Back from Maiden Edge Voyage - Dec 9-16, 2018

happicruzer

BACKGROUND

We are seventy-somethings that currently cruise to enjoy the ocean, some nice food and entertainment.  For us, a cruise is just a bit of vacation from home.  

We rarely use the pool, spa, gamble or stay up late.  We may take an excursion if it catches our fancy.  This trip went to Key West (took the Conch Train tour and toured the Aquarium-cheaper as a cruise excursion with 20% off than buying online/direct at port), Costa Maya (walked the shop area to get some photos of the Edge), and Grand Cayman. 

Traveling on Edge, and after reading many of the early blogs, I decided to provide my observations from a cruiser perspective.  Many day-to-day blogs with photos will fill you in on anything not covered by me.

Following a post from someone else, I plan to break up the comments into smaller sections for posting and ease of reading.  Thus you can easily skip over anything not of interest to you.

We enjoyed our “maiden voyage” on the Edge.  Had booked two cruises first day out, just in case the inaugural date fell through.  Decided, upon following the build blog and due to huge price hikes, that we’d keep our January cruise and sail the same ship a couple weeks apart. 

I read the ‘Edge” book that was in the stateroom on debarkation morning.  Realized how much I did see but then missed during the rest of the week.  Will be glad to seek out the bits and pieces that may mean more after reading the book and to revisit those areas I enjoyed.

There are lots of nooks and crannies – some one-way hallways (think dead ends).  I had a good time and look forward to our January cruise on The Edge.

EMBARKATION

..  Parked in garage without dropping off bags.  Plenty of parking spaces, shared with HAL ship.

..  Sidewalk, as reported earlier, is very narrow.  More an issue at debarkation, as most are pushing/dragging luggage and sharing space with incoming employees and future cruisers.

..  Confirmed printed pass for building entry, showed passport, through luggage check.  Quick and easy.  If in a suite, you will be directed to different embarkation area.

..  Approached by individual with iPad, scanned paperwork, took photo and picture of passports

..  Seated in large, open area.  Not enough seating and lots of folks stood to rush the line at 11:15 announcement.

..  Priority boarders announced – mad rush.  Announcements to sit down or boarding would stop.

..  Then Aqua Class.  (our paperwork had no mention of Aqua just loyalty)

..  Then Elite Plus

..  Our paperwork wouldn’t scan at boarding (worked entering building).  There was a long table with staff to reenter all your information to print out new paperwork.  I had pictures of bar codes on iPhone which did scan.

..  Heavy rain began falling.  An employee held a large umbrella to provide cover between the building and the ramp area.  Then, stuck on ramp which began bouncing, all was well, apparently, as boarding again commenced.

MISS – too many loud announcements bouncing around the room which are unintelligible.  Should break up the room with seating areas by boarding group as done in almost every other boarding area to stop the mad rush to gain access to boarding.

UPON BOARDING  --  My first impression - EDGE IS STUNNING.  My husband called Edge luxurious.

• Thanks 1

AQUA CLASS STATEROOM

..  Keys outside of door (very secure paperwork!) 

..  Room was ready to drop off bags.  Sign on door requests you return at 1PM.

..  Returned after lunch to find the Window secured - closed by management (frequent occurrence)

..  Room controls were easy to use

..  Temperature in room would obviously warm up with window down and folding doors open

..  Bathroom with large shower has good storage space, drawer (holds hair dryer) and shelving

..  The outlet box charged my Canon battery, two plug-ins and two USB slots for electronics; one European style plug (for vacuum)

..  Single plug in wall by bed.  USB in phone would not charge my iPad

..  We were far enough away to observe the Magic Carpet but not be bothered by it

..  Closet held 24 hangers with two hanging robes.  Half was half height with drawers and safe which would take my iPad.  Long side held the exercise mats which we placed under the lounger sofa to make room for our pop up laundry bag.

..  Two umbrellas, small binoculars, two robes, two exercise mats plus daily tea and mostly edible canapés

MISS - PRIVACY IN STATEROOM

..  Hated closing blind since I cruise to see and experience the ocean. 

..  Tint the folding door windows or install a curtain.  We were parked opposite Allure of the Seas – I could see into their rooms, they obviously (waved back) could see into ours.

LAUNDRY

..  Used twice (with loyalty perk).  Set out at night and returned with turn-down service the next night.

GUEST SERVICES

..  Paperless.  Had to argue to get a printout of drink selections by category.

..  Pushes app.  Okay only if one carries your smart device around – nor was information accurate.

..  Claimed corporate didn’t forward credit card information.  Sent about 2,000 sheets of paper telling everyone to provide their credit card information. 

