Room Service, Money Card , Free food and drinks

nyhitmen

Hey All 

first time on carnival server questions 

1- I have heard most room service food is free . Is this true and if you order room service do they charge you extra tips beyond the standard set per day tips ? 

2- can you explain how the money card works ? Like how much do we need to put on it and if way we put $100 and only used $85 for the required tips how we get refunded ? Never used the card they talk about for credit before 

3- we know the buffet is free, the one dining hall , what other places on the boat offer included food ?  And what types of drinks on the cruise are free for example are only drinks at the food place we are eating dinner free or are there free places to pick up a quick ice tea or something 

thanks in advance 

Most of the room service menu is free, there are a few upcharge items.  Room service delivery is usually free, but I can't remember if they added a delivery charge after 10-11pm.  It is nice to tip the person who delivers a couple dollars, depending on how much you order.  They are not part of the tip pool.  There is no 'money card'  You have an account, and if you are not backing your account with a credit card, you need to go to guest services and give them cash.  When you have spent that cash, they will send you a message to deposit more.  If you have not spent all of it you will get a check - I think.  They might mail it to you.  

There are lots of other free food venues on your ship - whichever one it is.  Check out your ship on Carnival's website.  For beverages, there are beverage stations in the buffet area where you can get unsweet tea, lemonade, and a juice drink on tap.  Also coffee.  Juices at breakfast.  EM

You can also get iced tea, milk, coffee, lemonade and juice during meals in the dining room. Soda and alcohol of any kind are extra but you can bring on one bottle of wine and one 12 pack of soda pp when you board the ship.

What ship are you sailing on? That will help as to other venues. There are pictures on various threads here of the room service menus that list any prices or charges.

If you place a credit card on file when you do your online check in, they will just charge to that. Don't use a debit card because the daily hold can really add up even if you aren't spending a lot.

Edited by momof3cruisers

1) As stated 10p-6a there is a free, a couple of dollars for tip is a nice gesture fir having food brought to you.

2)Sign and Sail card whatever money you put on it is refundable, I'm pretty sure there is a minimum though to get started. Hint don't use a debit card, the hold is a couple of hundred.

3) You didn't mention ship, but some of the newer ones have Blue Iquana (Mexican), Guy's Burgers, Pig and Anchor (Bbq), and Pizza in addition to Buffet that are all Free!  2 Dining rooms.

Coffee, Iced Tea, Fruit Drinks, Milk, Water are available on Lido (Buffet) and dining rooms. All Free!

You can go to Carnival web for your ship and it will give you the included food places. Makes planning fun.

Edited by beerman2

9 hours ago, nyhitmen said:

2- can you explain how the money card works ? Like how much do we need to put on it and if way we put $100 and only used $85 for the required tips how we get refunded ? Never used the card they talk about for credit before 

Hi

On the ship, things that are purchased with your "Sign & Sail" card. This card is an identification card for you. When it is used a photo of yourself is seen so that it is identified that "you" are making the purchase. It is also used for security when you board or disembark the ship. It is scanned, they see your face, they know you are either on the ship or not on the ship. You are required to carry this card as well as a picture ID when boarding or debarking the ship at all your ports of call.

So, this card is used for purchases. Before boarding (embarkation day) they will ask you how you plan to pay for onboard purchases. Most people will chose to pay with credit card, just for convenience. If that is the case, there is nothing to do, similar to a hotel. You will receive a statement at the end of the cruise, it will be automatically charged to your credit card the next day. While on board you can monitor the charges to your account at your leisure. There are many means to do this. If you do not choose to use a credit card, you will need to fund your purchases with cash, in advance. On embarkation day, you would need to give them money, and as you spend (if you spend...it is not necessary), you would need to give additional funds. They will disallow charges if sufficient are not in the account. They will not knowingly allow you to run up a bill. On the final day, you would need to ensure that your account is fully paid up, or they won't let you off the ship.

Tips are not automatically charged for room service. Tips are appreciated. A few dollars to whatever you choose would be fine. Tips are automatically added to alcohol purchases. 

49 minutes ago, nyhitmen said:

I am on the Carnival Liberty

All Carnival ships work the same, relative to your inquiry below.  See my answers in red.

11 hours ago, nyhitmen said:

1- I have heard most room service food is free . Is this true and if you order room service do they charge you extra tips beyond the standard set per day tips ?   Most room service food is free.  If it is not, it noted in the menu.  Room service tips are not included in the auto-gratuity that you pay, so $1-5 is appreciated by the server, depending on how much you order (those amounts are what we normally tip, not a requirement).

2- can you explain how the money card works ? Like how much do we need to put on it and if way we put $100 and only used $85 for the required tips how we get refunded ? Never used the card they talk about for credit before The "money card" is your Sail and Sign card.  This is your room key as well as the method that you use to pay for everything on the ship (including your daily gratuities, if you don't prepay them).  You will need to secure this account with cash, gift cards, debit card (not recommended), or a credit card.  All of your charges on the ship will be applied to this account.  If you put $100 on your card and have $85 in gratuities and spend absolutely nothing else, you can obtain your remaining funds by cashing out at the kiosk or guest service, or Carnival will mail you a check (as long as it is more than $10).

3- we know the buffet is free, the one dining hall , what other places on the boat offer included food ?  And what types of drinks on the cruise are free for example are only drinks at the food place we are eating dinner free or are there free places to pick up a quick ice tea or something  Yes, the Lido buffet and Main Dining Room are included.  There are other included options such as Guy's Burgers.  Take a look at what's available on your ship here ... https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-liberty.aspx?CID=PSearch_A_G_&SE=Google&KW=carnival_liberty&CM=CCL_CCS_EN_US_Search_Isolate_BKWS_Cruise_Ships_Exact&AG=Carnival_Liberty&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8d-qqpCd3wIV2sDICh206A5GEAAYASAAEgKyf_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  Anything with a $$ by it is an extra charge.

