Private Message Option?

CM1984

POA1 - you may just be the person to help with this.  If I click on a CC Member's information, there is a little message box with an envelope icon.  I click and it does not allow me to send that member a message.  Is this just not available yet in the new features?  I would certainly like to use it for some Roll Call folks.  Thanks anyone that can help.

They have it disabled. The admins can message you - in which case you can message them back - but you cannot create your own private messages.  It was that way on the old site, probably to cut down on solicitations and other junk.

In the one and only roll call that I participated in, one of the people kept a spreadsheet (in Google docs, IIRC) with everyone's address.

7 minutes ago, POA1 said:

In the one and only roll call that I participated in, one of the people kept a spreadsheet (in Google docs, IIRC) with everyone's address.

Great idea - but that requires folks to give me their email address?  Or I throw mine out there, which would not be my first choice either.  Oh well.  Thanks POA1    Mimi

I think in the context of a roll call, people would be more inclined to share their email addresses with the individual who initiated the roll call. I ran a spreadsheet for our Norway cruise (just to keep track of who was from where). In the end I felt as if it wasn't worth the effort - the roll call was a dud and the agreed upon meet and greet ended up just being ourselves and one other couple. Maybe it's me?

11 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

I think in the context of a roll call, people would be more inclined to share their email addresses with the individual who initiated the roll call. I ran a spreadsheet for our Norway cruise (just to keep track of who was from where). In the end I felt as if it wasn't worth the effort - the roll call was a dud and the agreed upon meet and greet ended up just being ourselves and one other couple. Maybe it's me?

I am feeling it, too!  But I figure 10 people with free cookies is always a plus!  😉

I will leave that part alone.  Thanks.

14 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Maybe it's me?

Nah. It's not you. From my experience, the HAL clientele isn't into the Meet & Greet as much as the people who frequent other lines.  That's not to say that there aren't any active roll calls on HAL ships. There definitely are. They're just aren't as many.  We were on an NCL 7 day Western Caribbean last fall and their roll call had cabin tours, slot pulls, a meeting & reception and more. Naturally, being mostly-HAL cruisers, we didn't go. We have a reputation to uphold. :classic_wink:

When we sail with people we know from being on CC, we'll often meet up for a cocktail once we're on the ship, but that's about it. DW and I prefer to make friends in person. Organically. Often at bars. That's more of our wheelhouse.

Edited by POA1

26 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

Great idea - but that requires folks to give me their email address?  Or I throw mine out there, which would not be my first choice either.  Oh well.  Thanks POA1    Mimi

One solution is to create a new email address to be used solely for communicating with other members of your roll call, or with other CC members generally.

24 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

One solution is to create a new email address to be used solely for communicating with other members of your roll call, or with other CC members generally.

Or create an entire scientific research institution with its own domain, a website, some logos, and its own mail server.  Maybe some t-shirts and collectible postcards. On second thought, yours is probably easier.  Depending on your ISP, you may get some throw-away or anonymous email addresses. 

2018-12-15-01-CheerHQ-Card-sm.jpg.38f7cb89c98d2683f14e4e01c911f865.jpg

51 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Or create an entire scientific research institution with its own domain, a website, some logos, and its own mail server.  Maybe some t-shirts and collectible postcards. On second thought, yours is probably easier.  Depending on your ISP, you may get some throw-away or anonymous email addresses. 

2018-12-15-01-CheerHQ-Card-sm.jpg.38f7cb89c98d2683f14e4e01c911f865.jpg

Don't forget the "I am" name tags, dude! Very impotant :classic_laugh:

Only twice have I participated in or helped lead an active and fun Roll Call, complete with e-mail addresses, name tags, even small mementos from our states.  Fun, but a lot of hard work.  Resulted in some lasting friendships, though.

3 hours ago, grsnovi said:

As to sharing emails, I agree.  I only post the emails (a tad masked to prevent spam) on our spread sheet for the organizers of tours.  But my email is in my signature and I am happy to connect whomever wants to be (if they haven't already connected) with their permission of course. 😉

I hear you on the frustration of preparing a spread sheet that is not put to use by the roll call due to lack of activity.  I do tend to  create one as we often have a lot of tours, activities, pre and post cruise activities and it can be hard to keep everything straight.

So far, it's been worth the effort.  it does take time and it would be very disappointing if it wasn't used, indeed.

...but if there was a functional ability to send an individual a private message, I could politely ask the two folks squabbling on another active thread to take their on-going (three years now) discussion off-line :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, grsnovi said:

...but if there was a functional ability to send an individual a private message, I could politely ask the two folks squabbling on another active thread to take their on-going (three years now) discussion off-line :classic_unsure:

The Bells, the Bells.....................

It's very much like it was on the old site. The moderators can message you, but regular users can't message one another. I'm fine with that. 

I've been part of boards where messaging is enabled. You know what happens? People send private messages and then they post, "Hey, UserX, I sent you a message." 

If people want to be available, they put their email address on their signature or in a post. If someone wants privacy, they don't post their info. Seems fair to me. Then again, I'm on the fast track to crotchety old mandom. 

The roll call for my cruise next summer has been very helpful. I think there are 4 groups of us staying at the same hotel - we're all coming in 2-4 days early since it’s leaving internationallly. It will be nice to be able to meet up before the cruise and possibly share a ride to the terminal.