RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

25 minutes ago, balkor2 said:

Valid statements. 
I assumed (yes it applies here LOL) that we were all on the same page as in the Royal Up would be the same for all. Meaning Min bid JS being X would be the same for all people. 
In truth don't know 😞

I am fairly certain the minimum bids are quite different depending upon the starting category.  Furthermore, one is able to bid on different categories depending on their starting category.  Now that I think about it, Are inside cabin occupants offered the chance to bid up 3 meta categories…I thought it was two? Edit…I see Biker entered info about insides generally not able to bid on JS while I was typing 

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I am fairly certain the minimum bids are quite different depending upon the starting category.  Furthermore, one is able to bid on different categories depending on their starting category.  Now that I think about it, Are inside cabin occupants offered the chance to bid up 3 meta categories…I thought it was two? Edit…I see Biker entered info about insides generally not able to bid on JS while I was typing 

When the 50% off sale was going on, I was able to bid on cabins all the way up from an OV balcony.  I had two cabins booked, one OV balcony and one Neighborhood balcony and my minimum bids were different. I upgraded one to a JS and yes my minimum bid offers changed, but now I can only bid up 3 categories.

4 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

When the 50% off sale was going on, I was able to bid on cabins all the way up from an OV balcony.  I had two cabins booked, one OV balcony and one Neighborhood balcony and my minimum bids were different. I upgraded one to a JS and yes my minimum bid offers changed, but now I can only bid up 3 categories.

Correction: I can still bid all the way to a RLS with both of my reservations, so that did not change when the sale ended.

1 hour ago, Vera/Lee said:

Correction: I can still bid all the way to a RLS with both of my reservations, so that did not change when the sale ended.

I am delight to hear that you are able to bid on full suites from both your neighborhood balcony as well as your OV balcony.  I hope it is a long term pattern.  Starting from neighborhood balcony cabins in December and February, I was only offered OV balconies and JS.  Though I know they don’t suit everyone, we enjoy the neighborhood balconies.  We are only lukewarm bidding on OV balconies or JS, submitting weak or no bids for those.  OTOH, we’d often be inclined to submit much stronger bids on full suites if they offer us that option.  

5 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Starting from neighborhood balcony cabins in December and February, I was only offered OV balconies and JS. 

That's what we had too, back in September on Harmony. We didn't think the extra real estate and a shot at CK were worth the minimum bid of $300 pp so we passed.

15 hours ago, Biker19 said:

First of all, someone in an inside wouldn't normally get to bid on a JS (there's usually a two major category limit you could Royal Up on), and even if they did, their min would be much higher than someone in a balcony (even various balcony categories will have diff mins).

Though these are not normal times, I could have to bid from my inside cabin on just about all classes up to 2 br suites. Doubtful(?) that any would be available in the loftier categories, but the option was there.

Who knows how all of this works but I would guess that the system is designed to maximize revenue.

2 minutes ago, zebra36 said:

Though these are not normal times, I could have to bid from my inside cabin on just about all classes up to 2 br suites. Doubtful(?) that any would be available in the loftier categories, but the option was there.

Who knows how all of this works but I would guess that the system is designed to maximize revenue.

What ship?

I have an interior and was originally only allowed to bid up to ocean view. When the 50% sale happened last week I was able to then big ask the way up to a 2 bedroom. I bid on a GS and an currently in a promenade interior. I highly doubt I will get it but was able to bid. I’m on symphony at the end of March. 

On 3/5/2022 at 8:48 AM, CruisingTeacher19 said:

I have an interior and was originally only allowed to bid up to ocean view. When the 50% sale happened last week I was able to then big ask the way up to a 2 bedroom. I bid on a GS and an currently in a promenade interior. I highly doubt I will get it but was able to bid. I’m on symphony at the end of March. 

We have a balcony sailing on 3/20. Just checked and no additional categories added. Oh well. Nothing is available anyway.

Just got Royal'd Up for Wonder this Friday 3/11.  D2 (OV Balcony) to JS. 

As of last night, everything I bid on (JS, GS, OS) was still pending and able to be modified. 

When I won a JS bid in the Fall, the JS was pending (with no option to modify) for a few weeks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nabalab said:

Just got Royal'd Up for Wonder this Friday 3/11.  D2 (OV Balcony) to JS. 

As of last night, everything I bid on (JS, GS, OS) was still pending and able to be modified. 

