3 night dining package

laumicmah

Going on 2nd RC cruise in Jan (Grandeur) and just booked the 3 night dining package. I selected night 1 at 6:30. I assume they assign us a place on the 1st night and then we set up the other 2. We would prefer Izumi the 1st night and then want to also try, both, Chops and the Italian place later in the cruise. Has anyone gotten Izumi/Sushi the 1st night or is it usually Chops/steakhouse? How was the package for you all? How are those 3 specialty restaurants on Grandeur? Also, it's a 9 nighter...what nights are the biggest duds in the MDR (where we'd do better going to the 2 other nights of our package)? Thanks for any and all info!

From what I've heard and read on this board, Izumi can be included and you'd get a set amount to spend on the a la carte items. I believe it's $30 or $35. If you go over that amount, then you pay the extra.

I have the 3 night dining package for my upcoming sailing as well so looking forward to using it for the first time. My first seating is the 2nd night.

6 minutes ago, Virtopia said:

From what I've heard and read on this board, Izumi can be included and you'd get a set amount to spend on the a la carte items. I believe it's $30 or $35. If you go over that amount, then you pay the extra.

I have the 3 night dining package for my upcoming sailing as well so looking forward to using it for the first time. My first seating is the 2nd night.

I think it says somewhere on RC's website that Izumi is included like you said (set amount). I too am excited to try. We just got off a Carnival cruise where we ate 4/8 nights in the pay extra places and REALLY enjoyed that. The food is way better than the MDR and buffet. 

Something to think about...On our first cruise, we wanted to try everything, so I booked the 3 night dining package to try all 3 specialty restaurants.  Upon further research, booking the BOGO, using it for Chops/Giovanni's, and then paying for Izumi separately, was cheaper than booking the 3 night.  It may be different for your sailing (we were on Rhapsody), but it saved us money that way.

As said Izumi you get a 35 dollar credit person which is plenty , i love doing izumi on first night it is seems always to be least crowded specialty , hot rocks are great , we try t do Izumi at least twice on all cruises if it’s on that ship. , normally no problem changing restaurants to the you want on first night if you want Izumi.

We are on the same sailing.  We have been on the Granduer 2 other times.  You should be able to change the 1st night if is is not your preference.  We have the 5 nt dining package and plan to visit Izumi twice , Giovannis & Chops and 1 of those 3 again.

The Izumi is included in the pkgs for $35 pp toward your bill.  We have neverhad to pay more, but do tip generously.

See you onboard!

8 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

We are on the same sailing.  We have been on the Granduer 2 other times.  You should be able to change the 1st night if is is not your preference.  We have the 5 nt dining package and plan to visit Izumi twice , Giovannis & Chops and 1 of those 3 again.

The Izumi is included in the pkgs for $35 pp toward your bill.  We have neverhad to pay more, but do tip generously.

See you onboard!

Yes, you can change things on the first night, and yes, it is $35.00 per person, where an 18% service charge is added when you book it.  I always also tip generously at 18%.  Just like a land based restaurant, I tip 18%.  It's 18% on the price paid, not the $35.00 limit. 

When tips were "included" in the price, and I did not know, because it was not transparent, then I may have tipped more, but now, when it says, clearly that I already paid the tip, I leave it at that amount. 

I have always assumed that they wait to find out which restaurants are fuller with actual (full price) bookings before they spread out the package folks out over the empty spots.  It would be nice if they allowed pkg folks to list their 1st night preference, but I guess that would complicate the selection.  I just hope the RCL IT folks don't get involved in the distribution for 1st/2nd selections.  I expect it might have all of us eating on shore.🤩

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have never cruised RCI before so just wondering, it says they will do a "courtesy" reservation for night 1 and 2 but we won't know until we board. 

I want to ensure we dine at the Chop at least once.  What are the odds they get us in there as a "courtesy"?  I suspect they will default you to the lower restaurants first.  I assume we can use the 3rd day anytime during the cruise so I hope we can get in at least one night.

Any guidance from prior experience is appreciated.

2 minutes ago, robptaylor said:

We have never cruised RCI before so just wondering, it says they will do a "courtesy" reservation for night 1 and 2 but we won't know until we board. 

I want to ensure we dine at the Chop at least once.  What are the odds they get us in there as a "courtesy"?  I suspect they will default you to the lower restaurants first.  I assume we can use the 3rd day anytime during the cruise so I hope we can get in at least one night.

Any guidance from prior experience is appreciated.

We’ve booked a dining package of one kind or another for our last 6 cruises and have never had an issue with switching our reservations once on board.  Just go early.  We head straight to a specialty restaurant right after boarding to make the changes.

Courtesy just means they'll pick a place for you.  As others have mentioned, we just head to one of the Specialty Restaurants right after boarding.  Any of them can see/manage all your reservations so if you're not happy with what's assigned it's very easy to make changes.  Definitely head there straight away to make sure you get the restaurant and time you'd like for each night as certain nights like formal nights do book up prime times pretty quickly.

8 hours ago, robptaylor said:

In the 3,4,5 day pkgs, the courtesy reservation is for night 1 or 2 , not 1 and 2.  The remaining nights can be any nights at most restaurants, you choose.

16 hours ago, iahawkfan21 said:

Definitely head there straight away to make sure you get the restaurant and time you'd like for each night as certain nights like formal nights do book up prime times pretty quickly.

I'm curious why formal nights would book up quicker? Aren't the Formal nights more popular in the MDR because they have better choices on the menu those nights?

Edited by wannalottadough

1 hour ago, mal123916 said:

On my next cruise I want to book the 3 night package twice. The pricing is better per nite than purchasing their other packages. Does anyone know if this is allowable?

Yes it can be done.  Select night 1 for the first 3 night package and select night 2 for the second.

7 hours ago, wannalottadough said:

I'm curious why formal nights would book up quicker? Aren't the Formal nights more popular in the MDR because they have better choices on the menu those nights?

People still don't realize that the dress suggestions are not enforced, so they think they need to avoid the MDR so they don't have to dress formally.

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

People still don't realize that the dress suggestions are not enforced, so they think they need to avoid the MDR so they don't have to dress formally.

Ahh got it. I didn't realize it was such a large population that doesn't like to dress up. I'm one of those, I would rather dress casually and be comfortable.

Th 3 night package is on sale...$60 instead of $75 so I cancelled and rebooked it today. I did 8:00 for the first night so that gives us time to see us go under the 2 bridges as well as get our luggage and dress nicer if we get Chops. So we'll go with whichever one we get. Also booked all my-time dinner nights except nights 7 and 9 as those are when we want to do our other 2 specialty places. And the internet, Voom, thing was also on a sale so I cancelled and rebooked that. We are all set now. Booked the swimming pig excursion at Cococay too. 

@PigsCanFly are you all set too? what are you doing in ports? it's an odd itin, IMO (DH chose this). I think we're just walking around on our own in ports. We will Uber to Disney from PC as we have annual passes there. What do you think weather will be like? Too chilly to swim?

Edited by laumicmah

On 10/17/2018 at 8:40 PM, cruisinfromtampa said:

Something to think about...On our first cruise, we wanted to try everything, so I booked the 3 night dining package to try all 3 specialty restaurants.  Upon further research, booking the BOGO, using it for Chops/Giovanni's, and then paying for Izumi separately, was cheaper than booking the 3 night.  It may be different for your sailing (we were on Rhapsody), but it saved us money that way.

I had the same idea but the 3 night package is on sale for my cruise. $60 for 3 nights so it works out the same.