RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

5 hours ago, Nabalab said:

Just got Royal'd Up for Wonder this Friday 3/11.  D2 (OV Balcony) to JS. 

As of last night, everything I bid on (JS, GS, OS) was still pending and able to be modified. 

When I won a JS bid in the Fall, the JS was pending (with no option to modify) for a few weeks.

Curious to know if JS were showing available or not before you won?

13 minutes ago, sford75 said:

Curious to know if JS were showing available or not before you won?

Yes.  Last week there were about 30 available.  Last night, about 10 available.  Now 1 available.

Assigned a J4 on Deck 14.  Saw two still available afterwards; one that was on Deck 7, which we would have rather had because it's one flight up to Central Park / one flight down to the Boardwalk.

Booked with Royal... so I figured I'd have nothing to lose by calling to switch - even though they say Royal Up'd cabins are final.  

Usually when changing within the same category, it's an easy switch.  But he was showing a price difference.  I was put on hold, but 10-15 min later.... fixed and all good.  Got the updated invoice immediately, along with docs a few hours later - to print out luggage tags.

Edited by Nabalab
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mom2miracles said:

This may have been asked, but I wasn’t scrolling through 7+ thousands replies. LOL! Is there a cutoff for when you can bid? We are boarding in six days and every time I have looked at Royal Up it just keeps telling me to ensure my cruise is within a 30 day window. Um, yup, go that covered. 

That happened to me on one of our March cruises. I looked at my docs and there was a mistake on my last name! After getting that corrected I got my royal up bid. And our extended family had several cabins on Allure in August. All but my daughter could bid up. Later realized she had registered uner married name but her c&a still showed her maiden name. So dbl check that both tou C&A and name is correct. Or maybe try under your cabin mates name if different than yours.

Slightly off topic…. Is a crown loft suite more desirable(or higher category) than an owners suite? We are booked in a grand suite with 2 kids. Happy with the location on deck 8. I put in minimum bids for everything available, except slightly higher on owners suite. My thinking was that owners suite would be more desirable because of slightly more space and larger balcony. I’ll be happy to get any upgrade for cheap, but which one should I be rooting for? This will be our first suite experience regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Dan83 said:

Slightly off topic…. Is a crown loft suite more desirable(or higher category) than an owners suite? We are booked in a grand suite with 2 kids. Happy with the location on deck 8. I put in minimum bids for everything available, except slightly higher on owners suite. My thinking was that owners suite would be more desirable because of slightly more space and larger balcony. I’ll be happy to get any upgrade for cheap, but which one should I be rooting for? This will be our first suite experience regardless. 

Some CLS on oasis class ships overlook the back of the ship and aren’t traditional ocean view. Definitely be sure you’re okay with that - we haven’t bid on CLS for that reason. 

1 minute ago, CityChickCruising said:

Some CLS on oasis class ships overlook the back of the ship and aren’t traditional ocean view. Definitely be sure you’re okay with that - we haven’t bid on CLS for that reason. 

In that situation, I’d definitely prefer the owners suite. However, I think I’d still take that as a cheap upgrade from grand suite. Having more space is important for us with 2 kids in the room.  I’ll leave my bids alone. Thanks for the info. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dan83 said:

In that situation, I’d definitely prefer the owners suite. However, I think I’d still take that as a cheap upgrade from grand suite. Having more space is important for us with 2 kids in the room.  I’ll leave my bids alone. Thanks for the info. 

Good luck!!

14 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

We had an ocean facing CLS on Oasis and we still heard the music from the pool deck while on the balcony.  It is two floors and two separate bathrooms which is nice if you’re traveling with kids. Not sure of the kids ages and how you feel about them being on a separate floor. For just the two of us,  I much preferred the GS we had the next time. 

Edited by RosieRoo

11 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

We had an ocean facing CLS on Oasis and we still heard the music from the pool deck while on the balcony.  It is two floors and two separate bathrooms which is nice if you’re traveling with kids. Not sure of the kids ages and how you feel about them being on a separate floor. For just the two of us,  I much preferred the GS we had the next time. 

Think you meant to quote @Dan83

In general, although not always, the Owner's Suite is more expensive than the Crown Loft Suite (but the price difference is generally not that much).  The OS has more square footage but the CLS has location, location, location (deck 17).  The CLS also has the WOW factor of the 2-story windows.

Personally, we prefer the OS b/c I don't like the hassle of the stairs with the CLS and the CLS seems small to me...but Deck 17 is very nice...no argument on that.

47 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

The cls has two full bathrooms.  And the bedroom is a huge loft. The living room has a sleeper.  So much better then an owners suite.  Not option on non oasis class ships. I also like the cls that are oceanview.  If you have an option book a cls

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

In general, although not always, the Owner's Suite is more expensive than the Crown Loft Suite (but the price difference is generally not that much).  The OS has more square footage but the CLS has location, location, location (deck 17).  The CLS also has the WOW factor of the 2-story windows.

