Buffet tip

Peachypooh

I bought a tray from the Christmas Tree shop last spring for cruising after reading tips here that the buffet doesn’t have them. I think it cost a whopping 1.29. I bring it anytime we cruise and are not Haven (typically don’t hit the buffet when we are in the Haven). They had several designs, mine is teal with a nautical theme ( shells, etc). One of the many tips I learned on CC.

I think your post is tacky. Some people really find them useful, especially elderly cruisers.

Cool. Maybe they can wear sweatpants on formal night, too.

Point is, there are standards that some people do appreciate. You can always make excuses.

Last cruise we took we packed a small plastic tray and put our dish and cup on it to carry to our table or out to the pool area. Worked really well.

This is a good idea. I remember the buffets having trays available when I first started cruising in 2001. It was not tacky and prevented a lot of spills in the buffet area. It was nice to not have to try to juggle a plate, a salad bowl, and a drink or two in the often crowded buffet area.

I believe that the absence of trays is to discourage passengers from taking more food than they will likely eat.

Also,

I don’t think trays are tacky.

I don’t think the buffet is tacky.

On many occasions I watched crew members assist those who were unable to handle getting their own food.

~KweezyCruiser

I believe that the absence of trays is to discourage passengers from taking more food than they will likely eat.

Also,

I don’t think trays are tacky.

I don’t think the buffet is tacky.

On many occasions I watched crew members assist those who were unable to handle getting their own food.

~KweezyCruiser

I made the comment a little tongue in cheek. I'm sorry so many have taken it too seriously.

I'm sure the lack of trays has more to do with less cleaning up for the crew. Trays have to be cleaned, dried, stacked - you need space for them at the trash station or it's simply more for the crew to bus from tables. Plus, in crowded cruise buffets, people walking all over with big trays means a lot more accidents. Drinks falling off, slippery floors, etc.

For someone who requires assistance, ask a crew member (as you pointed out) - but getting rid of trays makes sense in so many ways. They are unnecessary.

Cool. Maybe they can wear sweatpants on formal night, too.

Point is, there are standards that some people do appreciate. You can always make excuses.

There is no formal nights on NCL. Many wear shorts to dinner every night. Sweatpants is a step above most attire. Freestyle.

Not sure when you cruised last, or what line, but NCL has plenty trays at the buffet. I do recall one line had stopped using them awhile back but I can't remember which one.

Maybe it was NCL when they weren't allowing food to be taken back to the cabin?

HAL eliminated trays in lido Buffet years ago.

IF YOU WISH TO BUYand use A SMALL Easily packed light weight tray in a dollar store, no one will stop you and you will not be the only person using one.