Not the cruise line you want to cruise with

Sdockendorf

18 minutes ago, 2+2 said:

All he stated was that Royal Caribbean  treated  him  better  than  NCL.  Now I hope they can fight this cancer together, and enjoy another cruise next year, when life will be back to normal .  And it will. Don't  worry  about  the  little  stuff .  Next year's cruise  will  be  even  better . 

Sounds like Royal Caribbeans final payment date was 90 days out and NCL's was 120 days out and he cancelled somewhere in between those 2 dates.   I'm betting if he had been inside Royal Caribbeans final payment date he would have been treated the same way by them as he was on NCL.

• Like 7

That’s the difference between a caring relationship with customers, RCL go the mile, NCL no compassion?

Wait to Virgin Voyages comes on the scene, that will be customer care, Richard Branson would probably send flowers with full refund?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trimone said:

That’s the difference between a caring relationship with customers, RCL go the mile, NCL no compassion?

Wait to Virgin Voyages comes on the scene, that will be customer care, Richard Branson would probably send flowers with full refund?

Obvious you didn't read post #97 where the poster said:  Royal only refunded the taxes and excursions, specialty dining., so I guess RCI is not as caring as you thought.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

Obvious you didn't read post #97 where the poster said:  Royal only refunded the taxes and excursions, specialty dining., so I guess RCI is not as caring as you thought.

Just what did NCL refund? Nil

If no one bought insurance and expected their money back every time a crisis came up and the companies did it....no one would buy insurance and the cruise companies would constantly be giving people their money back.  You can't run a business like that.  People have to take responsibility for their own decisions.  In this case, to not buy insurance.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Just what did NCL refund? Nil

Oh, come you know full well that NCL will refund any excursions pre-purchased, dining pre-purchase, DSC if pre-paid, etc.  They always have and I seriously doubt that the OP will be any different.  BTW, the OP said he didn't ask for any refund, maybe he should have asked about anything pre-purchased..

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 10:26 AM, brookie848 said:

Most of the other carriers (not all) don't offer insurance when you purchase their services. I've never been offered it on a hotel or airline ticket. The only places we've been offered insurance by the vendor is a cruise and when we rent a condo at the beach.

So if they don't offer insurance, it is less likely that they will stick to their policies since the consumer was offered nothing to fall back upon. NCL does offer this service. If you choose not to take it, you are self-insuring and indicating that you are willing to take that risk. It is really quite simple.

What a surprise it was to me that American gave me the insurance option when I booked my round-trip Dallas-Charleston-Dallas in first class.  A little voice spoke to me.  I took it.  Next thing you know here came Hurricane Florence.  A small investment for peace of mind.  

I just want to put it out there to all of the posts saying that in order to run a business you have to act like heartless, add the noun. NCL could have, should have allowed us credit for at least part of the cost. They offered nothing after repeated attempts. I will bet that our room is booked on that cruise. Anyone want to take me up on it? There is enough Cruise Critic people to let us all know whether this is the case.  For those of you saying we should have bought the insurance, I say Delta, full refund, Barcelo Hotels full refund, Marriott Hotels full refund and Royal Caribbean we had pay like $200 and that cruise was a week later than NCL. Maybe NCL should join the rest of the hospitality industry and do away with their archaic customer service. It's everyones choice who to do business with and I know where my loyalties will lie in the future.

5 minutes ago, Sdockendorf said:

............ It's everyones choice who to do business with and I know where my loyalties will lie in the future.

True.  Just don't make the same mistake again by not having insurance coverage.   I wish your wife a speedy recovery and a healthy life.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sdockendorf said:

For those of you saying we should have bought the insurance, I say Delta, full refund,

Wow, I'm surprised because when I had to cancel due to surgery, Delta gave me a credit for a future flight, but I still had to pay the change fee of $200 when I booked the new flight.  Do you live in the US, because if not there are different policies for other countries; for example, in some countires outside the US if you cancel before final payment, you don't get your refund back, where in the US you do.

BTW, most hotels refund your deposit/payment if you cancel the day of or a couple days in advance.

Also, I guess Royal Caribbean is heartless, because they didn't refund another poster anything but the things they pre-paid, including taxes, etc.  (see post #97).  I also cruise on Celebrity (owned by RCI) and over the years there has been many posts of people complaining that they had to cancel and didn't get any money back.  I guess it depends on how long before the cruise you cancel and their policies.

Edited by NLH Arizona

34 minutes ago, Sdockendorf said:

I just want to put it out there to all of the posts saying that in order to run a business you have to act like heartless, add the noun. NCL could have, should have allowed us credit for at least part of the cost. They offered nothing after repeated attempts. I will bet that our room is booked on that cruise. Anyone want to take me up on it? There is enough Cruise Critic people to let us all know whether this is the case.  For those of you saying we should have bought the insurance, I say Delta, full refund, Barcelo Hotels full refund, Marriott Hotels full refund and Royal Caribbean we had pay like $200 and that cruise was a week later than NCL. Maybe NCL should join the rest of the hospitality industry and do away with their archaic customer service. It's everyones choice who to do business with and I know where my loyalties will lie in the future.

Wow. Just WHY should NCL have allowed you credit? Did they fail to live up to any part of their agreement with you? What wrong thing did they do?

