Early booking catastrophe

GinnyL2

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That may also explain why when I went to post the above reply, there already was text in the reply text box.  It was the text from a reply I made yesterday!  The new software is a bit 'one step forward and two steps back'.

I had hit the submit button, it posted, I left the thread. Came back this morning to see three posts. 

21 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That may also explain why when I went to post the above reply, there already was text in the reply text box.  It was the text from a reply I made yesterday!  The new software is a bit 'one step forward and two steps back'.

Yeah, I have tried to just post, and it quotes some post

On 12/12/2018 at 10:50 PM, FlyerTalker said:

OMG....

So, had you bought a television and later it became available at a lower price, would you expect a refund?

Ditto with airline tickets.

Ditto with cars.

Ditto with so many things.

Let me turn it around...you bought your cruise and the price later went up.  Would you think that the cruiseline should now be able to bill you for the increase, since you didn't pay the current price?  Or does it only work in one direction...yours?

Hmmm, maybe too quick to judge.   From the answers provided it appears the OP asked a very valid question. 

Had the price dropped any time PRIOR to final payment, most cruise lines would have offered a refund for the price difference. I believe this is more than fair. However, once you are within 90 days of the cruise, shouldn't they have the right to offer lower prices in order to fill the ship? As others have said, it's worth asking your TA if they can offer any kind of upgrade. Otherwise, just know that you paid what you believed to be a fair price at the time. It allowed you a full year to plan and look forward to this cruise. If you're flying, I'm sure the airfare (and possibly hotel rates) is significantly higher now than it was when you booked your cruise. Were you to book the cruise now, the cruise savings would be negated by the higher airfare.

20 minutes ago, payitforward said:

Had the price dropped any time PRIOR to final payment, most cruise lines would have offered a refund for the price difference.

I have yet to cruise on a cruise line that offered refunds for lower prices prior to final payment.  Do you mean they reach out to everyone already booked and say "We've lower our price, do you want money back?"?

Or, possibly, you mean IF a price lower prior to final payment day shows up, and a person who already has a booking (at a higher price) contacts cruise line, THEN they are offered the lower price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

I have yet to cruise on a cruise line that offered refunds for lower prices prior to final payment.  Do you mean they reach out to everyone already booked and say "We've lower our price, do you want money back?"?

Or, possibly, you mean IF a price lower prior to final payment day shows up, and a person who already has a booking (at a higher price) contacts cruise line, THEN they are offered the lower price?

Of course the cruise line isn't going to contact everyone who is booked! But, if you have a good TA, THEY will contact you when the price drops. If you don't, then you have to watch the prices for yourself and contact the cruise line.

Edited by payitforward

Since (in the US, not necessarily elsewhere) you can usually cancel with a full refund until 90-120 days before sailing (note: not always coincident with final payment), the lines generally will honor a lower fare offer. But note that any special offers available when you originally booked, such as drinks packages or prepaid gratuities, may not be honored at the lower fare.

This is one case where a travel agent that has some status with the cruise line might be of some assistance. For example they may be able to obtain onboard credit to partially or completely offset the cost of a benefit lost in the lower price promotion.

Swings and roundabouts, some cruises dive in price, others escalate.  Demand is the key. Itinerary seems to dictate which does what, if it is a one off type itinerary (only one or two per year) they just keep going up as they sell out. A itinerary that is repeated over and over will have some of them just dive in price to fill the ship.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:26 PM, GinnyL2 said:

Booked a Jan. 2019 cruise in Feb.2018. Now the rate is almost half what I paid. Is there any recourse?

What is the deal with people using over the top words to complain about normal occurrences.  In this case it is a catastrophe because OP is getting the cruise she picked at the price she agreed to pay?  In another thread someone claims to be terrified to cruise because no one talked to her - even though she didn't talk to anyone.

Geez, folks, every time something doesn't happen the way you want, it is not a catastrophe, a cause to be terrified, a case of bait and switch , a rip-off, or any other over the top description you choose.  Chill.

A case of people not taking responsibility for their own actions, it is always someone else's fault if something doesn't work out rather than their lack of knowledge and or judgement. But hey, even the most informed people can make mistakes or have a situation turn out differently. The difference is how you react to that, complain about it as the worst thing that could happen or take notice to learn from it for next time.

31 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

What is the deal with people using over the top words to complain about normal occurrences.  In this case it is a catastrophe because OP is getting the cruise she picked at the price she agreed to pay?  In another thread someone claims to be terrified to cruise because no one talked to her - even though she didn't talk to anyone.

Geez, folks, every time something doesn't happen the way you want, it is not a catastrophe, a cause to be terrified, a case of bait and switch , a rip-off, or any other over the top description you choose.  Chill.

As posted in another thread, "some people cannot tell the difference between bad customer service and just not getting the answer they want. "

😄

Of course, OP should be happily looking forward to sailing on the desired cruise at the price that seemed right at the time OP booked. 

The only thing that has changed is learning that someone else is getting the same cruise for a better deal.  

In one word:  ENVY is OP’s only real  problem.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:50 AM, FlyerTalker said:

OMG....

So, had you bought a television and later it became available at a lower price, would you expect a refund?

Ditto with airline tickets.

Ditto with cars.

Ditto with so many things.

Let me turn it around...you bought your cruise and the price later went up.  Would you think that the cruiseline should now be able to bill you for the increase, since you didn't pay the current price?  Or does it only work in one direction...yours?

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:50 AM, FlyerTalker said:

actually I bought a Bose radio two weeks ago and they were on sale yesterday for $200 less than I paid. I called them (very politefully) and they refunded me $200...doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by alexspepa