Personally, we prefer the OS b/c I don't like the hassle of the stairs with the CLS and the CLS seems small to me...but Deck 17 is very nice...no argument on that.

The elevator goes directly to deck 17 which is the level for the CLS and suite lounge and restaurant.  The suite is larger then the owners suite.  The high ceilings and view to die for!  If you are unable to climb stairs not for you.  However, I believe one cls has a chair type elevator 

We are on the Allure April 10 sailing in a CLS.  We got invited to bid in early February like 60 days out which was odd.  Another thing I thought was odd is that as we are currently in a CLS and OS and GS tend to cost more up front I figured those would be in my list of possible upgrades but they are not.  We were offered to bid on a 1 bedroom Aquatheater which I would consider a downgrade from deck 17 CLS, a 2 bedroom Aqua, Owner's Pano and Grand Pano, Royal Loft and Star Loft suites.  This cruise was originally a May 2020 3-year wedding anniversary trip for my husband and I and now it's our 5-year wedding anniversary trip thanks to covid😂 Our first RCCL cruise and likely the very only trip without our kids (3 toddlers) until we are very old and gray so we had to make it special with a suite😆

• Like 3

Ok, so I'm sure this has been asked and answered, and I have scrolled and scrolled, but with Covid, things constantly changing, the unpredictable nature of Royal, the fact that we haven't bid on anything in 2 years and well.....285 pages....I gave up. 

Question- are all the stateroom options in the Bid up available? What if they are not showing when doing a mock booking? Does this mean that they are in fact, already booked? 

As always, thanks Royal Hive Mind!

31 minutes ago, Cruisinmomma13 said:

Ok, so I'm sure this has been asked and answered, and I have scrolled and scrolled, but with Covid, things constantly changing, the unpredictable nature of Royal, the fact that we haven't bid on anything in 2 years and well.....285 pages....I gave up. 

Question- are all the stateroom options in the Bid up available? What if they are not showing when doing a mock booking? Does this mean that they are in fact, already booked? 

For the Royal Up I won today, I only had the option up to balcony from interior.  This included regular ocean view, spacious ocean view, panoramic ocean view...but nothing higher up than balcony available to me.  The cruise before this I was in a balcony and had multiple types of suites offered. So it does depend on what you started with, as far as how far up they allow you to potentially go.  During my bid process most categories showed sold out for a time, but then a few rooms opened later.  With some (ever shrinking) limits still put on capacity and the reshuffling of Royal Up itself, I wouldn't say that 'sold out' categories 100% rule out Royal Ups into that category. YMMV.

Edited by aphrodite6528
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cruisinmomma13 said:

Sold out categories are listed.  After all, somebody could cancel at any time, so a vacancy could occur in any category, especially with CWC and health/covid questionnaire.  Furthermore, there can be a ladder effect due to RoyalUp….for example, a nicer suite is won by somebody already in  a suite, their suite is won by somebody in a JS, the JS is won by somebody in a balcony, etc.  Furthermore, the bids, even on sold out categories, provide some free marketing info to the company.

• Like 1

I can bid on spacious balcony, $100 x 2, JS, 150, grand suite 1 bed, 160, grand suite 2 bedroom, 175.

Liberty march 27. Only spacious balconys and JS shows as bookable. Must be over 50 spacious balconys still open. How many people bid typically? Seems like any bid you submit you will win with so many not booked. One girl already won, bid of 220, already been moved. We will see if I win something. My guess is spacious balcony is a shoo in. Every bid is a winner? Even minimum. We will find out.

For me I don't see a JS is much better than spacious balcony since you dont get the loyalty pts and I dont take a bath, only showers. Both have 65 sf. Balconys. On liberty no suite perks other than boarding. 

I have a corner aft the week before so no bid. Have to move anyway. 

Newbie question on RoyalUp, my wife is a first time cruiser and does suffer from seasickness, as a precaution we have booked a Level 2 Midship Oceanview room trying to minimise rocking etc. 

Would bidding on a RoyalUp upgrade be a worthwhile thing to do, or are we likely to end up in a location other than Midship?  Being Midship is making her feel more positive towards the cruise, rather than being worried about seasickness

2 minutes ago, Idareu1970 said:

Would bidding on a RoyalUp upgrade be a worthwhile thing to do, or are we likely to end up in a location other than Midship?  

Welcome to CC.

The cabin assignment could be anywhere the category has availability.

Edited by Biker19

32 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

The cabin assignment could be anywhere the category has availability.

Thanks, that’s what I had figured.  If you are successful in winning do you get to find out where the room would be?  If it wasn’t suitable can you then decline?

1 minute ago, Idareu1970 said:

If you are successful in winning do you get to find out where the room would be?  

If it wasn’t suitable can you then decline?

Yes.

No, but if another one in the exact category is available, you might be able to move.

Edited by Biker19

Has anyone ever noticed that your entire sailing disappears from the search at any point?  My April 10 sailing is no longer listed when I search for cruises.  Is it because we are just about 30 days out now and they are dealing with any non payments and such?