British Night on Fred

Fjord4Fun

2 hours ago, Fjord4Fun said:

It's not just about the 'event', it's the fact that the company and fellow guests revel in such xenophobic behaviour in the name of 'fun'.  Just not for me.

Probably best if you avoid visiting Norway on Norway Day then!

2 hours ago, marylizcat said:

Probably best if you avoid visiting Norway on Norway Day then!

Why ever not? 

I don't have a problem with 'British Nights' IN BRITAIN (or Norway day in Norway for that matter - in fact I'm actually planning to be in Bergen for the 2020 Norway Constitution Day) but when in foreign waters we should show some respect.  It's not clever, for example, for P&O to play Dambusters March as they manoeuvre past an Aida cruise ship, or to blast out 'Rule Britannia' when leaving any foreign port.

20 hours ago, Fjord4Fun said:

Why ever not? 

I don't have a problem with 'British Nights' IN BRITAIN (or Norway day in Norway for that matter - in fact I'm actually planning to be in Bergen for the 2020 Norway Constitution Day) but when in foreign waters we should show some respect.  It's not clever, for example, for P&O to play Dambusters March as they manoeuvre past an Aida cruise ship, or to blast out 'Rule Britannia' when leaving any foreign port.

You are assuming that people in foreign ports would actually know what Rule Britannia or the Dam-busters tune is to be offended or indeed care about the music played on a departing ship. If offence was caused then presumably port authorities or other ships captains would complain and call time on the P&O sail away.

Respect is (quite rightly) shown on ships to their ports of call by using the appropriate flags while near or in port.

While I am personally not into the flag waving etc on Fred it is just one show on one night that can be avoided easily by those who don’t enjoy it and attended by those who do. What it is not is “dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries” which is the definition of xenophobia. It is people celebrating their country, in a theatre, in the middle of the ocean usually.

• Haha 1

I sailed on a Fred Olsen ship for the first time last year.

I was aware that there was a British night, so we made sure we each had an outfit that included red, white and blue, and it was entertaining to see all the other passengers dressed in the same colours.

We entered into the 'Last Night of the Proms' vibe, and it was a fun evening.

I'm a veteran of many P&O 'Great British Sailaways, and, although they are not everybody's cup of tea, I find them to be harmlessly entertaining and not sinister.  The passengers on adjacent ships always seem to enter into the spirit of the event. 

However, I agree that there are always a few idiots around, when there's an Aida ship close by and I frown on their antics - it is a tiny minority of people though. 

I would add that I'm very Pro-Europe, and not a raving Kipper or anything! 

I too love 'Last Night of The Proms' events - in fact I proposed to my wife during such a concert (just before the canon fire and fireworks of the 1812 - timing is everything !!!). But there is a time and a place for everything.  I'm sure many Fred cruisers love it, just as Celebrity cruisers love their art auctions and having their photo taken every hour, so each to their own.

I call it "Micky Mouse Night".  It was still on the cruise we returned from yesterday.

We also do not see the point in it and as the ship's senior staff pointed out there were people on board from a number of other countries, not just Brits anyway.  

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:52 AM, Fjord4Fun said:

It's not just about the 'event', it's the fact that the company and fellow guests revel in such xenophobic behaviour in the name of 'fun'.  Just not for me.

"Xenophobic behaviour"??

That means  " A dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries”.   

I dont think Ive met many on a Fred cruise.....or any other for that matter..... who have that attitude......quite the contrary.

Its also quite sad  that displaying a small amount of Patriotism is seen as "xenophobic" by you and others.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The worst night of our cruise, walked into the Neptune Lounge and just walked out again, absolutely awful, crumpled up the song sheet and threw it into one of the potted plants. Nothing against Fred's, love their cruises and the ambiance on the rest of the ship, would just avoid this awful evening.