..  Refused to provide paper for comments (we are paperless!).   Guest could stand and dictate so someone could type up comments.  I found paper and gave them a lot to type.  Mostly positive, but….

ARTWORK

..  You will either like it or not.  Over 98% was a hit with me.  Loved the Pearl Ship, Pendulum, Forest to Blu and Eden, Mr. Edge and most of artwork was interesting - or thought provoking, in some cases.

ELEVATOR

.. Large enough to hold 28 and xx kgs.  Never fit more than 21 and no room for another that time.

.. Can be programmed for debarkation floor or the Magic Carpet location.  

MISS – Debarkation by tender at Grand Cayman showed Magic Carpet on 15 instead of debarkation level 2/3?  We took the elevator to 2 and were told to go back up to 3.  Program the elevator!!   Worked for Port Everglades debarkation – showed Floor 5. 

STAFF – Everyone you meet will say hello, good morning/evening – even the guy riding the window washing equipment said hello.

..  Interesting to watch the equipment glide along the outside rail, spray the windows (closed by management unless you happened to block the safety eye by mistake) and then move on.

RESTAURANT MENUS

..  Told by Guest Services to use the app (not always correct or even posted) for menus

..  No visible menus posted – we are paperless.  By day 7, menus had been left at podium to review. 

..  Menus not posted on television. 

MISS – more information - rather than none or incorrect app information – is better for me, the cruiser

OCEANVIEW CAFÉ

..  Very little change, in food choices, from day 1 to day 7.  Two salad stations, bread area, large Indian area, soups - which for the first cruise ever - didn’t interest husband, seafood (usually mussels and paella), pasta with two lasagna options (the beef lasagna looked good but was a one dish and gone), sandwich, carving station (beef, turkey or pork), precooked meats (always chicken breast, pork chop and think fish) with limited vegetables and a second station usually offering stew and pototoes; fajita – chicken and steak – with fixings.  Two desert stations. 

..  Very colorful doughnuts and scones for afternoon snack.

..  Last day had a shrimp station with jumbo shrimp much enjoyed by many if the lines and piles of shells were any indication.  Several sausages took the fajita area which moved to an inside station.

..  Ended up with pizza more often than not (from way behind the café) although the trays were empty more often than filled.

Bar servers were few and service was extremely slow.  Most days you could order a drink, eat your meal and then your beer/wine/drink would arrive.  Only one bar with a long line so waiters also had a wait.

MAST GRILL

..  Good hamburgers, hot dogs – bacon, onions, cheese and a fourth item was available.  Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles for self add.  Mayo, mustard and ketchup on the back wall.

..  Self-serve ice cream with one flavor which changed between chocolate and vanilla.

..  Once again, few bar servers and a long wait as bar was in another area.

CAFÉ AL BACIO

Larger than on S class ships (gelato moved to Oceanview Café).  New page of $12 drinks and the IGLU is back.  Breakfast and cake options same as on other ships.  Love the carrot muffins! 

BLU – Designated dining room for Aqua class

..  Great service (thank you, Jeshna!). 

..  Similar if not same menu as on S class; salad options were very tasty, usually found something of interest and one night ordered the filet mignon off the children’s menu (small 4oz) served with both French fries and mashed potatoes.  Jeshna offered to get some vegetables, will know to order some next trip.

PHOTO SHOP

..  MISS - Embarkation photo had no border like all other Celebrity ship do. 

..  Stated no backdrops are allowed.  The ship is to be the backdrop.

..  Go Pro only camera sold.  Some binoculars and miscellaneous camera supplies. 

MAGIC CARPET

..  Standing on the carpet while under sail in a wind, felt it shimmy.  Not a feeling I like.  Better closer to the bar and the side of the ship.

..  Never tried any dining options.

..  Staff spent time drying furniture.  Some type of enclosure is in planning stage, just not sure what type of drag it will add. 

..  Not really a miss or an eyesore. 

OUTDOOR FURNITURE

..  Unfortunately it rained.  Sitting at Sunset Bar during sailaway – learned all the chair cushions absorb water.  Your clothing absorbs water – and puddles form under your seat!

..  Noticed some mildew already forming on cushions at the Rooftop Garden.

• Thanks 2

TENDER OPERATIONS AT GRAND CAYMAN

..  The absolute worst tender experience in over 20+ cruises to Grand Cayman.  Too much reliance on Celebrity tenders (seating 130+-) rather than using the 300+- person GC supplied tenders (appeared to be only used at front of ship for shore excursions or those who knew to go forward and beat the crowd standing center deck three).  Many said 1.5 hour wait. 

