Crazy to fly into PBI for a Miami cruise?

NoMoreRain

Five of us are heading cross country for a cruise out of Miami in January, cruise is Sunday to Sunday.

So far the least expensive flight option that also prevents us from having to scramble on the last day, is to fly into Palm Beach International on Thursday evening.  We'd rent a car then probably drive about half way to Miami.  Maybe spend the night in the Boca area and leisurely drive into Miami the next day and spend the night there Friday/Saturday.

On going home day we'd have time to drive back to be PBI and not be in a hurry.  We'd have the extra expense of a rental but then we wouldn't have to rely on Uber or shuttles and would have a place to store the luggage.  Plus it would let us do a little sightseeing.  Looks like the drive from PBI to Miami is about 1.5 hrs or less.

Thoughts?

I think that is a great idea.  Just realize that Boca isn't halfway to Miami - it is about 30 minutes south of PBI.  Then your drive will be about an hour to Port Miami.  For sightseeing on the drive from Boca to Miami check out the Fort Lauderdale/Broward County tourist website:  www.sunny.org.  For sightseeing around Boca, check out https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/cities/boca-raton.html#{"filter":"Things To Do","filterSelection":""}

I'll just echo the other posters.  It's not a bad drive at all.  It's only an hour and fifteen minutes or so PBI to PortMiami - straight highway.  I don't even see the point of trying to split that up in to multiple stops.  I'd just pick a hotel in Miami and drive down after you arrive and enjoy.  I drive up past PBI all the time and have lots of friends and family that commute from that area to Fort Lauderdale.  Nobody here views it as some long/crazy type drive.

I was just going to get a motel about halfway for two reasons:  I thought it might be cheaper to stay there a night rather than Miami and that we wouldn't get in to PBI until 6:30PM.   We don't have to worry about getting to Miami right away because we have two days to kill until boarding.

Thanks for the input, I think that's what we will do!

Like everyone else has said, not crazy at all. The airport experience is much smoother than fort Lauderdale or Miami, because it's smaller. Also, I live nearby PBI and we regularly cruise out of Miami, not a bad drive at all.

gotta save some of these posts!  FIRST time I've seen folks mention I-95 in Broward / Dade county as an easy drive!!!!'  Usually a zillion comments about taking the turnpike to stay OFF of 95.  My 2 cents: easy as in you won't get lost .... but unless comfortable in San Fran or LA traffic ... stand by! It can get 'interesting'.

and for hotel stops, I'd stay away from Boca ..... as compared to the surrounding area it IS the high rent district until you get into downtown Miami/Miami Beach proper .....

I still stand by just making the drive in one shot instead of stopping halfway.  It's not that long of a drive.  I'd rather just to get to my Miami hotel and not have to check in/pack twice.

Your plan is fine.

There are lots of places in southern Palm Beach/north Broward where you could stay Thurs. and Friday night on the beach then drive to Miami on Sat.  Or you could stay at one of those places and drive to Miami on Sunday morning.  There are lots of options.  Find something that looks good to you and go with it.

Someone above mentioned driving on I-95.  If you were going to drive to Miami on Friday I’d suggest doing so between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to avoid traffic.  Rush hour in South Fla. can be soul-crushing.  But if you go midday or on a weekend you’ll be fine.

The PBI airport is nice.  Not too big and easy access.

14 hours ago, Bkchero said:

Your plan is fine.

There are lots of places in southern Palm Beach/north Broward where you could stay Thurs. and Friday night on the beach then drive to Miami on Sat.  Or you could stay at one of those places and drive to Miami on Sunday morning.  There are lots of options.  Find something that looks good to you and go with it.

Someone above mentioned driving on I-95.  If you were going to drive to Miami on Friday I’d suggest doing so between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to avoid traffic.  Rush hour in South Fla. can be soul-crushing.  But if you go midday or on a weekend you’ll be fine.

The PBI airport is nice.  Not too big and easy access.

Great advice in regards to driving into Miami.  You can stretch it to 3:00.

Since you have the time to spare this what my husband and I did, stayed at Embassy Suites which had shuttle from airport and shuttle to the train station TriRail Train (I think we paid about $10 each for the train to MIA). There are restrooms on the train it was a nice ride. We got a hotel in MIA for one night and took the Uber from Train to Hotel and Uber from Hotel to cruise.

check out the triRail site for the correct pricing, very easy and you can take whatever you want on the Train

Another railway is the Brightline Train from West Palm Beach to Miami and stops only in Fort Lauderdale on the way to Miami. They even have Avis Rental Cars at the train stations. They run lots of specials. (www.gobrightline)

After our cruise in Miami, we are taking that train to West Palm Beach where my daughter and family live. We are renting a car right from the West Palm Beach train station. We will take Lyft or Uber from the Port to the train station.

The drive is easy. As someone else said though, don't go south on I-95 until after 10:00 a.m. 

You could easily do the drive straight to Miami after you arrive and traffic will be a breeze at that time. You likely may save some money staying somewhere else. But there is absolutely no reason to stay "half way" just stay somewhere you want to stay. But I would just go straight to wherever you are staying pre-cruise. 

If you were to drive south before 10AM, it would add 20 - 30 minutes to the drive.  It's not a disaster or anything.  Outside of a couple spots like parts of Doral during rush hour, "soul crushing" is not a word I would use for rush hour in Miami.  It's obviously a rush hour, but it's hardly something you have to avoid like the plague.