• Like 1

I wrote a reply to this topic which along with some others seems to have disappeared. I would therefore like to post again that I find it offensive that passengers who enjoy such evenings are labelled as xenophobic. This is outrageous. Everyone to there own. Some may find it offensive that passengers would dress up in Euro colours/dress simply to make a point. I don't and as I pointed out in the original post that somehow has been 'lost' I don't even like British style nights myself. It is not my kind of music or entertainment but I fully respect the rights of those who do enjoy such evenings. If you don't like such an evening simply don't go and leave it to those who do so, like I do. I get the feeling that the denigration of such 'entertainment' is typical of the trend to down cry everything about the UK. I hate this type of behavior; there is nothing wrong with being patriotic! Patriotism does not equal xenophobia. Lighten up those who do not like such evenings enjoy your cruise and leave those who enjoy such evenings to do so. I am going on my first Fred cruise this July only having seen such nights on P & O in the past. I will ignore the British night as I have in the past but would not presume to criticise those who do attend. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

When we were on Braemar in January (first FO cruise) we knew there would be a "British" night and I bought a thin scarf to wear and my husband had a blue & white striped shirt that he wore. The actual night was described as around Europe and there was a can,can for France and a few others (can't remember all) before reaching the British segment it only lasted for the usually 45 mins in the Neptune lounge and was fun!!  then we left and went to the Coral Lounge.  We have been on many P&O cruises and always found the GB sail away fun as well!! ..... "I will walk 500 miles" bring it on 😉 🙂

36 minutes ago, July morning said:

When we were on Braemar in January (first FO cruise) we knew there would be a "British" night and I bought a thin scarf to wear and my husband had a blue & white striped shirt that he wore. The actual night was described as around Europe and there was a can,can for France and a few others (can't remember all) before reaching the British segment it only lasted for the usually 45 mins in the Neptune lounge and was fun!!  then we left and went to the Coral Lounge.  We have been on many P&O cruises and always found the GB sail away fun as well!! ..... "I will walk 500 miles" bring it on 😉 🙂

What annoyed us was, OK, did not like the jingoistic so called 'entertainment' but what annoyed us more was that we could not get a seat for the show that was on afterwards, could have put up with the so called patriotic singing but the idea of timings for dinner sittings had gone out of the window. Would not stop us cruising with Fred's again as the ambiance on the ships is great. My one memory of British night was waiting for the lift, for the doors to open to reveal a load of guests in red waistcoats, thought I was in Butlins, OMG!

2 hours ago, JG6000 said:

What annoyed us was, OK, did not like the jingoistic so called 'entertainment' but what annoyed us more was that we could not get a seat for the show that was on afterwards, could have put up with the so called patriotic singing but the idea of timings for dinner sittings had gone out of the window. Would not stop us cruising with Fred's again as the ambiance on the ships is great. My one memory of British night was waiting for the lift, for the doors to open to reveal a load of guests in red waistcoats, thought I was in Butlins, OMG!

Yes but please, everyone to their own. On P & O the interminable quizzes were not to our liking nor were cookery demonstrations, bingo or karaoke. We liked the classical musicians, after dinner speakers and the shows some of which are no longer on the 'menu' so to speak but we don't complain. You go to what you enjoy and go to other areas of the ship when something that is not to your taste is on. I repeat there is nothing wrong with being patriotic and it is only in the eyes of the intolerant that call it xenophobic. There is entertainment all over the spectrum that some people like and some don't. The same goes for cruise ships. There is always somewhere else on the ship you can go. If I and many others can happily go elsewhere when bingo. karaoke etc. appears then why cant those who do not enjoy the 'British' night not do the same and remember from my original post I am not a fan of such evenings just a person who thinks that we should live and let live and allow those who do enjoy such evenings to do so. Why do so many people want to denigrate or 'do this country down' I'm sorry but I think it is pathetic!!! It is NOT jingoistic other than in the mind of the intolerant.

What I presume the problem that JG600 encountered was the change over from one show too another. Not been on the ship at the time it is hard to give true facts but this is what I think may have happened.  Usually on British Night there is a show at 8.00pm with flag waving and the usual patriotic song sung. At this time it enables those from early sitting to join in after their meal and those on second sitting before theirs.  Sometimes the show overruns so those on second sitting have not always left to go to dinner. In these instances it appears if there is not enough seats for the people on first sitting to see the ships show company which starts after the British Sing-a-long. 

