Jump to content
lilybug

Bringing wine on board

Recommended Posts

How many bottles is each passenger allowed to bring on board for consumption in cabin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's two bottles per stateroom.  Two bottles whether there is one, two, or more passengers in that room, it's not per passenger, it's per stateroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Q.

Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

A.

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, to add to above comments, wine is only allowed to be brought on board at embarkation, not at ports.  If you buy it at ports it will be held until you leave the ship. 

Edited by dkjretired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lilybug said:

How many bottles is each passenger allowed to bring on board for consumption in cabin?

Two 750ml bottles per stateroom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Also, to add to above comments, wine is only allowed to be brought on board at embarkation, not at ports.  If you buy it at ports it will be held until you leave the ship. 

When we do European cruises, they usually don't care. We have done winery tours and brought back 4 bottles of wine and they let us keep it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with most things Celebrity, it depends.  The policy is clearly stated above...2 750ml bottles of wine per cabin at embarkation...anything in excess or purchased at any port is stored for you and returned the last night for packing. 

 

However, the implementation of the policy varies widely.  We just completed a 14 night cruise where no one even scanned or asked what we had in our hand luggage when we boarded and they scanned at each port, but didn't question the bottle of wine I brought on at two of the ports.  Anything we carried-on just went with us to our cabin.  We have been on other cruises where they scan everything and if they see a bottle they follow the policy.  We have been on one cruise where they scanned my day bag at a port, saw a bottle of liquor, asked me to check it at the table against the wall...I said OK..picked up my bag and there was no table anywhere....so I just took it to my cabin.  Finally, if you are on B2B cruises, remember anything you "stored" with them during the first cruise is returned the last night of the first cruise, for packing...but since you are staying on the ship, you are now stuck with those bottles in your cabin for the second cruise.....darn!

 

I don't think the careful scans are confined to any geography...I've had vodka in my cabin from St Maartin, Grappa from Rome, etc.  I think it has more to do with shorter cruises with younger folks who might really misuse that alcohol....e.g. shorter cruises during spring break in the Caribbean.

 

Whatever happens on your cruise...just smile and go with the flow...expect the policy to be enforced and maybe be surprised.

 

 

Edited by ghstudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you bring 2 bottles on a 3 night cruise?  Does Celebrity charge a corking fee in the main dining room?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SeaPete said:

Can you bring 2 bottles on a 3 night cruise?  Does Celebrity charge a corking fee in the main dining room?

Yes and yes. Corkage fee is $25.00.  

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be sure to pack a wine corkscrew in your luggage, and don't plan to drink the wine in the dining room....hence, no corkage fee.  Also, if you have a beverage package, it won't really pay to bring wine aboard...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am more than a little concerned that you were able to board a ship without having your hand baggage scanned.   Surely this is a security violation of the highest order!!!   Good thing no one was bringing any bombs, handguns, knives, etc on board.   I would not feel safe on the ship after witnessing such a flagrant violation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am more than a little concerned that you were able to board a ship without having your hand baggage scanned.   Surely this is a security violation of the highest order!!!   Good thing no one was bringing any bombs, handguns, knives, etc on board.   I would not feel safe on the ship after witnessing such a flagrant violation.

No matter the cruise lines we've sailed with or the embarkation port we left from our carry-ons are always scanned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what cercumstance was being described about carry-ons not being scanned when initially boarding. My experience is the scanning on All our cruises at departure port was done in the port facilities and you then boarded. No scanning on the actual boarding because it had been done as you passed through the facility security. 

 

At ports of call, scanning was done onboard and done at every port. Yup, carried a few bottles that they didn’t take away, and checked into security more than a few that they did. So I don’t see this as a security issue. 

 

Den 

Edited by Denny01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DENIE said:

Be sure to pack a wine corkscrew in your luggage, and don't plan to drink the wine in the dining room....hence, no corkage fee.  Also, if you have a beverage package, it won't really pay to bring wine aboard...

 

We almost always have the prem bev package but almost always bring a couple bottles of wine.

 

It's nice to have in the room for impromptu sipping on the veranda or while getting ready for dinner & having it right there saves a trip to a bar since minibar items aren't included (though admittedly those extra steps are honestly a good idea 😏!) 

 

Another plus - having our own avoids the (fairly regular) mystery of never knowing what you're gonna get given the inconsistent wine offerings from bar to bar from day to day... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am more than a little concerned that you were able to board a ship without having your hand baggage scanned.   Surely this is a security violation of the highest order!!!   Good thing no one was bringing any bombs, handguns, knives, etc on board.   I would not feel safe on the ship after witnessing such a flagrant violation.

 

Dont fret...bags were scanned by port security at embarkation...not on the ship,  bags were also scanned at every port.  They just didn’t care if you had a bottle of wine/liquor.  Additionally passengers always passed through metal detectors.  No security risks...just a lack of concern about alcohol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't take on a corkscrew. Dangerous weapon!

 

Once again I apologize to all the folk behind me in Venice! I thought they meant I had a bottle of wine in my bag. Completely misunderstood. I had bought it as the one in our rented flat had broken and I am mean.

