Princess Doesn't offer a break for singles ?

kittenjing

Yes , could be friends are all couples . Only OP can answer that , but a large group of couples should have single friends ?

I’m just guessing that the OP has those options but may just insist on a cabin for their self ? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Frankly, it's pretty rare for couples to have any single friends at all, unless they are newly divorced or widowed. Ask me how I know :(

A cabin on a ship is more than a hotel room as a hotel room is mostly used as a room with the odd meal included (unless its a resort type affair) where a cabin on a ship comes with a lot more.

I understand why cruise lines charge per person and why they charge similar rates for children.

However some lines are seeing the trends in solo travellers and creating cabins for this on their newer ships.

Main reason is, they can advertise lower prices.

True, but on a per-person basis, solo passengers spend more on board than those who are part of a couple or family group. They are more likely to buy photos, drinks, and activities.

Source for this?

Why would they do so? Drinks maybe.

I spend more onboard when I'm cruising by myself than with someone. If I'm with my sister, we may enjoy a glass of wine from the bottles we brought onboard. If I'm by myself, drinking alone in my inside cabin is pretty pathetic, so I'm more likely to go a bar or the Crow's Nest to be with other people.

I'm also more likely to buy the ship's excursions when I'm by myself. Those are just two examples.

Roz

Maybe I'm the anomaly, but I'm sure I spend less when traveling solo. I certainly wouldn't be purchasing photos (of myself???) and I'm pretty sure I drink less when traveling by myself than with friends or family -- part of it is being a solo female and wanting to stay very alert and avoid any kind of situation. So a glass of wine or two with dinner is about it.

I don't take ship tours whether alone or in a group, nor do I gamble or go to the spa. I'd be more likely to go to a specialty restaurant when traveling with others than solo. There's not much else I spend money on, onboard....

Source for this?

I think it was a CLIA report, but I'd have to search it out.

The reasons are that solos tend to want to socialize more and so spend more in bars, they don't want to do ports on their own and so spend more on excursions, and they tend to spend more in the spa (I suppose because it's a 'personal splurge' trip?).

Obviously there are exceptions, but that's what they were saying.

Source for this?

Good question. I know when I cruised solo I drank much less (drinking alone is grim and dangerous); I never bought a photo - to share with who?; I wandered ports alone rather than joining ships’ tours: the bottom line: solo cruisers are not likely to big onboard spenders —- and are thus not very desirable customers - surely not the sort to be wooed with half charges for two-person cabins (which is exactly what letting singles sail without surcharge amounts to).

It is pretty much the same for any vacation package. I do dive vacation and my dh prefers to stay home since I spend most of the time diving.. So I have to pay double for the trip. Liveaboards are the same.

Many people would say, why should I supplement a single traveler. I know many people that have told me to let them know if my dh doesn't want to do a cruise, they will go with me. So, do singles look for a roommate or do they like the cabin to themselves?

An increasing number of cruise lines are offering single cabins, but Princess is not one of them, not even on their newest class.

As others have mentioned, discounts will normally only be available on cruises that aren't selling well, generally at the last minute.

AND no discount on any of the better ctegory cabins not suites or even most verndah cabins.

I think most people feel this way. You would want to know a potential roommate very well before even considering sharing a cabin for a week or longer.

This exactly. It's easier said than done to find someone acceptable to share a cabin with. Plus they have to want to cruise, be able to go where and when you want to go, and have the money to do so.

And I hope I didn't give the impression that when I sail solo and drink in a bar, I get sloppy drunk. What I was trying to say is that given a choice between having a glass of wine by myself in my room and sitting in a bar with others, I'd prefer to be with others.

And I guess I'm a weirdo because I occasionally buy a photo of myself as a souvenir. Other than a cell phone selfie, how do I take a picture of myself?

Roz

Just to play Devil's Advocate, if cruise lines didn't charge a hefty single supplement what would keep a couple from each booking a stateroom individually? Say a balcony cost $1500pp and an inside $1000pp. A couple immediately saves $500 by booking one in a balcony and one in the inside. Then they room together in the balcony and use the inside for storage and an extra bathroom. A lot of people would do just that if they could.

Even when a line offers "kids sail free" it's based on two fare paying adults in the same cabin. Single mom with two children wouldn't qualify.

As somebody who sailed solo I feel the OP's pain and could have sailed more often with a cabin mate. I have friends that I love dearly but spending two or three weeks with them in the same room is not something that I would do.

I spend more onboard when I'm cruising by myself than with someone. If I'm with my sister, we may enjoy a glass of wine from the bottles we brought onboard. If I'm by myself, drinking alone in my inside cabin is pretty pathetic, so I'm more likely to go a bar or the Crow's Nest to be with other people.

I'm also more likely to buy the ship's excursions when I'm by myself. Those are just two examples.

Roz

That is YOU. So you take that and generalize to ALL solo cruisers?

So, do singles look for a roommate

Yes, there are websites for this. Not allowed here on CC.

It depends. I have a single friend, who prefers to cruise single. She uses it as a get away. Very few drinks. NO pictures. No excursions, many times never leaves the ship.

And I hope I didn't give the impression that when I sail solo and drink in a bar, I get sloppy drunk. What I was trying to say is that given a choice between having a glass of wine by myself in my room and sitting in a bar with others, I'd prefer to be with others.

And I guess I'm a weirdo because I occasionally buy a photo of myself as a souvenir. Other than a cell phone selfie, how do I take a picture of myself?

Roz

When you cruise with others you have NO drinks that you pay for?

You ask others take a photo of you. Heck, most times, if you are trying to take a selfie, someone will offer.

Did she say anywhere that she was generalizing? No, she reported on what she did.

Thnks you, Calliope

I made a statement as pertains to me and no suggestion what anyone else should do. Maybe someone reading fels feels the way y I DO . Maybe what I wrote is useful info to someone

/ ?

So, do singles look for a roommate or do they like the cabin to themselves?

I am willing to book a less expensive cabin or hotel, fly in the back of the plane, use travel points, and make smart choices in my daily life (e.g., less dining out, fewer impulse purchases, etc.) in order to enable myself to travel 2-3 times a year on land trips and/or by cruise ship.

Having a room-mate is the one thing I won't consider.

I am willing to book a less expensive cabin or hotel, fly in the back of the plane, use travel points, and make smart choices in my daily life (e.g., less dining out, fewer impulse purchases, etc.) in order to enable myself to travel 2-3 times a year on land trips and/or by cruise ship.

Having a room-mate is the one thing I won't consider.

There are a few select people with whom I will share a cabin. (I can count them on one hand.) If those people are not able to go, I pay for my own cabin.

There are a few select people with whom I will share a cabin. (I can count them on one hand.) If those people are not able to go' date=' I pay for my own cabin.[/quote']

I feel the same way - there are perhaps four or five who would qualify. I think it would be sad to have no one I could consider - I hope I do not live that long.

Princess USED to have single fares on repositioning cruises that were only around 150% of the per-person fare, but since the popularity of repos (transatlantics at the beginning and end of the Med cruising season) has grown substantially, they can easily fill the ships without offering any decent deals for solo cruisers.

So we either find someone to share a cabin with or we have to have to bite the bullet and pay the 200% fare ….. or stay home and wish we were cruising!!!