Archaic customer service? How so? Because they did not capitulate to "repeated attempts" and give you money you weren't entitled to? 

This whole episode seems very, very familiar somehow . . .

1000w

1 hour ago, DMH15 said:

What a surprise it was to me that American gave me the insurance option when I booked my round-trip Dallas-Charleston-Dallas in first class.  A little voice spoke to me.  I took it.  Next thing you know here came Hurricane Florence.  A small investment for peace of mind.  

what was the percentage of the insurance in relation to your ticket, also fyi (for your future travel) with bad weather airlines always let you rebook for free about 3 days either way.

17 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Wow. Just WHY should NCL have allowed you credit? Did they fail to live up to any part of their agreement with you? What wrong thing did they do?

Archaic customer service? How so? Because they did not capitulate to "repeated attempts" and give you money you weren't entitled to? 

This whole episode seems very, very familiar somehow . . .

1000w

Wow, that’s deep.

3 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

4 minutes ago, phoenix1181 said:

Why do you believe you deserve something that I paid for but you didn't?  What makes you more deserving than I am?  NCL did what they should have.  Get over yourself.

I used to deal with this a lot working in retail- it doesn't matter if the customer is wrong. If you deny them certain things, they will never shop there again, and they will try to tell their friends and family never to shop there again. Over their lifetime, that is going to be a significant amount in comparison to the small amount sacrificed to give them their way. 

In the OP's situation, they will never take another NCL cruise again. How many thousands of dollars will that cost NCL instead of a refund? AND NCL may be able to resell the cabin to someone else.

OP, take to social media. Hit them at Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc; try to get your story viral. Companies to not like negative social media attention and may listen more. 

6 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

post #97 is not from the OP - it is someone else telling about their last minute cancel due to a death.

I believe that the OP cancelled before final payment with RCL and after with NCL - hard to say because he said they were B2B but there was also an All Inclusive resort stay in the mix as well - all in Dec-Jan time frame. Assuming that the NCL cruise was first he would have been just inside the final payment and should have been entitled to 75% of the cruise cost as well as any port taxes and fees as well as any other pre-paid items such as the fees for the UDP/ and UBP if he had them.

This should have been automatic with the cancel -  unless he waited until 30 days prior to the cruise then he would have lost all of the cruise fare.

RCL has a 90 day pre cruise payment - so maybe he was only out the deposit - which would have been refunded.

I cancelled a cruise with NCL well before the final payment date and got back all of my deposits within a billing cycle of my CC.

Perhaps the OP has not waited long enough - or did not go through the proper channels to cancel they cruise - I guess that is where a good TA comes in. 

5 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

And there we go.  When you have no valid point to support you side of a debate stoop to pity, emotion, and ad hominem attacks.  NCL COULD HAVE let everyone on teh cruise sial for free, they COULD HAVE dropped teh port fees and taxes for everyone, they  COULD HAVE given every free unlimited specialty dining.  They also COULD HAVE goen by teh contarct that both parties agreed to and that the passenger agreed to by choosing not to get insurance.

39 minutes ago, matt151617 said:

I used to deal with this a lot working in retail- it doesn't matter if the customer is wrong. If you deny them certain things, they will never shop there again, and they will try to tell their friends and family never to shop there again. Over their lifetime, that is going to be a significant amount in comparison to the small amount sacrificed to give them their way. 

In the OP's situation, they will never take another NCL cruise again. How many thousands of dollars will that cost NCL instead of a refund? AND NCL may be able to resell the cabin to someone else.

OP, take to social media. Hit them at Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc; try to get your story viral. Companies to not like negative social media attention and may listen more. 

Probably very few.  On the oterh nad they keep passengers who know that a pity fee will not be added to their future cruises.

40 minutes ago, matt151617 said:

Thuggery and strong arming a company to get something that you do not deserve.  Yeah that's the way of the generation of "All about me", "screw personal responsibility", "someone else needs to make my poor choices go away".  I hope you are not raising any kids that way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

Did you in fact CANCEL the cruise - in those words. If you asked for credit for a future cruise then that is outside of the policy and may have been outside the realm of whomever you were talking with. We all presumed that you had made the final payment on the cruise and that you are in the USA. Their cancellation policy says they will refund 75% of whatever you have paid towards the cruise and all port fees and taxes along with anything you have prepaid for. I have not cancelled after payment, but when I had to cancel before payment it took NCL about a month to process my credit card refund.

You are probably right that they have resold your cabin - again presuming you actually cancelled it.

This is where a good TA would be nice to have in your court.

I hope you have documented your many conversations with NCL.

Good Luck and next time you should consider insurance.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bill0021 said:

My rational is this, insurance is about 8-10% of the cruise cost, so if we do not have to cancel for insurable reasons on less than 10% of our trips, which is our case, it is a gamble I am willing to take.  Of course if we were to book much in advance on a big one like a 30 day suite cruise, I would take the travel insurance.  CC Insurance has a max limited.

I think that's the right calculation. If you can afford to self-insure you are likely to save money on trip cancellation. I do buy travel medical insurance every time we travel out of the country because our medical insurance doesn't cover us abroad, and medical costs can quickly eat up a huge chunk of our non-retirement savings. So I insure against that risk. But for domestic trips, like to Disneyworld, I just "self-insure" since my health insurance covers me there.