Cruise Critic Community
mitsugirly

MITSUGIRLY sails off into the HORIZON-review & pictorial

PC190071%20copy-L.jpg

PC190074%20copy-L.jpg

Look at the hubby go...no ear problems at all with his dive mask with ear covers.

PC190075%20copy-L.jpg

PC190079%20copy-L.jpg

The cutest little spotted trunk fish. I love these guys!

PC190082%20copy-L.jpg

Short Video:

PC190087%20copy-L.jpg

PC190089%20copy-L.jpg

PC190090%20copy-L.jpg

PC190092%20copy-L.jpg

PC190093%20copy-L.jpg

A grunt fish or snapper...I always get these confused because they look so similar

PC190094%20copy-L.jpg

PC190097%20copy-L.jpg

PC190101%20copy-L.jpg

PC190102%20copy-L.jpg

PC190107%20copy-L.jpg

PC190109%20copy-L.jpg

PC190113%20copy-L.jpg

VIDEO OF THE AREA:

PC190114%20copy-L.jpg

An extremely large feather duster (worm)

PC190115%20copy-L.jpg

PC190116%20copy-L.jpg

PC190122%20copy-L.jpg

PC190124%20copy-L.jpg

PC190127%20copy-L.jpg

PC190128%20copy-L.jpg

PC190130%20copy-L.jpg

PC190131%20copy-L.jpg

PC190132%20copy-L.jpg

DEVIL!!!! (Fire worm)

PC190134%20copy-L.jpg

Such an odd shape and I have never seen one like this

PC190135%20copy-L.jpg

There were a lot of Christmas tree worms during this dive. I just love them and hope to some day add them to my saltwater tank.

PC190136%20copy-L.jpg

I really need to work on my video skills...

We spotted a snowflake eel. It was quick! (Later my hubby would ask me if I seen the snake) LOL  😄

I swear some times I felt like we were going in circles. Or we would go out and head back some (from the reduced amount of coral and rocks and back to sandy areas) but then we would be back to the areas loaded with rocks.

Kendra and Brayden

PC190139%20copy-L.jpg

PC190141%20copy-L.jpg

PC190145%20copy-L.jpg

Can anyone guess who this is? Hint: yellow fashion statement

PC190146%20copy-L.jpg

Four eyed butterfly fish

PC190147%20copy-L.jpg

PC190151%20copy-L.jpg

Trumpet Fish

PC190153%20copy-L.jpg

Short Video of Trumpet Fish

PC190155%20copy-L.jpg

PC190158%20copy-L.jpg

PC190159%20copy-L.jpg

PC190160%20copy-L.jpg

PC190161%20copy-L.jpg

PC190162%20copy-L.jpg

PC190169%20copy-L.jpg

PC190174%20copy-L.jpg

PC190176%20copy-L.jpg

Now this time I know for sure, we were heading back toward shore.

PC190178%20copy-L.jpg

Then all of a sudden, Sam the instructor, stopped and started pointing at a hole in the rock. I was probably the furthest away from there and everyone was looking. I'm usually last because I'm busy taking pictures if possible.

Well, inside this big hole was a HUGE octopus! Like super huge! Like when you think of octopus, you think of this size. I had never seen one like this. We have come across the small ones several times, but nothing like this. I wish I could have gotten a better picture of it or maybe I should have taken a video for it to turn out better. He was squirming around some and all I could really manage to get was his huge eye and part of the head.

This picture of his eye reminds me of a dinosaur eye. LOL

PC190180%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190181%20copy-XL.jpg

I was unsuccessful of getting any pictures that would really show him or his size, but in my mind, it was a first for me and I was super excited.

We continued to head back toward shore.

PC190185%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190191%20copy-XL.jpg

I was really saddened that Sakari had problems and had to head back and didn't get to dive with us. I couldn't wait to get back and see what the problem was and tell her about the things we had seen out there.

We headed out of the water and back to the dive shop.

Sakari was there waiting and had the BIGGEST smile on her face. Before I could get a word out she said "That was SO MUCH FUN it was amazing". Um, say what? She said "I seen SO MANY EELS MOMMY!!! They were everywhere! I seen so much stuff!" Um, ok. What did I miss here? She explained to me that she was having issues getting her ears to clear and Bas offered to take her to a more shallow area and not as deep as us and any place that was comfortable for her that she would be able to clear her ears. She said it was the best dive ever! I was so happy to know that she enjoyed herself so much and I was so worried that she didn't even get to dive. She talked about it the rest of the day and wants to go back! Well that just made my day!

