Formal Nights

travellovers2

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Many men were suits or sports jackets on chic night- supposed to be cocktail attire- what you might expect to wear to a country club function.  

My husband always wears a sports jacket.

Here is the verbiage from X website.

Evening Chic is the night you wear your holiday best. There is one Evening Chic night on cruises of up to 6 nights and two on cruises of 7 nights or longer. For the ladies, it’s time for your cocktail dress, or a skirt, trousers or smart jeans with an elegant top. For the gentlemen, it’s trousers or smart jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater with an optional jacket or blaze

Edited by CEOofVacation
  • Like 1

Having been on a few Celebrity cruises since this new policy was enacted, many men still dress up- again it is optional, but many men wear suits and sports jackets-  We are going on a Celebrity cruise, the edge in a few weeks, a new years cruise and you can be sure many ladies and men will be dressed up.

18 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Even if there is an Evening Chic night (which replaced formal) a suit isn't necessary, nor is a jacket or tie. Your DH may wear them if he wants to, but they aren't required under the new guidelines.

Odd answer to the actual question raised by the OP!

Edited by Esprit
typo

13 hours ago, CEOofVacation said:

Here is the verbiage from X website.

Evening Chic is the night you wear your holiday best. There is one Evening Chic night on cruises of up to 6 nights and two on cruises of 7 nights or longer. For the ladies, it’s time for your cocktail dress, or a skirt, trousers or smart jeans with an elegant top. For the gentlemen, it’s trousers or smart jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater with an optional jacket or blaze

Thank you everyone. This pretty much clears it up that there will be one " formal" night or whatever they want to call it nowadays.

Definition of chic: stylishness and elegance, typically of a specified kind .... Sounds formal to me! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

"Smart jeans" (whatever that means) doesn't sound formal to me.

I think Celebrity has used a ‘smart’ word choice to appeal to a younger crowd. 

For many younger folks with enough disposable income to travel, dressing in a suit and tie or high heels doesn’t equate with a relaxing holiday. 

I love that people have the freedom to decide: dress in a tux and sequinned gown if you choose....or dress in chinos and Jeans  if that’s how you want to spend your vacation. 

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

The OP asks a simply question about the existence of a formal night and the thread turns into what can and can't be worn. Unbelievable:classic_rolleyes:

I guess that it would make sense that if the OP had the misinformation of a "formal night" that people would give suggestions of what could or couldn't be worn. 

And it is not "elegant night" either (that's Carnival).  It is exactly as it has been stated by Celebrity for many years: Chic, which means different things to different people.  To us, it means something out of the ordinary, maybe classy, maybe even edgy.  Suits and sport coats (and especially tuxedos/dinner jackets) fit nowhere in that definition for us. To others, that is precisely what it means.

That's the beauty of the =X= dress code.  And exactly why they did it.  People can fit in without feeling constrained by what many feel is a attachment to formal wear that is far beyond passe.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 6:04 AM, cruisestitch said:

ON a four night cruise there might be one "elegant" night but it is up to the Captain's discretion if there will be one at all.

Oh, eleGant night! No wonder they all laughed at me when I showed up in big ears and a trunk.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Esprit said:

The OP asks a simply question about the existence of a formal night and the thread turns into what can and can't be worn. Unbelievable:classic_rolleyes:

OP said 'thank you' for all the information.  So what's your problem [on a thread that isn't your own anyway] :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

"Smart jeans" (whatever that means) doesn't sound formal to me.

Exactly the point, it's no longer a formal night. And the answer to OP's original question is, yes, 1.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 1

The ensuing discussion was an explanation to the OP who asked about formal nights on X. There are none, however there are nights that are classified as Evening Chic which are decidedly different than the Smart Casual nights that make up the rest of the nights and an explanation of what that means. I think people were simply trying to be helpful, and not trying to dictate what  fashion choices should be.