57 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

All Carnival ships work the same, relative to your inquiry below.  See my answers in red.

Awesome thank you

One last question. Do they give you some sort of info when your board like a map or something to show where you can find what food and also what hours these places operate? So we can plan what places we want to eat at?

11 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

For beverages, there are beverage stations in the buffet area where you can get unsweet tea, lemonade, and a juice drink on tap.  Also coffee.  Juices at breakfast.  EM

9 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

You can also get iced tea, milk, coffee, lemonade and juice during meals in the dining room.

I was planning on getting the bubbles package for my family on our cruise. I really do not drink sodas, but mainly going to get it for myself, for the juices. 

After Reading this, are the milks, lemonades, Teas, and coffees all available all day long too and included with our price paid? 

We was also thinking of bringing on a 12pk per guest but the bubbles ended up being a better plan for our schedules we are working on so we would not have to go back to our room to get a drink. But if the milks, lemonades teas and regular coffees are included with our fare all day long, I may forgo the bubbles. 

Thank you for 

google-   Carnival Liberty room service menu, 2018   it lists what is charged and not.     after 10 and before 5 there is a fee.       and you should tip a buck or two for delivery-  even if there is a charge.    

as for the map--   look on the back of the fun times--  there is a list of dining places and the times they are serving.   If there is no $$ next to the listing that means its free 

Carnival Liberty has a facebook page too

29 minutes ago, nyhitmen said:

Awesome thank you

One last question. Do they give you some sort of info when your board like a map or something to show where you can find what food and also what hours these places operate? So we can plan what places we want to eat at?

You will be able to get a map, but you will be best served by (1) downloading the Carnival HUB app and (2) checking out the Fun Times every day.  The HUB app will have all daily activities, restaurant times (with a notation if it is an extra charge), ship maps, etc.  Just download from your app store before you leave and once you board connect to Carnival's wifi (put your phone into airplane mode, turn wifi back on ,connect to Carnival -- no charge to use the HUB app), and click "I'm on board."

2 minutes ago, Narcussist said:

After Reading this, are the milks, lemonades, Teas, and coffees all available all day long too and included with our price paid? 

Lemonade, iced tea, hot tea, hot chocolate, coffee, tap water, milk are included in your fare and are available all day long on the Lido deck.  Juice is available during breakfast.  Milk is out during breakfast, but you will need to ask for it on the Lido at other times (they will just go grab it for you without question).

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Narcussist said:

I was planning on getting the bubbles package for my family on our cruise. I really do not drink sodas, but mainly going to get it for myself, for the juices. 

We was also thinking of bringing on a 12pk per guest but the bubbles ended up being a better plan for our schedules we are working on so we would not have to go back to our room to get a drink. But if the milks, lemonades teas and regular coffees are included with our fare all day long, I may forgo the bubbles. 

Thank you for 

Those drinks you mention are always available on the Lido deck (I'm not 100% sure about the milk) but there is also hot chocolate. As for Bottomless Bubbles it's per person and sharing is not SUPPOSED to take place. But a lot depends on how much soda you drink. Carrying the 12 pack is definitely a great way to go, but it sounds like the logistics of that may not work for you.

Also remember that there is 24-hr soft serve ice cream... mixed with some of the available free drinks can make an interesting milk shake!

One last thing about the room service, it's true that there are quite a few things available for free during the day (some have a small charge) but between 10 PM & 6 AM everything comes with a small charge. No service charge for the food, but as several have mentioned, a dollar or two for a tip is the standard, depending on how much you order. I attached the most recent versions of the room service menu that I have- I think it's the latest version. One is the daytime menu, the 2nd is the nighttime menu.

Room Service menu with prices v2.jpg

Room Service menu with prices.jpg

2 hours ago, nyhitmen said:

Awesome thank you

See post #8 and the link provided. You can research each deck and get an idea of where things are.

You will get a "Fun Times" newsletter every night for next days activities/times that food places are open.

Suggestion:Take a highlighter makes things easier.

By each set of elevators there will be a schematic diagram showing where you are, and what is on each deck.  But it is a cross section map.  If you want a flat map of each deck, go to www.cruisedeckplans.com, pull up your ship, and scroll down to where you can create a pdf of deck plans.  You can print them in color, five decks per page, or less.  I always print out the pages with public ares, not the ones with just cabins.  EM

There are at least a dozen places to dine on the Carnival Liberty, each offering a variety of cuisines. Except as noted below, all are included in the base cruise fare.

• Golden Olympian Dining Room
  • Silver Olympian Dining Room
  • Lido Restaurant (Mongolian Wok, Chef’s Choice, Salad Bar, Carnival Deli, pIZZA) 
  • Blue Iguana Cantina
  • Seafood Shack   $$
  • Guy's Burger Joint
  • The Steakhouse (fixed surcharge of $30 per person) $$
  • Bonsai Sushi Bar  $$
  • Ol' Fashioned Barbecue

19 hours ago, serene56 said:

There are at least a dozen places to dine on the Carnival Liberty, each offering a variety of cuisines. Except as noted below, all are included in the base cruise fare.

• Golden Olympian Dining Room
  • Silver Olympian Dining Room
  • Lido Restaurant (Mongolian Wok, Chef’s Choice, Salad Bar, Carnival Deli, pIZZA) 
  • Blue Iguana Cantina
  • Seafood Shack   $$
  • Guy's Burger Joint
  • The Steakhouse (fixed surcharge of $30 per person) $$
  • Bonsai Sushi Bar  $$
  • Ol' Fashioned Barbecue

The steakhouse is $38 per person, and well worth it in my opinion.