here are eight low-oxalate foods you could add to your diet:

1. Kale and bok choy

If you’re watching your intake of oxalates, kale and bok choy are nutrient-rich greens with just 2 milligrams and 1 milligram of oxalates per cup, respectively. 

2. Cashews, peanuts, and walnuts

Compared to almonds, nuts like cashews, peanuts, and walnuts have slightly lower levels of oxalates at about 30 milligrams per ounce. 

3. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds

One ounce of pumpkin and sunflower seeds contain less than 2 milligrams of oxalates. They’re also a good source of vitamin E, magnesium, and protein. 

4. Sweet potatoesYou can swap your baked potato for sweet potatoes, which are higher in most vitamins and minerals and only have 28 milligrams of oxalates per cup. 

5. Broccoli

Broccoli is a delicious low-oxalate vegetable at just 2 milligrams per cup. It’s also a good source of fiber and protein and contains many important nutrients and vitamins.

6. Kidney beans

Kidney beans are a good substitute for navy beans with only 15 milligrams per half-cup. They’re also a rich source of protein and fiber. 

7. Blueberries and blackberries

Mix other berries in with your raspberries to reduce your oxalate intake. Blueberries and blackberries have only 4 milligrams of oxalates per cup. They’re also rich in antioxidants, which can help prevent diseases such as heart disease and cancer.

8. Dried figs

For a sweet fix that’s lower in oxalates, try dried figs, which have one-fifth of the dates’ content. They’re also high in fiber, potassium, iron, and calcium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

You do realize that I was being tongue-in-cheek...or probably not?

Well, I'm feeling a bit unique in that a food I enjoy is being attacked. Never seen it before at the cooler - we all got our tastes, but never saw denigration of our individual tastes before.  And by a bunch of Yankees no less (I would put a smiley face with tongue in cheek here if I could find one) 😉

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, QueSeraSera said:

Well, I'm feeling a bit unique in that a food I enjoy is being attacked. Never seen it before at the cooler - we all got our tastes, but never saw denigration of our individual tastes before.  And by a bunch of Yankees no less (I would put a smiley face with tongue in cheek here if I could find one) 😉

Not exactly attacked Que, more pushed under the rim of the plate, sneaked to the dog under the table or hidden in a nearby plant pot. 🫣 It would be a boring world…….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, QueSeraSera said:

Please don't take it personally Que!  We don't intend to disparage your taste!  In my case, I can't enjoy it!  Does not mean that you can't.   And you're not hearing from folks who agree with you.  Doesn't mean there aren't any. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Que, more pushed under the rim of the plate, sneaked to the dog under the table or hidden in a nearby plant pot.

Sounds like an appropriate fate for cawl to me.  Anyway, doesn't kale mean something different in Wales anyway?

Not disparaging anyone else's taste in food (till the above).  Just not sure why its ok to be that way about a Southern staple.  But I did say I'm done.  Eat whatever the H you want, and if anyone disses black eyed peas I'll just go away.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

It's definitely not an attack on you, Que.

2 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Not disparaging anyone else's taste in food (till the above).  Just not sure why its ok to be that way about a Southern staple.  But I did say I'm done.  Eat whatever the H you want, and if anyone disses black eyed peas I'll just go away.

We still like you, even if not all of us adore kale. But, I love The Black Eyed Peas! I even own one of their albums. They do some great dance music.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Got a feeling is a cracking song! 

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

They do some great dance music.

Love you guys.  Life is too short.

Should either be passing through Richmond, & reach out, I will be sure to provide lunch at a nearby chain restaurant.  😁

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

What’s on the menu? 
😉

hamburgers, subs, French fries almost as good as those in Belgium (McD - sorry but true)

but if you want to eat a bit more healthy

Menu | Panera Bread

None of these will offer you kale, black eyed peas (with or without the bass line), or cawl

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The three major food groups:  fried, sautéed, and deep-fat fried! 🤪

I think you are having a good time in sweet home alabama but, we we like you Jazz so take some time out for some kale

Edited by QueSeraSera
spelling and a fine red from Portugal
  • Like 2