Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

1 minute ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Oh well M .... the waiting is over and the bags are starting to be packed for your amazing trip.  It doesn't seem like just a few months ago when you started this thread. 

I know that you will ensure that every day will be treated with all the respect each deserves and that it will be the most wonderful trip of a lifetime.  Safe travels and muchos fun to you and Myster on your adventure together.

🙂

Thanks so very much Jeff!  We are very excited about the trip!  And we are very keen to follow the itinerary for Singapore that you were so very kind to outline for us in order to get the most from our one day there!  Soon the adventure will begin and we will share some here and some in the Cooler where my CC life began.  🙂

Was it something I said??

The incoming flight to Heathrow was early so it must have caught the baggage handlers by surprise as we waited 55 mins for the belt to produce the final cases.  WISIS?  (Was It Something I Said)

From there its a very short walk (if you know the secret ) to the Sofitel which was busy as usual but we had a room to rest in before we were plunged into darkness as  all the power in the hotel went walk about. So we waited by the light of our cell phones ( modern version of candle) for it to return. WISIS

It has returned but for now I must charge up laptop & phones before the onward march/.

Will have a very light breakfast before check in for SFO

We await the flight with some nerves 

WISIS

Jo

e Feeling 90 

2 hours ago, joe_90 said:

WISIS

Joe Feeling 90 

EEEK!  Joe I hope all goes smoothly for your flights!  I am awake at the crack of doom this morning (4:13 am) wrestling with a wee bit of panic about our flights tomorrow.  This is not unusual for me.  More like my modus operandi.  If I can cover every possible problem in my imagination I harbour the hope that we will not actually encounter them.  Magical thinking.  :classic_unsure:

Thanks Lois!  Love the graphic!  🙂

I find laughter helps to lower my stress levels.  In case that works for others as departure time looms and travel uncertainties niggle.....

431ece908cb137248adc2bb39a6926b6--aunty-acid-maxine.jpg.168aac5037d945a0fd1ca8923ee4984f.jpg 

I am bringing a stash of funnies to decorate our suite door.  🙂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

2 PM in the Admirals Club having a glass of wine waiting for our flight to SFO.

Enjoy the wine DCC57!  I hope the flight goes smoothly!  Just getting ready to close up the house here and head to the hotel.  Little nervous about the weather.  Interesting combination of excitement and nervous jitters.  I think Myster is ready to wrestle me to the ground to stop the fidgeting.  🙂  Thank Goodness he is such a very patient man!

22 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:
22 hours ago, mysty said:

And we are very keen to follow the itinerary for Singapore that you were so very kind to outline for us in order to get the most from our one day there!  

Shoot!  I clearly missed Jeff's recos.

Jeff, if you can easily find your post, would you mind re-posting the link?  We're going to be in Singapore for 4-days in late February and would love to read your recos.

Have fun Mysty!

3 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Would someone please re post UK Jeff's suggestions for Singapore.  We will be there for two days pre-cruise in March.  Many thanks.

Hi Both, 

M may be on her way to her WC and I have been able to find some of my emails to her which weren't posted here and were some time ago and  really rather personalised for stuff I thought after some detailed exchanges with her and Myster I thought they would like but may work for others.  It's quite detailed and answered some questions she asked which I haven't posted because they are not mine to post.    These were options for a very short intensive one day visit rather than more leisurely.  But our choice of the main stuff is there. 

If after reading it all you have questions ..... please ask them on the Cooler as I'm unclear and a bit confused about what we are allowed to post where.  I haven't rechecked all links .....

We are heading off there in a few days .... 🙂

===========================================

M, some initial thoughts .... think of them as sort of modules!