 

I picked it up from the Naughty Table on leaving holding up the people running to catch the train to Rome.

 

Oh how they laughed.

 

We bought wine in the duty free shop in Kusadasi between security and the ship. Allowed to keep it which we didn't expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mmsJack said:

 

We almost always have the prem bev package but almost always bring a couple bottles of wine.

 

It's nice to have in the room for impromptu sipping on the veranda or while getting ready for dinner & having it right there saves a trip to a bar since minibar items aren't included (though admittedly those extra steps are honestly a good idea 😏!) 

 

Another plus - having our own avoids the (fairly regular) mystery of never knowing what you're gonna get given the inconsistent wine offerings from bar to bar from day to day... 

 

We too will bring our two bottles on in order to enjoy a glass on our balcony!  Despite our next cruise only being 5 days, we won't have an issue finishing off a bottle each!

 

snow bunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, morbihan said:

Don't take on a corkscrew. Dangerous weapon!

 

Once again I apologize to all the folk behind me in Venice! I thought they meant I had a bottle of wine in my bag. Completely misunderstood. I had bought it as the one in our rented flat had broken and I am mean.

 

I picked it up from the Naughty Table on leaving holding up the people running to catch the train to Rome.

 

Oh how they laughed.

 

We bought wine in the duty free shop in Kusadasi between security and the ship. Allowed to keep it which we didn't expect.

Horrible advice and wrong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all. I was there.

 

I had a corkscrew in my bag and it was confiscated.

 

If it was in a suitcase not a bag, it might have got on but as I explained it was just in my bag after leaving our flat. It was not alone on the Naughty Table when we left either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, morbihan said:

Not at all. I was there.

 

I had a corkscrew in my bag and it was confiscated.

 

If it was in a suitcase not a bag, it might have got on but as I explained it was just in my bag after leaving our flat. It was not alone on the Naughty Table when we left either.

I'm sure there were others in the naughty room. But all for corkscrews? I doubt it. Did your corkscrew have a knife style foil cutter that is was over an inch long? I always have a corkscrew (and we no longer bring wine onboard) in our first aid kit which is packed in our checked luggage. It has a .25 inch knife style foil cuter on it. I never been called to the naughty room or has it ever been confiscated. A lot of posters on CC (including myself) even recommend taking your own corkscrew as the one provided by Celebrity (if you request one) suck. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always take a Swiss Army knife which has a corkscrew on it. Never had a problem getting it on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, morbihan said:

I had a corkscrew in my bag and it was confiscated.

 

 

I just purchased a corkscrew in Barcelona, put it in my day bag and carried it on to the ship...they scanned the bag....and didn't ask or say anything.

 

OTOH, just after 9/11, I was passing through LaGuardia airport and the security inspectors confiscated my gum massager....now there's a terribly dangerous weapon.....As I sat on the plane, the lady in front of me sat there knitting (think about those needles).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I’ve taken a corkscrew or a knife combination with one in it on pretty much every cruise of the 32+ I’ve taken and never had an issue.  Maybe it was a 1ft long corkscrew that popped out when you pressed a button-kind of like a switchblade????

 

Den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not in France at the moment or I would post a photo. If I could!

 

We were at the flat and the one there broke. I bought a perfectly normal everyday opener from the hardware shop in Venice. Bright green so I could find it again. Just an opener that you screw into the bottle then lift the arms to release the cork. Bog standard.

 

We went to start our cruise and I thought that the inspectors meant that I had a wine bottle in my bag which I strongly denied. I had to empty all my bag on the desk and they pounced on it. I never decided if it was because I was going to drill a hole in the bottom of the ship or skewer the captain.

 

I am trying to remember the year. 2015? Venice then around the Med and back to Civitavechia. Then we went back to Venice for another fortnight. Wasn't having another renter nicking my corkscrew which is why I took it in the first place😁.

 

As it is, it is a poignant reminder of happier days.

 

As for the knitting needles I always mention mine when taking the cross channel ferry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to mention that I expect if you have it in your suitcase it will no doubt get onboard.

 

It was just perhaps a new thing that day. After their experience with me they maybe decided the queue wasn't worth it. 

 

We did, of course, have a drinks package anyway. Now I take champagne as you don't need a corkscrew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, morbihan said:

Just to mention that I expect if you have it in your suitcase it will no doubt get onboard.

 

It was just perhaps a new thing that day. After their experience with me they maybe decided the queue wasn't worth it. 

 

We did, of course, have a drinks package anyway. Now I take champagne as you don't need a corkscrew.

Glad to read you now agree that taking a corkscrew aboard in checked luggage (suitcase) is perfectly acceptable and more importantly not consider a deadly weapon.  I would never carry a corkscrew in a carry-on at the air port security or at the cruise line embarkation security. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really seem to have a problem.

 

Did you read what I posted at all?

 

At all times I stated that the corkscrew was in my bag and not my luggage. I was stopped and it was taken away.

 

I also mentioned that it had been bought in Venice just days before embarkation so wasn't packed in our suitcase which went straight onboard.

