What happened to integrity?

Cruise a holic

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I booked directly when I was on another celebrity cruise.  No TA used.  

celebrity resolutions represent said they probably overbooked the restaurant.  We aren’t in a suite, in CC so maybe suite guests got priority and others got bumped.  Lucky me ☺️ 

Well there you go. 

Wendy,

I am sorry to hear about your bad run of luck.  I certainly can understand your frustration. 

We had something similar happen with a specialty restaurant reservation on board Solstice during our Great Barrier Reef cruise, but I considered it a "one off".

David

Edited by mahdnc

We had our Transpacific cruise cancelled for next year, making room for a charter in Japan.  3-4 cruises got altered, and an Alaskan cruise got cancelled, making room.  It was still over a year out, and we're flexible, but were completely in the dark for over a month as itineraries disappeared.  $200 OBC was offered for those that kept the new route or switched, but we were only give a couple weeks to use it, while not everyone was notified.  If we weren't on a roll call comparing notes, we would have missed out.

Royal Caribbean mistakes will cross over into Celebrity, which is more of my concern.

I've been hesitant to try RCCL again, given the changes to their MDR quality, and boasting campaigns about Quantum Class and Dynamic Dining, leading to very negative criticism, and egg on their face after cancelling.  Is Dynamic Dining going to work on Celebrity?

Why is the Edge leaning towards hipster decor?  Is this what traveling millennials want?  I follow quite a few traveling millennial blogs, mainly dealing with credit card rewards and miles.  None of them are interested in cruising, nor do they care for hipster themed hotels.

In 2014, Celebrity's entertainment focused almost exclusively on 70's pop, Abba and Village People.  In 2016, we heard 90's alternative music all over the ship, even in Blu.  Last month on Infinity, it was back to 70's pop.  I'm not sure this is all a smooth and steadfast transition...

OP,  no wonder you are frustrated.

Firstly you have been unlucky with cancellations, like many other cruisers we have been fortunate so far....

The cancelled dining is a different issue. Highly unlikely to be suite guests (top suite guests usually make bookings through the shoreside concierge) and it is too early for that. If they were ‘up grading’ the New Years Eve event in the speciality then I would have thought they would offer to accept your booking but for a higher charge....Far  more likely that there is a large group on board which as part of its ‘package’ has secured your dining venue for New Year.

Whilst I understand the need of companies to generate as much revenue as possible this really is an example of ‘forgetting the individual’. For us, we have often booked a cruise to celebrate a specific family event in a particular restaurant. You planned your cruise with the expectation of being able to do the same.

If Celebrity had reached out to you with an apology offering an alternative venue or the same venue another night or a small financial ‘sorry’ I am sure you would feel less bitter....It does worry me that more and more companies of all types feel it is OK to let down a customer and just offer a refund. Celebrity should remember it isn’t just a company it promotes itself as exceeding expectations, making your dreams come true...

What to do about it? Well in terms of cancelled cruises, I don’t think jumping cruise lines will help, they all do it...

Re your meal....Firstly I would draft an email expressing disappointment and concern. I would ask if the restaurant will be open but offering something different or being used as a private event...I would clearly express that this meal had been a key element of your festive planning, booked many months in advance but cancelled (without an apology) near to sailing.

We have rarely had need to complain to X but when we have we have always indicated what we expect from them as way to ‘try to put things right’. Perhaps, you could ask for a transfer of your booking to an alternative speciality with a bottle of champagne as a ‘good will’ gesture. If you do not receive a response I would take copies of your booking and emails sent and deliver them to the Captains Club host, the Concierge and the Food and beverage manager on boarding. Again, I would clearly state that you are aware they may not be able to ‘put things right’ in terms of reinstating your booking but you would like to feel your custom is valued.

OP,  you have cruised long enough to probably not need this advice but don’t let this precruise glitch sour your full experience....Hope you have a fantastic holiday cruise!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, dkjretired said:

What makes you think other cruise lines don't do the same thing, news flash, they do.  I do agree that it appears that the leadership of Celebrity doesn't care too much about past cruisers, have seen that building for a long time.  I think their only concern now is for special interests and millennials. 

Hmmm, Love you dk but lets' just change one tiny thing

What makes you think other drug dealers don't do the same thing, news flash, they do.  I do agree that it appears that the leadership of Stig doesn't care too much about past buyers, have seen that building for a long time.  I think their only concern now is for special interests and millennials. 

On 11/29/2018 at 2:59 PM, davekathy said:

No issues with any of our Celebrity cruises. 2016 we had a B2B Caribbean cruise booked on the Summit. Celebrity decided to charter it, gave us other options for a different ship, similar sail dates, and compensation. We adjusted and had a great B2B Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse instead. 

And that's when davekathy and I fell in love :classic_love:

156g1fa.jpg

2rmw4zn.jpg

vshv8l.jpg

vg1ylw.jpg

17 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I sympathize with your situation.  I understand cruise lines book charters and all that, but to do it reasonably close to sailing when most everyone booked likely has plane reservations should not be allowed IMHO.  A year or two out - ok, it's a chance you take.  But less than 6 months?  Should not be allowed.  The dinner reservation is also frustrating.  I also suspect it most likely is a large group but that is just not fair, this close to sailing.  Why can't they just tell people, sorry, we only have room for 'x' number of people - do you want to book just part of your group.  If they are bumping you for suite guests, don't even get me started on that (and we don't know one way or the other anyway).

FINALLY, a sympathetic response showing empathy for the OP! So many people defending the cruise line or explaining away the string of bad luck as "it happens".  If I had a string of 3 cancellations in a row I'd be pretty upset and more than a bit angry at Celebrity.

I can sympathize with the OP.  We had the second part of a B2B cancelled and only heard of it through cruise critic.  We had booked directly with Celebrity, so no TA to blame.  When I called, the first rep seemed to have no idea what was going on.  By the time I received official conformation of the cancellation and information about alternatives, we had two days to accept the offer.  None of the alternatives worked for us, since they would have required a second set of flights, incurring considerable extra cost.

After many phone calls we given an extra ten days to decide and we were able to transfer to the cruise before the original first half of the B2B.  They offered change fees for the fight.  We were not happy with Celebrity, but thankful that we have a very flexible schedule so were able to have a great cruise. 

Sheila 

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

FINALLY, a sympathetic response showing empathy for the OP! So many people defending the cruise line or explaining away the string of bad luck as "it happens".  If I had a string of 3 cancellations in a row I'd be pretty upset and more than a bit angry at Celebrity.

Exactly. 

The OP asked a question and that was what happens to integrity.  

Responding with others do the same doesn’t justify that it is right.  

I have also had a few cruises canceled or altered by X.  I was in the same position as the OP that the compensation offered wasn’t of any use to us as it didn’t fit our plans or schedule.  

We ended up doing something else during that time and really enjoyed it as it opened us up to realizing that cruising isn’t the only way to enjoy the world or spend our leisure time. .  Since then we have canceled a few cruises that we did have and don’t really plan on booking as many as we use to with the prices getting rather rediculous.  I am always of the opinion that many things happens for a reason and it is usually for the best so those cancelations may have been a blessing in disguise.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅 or anything else