1.  Even though you are not interested in orchids we still feel you would enjoy Botanic with a visit to the Orchid Garden.  Think of it as being a park within a park.  Take a copy of your passports with you as admission to many things in Singapore is reduced for all pensioners.  In the Orchid Garden it's reduced from S$5 to S$1.    If you left the ship at 8'ish then you would be at the garden by 08:30'ish and a stroll through Botanic to the Orchid garden from either entrance.  Everything is well signposted. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=botanic+gardens+singapore&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX8vmugOzWAhUmCcAKHVPYAXQQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=621

https://www.sbg.org.sg/

From Botanic a taxi to a few different options ..... but I'd say either Chinatown or Marine Bay

2.  Taxi to Chinatown and wander around - it's only a couple of streets with stalls and head for the Temple.  Take a lift to see the tooth!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/chinatown+singapore+temple/@1.2819232,103.8421667,17z/data=!3m1!4b1

http://www.visitsingapore.com/see-do-singapore/places-to-see/chinatown.html

http://www.btrts.org.sg/

DO NOT EAT in any of the Chinatown streets which is for tourists but beside the temple is The Chinatown Complex.  We were unaware of this for years although it's right there.  It has hundreds of food stalls starting from level 2 upwards.  There is even a Michilin hawker.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1280&bih=621&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=chinatown+complex++singapore&oq=chinatown+complex++singapore&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i8i30k1j0i24k1l2.2660.9061.0.9495.16.13.0.0.0.0.119.982.11j2.13.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..5.4.379...0i13k1j0i8i13i30k1.0.nF8Wncdh85w

http://www.thebestsingapore.com/best-place/chinatown-complex-food-centre/

3. Now you could go to Asian Civilisations Museum for an hour or two .... just five minutes by taxi from Chinatown

http://acm.org.sg/

4. and / or if you can prebook for your monday Baba House

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=baba+house+singapore&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQ6ofLguzWAhUFWhoKHR_FCvUQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=621

http://babahouse.nus.edu.sg/

5. You may wish to look around the Marina Bay complex possibly instead of Chinatown, there is a food hall in the basement.  A food Hall is an upmarket Hawker Center with air conditioning and higher prices and the service here is more tourist orientated and we fiund it sometimes unfriendly,  YOu could visit Gardens by thge Bay whilst here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shoppes+singapore&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQqoWOg-zWAhVB1xoKHf6FC5QQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1280&bih=621

http://www.marinabaysands.com/shopping.html#fJiLkkH0uRDIUwAP.97

I've given you options because we're not all the same.  Just because you don't like orchids don't write off Botanic with the Orchid Garden.  Aim to leave by taxi at around 11:00.  You'll be at Chinatown (ask to be dropped off at the temple) and you could be there until say 1:45 and head for Baba House which isn't far.  If you finish there early then either the Museum or Marina Bay and then back to the ship.

Have a look at all this for a starting point and ask.

=====

1.  Your time in Singapore so short that the saving you will make by looking for an ATM to save a little might be disruptive - simply get enough currency in advance if you can. 

2.  It makes no sense to hunt out specific food stalls in the China Complex.  The food is so cheap and because it isn't used by tourists but mostly local Chinese families and workers from nearby developments any poor place would go out of busienss within weeks, but almost all of these places have been handed down through generations.  You will not benefit byu huntingt out specific stalls but simply waste time and not look around as much as you should.  The approach I'd take is fror you to walk artound the whole complex.  Ther basement is a market that's interesting, then miss out ground level and go from basement to first floor and up.  Walk all the way around and simply look.  If anywhere has a short queue and you fancy the food then one of you goes and sits down at a table.  The well established procedure is to have a couple of packs of tissiue and you reserve your seats at a table by putting them on the table over your chosen seat- so both go and queue or one sit and the other queue.  I'd order one plate at a time and pick up two spoons and forks.  You may want to take on your trip some plastic cutlery if you want a knife as you won't find many in the hawker centers or food halls.  Most stalls offer options with rice or noodle we always choose noodle. So go to several stals moving each time as there are hundreds and share plates.  Each plate will be less than S$5 or so.  Many stalls have queues because it isn't better food but simply a few pence cheaper which doesn;t botrher you.  There is a great roasted meats stall that nearly always has a suckling pig on show.  That's good.  Try stuff you think you won't like and take a mothful.  You might be surprised.  Don't mistake the odd whiff of poor drains as poor drains - they sell durians from the basement.

