Using Uber for more than two people

Nebr.cruiser

Our group is flying into Miami but cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale., so we will need transfers. There will be four of us, plus our luggage. Other times we have used SAS shuttle, and once (with a larger group) a limo company.

I have not used Uber before. Is there an option for a larger vehicle, as I doubt four people plus luggage would work with the average car?

My sister who will be with us has used Uber quite a bit, but usually by herself, so she didn't know the answer to this.

if you have the UBEr app on your phone

you can enter a trip (from X to Y) and get a current price for X and XL

nothing is booked until you 'confirm'

your actual price could vary but IME not by much (demand pricing)

I run 'tests' all the time to respond to post here ... never been charged in error

Or you can get pricing estimates from the main Uber website. Enter start and end locations and it will show pricing for ALL of the options available for that route. Which helps to let you know what's even available in that market.

For example, there are vehicle options available in NYC that you won't find in some other locales. Completely depends on market and drivers.

Uber and UberXL (and Lyft) are all plentiful and within a couple of minutes away in south Florida.

Note to the OP, just curious, why flying into Miami and cruising out of Port Everglades? Typically flying into FLL is much cheaper than MIA. Not to mention flying into Ft. Lauderdale your transportation costs will be cut in half.

Note to the OP, just curious, why flying into Miami and cruising out of Port Everglades? Typically flying into FLL is much cheaper than MIA.

Not the OP, but precisely that word you used. Typically.

FLL has a reputation for lower pricing, just as does Southwest. However, that's not always true (in both cases). Even though MIA is an AA fortress hub, it has been subject to pricing pressure from FLL. Thus, you could easily find better pricing into MIA rather than FLL. Plus, recognize that ticket pricing is very dependent on demand for specific dates and flights. "Cruise day" at FLL isn't the bargain it once was.

Also, the OP might have been redeeming award tickets on AA, which would preclude many FLL options.

I really don't want to fly into Miami for a Ft. Lauderdale cruise, but there really wasn't a good option for us. We are flying in one way and using miles to come back--coming back out of FLL We just couldn't find a flight that worked for us into Fort Lauderdale. I spent hours, days and weeks trying to find something better and finally booked because prices were going up and routes were getting crazier, even though it was far from ideal.

Maybe if you live in a big city or near a major airport it is easier, but here almost every flight to FLL either got in really late (past midnight), had some crazy schedule (Omaha to Philly, 9.5 hours in Philly, then on to FLL) or was really pricey. A few weeks back, using miles, one option took us from Omaha to Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale! Come on now.

Coming back on the last day most flights either leave very early-too early for getting off the ship and to the airport. The best we could do out of FLL was 5:35, which means finding something to do after getting off the ship, with luggage.

Yes, we know we can take tours--have done that--or rent a car for the day--done that too, etc., but it makes it difficult. Why not a few mid-day flights!

There are mid-day flights. And guess what....lots of people want them. Therefore, you will find them to be sold-out and/or with higher pricing than for flights at less desirable times.

Econ 101.

You are right. There are a few (very few) mid-day flights from our airport, but, a lot more expensive and sometimes very strange routes.

But I guess that's what we get for living in an uncrowded, beautiful, clean, safe corner of the world. Wouldn't change that for big city life just to get better flights! Except maybe in the depths of winter.;)clear.png?emoji-wink-1685