Unlimited premium wifi or unlimited wifi package?

cruiseagona

25 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It opens the ports used for streaming data including Wi-Fi calling. If that doesn’t interest you, then the non-premium plan is sufficient. 

1344CD45-18A1-4FEC-82BD-25411C8680A3.jpeg

From my experience it’s just domain filtering.  You can stream from less-common domains, just not the big guys.  

Here’s another view of plans... 

3DAAA1A4-8A46-48F4-8A49-0564CA3F1D35.jpeg

Pricing may vary from ship to ship and for different length cruises.

Facetime and WiFi Calling are definitely not possible in the non-premium package.  It was left unfiltered by accident for the first week of our recent cruise and then suddenly put back into effect.  So I could WiFi call until they realized it and turned the filters back on and then it didn't work.

• 1 year later...

I would like a little more information on this topic myself.  I bought the unlimited package for my cruise coming up in June.  However, I'm trying to understand how and where it will be available to me.

1. Is it just on a smartphone, or is this good for tablets and laptops as well?

2. Is it by stateroom or by person?

3. (to go along with #2) Can I use it on multiple devices such as 2 or 3 phones; a phone and laptop; etc. at the same time?

What are the steps to activate and use the service once on board? Do they provide you with any step-by-step guidance? And is it available to look at prior to boarding so that you have a head start on how you can enable your device(s)?

Their (NCL's) advertisement says more details available on the NCL site, but it seems to be lacking greatly.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Derckert82 said:

I would like a little more information ... 

1. Is it just on a smartphone, or is this good for tablets and laptops ... ?

2. Is it by stateroom or by person?

3. Can I use it on multiple devices ... at the same time?

What are the steps to activate and use the service once on board?

Do they provide you with any step-by-step guidance?

And is it available to look at prior to boarding so that you have a head start on how you can enable your device(s)?

These plans, whether it's a time/MB data plan or the unlimited (basic or premium streaming/VPN enabled) plans are on the same principles, slow (satellite) speed & high latency (600 ms) & shared, dynamically cached with bandwidth being very narrow at peak times (like slow cable/DSL).

It is associated with a single log-in username/account; but, you can share it on multiple devices and across OS platforms (we had 5 devices' "Mac" addresses registered to use/share ... the newest log-in will get a prompt, if the older device hasn't log-out, to connect & drop the older connection)  You and others, anyone that you share the log-in account info, can use it - not restricted or limited to the stateroom.  Bow to stern WiFi coverage is pretty reliable (dead spots/zones will always exist to the nearest hotspot/router) and should be dual-band coverage on majority of the ships, 5 Ghz band is less congested, use it over 2.4 Ghz. 

There is a written guide/simple printout, available onboard at the iCafe - just pick one one for DIY setup ... average tech end-users should be able to figure it out, without standing in line for help during posted iCafe manager's hours, especially on Day 1.  Linking one of the newest guide.  

Lately, NCL rolled out multi-user plans with a discount for 2nd & 3rd users - to be able to go online at the same time, billed to one single Onboard Account.  

The actual URL or inTRAnet site to connect to, while connected to ship's WiFi (not available from land) is "digitalseas.io" but the shortcut link/URL is login.com and logout.com - to quickly access the sign-on screen, to connect to the inTERnet over satellite.  (see "sample" smartphone screenshots below ... each time you log-in and log-out, a brief pop-up meter will show minutes/time & data used and the "connected" device.  

There isn't a way to access or do a trial pre-cruise, the earliest is at the cruise terminal and within range of the ship's WiFi, then - you can connect & access it.  Not to worry, it's fairly simple once you do it once or twice ... inactive connections (even on unlimited plans) can be "timed-out" by the system (servers onboard) to release the channel/bandwidth to other active users.  

IMG_20190108_213121098.jpg

Collage 2019-12-21 19_48_55.jpg

Collage 2019-12-21 19_53_04.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bigbluegal said:

Any information on the multi-user plans?

Buckle up or be seated first, ready - this is very new, just started rolling out recently.  Multi-user plan/discount does NOT apply to the unlimited social media plan @ $14.99 per day.

These prices are based on a typical 7 nights sailing - single user discount are $5 lower on longer sailings (13 nights or longer, as I recall ... could be "wrong" on the # of days)

Unlimited Premium WiFi streaming/VPN -

$34.99 per day - 1 user  x  # of days

$51.98 per day - 2 users at the same time ($25.99 x 2 users) 

$62.97 per day - 3 users

Unlimited WiFi 

$29.99 per day - 1 user x # of days

$41.98 per day - 2 users

$56.97 per day - 3 users 

A sample calculation -

2 users on the basic, unlimited WiFi plan = $51.98 x 7 days = $363.86 

(you are allowed to buy on Day 2 for 6 days worth = $311.88)

Less a possible $125 trade-up credit if you have the "Free 250 minutes WiFi" as part of a booking promotion ****, reducing it to just $238.86 

Or, do this on Day 2 and only charged for $186.88

The premium plan does NOT unlock or yield faster speed nor bandwidth, it unblock tcp/udp ports - typical speed, when not "congested" during peak periods, is about 2 Mb download and 3 to 4 Mb upload ... not really optimal for HD streaming (i.e. Sling TV recommend a 2.8Mb for a high quality connection to stream contents, 1.8 Mb would be adequate for medium quality video).  