..  We waited till - an hour after - tenders began operation to even get in line 

..  800 plus Elite and above meant priority tender would also be slow

.. Our priority equaled walking around the ship and back to deck 3 to start all over again.  At least a 45 minute wait from time we first stood in line. 

.. Wheelchair ramp for those in wheelchairs.  Not sure if staff carried walkers down the steps to the Magic Carpet.

Recommend Celebrity use the people movers for the first 2,000 departures and then switch to the tenders and to return to the ship. 

FYI, the tender seats are comfortable, but the a/c lost the battle due to high humidity and long wait for boarding.  I’ll take the GC tenders with air flow anytime over sweating in the Celebrity tender.

• Thanks 2

THE THEATRE – beautiful set up, good sight lines

Descriptions of each show will follow at end of the daily show comments.

Day 1 – The Purpose

..  7:15 show less than 50% full, many walked out

..  Singer was excellent (name unknown but last day was told she was a guest singer)

..  Next to last song was a tribute to Malala

Day 2 – Kaleidoscope

..  7:15 show about 50% full, some walkouts, some late arrivals

..  Singers and dancers excellent

..  Didn’t know any of the music but enjoyed the program

Day 3 – Jewelry Box

..  7:15 show about 65% full

..  Backdrop reminded us of Star Wars, one song of the witches in Hocus Pocus, and ending with King Arthur saving the universe

..  Excellect singers and dancers

Day 4 – Comedian – Rondell Sheridan

..  Missed due to dinner

Day 5 – Hype

..  7:15 show with larger audience, fewer walkouts

Day 6 – Comedian Finesse Mitchell

..  7:15 show again with larger audience and late arrivals

..  Clean show

Day 7 – A Midsummer Night’s Dream

..  7:15 show nearly full with late arrivals

..  Very energetic and some storyline

..  Ariels and gymnastics

Overall, while not my style of music – I enjoyed the programs.  There may not really be a standout memory experience with a need to see next Edge cruise, but a nice way to spend an hour.  Lots of strobe lighting.   Production made good use of the theatre in the round and did use the access area.  Second floor had great sighting as seats were recessed so you pretty much looked over heads instead of through them to see the stage.

Descriptions from the Today for each show follows:

THE PURPOSE

Music has the power to move and inspire us all.  For decades, musicians have reminded listeners that a great song can move minds, heal hearts and inspire a generation to a fresh a [sic] sense of purpose.  The Purpose is filled with just such melodies, every one sublime and vital in its own right.  Each of these hand-picked songs, written by poets and visionaries, artists speaking for the times and from the heart, paints its own vivid picture of the wistful melancholy and wondrous joys that this life brings.  Join us for a playlist with purpose, connecting emotion, experience and ultimately each other.

KALEIDOSCOPE      

With a creative eye, see life through a colorful lens.  Emotions are reflected like a kaleidoscope of colors blending together into one.  A powerful mash up of music and emotion.

JEWELRY BOX

Step into the bold and daring production of The Jewelry Box, where jaw-dropping technology and evocative acts are merged to create an entertainment experience.

COMEDIAN RONDELL SHERIDAN

Funny man Rondell Sheridan disarms audiences with a mixture of playful physicality and facial expressions.  With a career that’s spanned almost 30 years, appearing on shows such as The Tonight Show with both Jay Leno and Johnny Carson, Late Night with Conan O’Brien, and many comedy specials, Sheridan is just plain funny and guarantees he’ll make you laugh.

HYPE 

Fearless musicianship comes together with visual excellence to create this authentic music experience that will energize and inspire all.

A HOT SUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM

You’ll be thoroughly immersed in a light-hearted journey that fuses music with extraordinary acrobatics and yes – a little bit of Shakespeare.  It’s a tale of love, intoxication, and midnight madness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review that really helps to prepare for what to expect

Nice to be able to get the facts without having to read thru what each person ordered  or had for each meal, what time they got up, showered, went to bed, what drink they ordered,  and etc  for every day of the cruise.   

Being in AQ how was the shower in the cabin,  the bathroom products, and the area that replaced the Persian Gardens?  

If you took a roll of wrapping paper and blue masking tape would it be possible to tape it over the windows on the bifold doors? 

Thanks 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

29 minutes ago, miched said:

Thanks for the review that really helps to prepare for what to expect

Nice to be able to get the facts without having to read thru what each person ordered  or had for each meal, what time they got up, showered, went to bed, what drink they ordered,  and etc  for every day of the cruise.   

Being in AQ how was the shower in the cabin,  the bathroom products, and the area that replaced the Persian Gardens?  