3.  The Botanic Gardens are the best park we have ever seen,  It is so well staffed and natural but well manicured is also a research center so it  is worthwhile.  If you go into the Orchid Garden don't follow the arrows once you have paid and gone through the turnstilesin but go against the arrows.  Doing this will avoid you having the whole walk with perhaps a nosiy Japanese group always taking selfies nad you'll soak in atomosphere.  When you get into the taxi ask them to take you to  tthe Tanglin Gate at Botanic.  If he scratches his heads say the Botanic entrance close to Gleneagles Hospotal and he will know which one.  Look for signs saying both Orchid Garden and Ginger Garden that's the best route in.  In front of the Orchid Gardens will be pensioners doing Tai Chi which you could join if you want.  When returning come out of the Orchid Garden and keep the lake on your left and head towards the cafe's and Nassim Gate.  There's a taxi rank there, you press the button if there isn't one waiting and one will come up from the road.  Ask for Chinatown Complex and the temple is right outside.

4.  The Asia museum also gives reduced entry on production of copies of your passports ie as does The Orchid Garden.

5.  Baba House is really good and worthwhile and I'd go there after China Complex.  It is a traditional Peranakan house. It opens for one hour on your Monday but you must pre-book.  I had to correct our guide when there because she explained how they used the "cooking range" wrong and what she thought was the oven cave was where they put the fire!

6.  I don't think you will safely have time for the Changi Museum unless you forgo Botanic which I would't do.  Botanic is such an antidote to the ship you will love breathing in the air.  It is also largely covered walking because of the old trees and th breeze will be refreshing.

7.  After Baba House it may be around 3'ish and it may be the time to head back to the boat to be safe.

If you want to ask anything else- do!

=================

Hi M,

I have never come across anyone who doesn't speak English.  I am concerned that I don't tell you to get enough cash and in a way it is so much better to get much more than you need and not worry.  That's my approach.   I'd get say $S400 and change what you have left over when you get back.   The cruise terminal address is 55 Pasir Panjang Road, Singapore 118810.

Here is a taxi calc.

http://www.taxisingapore.com/taxi-fare-calculator/

So the taxi to Botanic should be:

Estimated fare for this trip is S$ 9.26.
Starting time:12:33
Distance: 7.82 km.
Duration: 22 min.

..... but probably might have a cruise terminal loading plus a pre 09:30 50% uplift.

Back to Chinatown Complex

Estimated fare for this trip is S$ 7.03.
Starting time:12:38
Distance: 5.3 km.
Duration: 16 min.

From Chinatown to Baba House ...

Estimated fare for this trip is S$ 3.66.
Starting time:12:39
Distance: 1.12 km.
Duration: 5 min.

....... and if you have time to go to the Aisa Civilisations Museum from Baba House

Estimated fare for this trip is S$ 5.72.
Starting time:12:41
Distance: 3.37 km.
Duration: 12 min.

..... and back to boat from Asian Civilisations.....

Estimated fare for this trip is S$ 9.58.
Starting time:12:41
Distance: 8.85 km.
Duration: 20 min.

From memory taxis before 9:30 may be 50% more and take longer due to traffic so taxis should be around a total of $S50 .  Entry to Orchid Garden is $S2 for the pair of you.  Baba House is a contribution say $S10.  Asian Civilisations Museum $S16 max.  Food allow say $S50 in total of say $S200 should do it but perhaps allow some extra for gifts and unexpecteds.  Try to get all small denominations.

Hope Singapore taster gives you enough to beguile you back for some real leisure at a later date.

=========================

Thanks, but genuinely it was no bother.   It was all in the head and I simply had to put it "on paper".  I've given you what I think is the absolutely perfect use of the limited time you have.  Botanic Singapore I suspect will be a lot different to what you may have seen before.  And make sure you get to the Orchid Garden  via the Ginger Garden as that will take you past the waterfall.  The Orchid Garden is odd in that I have no interest in flowers at all, but this really was an eye opener.  Frances will have a field day.