**** assuming that the upgrade credit is valid for the multi-user plan.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Buckle up or be seated first, ready - this is very new, just started rolling out recently.  Multi-user plan/discount does NOT apply to the unlimited social media plan @ $14.99 per day.

These prices are based on a typical 7 nights sailing - single user discount are $5 lower on longer sailings (13 nights or longer, as I recall ... could be "wrong" on the # of days)

$62.97 per day - 3 users

Unlimited WiFi 

$29.99 per day - 1 user x # of days

$41.98 per day - 2 users

$56.97 per day - 3 users 

A sample calculation -

2 users on the basic, unlimited WiFi plan = $51.98 x 7 days = $363.86 

(you are allowed to buy on Day 2 for 6 days worth = $311.88)

Less a possible $125 trade-up credit if you have the "Free 250 minutes WiFi" as part of a booking promotion ****, reducing it to just $238.86 

Or, do this on Day 2 and only charged for $186.88

The premium plan does NOT unlock or yield faster speed nor bandwidth, it unblock tcp/udp ports - typical speed, when not "congested" during peak periods, is about 2 Mb download and 3 to 4 Mb upload ... not really optimal for HD streaming (i.e. Sling TV recommend a 2.8Mb for a high quality connection to stream contents, 1.8 Mb would be adequate for medium quality video).  

**** assuming that the upgrade credit is valid for the multi-user plan.  

Thank you.....good information.  Will we be able to purchase online or is it available only on board?

If you are sailing soon, check for the option to purchase in advance (for single user, there is a discount - so you do "save" $$) 

When we sailed 3 weeks ago, did NOT see the "online" option to add/upgrade to a multi-user plan (not that we need/plan to or want to do it) - possibly b/c their outside vendor/partner might not be ramped up with the offer yet to integrate these bundles into the NCL system.  The option was offered & available onboard ... Day 1, and, chatted briefly with the iCafe manager mid-week.  

Unless we are out on high seas, much rather use HSPA+/4G and LTE cellular data, much much faster & better without packet losses (1 to 2%)  ... turn OFF all background/cloud uploads or auto-backup functions to maximize bandwidth use.  Plan for and expect it to be slow & sluggish.  Good luck ! 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:47 PM, mking8288 said:

$62.97 per day - 3 users

I can't find any multi-user options for NCL Joy.  Is there a place or way to do this that I am missing?  Thanks

22 minutes ago, jgoodm said:

I can't find any multi-user options for NCL Joy.  Is there a place or way to do this that I am missing?  Thanks

It's possible that you need to wait for this option/offer onboard the Joy; and, not as a pre-cruise option.  I know when we sailed the Gem last month, it was not shown online and only learn about it from checking the Freestyle Dailies ... full details at the iCafe.  

Have you check under your reservation/booking in MyNCL dot com for the Joy and check for upgrade offers under internet/WiFi ?  CC'ers currently on the Gem doing the Panama crossing, apparently, seeing the offer or option.  

For mega/+ ships ... the finite bandwidth might put a damper on the usability of these unlimited package into question, putting the squeeze on data transfer since it is shared & dynamically cached. 

Edited by mking8288

Yes definitely does not appear on my pre-cruise online offers.  It just discounts the package by 15% for doing it online.  I will email the pre-cruise concierge and see if there is a way to book in advance and report back.  Based on the thread about pre-cruise concierges, I am doubtful.

• 1 year later...

On my last cruises in 2018- I had the 250 minute promo and paid something like $130 to upgrade to the Premium so I could stream music services like Sirius XM which I had on my ipod touch (which is what I connected to).

They were able to talk me into the premium plan due to the UBP- I had been drinking heavily for 2 hours and heck, they could have tried to sell me TWO internet packages and I would have said yes.

However, I really didn't go on the cruise to watch youtube and Netflix so would have been fine without it.

Did they add the VPN feature later in 2018?" I don't remember (and not due to the alochol) seeing it as included in the premium.

2 hours ago, auie2 said:

so what kind of internet do you get with the free wifi at sea get you?

Thanks,

David

When I went in 2018 it was 250 minutes with the option to make it unlimited for around $125- I don't know if this has changed since then