If you took a roll of wrapping paper and blue masking tape would it be possible to tape it over the windows on the bifold doors? 

Thanks 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

First, thanks for those of you who responded.  Appreciate the feedback.

i actually started a day by day and it definitely was boring as I wrote it  - although I follow many day by day blogs photo enhanced.  By now you’ve probably seen a photo of every square inch and food dish as I believe I didn’t actually see anything new other than various pictures and some holiday decorations.

I loved the Aqua bath and hair products.  The soap left little flakes in the sink - early one morning I questioned what was in the sink and wondered where the ‘bugs’ came from.  Woke up pretty quickly and had a good laugh with my excellent room steward, Ana.

Ana did show how to work the controls for overhead shower, hand held and double back jets (a little low for me at 5.8).  She also provided a bar of soap for the shower.  Nice lotion by the sink.  All toiletries are in a sixteen ounce pump bottle (not yet secured to the wall like on Princess).

i did think of asking for extra sheets to toss over the folding doors.  Neighbors were not an issue - do believe someone has to be over six feet to stretch around the wall.  Did close the curtain a third of the way down at night to cut outside lighting but enough to peak out to look for stars and moonlight on the sea (could squeeze in and stand between shade and glass).

The day bed bed could be used to recline and look out to the ocean.  We used the large plush velvet pillow as a footrest placed on the low table.  Comfortable!

Enjoy tourself, the ship was not - per some guest comments - for everyone.  

i can understand why the decorator didn’t add a curtain as the room is very streamlined as you first walk in.  Thus why I suggested window film if Celebrity doesn’t want to retrofit with curtains. There is about ten inches between the veranda window and the curtain - do pull the chairs out from the blind track.  Heard several blinds ended up off track.  

Judy

3 hours ago, happicruzer said:

First, thanks for those of you who responded.  Appreciate the feedback.

i actually started a day by day and it definitely was boring as I wrote it  - although I follow many day by day blogs photo enhanced.  By now you’ve probably seen a photo of every square inch and food dish as I believe I didn’t actually see anything new other than various pictures and some holiday decorations.

I loved the Aqua bath and hair products.  The soap left little flakes in the sink - early one morning I questioned what was in the sink and wondered where the ‘bugs’ came from.  Woke up pretty quickly and had a good laugh with my excellent room steward, Ana.

Ana did show how to work the controls for overhead shower, hand held and double back jets (a little low for me at 5.8).  She also provided a bar of soap for the shower.  Nice lotion by the sink.  All toiletries are in a sixteen ounce pump bottle (not yet secured to the wall like on Princess).

i did think of asking for extra sheets to toss over the folding doors.  Neighbors were not an issue - do believe someone has to be over six feet to stretch around the wall.  Did close the curtain a third of the way down at night to cut outside lighting but enough to peak out to look for stars and moonlight on the sea (could squeeze in and stand between shade and glass).

The day bed bed could be used to recline and look out to the ocean.  We used the large plush velvet pillow as a footrest placed on the low table.  Comfortable!

Enjoy tourself, the ship was not - per some guest comments - for everyone.  

i can understand why the decorator didn’t add a curtain as the room is very streamlined as you first walk in.  Thus why I suggested window film if Celebrity doesn’t want to retrofit with curtains. There is about ten inches between the veranda window and the curtain - do pull the chairs out from the blind track.  Heard several blinds ended up off track.  

Judy

Is there a place to put  those removable hooks on adhesive and put up a black out curtain? or a lightweight shower liner.

1 hour ago, kkmiausa said:

Is there a place to put  those removable hooks on adhesive and put up a black out curtain? or a lightweight shower liner.

Don’t know.  The bifold doors are mostly glass with what I assume was wood trim and fold inward into the balcony area.  If the ceiling would hold hooks, you might be able to put them there to hang a curtain.  Taped paper as mentioned earlier might actually work better.  Just remember if the window is down and the door opens you get a wind tunnel that could rip stuff off the door or ceiling.

I had more trouble getting comfortable with the pillows that seemed to become hard boulders under my head than from the light - especially when I closed the window blind down 1/3rd of the way.  We had a small ledge above our room that trapped light. Other rooms, either farther back or on deck ten, might not have that light.

Since you can’t slide the device you hang, think it would be annoying - unless you plan to cut whatever you hang up the middle - to make walking through it or folding it back to see out the window when privacy isn’t an issue.  

Sticking the command hooks to the inside glass to hang your cutain might work.

The window washer went by at least four times on our week long cruise and Allure was parked opposite when in port.  Port side of the ship would not have been impacted by the Allure.

Judy