When I won a JS bid in the Fall, the JS was pending (with no option to modify) for a few weeks.

Great news on your upgrade.  I am on Wonder for next Friday 18th currently in a D2 OV balcony as well  and did Royal Up for either a GS or OS  and I am waiting for an offer .  Just curious what amount did you bid?  Thanks      

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, berbician said:

Great news on your upgrade.  I am on Wonder for next Friday 18th currently in a D2 OV balcony as well  and did Royal Up for either a GS or OS  and I am waiting for an offer .  Just curious what amount did you bid?  Thanks      

Thanks!  A little more than minimum.  But overall less than half of what a JS on Wonder is going for, if I got it outright.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nabalab said:

Thanks!  A little more than minimum.  But overall less than half of what a JS on Wonder is going for, if I got it outright.

Got it.  My bids are just over the minimum  as well. Really hoping that I get lucky as well.  

This may have been asked, but I wasn’t scrolling through 7+ thousands replies. LOL! Is there a cutoff for when you can bid? We are boarding in six days and every time I have looked at Royal Up it just keeps telling me to ensure my cruise is within a 30 day window. Um, yup, go that covered. 

14 minutes ago, mom2miracles said:

This may have been asked, but I wasn’t scrolling through 7+ thousands replies. LOL! Is there a cutoff for when you can bid? We are boarding in six days and every time I have looked at Royal Up it just keeps telling me to ensure my cruise is within a 30 day window. Um, yup, go that covered. 

If you booked with a Travel Agent you might no t be allowed by them to bid for a Royal Up. I know of one Big Box Travel Agent that does this and there are probably more.

Tom

7 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

If you booked with a Travel Agent you might no t be allowed by them to bid for a Royal Up. I know of one Big Box Travel Agent that does this and there are probably more.

Tom

So stupid! But no that isn't the reasons here. I have been able to bid on Royal Up's with other cruises through the same travel agent.

25 minutes ago, mom2miracles said:

So stupid! But no that isn't the reasons here. I have been able to bid on Royal Up's with other cruises through the same travel agent.

The “30 day” message is a rather generic error message.  I have gotten it with a typo, for example.  How long ago did you book?  If it was a recent booking, it can take a few days to for bidding opportunities to be generated, so just try back occasionally.  Assuming that is not it, if there is more than one surname one the reservation, try the other one.  You might want to try a different device/browser if available.  If none of those help, it is possible you have not been offered the opportunity to bid this time.  People have reported this for no obvious reason.

1 hour ago, mom2miracles said:

I just got another email this morning reminding us to Royal Up!  We sail on 3/14.

Not every booking is eligible for Royal Up so sometimes you just aren't invited to bid.  I have no idea why or how they choose who if invited to bid and who is excluded...it is what it is.  Sometimes you aren't eligible.

I’ve had my Mariner 3/26 bids in since 2/9. I am currently balcony GTY with no assigned room.

Checked today and I had the ability to bid on OS and RS. This is interesting to me as I though you had to be in a full suite to bid on those. Maybe not? Does anyone know if balcony can bid on these? Maybe a good sign I’ll get at least a GS?! 

The mid bids were relatively low ($450 pp) so I bid mid-level for both. Fingers crossed! 

42 minutes ago, twinmommy08 said:

I’ve had my Mariner 3/26 bids in since 2/9. I am currently balcony GTY with no assigned room.

Checked today and I had the ability to bid on OS and RS. This is interesting to me as I though you had to be in a full suite to bid on those. Maybe not? Does anyone know if balcony can bid on these? Maybe a good sign I’ll get at least a GS?! 

The mid bids were relatively low ($450 pp) so I bid mid-level for both. Fingers crossed! 

Thanks for posting this...I just checked and I am also now able to bid on rooms that I could not previously such as CLS, Aqua, an up. Never saw those before

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Thanks for posting this...I just checked and I am also now able to bid on rooms that I could not previously such as CLS, Aqua, an up. Never saw those before

Same here! I am booked on Freedom of the Seas this Friday and I logged back in and it’s showing me options for Owners Suite, Royal Suite and Villa Suite. I did not have those options before. 

I booked a guarantee balcony room and originally it showed the Spacious Ocean View Balcony, Junior Suites and Grand suites. I did place bids on the Junior suite and grand suite which still show as pending and I am able to change them. 

• Like 1