I think you are probably right, most other evenings there was ballroom dancing before the show and though popular it was always possible to find a seat. On British Night there was no dancing and yes it looked like it was going to over run though we did not stay to find out! Pity as the show was a tribute to Queen and members of the troupe said it was their favourites of the cruise.

• 2 months later...

Just got off Braemar and I found that British Night was very easy to avoid! Most pax just wore something red with a bit of white and blue like a scarf, tie or jewellery, as I did. There were a couple of plonkers wearing full Union Jack dresses and trousers of course....but most people just laughed at them. I am a proud Brit but I do find this kind of “entertainment” very old fashioned and somewhat embarrassing I must say.

I didn’t go to the Rule Britannia Show so can’t say how crowded it was...but certainly there are not enough seats in The Neptune Lounge for any show performance. People were going up to 40 mins early in order to get a good seat for all the shows and our cruise wasn’t even full. One of the very few negatives I found on Braemar because I had such a great cruise on her. 

Just off budicca and the Brit night was a bit of fun. I bought a shirt and it will be worn if/when I go on another fred cruise. I spoke to many of the folk in Union Jacks and they just enjoyed the evening, having trawled the internet to get something cheap and suitable. The song singing was almost non-existent and no-one twisted anyboddies arm to go. We sat near the lounge and played cards, which we did most nights. Heard the entertainment but got on with something else in the boring bits.

I must say gernerally I think it is a great shame that if one has a Union Jack on a car or elsewhere, people put down to far right politics. But it is good to see our folk at international athletics wrapping themselves in the flagf when they win for Britain.

We should be proud of who we are, nothing to do with politics, just proud that the UK is worldclass in so many things. Even that has little to do with Fred Brit nights, they are for a bit of dressing up and fun. Some people can see racism, xenaphobia, sexism, homophobia in many things, a bit like the Fred magicians pulling a rabbit out of the hat, nothing there until they said the magic words.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a real dilemma on our forthcoming cruise we board on Halloween!!!! so will there be a Halloween theme, a Brexit theme? (oh we can only hope) or the British night???  Will be great fun to see vampires with union jack waistcoats!

At least now it is very easy to get a haul of cheap lightweight themed items for a bit of fun you might not indulge in in daily life via the internet.

Why on earth moan or have a dig at any themes or special entertainment on cruises (or at any camp or package tour for that matter)? it is perfectly achievable to miss it all, dine in the buffet and find a quiet corner.  Tour companies could save themselves a lot of grief and expense by laying on no entertainment whatsoever least it offends someone. Then there is gearing entertainment to 'old people' that frequent cruises?  Todays 'old people' have record collections with the Beatles, Stones, Who, Pink Floyd etc. Do we look in the mirror and see 70/80 or a 16 year old still? You are as old as you want to be.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sorry but all this complaining about the British Night is, in my opinion, typical of the snowflake society we seem to becoming.

If you know what it’s about then don’t go to it. 

Similar to if you don’t like a TV show switch it off.

How long before all the books in the Library are vetted in case some titles offend?

We don’t go to the British Nights as we don’t particularly enjoy them, but we don’t go to Lectures or Bingo or Diamond Sales or Ice sculpting ect ect, but I am sure I could be offended by them if I really really looked.

As many on here will know we Ballroom Dance, and many of the Dances have specific names, heaven forbid we are stopped dancing the Viennese Waltz in case it offends somebody.

Cruises are meant to be fun and just maybe everybody's idea of fun isn’t the same. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I think Fred must be reconsidering the British Nights, because I have just got details of formal nights etc on a 2 week cruise from Cairns to Bali, and it is stated that there are 2 formal nights and one 'Tropical' night. A much better idea in my opinion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Li-shan said:

I think Fred must be reconsidering the British Nights, because I have just got details of formal nights etc on a 2 week cruise from Cairns to Bali, and it is stated that there are 2 formal nights and one 'Tropical' night. A much better idea in my opinion.

We are on Boudicca in February (Authentic India) and we are down as having an Indian Night as well as the formals, but nothing else.  Hope we are not expected to dress up for that, but should be interesting as some of the crew are Indian.  Would be great if they don traditional clothes for that.