Awkward travel agent question

rcandkc

Just curious - how many of you have rebated your product? If you were a doctor, did you reduce your fee to your patients? If you were an engineer, did you reduce your price to your clients? Just wondering why you think it’s okay to demand that their travel agents rebate some of their earnings to you.

Just curious - how many of you have rebated your product? If you were a doctor, did you reduce your fee to your patients? If you were an engineer, did you reduce your price to your clients? Just wondering why you think it’s okay to demand that their travel agents rebate some of their earnings to you.

+1

(y)

I think it depends upon your definition of "earnings". For us, we research and make our own booking, and then communicate directly with Regent Air in order to deviate our flights. In addition we independently research and obtain our own travel insurance. We don't require any handholding (or haven't until now) and so we look at the transfer of our booking to an agency as somewhat of a "gift" to that travel agency. We are motivated to do so solely because of the rebate offered - otherwise we would not transfer the booking as we've had very good experiences booking and following up with Regent until now.

Edited by morneau

If you worked for a corporation or public sector you would ask for bids for a completion of a project. Would you take the first bid just because the bidder was your friend? Most likely you would not accept the highest bid either if everything else was equal.

As for medical drs, they accept the rate the insurance company negotiated, or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Little bit harsh not?

Do we all not want the best value we can get?

We all work hard....or have worked hard in the past to afford these wonderful adventures we are getting.

It seems like some people have maybe had "friends" in the industry and have gone along with their recommendations however they have had better offers that suits them more.

If the agents are getting a rebate of some sort then surely (to keep the clients sweet) they should pass on some of the royalties?

So....yes, in my opinion if you want to keep good clients then you should offer a % of the deal you have and make your paying customers feel like like they are getting a good deal....simple!

Pam.

If you worked for a corporation or public sector you would ask for bids for a completion of a project. Would you take the first bid just because the bidder was your friend? Most likely you would not accept the highest bid either if everything else was equal.

As for medical drs, they accept the rate the insurance company negotiated, or not.

Excellent point!

Alidor - your point is a new one and is encourages us to think (which I did). The only discounts we receive (from a dentist and veterinarian) is when we pay cash. I "get" that because they save money when patients pay cash. Regent fares are a bit too high to pay cash - especially when your TA is thousands of miles away.

morneau, I also get your point and agree somewhat that it is a "gift" to a TA (unless you were the type of person who drives TA's crazy -- our TA has suggested that some clients may be happier if they sent their business elsewhere). The main reason we use a TA (other than the rebate) is so they keep us appraised of changes made by Regent and also compares new offers to what customers currently have sometimes the "new" offers are not as good as what you already have booked!

There are also TA's out there that have "covert pricing". The pricing is great but you will not receive OBC's or a rebate (or any specials that Regent is offering).

TA's do what they need to do to keep customers and to stay in business. As long as they are honest and do not try to make you believe that they have more Regent experience than they really do (which apparently happened to a recent poster), they should be fine.

We really enjoy having our rebate show up two weeks prior to the cruise -- it feels like found money!

IF, you have no insurance a doctor will lower the price if you are paying cash and pharmacies as well. So that is not completely true and sometimes a better price from copayment. It works in the medical areas as well and you can always in the US negotiate hospital bills as well and save thousands.

So if you don’t know this you simply have to ask and medical facilities usually reduce the price and many times cheaper than insurance claims. My sister works for United Health Care and deals with this everyday.

So for a cruise you are paying cash one way or another.

Exactly, no different than having work done on your house or say seeing who is less expensive, Home Depot or Lowes and no different that a company that I don't think I can name that you give them a cruise you want to book and they then sends out that information and TA's bid for the business. Since most cruise lines have chosen to not allow TA's to "discount" cruises, the rebate in reality a discount based on the TA bidding for your business with the lowest price.

Worked in contracting for many years and we didn't always award contracts to the lower bidder. We analyzed the bids and the companies for items that were not off the shelf, we awarded to the "best value" and buying a cruise is not different award your business to the best value, dollars and service.

Excellent point!

Alidor - your point is a new one and is encourages us to think (which I did). The only discounts we receive (from a dentist and veterinarian) is when we pay cash. I "get" that because they save money when patients pay cash. Regent fares are a bit too high to pay cash - especially when your TA is thousands of miles away.

morneau, I also get your point and agree somewhat that it is a "gift" to a TA (unless you were the type of person who drives TA's crazy -- our TA has suggested that some clients may be happier if they sent their business elsewhere). The main reason we use a TA (other than the rebate) is so they keep us appraised of changes made by Regent and also compares new offers to what customers currently have sometimes the "new" offers are not as good as what you already have booked!

There are also TA's out there that have "covert pricing". The pricing is great but you will not receive OBC's or a rebate (or any specials that Regent is offering).

TA's do what they need to do to keep customers and to stay in business. As long as they are honest and do not try to make you believe that they have more Regent experience than they really do (which apparently happened to a recent poster), they should be fine.

