What exactly does a butler do?

Lou2204

See, that's why a butler wouldn't be for ME. I would find that intrusive and annoying.

I have never had one enter unannounced! They always ring the bell. That would throw me as well.

Karin G. Would come visit my mom and me on the Sun more than any concierge ever has. We really enjoyed her visits. Leah certainly never did visit us last cruise. I think Monica did once or twice. Hanno didn't but he is still our favorite! Just love that man.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We recently was on the Dawn and our experience with the Butler we had was a disappointment. She did have snacks in our room every afternoon but when we wanted to dine in our room one evening she told us to order from the room service menu. I had to ask if we were able to order from the dining room menu which was met with a sigh. When we called in the morning for breakfast we were "scolded" that we should of filled out the hanger for the door. This was on sea days, we didn't know what time we would wake up!

While at dinner the last night in Cagney's we saw her taking dessert back for two ladies dining next to us to their room for later. Great idea but since she never told us she would do this we didn't have that option. She also never once told us that the phone in the room was to contact her.

Very disappointed with our "butler" experience!

I think you should make NCL aware of this.

See, that's why a butler wouldn't be for ME. I would find that intrusive and annoying.
You'd think it would be, but they always ring the bell, open the door and announce themselves from the entryway before coming in further, and never when the DND was on the door. Most are very good at sensing what you're comfortable with, both in how they do or don't enter and how they interact with you. We've always had ones who arrive like a cheerful whirlwind, make you feel spoiled, and poof, out of your hair.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

You are not charged for room service unless you order from a specialty restaurant. Want pizza at midnight? Free. Want full breakfast from the Haven restaurant? Free. At the pool and craving nachos from O’Sheehans? Free (use your portable butler phone for this request). Want dessert from Le Bistro? A charge.

OMG I wished I had posted this question before. We were told by the butler there would be a charge, also for the items in the

Mini bar?

Also we didn’t have a portable butler phone...? I’m wondering whether this was different as we weren’t really in Haven, but in a suite on a ship that has no Haven? (Star)

We were told by the butler there would be a charge, also for the items in the

Mini bar?

For mini-bar items, yes. There would have been a charge.

For food items (room service, complimentary restaurants), no charge.

For specialty restaurants items, the same "payment" as if you were at the restaurant (SDP, SDP+upcharge, or a la carte).

Thanks all for your insights. I really wish I had known some of these things upfront, if you’re new to cruising, wouldn’t be so strange if the butler explains to you what they are for and what you can use them for ...?

To think I sent my poor husband all

Over the ship at 11 pm to fetch me a glass of wine.

I better not tell him 😝😝

Well, first world problems, we’re able bodied and self sufficient and we had a wonderful time regardless. The best part of the suite service in my opinion is the

Priority embarking and disembarking.

We had a butler in a suite on the non-Haven Spirit. Teo was great at refilling the coffee with exactly the type we wanted, making sure that the afternoon treats were ones we liked (we asked for M&Ms instead of cheese/crackers or anything savory more than once), asking us what time we'd be back in the afternoon so the treats were timed perfectly, etc. He even brought us a special after-dinner treat for my husband's birthday, with no request from me.

On the Jade (has a mini-Haven), in addition to restocking the coffee to our likes, our butler, Rizaldi, also made sure that we had the "right" 3 bottles of liquor in our DOS and when he would stop by to refill the coffee mid-morning every day, he'd check if we needed anything special that day. For my husband's birthday on that cruise, he decorated the entire room with balloons and streamers and left us tons of goodies and a full new bottle of champagne.

One thing we've yet to have -- or ask for -- is unpacking or packing. In fact, we've never had a butler ask if we wanted either yet. On our last cruise, I was ready to say "yes" if asked, just to see what it was like to have everything unpacked and put away for me. I wondered if I would find everything, would it be done the same way I would have done it, etc. Alas, he did not ask and I did not ask either. I think I am afraid that I'll like it too much. :)

One thing we've yet to have -- or ask for -- is unpacking or packing. In fact, we've never had a butler ask if we wanted either yet.

Although I've never used that service, what I believe happens is that a guest remains in the stateroom while the butler unpacks. This helps to place items where/how the guest wants them.

Although I've never used that service, what I believe happens is that a guest remains in the stateroom while the butler unpacks. This helps to place items where/how the guest wants them.

Oh dear, as great as it sounds on paper, imagine the response of my 2 teenage daughters. They would be BEYOND mortified if anybody touched their clothes. Mind you, the shape their suitcase was in, so would I!!

:')

It is the cordless phone handset on the desk.

It is a VOIP phone running on the ship’s Wi-Fi (like the phone carried by th crew). You can take it anywhere on the ship.

Our phone seemed to have a cord. But then, I missed more things I’m

Learning about now, so it was probably cordless after all.

We had a butler in a suite on the non-Haven Spirit. Teo was great at refilling the coffee with exactly the type we wanted, making sure that the afternoon treats were ones we liked (we asked for M&Ms instead of cheese/crackers or anything savory more than once), asking us what time we'd be back in the afternoon so the treats were timed perfectly, etc. He even brought us a special after-dinner treat for my husband's birthday, with no request from me.

On the Jade (has a mini-Haven), in addition to restocking the coffee to our likes, our butler, Rizaldi, also made sure that we had the "right" 3 bottles of liquor in our DOS and when he would stop by to refill the coffee mid-morning every day, he'd check if we needed anything special that day. For my husband's birthday on that cruise, he decorated the entire room with balloons and streamers and left us tons of goodies and a full new bottle of champagne.

One thing we've yet to have -- or ask for -- is unpacking or packing. In fact, we've never had a butler ask if we wanted either yet. On our last cruise, I was ready to say "yes" if asked, just to see what it was like to have everything unpacked and put away for me. I wondered if I would find everything, would it be done the same way I would have done it, etc. Alas, he did not ask and I did not ask either. I think I am afraid that I'll like it too much. :)

I can relate to that!! I’m already dreading having to make our own dinners again ;)

Your tips and experience are very helpful, thanks for sharing.

And I notice you also sailed YC with MSC. How do you think it compares to NCL Haven? We sailed YC last year and obviously loved it. Never used the butler then either ;p

I get it. I'm like you. Being the first of the month, we just went over the finances and it seems we have a large surplus. DH said "maybe we should get the butler for our Oct cruise". At $4000+ more....no way. We avoid snacks and enjoy the buffet. DH doesn't wear sunglasses and I wear transition lenses...lol.

That extra $4K can go for some nice jewelry!

Too right!! Will last longer too ;-)

That’s a lot extra though. For us it was quite cost effective as we shared the suite with our daughters. So for the 4 of us it wasn’t bad.

Another example of what the butler can do. We were on the Epic, having dinner at Moderno (opposite end of the ship). My family member forgot their lactose intolerance medicine in our cabin. We used the room's cordless phone to ring our butler to bring it to us.

Obviously you have never met Maxi. In the DOS he anticipated our every need and then some. We have had some good stewards over the year but not compare anywhere close to Maxi!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maxi!! The wonderful Maxi!

:)

One of the very best Butlers, anywhere.

How he managed to appear calm and unhurried, when he clearly had a lot to do!?

We have no idea how he does that... while remaining super pleasant, too!

And yes, he seems to read minds... ;)

(But Maxi was a Butler when we met him a few years ago, not a steward. Big difference in the ways they can assist.)

GC