 

Read the posts  before you make comments and accuse people of giving false information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps there was some confusion with the use of the term "bag" which you must be using for "purse" but which is commonly used to mean "suitcase".   There are handbags and carry-on bags, and they are quite different things 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the corkscrew was in a bag being carried on. The point is, many of us have taken a corkscrew on, in a suitcase or a carry-on with no problems.

 

either they are allowed and can be brought on via checked suitcase or in a carry on, or they aren’t and can’t be brought on via either method. It doesn’t matter. 

 

The confiscation noted  sounds like an isolated case, and probably an overreaction or mistake by a security person. 

 

Den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also have to remember that the security personnel are not employees of the cruise line -- they work for the port.  Each cruise line has its own rules.  For instance, some allow soft drinks to be brought on board, some don't.  It would be easy for a port employee to make a mistake with the specifics any cruise line instructs.  And with well over a dozen ports in use around the world by Celebrity, inconsistency is to be expected.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ghstudio said:

 

I just purchased a corkscrew in Barcelona, put it in my day bag and carried it on to the ship...they scanned the bag....and didn't ask or say anything.

 

OTOH, just after 9/11, I was passing through LaGuardia airport and the security inspectors confiscated my gum massager....now there's a terribly dangerous weapon.....As I sat on the plane, the lady in front of me sat there knitting (think about those needles).

 

About this same time we took a flight and my very small nail clippers with an attached nail file was confiscated. Then on comes a person with their bag of special golf clubs, too precious to be in checked baggage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, morbihan said:

You really seem to have a problem.

 

Did you read what I posted at all?

 

At all times I stated that the corkscrew was in my bag and not my luggage. I was stopped and it was taken away.

 

I also mentioned that it had been bought in Venice just days before embarkation so wasn't packed in our suitcase which went straight onboard.

 

Read the posts  before you make comments and accuse people of giving false information.

Settle down. Of course I read your posts. Glad you agree bringing a corkscrew in a suitcase is perfectly acceptable. But not acceptable in any type of carry on. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 5:45 PM, dkjretired said:

Also, to add to above comments, wine is only allowed to be brought on board at embarkation, not at ports.  If you buy it at ports it will be held until you leave the ship. 

Hi, I plan to bring two bottles of our favorite wine on board when we embark at Hong Kong next week. We both have birthdays whilst on board and this will be a surprise gift for my husband, so I don't want any fuss at embark. At the port, should I have the bottles in my carry-on or in my main luggage. I understand that all luggage will be scanned at some point, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. Any thoughts??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NauticalMiss said:

Hi, I plan to bring two bottles of our favorite wine on board when we embark at Hong Kong next week. We both have birthdays whilst on board and this will be a surprise gift for my husband, so I don't want any fuss at embark. At the port, should I have the bottles in my carry-on or in my main luggage. I understand that all luggage will be scanned at some point, but I don't want to spoil the surprise. Any thoughts??

I would pack the two 750 ml bottles of wine in the carry-on. Not so much for the surprise factor but not wanting to take the chance, inconvenience and wasted time of going to the naughty room. I believe you have to schlep you own suitcase to your stateroom from the naughty room. I have no experience with that.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On boarding day, IF there is a wine shop located nearby and you have cell phones, do this:

 

1st pax boards with 2 bottles of wine.  If no one keeps count, signal second pax to buy another 2 bottles and bring it onboard.

 

Looks like how concerned X is about booze brought on board may depend on how many people have already bought booze packages.  Management hasn't gotten around to wringing every cent out, yet....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 3:57 PM, davekathy said:

I would pack the two 750 ml bottles of wine in the carry-on. Not so much for the surprise factor but not wanting to take the chance, inconvenience and wasted time of going to the naughty room. I believe you have to schlep you own suitcase to your stateroom from the naughty room. I have no experience with that.   

Thanks davekathy, I thought maybe that would be best. I'll take them in my carry-on bag and hopefully hubby won't realise. We have a drinks package, and I know most people would say not to bother taking stuff on board, but this wine is a particular favourite and he won't be expecting it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 6:09 PM, cruising cockroach said:

On boarding day, IF there is a wine shop located nearby and you have cell phones, do this:

 

1st pax boards with 2 bottles of wine.  If no one keeps count, signal second pax to buy another 2 bottles and bring it onboard.

 

Looks like how concerned X is about booze brought on board may depend on how many people have already bought booze packages.  Management hasn't gotten around to wringing every cent out, yet....

Thanks for the tip but I don't think my nerves could stand that level of 'subterfuge'. :classic_wink: 

 

We have a drinks package, so I just need to know that I can take the two special ones on board without having to visit the 'naughty room'.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 1:09 PM, cruising cockroach said:

Looks like how concerned X is about booze brought on board may depend on how many people have already bought booze packages.  Management hasn't gotten around to wringing every cent out, yet....

 

No, it's unrelated.....we just completed a TA where no one had a drink package perk and they apparently didn't care if you brought wine or any other alcohol on board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Victory Cruise Lines Sweepstakes - Enter now for a chance to win a free 9-night cruise on Victory II
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2018
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×