Driving in from Myrtle Beach and need some suggestions

larrybritt

We are driving in from Myrtle Beach to Port Everglades for a Princess Cruise Dec 15th. This our first time driving. We are planning to leave Friday the 14th by 4am. Looks like an 11hr trip. Should we power through and stay in Ft Lauderdale or if not, how far away is ok to stay and drive in the morning? Also we plan to park at the port, how does that work? Do we unload our stuff and then park or do we park and carry everything to ship? Thanks everyone.

We have driven from NC a couple of times. I don't know if early Dec is start of high season in FLL area but hotels can be very expensive. We have stayed at Port St Lucie which is just over an hour away. There are many chain hotels right by the highway in a pretty nice area with places to eat etc. Hotels there were very reasonable. The difference was enough to pay for our parking at the port.

The closer you get to Ft Lauderdale the better. Construction along I-95, specially closer to South Florida, can throw a wrench in your timeline (we almost missed our cruise one time because our drive took almost 4 hours longer than expected).

I would, at a max, leave 3-4 hours of driving for the morning of the cruise, and even then, I’d leave the hotel as early as possible. For our last cruise, we drove the last 3 hours in the morning, arrived at the port around 10am, went to a restaurant and had an early lunch before proceeding to the port for boarding. Worked out just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Construction along I-95, specially closer to South Florida, can throw a wrench in your timeline (we almost missed our cruise one time because our drive took almost 4 hours longer than expected).

Valid point BUT .. there isn't any significant 95 construction in Florida at this time ..... I'm gonna drive from exit 188 to exit 68 tomorrow .... I'f I find something new I'll report back

good site for real time Central Florida traffic info: http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/traffic

if you stop in the Titusville ... Cape Canaveral .... Melbourne area you are inside of 200 miles from port everglades. In other words ... about 3 hours (given speeds in FL on 95 .... LESS)

I suggest you look at these areas wrt rooms near the highway and FOOD choices near the highway .....

**** Don't drive tired ....... it costs less to SLEEP as compared to the alternative ..... ******

Valid point BUT .. there isn't any significant 95 construction in Florida at this time...

Valid point BUT, in the 10 years I lived in South Florida, I learned that something as insignificant as a few road cones on the side of the road would cause an insane traffic jam. And sometimes the traffic would be backed up for miles for no apparent reason. I learned to take back roads way out of the way to avoid traffic, and other times I had no choice but to sit in traffic for 2 hours to cover the 17 miles home. Glad I don’t live there anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would push on past PC and stay near West Palm - about 1+ hour drive from PE. Grab breakfast, get on the road and arrive at PE about 10-10:30. You should be checked in and on the ship before noon. ;)

I would push on past PC and stay near West Palm - about 1+ hour drive from PE. Grab breakfast, get on the road and arrive at PE about 10-10:30. You should be checked in and on the ship before noon. ;)

And make sure that before you leave your hotel (staying anywhere from Fort Pierce south), that you check traffic conditions. From Fort Pierce south to Miami I-95 and the Florida Turnpike run parallel (and sometimes within sight of each other). The Turnpike is a toll road but if I-95 is seriously backed up it will be a life saver.

Good advice. Also plan a few rest stops on the way .... stretch legs, hydrate, etc. and continue somewhat refreshed.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Just wanted to get a feel for potential good places to stop. Not familiar with the Florida traffic. We have 3 people that can drive so hoping we will make it down to Fort Lauderdale and get a Hampton Inn. Have a decent dinner before Saturday departure!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Just wanted to get a feel for potential good places to stop. Not familiar with the Florida traffic. We have 3 people that can drive so hoping we will make it down to Fort Lauderdale and get a Hampton Inn. Have a decent dinner before Saturday departure!

You should be okay if 3 people alternate every couple of hours. Rest stops on I-95 in Fl are pretty good and not spread too far apart. There is an Express lane that starts in Palm Beach County, I believe. 3 people are eligible to use that. As you're heading south, late afternoon heavy traffic tends to flow north, but expect log jams on Friday afternoon as you approach FLL, maybe Boca Raton. I assume by Hampton Inn you mean to one near the Airport on Stirling Road. Definitely a 2-3 light wait at the exit ramp.

We've stayed in Ft Pierce heading to POM in the past. Prices for 1 night tend to be cheaper there and it's an easy ride on a Saturday morning early down to FLL.

When we drive in from North Alabama (12 hour drive), we usually stop around 3-4 hours short of FLL. If you're on the road by 7 AM, you'll be at the port before boarding starts. You'll have a four hour reserve in case of trouble. We prefer the turnpike to the interstate. One thing, I would stop at the last rest stop on the way and gas for the return trip. You'll have a full tank for the way home and save a hassle on the way out of town.

Hi..my $.02

We drove from ohio to Miami before. We stopped in Palm Bay, which ended up to be about 4 hour drive. No problems. Since FLL is an hour or so closer...we are planning on stopping in June 2019.

On a plus side...there is a Cuban bakery that is awesome in Palm Bay called Tree of Life. We went there on the way there and back since it was so good.

As a side note...is the parking at the port $15 a day?

We are driving in from Myrtle Beach to Port Everglades for a Princess Cruise Dec 15th. This our first time driving. We are planning to leave Friday the 14th by 4am. Looks like an 11hr trip. Should we power through and stay in Ft Lauderdale or if not, how far away is ok to stay and drive in the morning? Also we plan to park at the port, how does that work? Do we unload our stuff and then park or do we park and carry everything to ship? Thanks everyone.

We also drive south from Myrtle beach and leave like you in the wee hours to avoid school bus and get on the highway early. You didn't calculate PIT stops and gas stops nor for a bite to eat. Pending no traffic, it would be more like 13 to 15 hours. We usually stay pre-cruise either in Vero Beach at a Hampton Inn Or Embassy Suites @ Palm Beach Gardens. If we decide to drive straight through to Ft. Lauderdale, we stay at the Embassy Suites and park for the cruise at Park N Go on Eller Drive. Pre-book parking for about $8 per day; safe and very easy shuttle to port and return.