We really enjoy having our rebate show up two weeks prior to the cruise -- it feels like found money!

We don’t need OBC so we will get a nice check in the mail as well depending on the cost of the cruise and some small OBC. Nothing we need to buy in the shops and if we do we will just charge it to our room. We have been loyal to our agency land and sea for twelve years and have spent mucho $$$$$.

Loyalty to any company is very important and you may have a little wiggle room as a provider of service and the customer is satisfied and most likely will refer friends and relatives. Business 101.

Edited by MalbecWine

We are just wondering how you (or anyone actually) make yourself comfortable with your agent being so far away? We prefer doing business like that face to face with a TA.

This is part of my issue too. I like the personal connection of face to face...even if not often.

With the internet, telephones, etc. see no reason for face to face. Unfortunately local TA's are small shops and don't provide the best service or best price. We're fine with a TA almost a thousand miles away as it saves us from having an appointment and having to go to other parts of town for face to face. I guess different strokes for different folks.

We are just wondering how you (or anyone actually) make yourself comfortable with your agent being so far away? We prefer doing business like that face to face with a TA.

Ours are literally tens of thousands of miles away and I have no issue communicating with them, without delay despite multiple time zones difference, usually by email but once in a while by phone (they have a local number setup in our country)

But the best thing is catching up with them on a cruise or when I’m in their city - great to be able to enjoy a meal and a drink with them

Ironically instead of us choosing them as agents because they were friends we’ve actually become friends over the years

Perhaps it a generational thing. I never saw the reason, nor had the time, to visit a travel agency. You can still develop a personal relationship with a T/A even though they are thousands of miles away. (mine is 1500 miles away). We have been using them for almost 20 years and receive superior service and have saved thousands of dollars as compared to other offers, even though we always receive comparative bids. It’s a business transaction and they always seem to give us the best deal. It also doesn’t hurt that he is a member of the Regent Council.

It may be a generational thing, but I'm honestly happier to deal with someone long distance by email (mostly) and occasionally by phone. It also makes it easier (for me) to be very upfront in asking about the rebate and other perks....if I were dealing with a friend or acquaintance I would be more hesitant.

That's funny - Focused1 we most have posted at the same time as we both mentioned the generational thing. For us, it's far more preferable to do business this way, but my parents would never book through a travel agent online....they prefer the brick and mortar and personal relationship.

No need anymore to be face to face as we get the brochures sent to us and the Internet works just fine as well as e-mail and phone contacts. The local agents are just mom and pop agents and have no knowledge of luxury travel. Our agent is 2500 miles away and we have met many of the agents on land and sea and get great service. No need to be face to face with them unless they are hosting something on your cruise or land vacation.

Perhaps it a generational thing. I never saw the reason, nor had the time, to visit a travel agency. You can still develop a personal relationship with a T/A even though they are thousands of miles away. (mine is 1500 miles away). We have been using them for almost 20 years and receive superior service and have saved thousands of dollars as compared to other offers, even though we always receive comparative bids. It’s a business transaction and they always seem to give us the best deal. It also doesn’t hurt that he is a member of the Regent Council.

Good point. Our agent is a member of the Regent Council as well as Crystal and Seabourn also on the board of advisors and Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton and also associated recently with Emirates. Clout does matter and also your wallet.

No mom and pop agents for us. You snooze you lose.

Good point. Our agent is a member of the Regent Council as well as Crystal and Seabourn also on the board of advisors and Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton and also associated recently with Emirates. Clout does matter and also your wallet.

No mom and pop agents for us. You snooze you lose.

Sounds like we might have the same T/A ..

That's funny - Focused1 we most have posted at the same time as we both mentioned the generational thing. For us, it's far more preferable to do business this way, but my parents would never book through a travel agent online....they prefer the brick and mortar and personal relationship.

Yes, looks like we posted the same sentiment at the same time!

I know you can’t name agents on this board, but can we find out through email, FB or some way? I’ve been dealing with the largest agency in my city, but I’m told they cannot give rebates. I have no idea how to find those who do.

I know you can’t name agents on this board, but can we find out through email, FB or some way? I’ve been dealing with the largest agency in my city, but I’m told they cannot give rebates. I have no idea how to find those who do.

We found our agent by going online and looking for agencies dealing with the line we were looking at, Regent. We then asked three different ones to give us a price on the cruise we wanted. We went with the one with the best deal and have had excellent service since.

We found our agent by going online and looking for agencies dealing with the line we were looking at, Regent. We then asked three different ones to give us a price on the cruise we wanted. We went with the one with the best deal and have had excellent service since.

Truly many great agents and agencies are out there. I’m not a member of FB but that might be a good start. Also talking with friends who cruise or fellow cruise passengers. Agents if they are sailing when you are are not allowed to solicit business. That being said, if you are introduced to an agent by a fellow passenger you are sailing with I think that does not violate any rules. You will find one.