Beverage Package - medical exemption?

dznymom

I have seen some posts that alluded to the possibility of getting an exemption to the requirement for both people in a stateroom to purchase the same beverage package. Has anyone actually gotten this approved?

My husband can't drink for medical reasons, but I can and do :evilsmile: I would love the convenience of having the Elite Beverage Pkg for myself, and getting him the Quench Package. In the past on HAL I have gotten a wine package, and a bottle or 2 for the room. But I found I don't actually drink much in the room, and would prefer to be able to order in bars around the ship, as well as have a good variety of wines at dinner. I know I can do this by paying as I go, but I would prefer a package.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has been able to do this, or if it is an urban legend :)

Edited by dznymom

In an ideal world (civilized) it should be possible for one person in a stateroom to not have to buy the drinks package - for medical reasons or simple preference. But the lines understand the attitudes of too many of their customers - and know that it easy enough for someone to bring a “doctor’s letter” (see all the attempts to bring “support” animals). I’d be inclined to doubt that an exception would be granted.

Thank you, you are probably all correct. I thought maybe someone would chime in that had done it. It's all good, and I will surely drink way less this way :)

I will say, Celebrity is not my preferred cruiseline, but I had their Premium Package, and my husband had their Premium non-alcohol package and it worked out perfectly for us. I guess it's something to consider next time we book.

I wouldn't count on HAL accepting a doctor's note to be exempt from having to buy the Drink Package.

In this computer era, it is so easy to produce a 'document at will. How do they know if one is legitimate?

I do not think they would (or should) make an exception to their rule Rules are for all of us? If they give you a pass, what about all the others who do not want to pay for two packages? Where is the line drawn? I suggest the line is the rule is made cl lear and hat is that. They drew the line when they made the rule known .

Thank you, you are probably all correct. I thought maybe someone would chime in that had done it. It's all good, and I will surely drink way less this way :)

I will say, Celebrity is not my preferred cruiseline, but I had their Premium Package, and my husband had their Premium non-alcohol package and it worked out perfectly for us. I guess it's something to consider next time we book.

About a year (or so) ago someone reported success in having their cabin mate buy a Quench(?) package, instead of the Beverage Package. I think it had to go up the food chain at HAL. Give me some time, I may be able to find the thread.

About a year (or so) ago someone reported success in having their cabin mate buy a Quench(?) package, instead of the Beverage Package. I think it had to go up the food chain at HAL. Give me some time, I may be able to find the thread.

And, ^^ is a good reason for them to say 'NO'. If they made an exception for that person and they ran to the internet to tell the world. now others in the www also want an. exception. people cannot keep some things to themselves and human nature runs to tell the world. HAL should say NO, IMO

If OP gets away wirh it, I hope she keeps it to herrself.. :) JMO Why would HAL say okay again?? ;D

I would call HAL and ask. And if you get a positive answer, have them send you something in writing confirming this. Take that and your physician's letter with you when you board.

If you get a negative, at least you will know and can explore other options well in advance. :)

The fact that Celebrity was so accommodating is good to know.

And, ^^ is a good reason for them to say 'NO'. If they made an exception for that person and they ran to the internet to tell the world. now others in the www also want an. exception. people cannot keep some things to themselves and human nature runs to tell the world. HAL should say NO, IMO

If OP gets away wirh it, I hope she keeps it to herrself.. :) JMO Why would HAL say okay again?? ;D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Edited by VennDiagram

I faxed my doctors note to HAL a week before just in case they had any questions. They did not. We also purchased our beverage packages ahead of time so it would be all set by the time we got on the ship.

I’m sharing my experience because it’s a legitimate medical issue. I was not “getting away” with something. Believe me, I’d love to be able to have the occasional glass of wine!

• Thanks 1

I did this in June.

My doctor provided a letter stating I cannot consume alcohol due to medical reasons. My husband purchased the Elite package and I purchased the Quench package.

Thank you so much for your helpful response. That is exactly what we would like to do. I will give that a try and see what happens.

Oh, I just saw your second post. I would not have thought to do it ahead of time, so thank you so much for that info as well!

I faxed my doctors note to HAL a week before just in case they had any questions. They did not. We also purchased our beverage packages ahead of time so it would be all set by the time we got on the ship.

I’m sharing my experience because it’s a legitimate medical issue. I was not “getting away” with something. Believe me, I’d love to be able to have the occasional glass of wine!

Again, thanks for letting us know your experience (y) :)

Thank you for this info. Very good to know. (y)

It's nice to see posts confirming what the OP asked. I have seen similar posts on the boards and I think it's only fair that if one party cannot imbibe for medical reasons the other shouldn't be punished.

HAL is trying to avoid "sharing" which is totally understandable but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know a genuine note from a doctor (which can be verified by a phone call, email/fax) versus a fake one.

OP, do persue this as it needs to be arranged in advance and good luck :)

In this computer era, it is so easy to produce a 'document at will. How do they know if one is legitimate?

I do not think they would (or should) make an exception to their rule Rules are for all of us? If they give you a pass, what about all the others who do not want to pay for two packages? Where is the line drawn? I suggest the line is the rule is made cl lear and hat is that. They drew the line when they made the rule known .

It is very easy to be hard-nosed.

About issues that don't affect you.

• Like 1

It is very easy to be hard-nosed.

About issues that don't affect you.

Many of us could reply 'ditto' :)

We all have one issue or another and I certainly get pounced on plenty. It i s easy to think we ar e the only one with an issue or problem but, of course, that is not the case.

My issues do not affect you but they are very real. Your issue is also real and it does not affect me.

Edited by sail7seas

I think it’s a dumb rule. No rule like this on Celebrity. My DH does not drink alcohol. On the other hand I drink more wine than other types of drinks so would never pay for one of these packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband got a note from his heart doctor yesterday. We don't sail until November, so I am not sure who to send it to, or when, but I will update this thread once I do.

Thanks again to all the folks that contributed helpful comments and suggestions!