Baba House we first saw before it was open to the public and we tracked it down and arranged to have it open for us by students.  It really is very atmospheric and what I'm hoping is that on a Monday you might be the only people there.  It has limited opening on a Monday and that might infer limited interest. It is full of the past and the previous occupiers.  And there is a spy hole for people to see what is happening downstairs. 

In the Chinatown Complex you will be overwhelmed at how big it is.  Hundreds of stalls.  And there will be very few or no othr tourists there just the odd expat eating.  Chinese people might look at you wondering what you are doing there, and many times they will seek an excuse try and engage you in converstion.   Sometimes it's sort of pidgen english - but the Singapore Chinese have a tremendous affinity with us lot and don't always presume that if you are engaged it is part of a plot to sell you something.  They are really interested.  We  routinely head for walks in estates and sit and chat to locals. Very often it is the start of a tiger beer and conversation.  If you can, make sure you get some fresh sugar cane juice whilst in the center.  I'd say spend a good half an hour exploring all of the Chinatown Complex first bhefore eating including the market in the basement and when you see stuff to eat stop and eat it.  But share it so you double the plates. Just leave your plates on the table and they will be collected.

Our only dissapointent is how little time you have and it isn't a late or overnighter because Singapore at night is magic and there's Satay Street!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Jeff -  Thank you so much.  Do you recommend the night zoo?

No problems.

Re night Zoo as you can see it is a matter of taste and to an extent depends on how much time you have and what your priorities are and luck defines what you will actually see and you also need to like sharing the epxerience with crowds of others.  So it rates very low with us. 

As a basic rule we also tend not to visit zoos when abroad because we feel a zoo is very much a zoo whatever country it is in and using precious time to simply see the same animals but in a different country doesn't make much sense for us.  There are walking trails but many sit on a "tram" with a pile of others and queues can sometimes be very long and irritating.  

I also get grumpy when with lot's of other people particularly with the advent of the all consumuing selfy and the screams that go with it.

If it is a choice of satay or the zoo I always go for satay ...... 🙂

You might want to read some of the TA reveiews and decide which comments to place fvalue on depending on what type you are ..............

I hope you enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Enjoy your stay.  4 days is much better than 1!

Thanks for providing the info Jeff!  Myster and I are now safely ensconced in the San Fran Four Seasons after a very long day of travel.   We are ready to start this adventure!

• Like 1

Of course I am awake at the crack of doom this morning.  Must say the hotel is gorgeous and quiet as a crypt at 3:30 am.  Myster is still sleeping so I am making every effort to be quiet.  For now.  🙂  Looking forward to the Gala tonight and hopefully meeting some of the lovely folks who have been enlivening this thread!

Is everyone in place?  🙂  We met some lovely folk from Stockholm this afternoon!  We found Joe and Mrs Joe.  Have not yet managed to identify Turtle 1 and 2 or DCC and HunE or 343 and Mrs. 343.  Looking forward to the quest this evening.  🙂 

58 minutes ago, mysty said:

Is everyone in place?  🙂  We met some lovely folk from Stockholm this afternoon!  We found Joe and Mrs Joe.  Have not yet managed to identify Turtle 1 and 2 or DCC and HunE or 343 and Mrs. 343.  Looking forward to the quest this evening.  🙂 

We're present!  Been out to watch a movie on this damp afternoon after 8 days on the go in this lovely city. The cruise will be a rest! I'm sure you'll find us this evening.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

We're present!  Been out to watch a movie on this damp afternoon after 8 days on the go in this lovely city. The cruise will be a rest! I'm sure you'll find us this evening.

Hopefully!  🙂  You can look for a short woman with short salt & pepper hair (like many others on this cruise 🙂 ) wearing a black fringed velvet jacket, silver blouse and black trousers.  Myster will be in black jacket and trousers, also salt & pepper hair and glasses.  

• Like 1