Bas offered to let us hang out at the beach or do what we wanted for a while and said he'd have us back to the port before dark. I stayed right in the dive shop area but if I was to come back, I'd definitely explore the entire beach. 

This was my opportunity to take a few pictures of the beach and area. It really was beautiful and I can see why people like to come here even though you have to pay to get in. It's definitely a beach that I would come to even if I wasn't diving. There really wasn't many people here either and it never looked or felt crowded even mid-day. They did have a restaurant to get food and the hubby and Kendra ended up getting some fries and drinks.

PC190200%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190204%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190205%20copy-XL.jpg

They had the Christmas spirit too!

PC190207%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190210%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190211%20copy-XL.jpg

Kendra decided she just wanted to chill and get a little bit of sun.

PC190212%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190213%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190214%20copy-XL.jpg

I did notice a few other Carnival beach towels there, but not many.

PC190217%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190218%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190219%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190229%20copy-XL.jpg

Notice the moon was already out.

PC190231%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190232%20copy-XL.jpg

Sakari found a baby sea urchin that she had to come show us and then put back in the water.

PC190233%20copy-XL.jpg

A few pics with scuba photographer girl as the sun was setting.

PC190234%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190237%20copy-XL.jpg

It was time to pack up and go. We spent a lot of time talking to Sam and Bas about the island. We also talked a lot about the dive business, how long he had been doing it, his business and so on. Until recently (I want to say it was either February or maybe it was this past November) he had an actual dive shop. He decided to get rid of it and just do his thing without a shop. He has been in business long enough and doing this so many years that word of mouth and his reputation keeps him busy enough that he really didn't need a shop. I imagine he just rents the equipment from other shops and so on. Good set up I supposed. He uses their facilities.

Our dive was 50 minutes according to my watch I took a picture of and the times on my pictures. The only picture I managed to snap of how far we were down showed us at 25' deep. I'm not sure if we went deeper or not. Bas said he kept Sakari at around 12'.

We headed out to the parking lot around 6:10pm (our time)

PC190239%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190241%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190242%20copy-XL.jpg

I just love this design they came up with for the turtle and their dive shop. It's very creative and eye catching. So cool.

PC190243%20copy-XL.jpg

I had to laugh at the "Bee watering station" and Bas said they "water the bees" over there, which keep them away from the beach areas and people?

PC190244%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190245%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190246%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190247%20copy-XL.jpg

And a little advertisement pictures.

PC190248%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190251%20copy-XL.jpg

PC190252%20copy-XL.jpg

The ride back was full of conversation and we had a great time!

We highly recommend Bas Harts and will definitely use him again when we return.

We were back to the port and to the ship around 6:30pm. We headed to our rooms to take a quick shower and change. We were hungry and needed lunch/dinner. We decided to go to the buffet for a quick bite to eat because we wanted to get back off the ship and explore the city since we never had the opportunity the last time we were here.

The kids said they didn't want to go with us and elected to go to the kids club. At this time, the kids club was at the buffet for dinner and that would be where I dropped Sakari and B off at. Kam was already there and smiled and waved and I must have stood there with my mouth open in shock. I didn't get a "Where's my mom" "I wanna leave" or crying or anything. Just a smile and wave. Meanwhile, Kendra was in the background hidden because she said that it looked like Kam was having a good time and she didn't want to have to take her in to town if she didn't have to. She watched as we were standing there and seen that Kam didn't ask us to leave and Kendra was over joyed that she would have a few hours off the ship without the kids and fighting or crying. It was going to be adult time!!!

After we scarfed down our food we headed off the ship....for a night of exploring and lots of picture taking!

IMG_7021%20copy-L.jpg

I will have to finish this part later. I haven't sorted or prepared my pictures yet past this part. I hope everyone is still enjoying the review.

3 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Journeys cruises are special cruises that Carnival does. They are longer in duration, and go to some ports that Carnival typically doesn’t go to. They also have special activities on board during these cruises like throwback themes, a extravagant midnight buffet, classes that you can take and earn collectible pins. I really want to do one someday, but due to the limited number of Journeys cruises offered each year, it seems that the dates never work out for me. Someday though! Very high on my bucket list. 

https://www.carnival.com/journeys.aspx

Thanks so much for the link. I just checked it out and see 2 of them I just might have to check out a little more!!! 😄

2 hours ago, Shattered__minds said:

I dived with bas a few years back and really enjoyed it. He and his staff make it a really great experience. 

It is definitely one of my favorite dive companies now! We had a huge misunderstanding last year and I'm glad I decided to put that behind me and give him a try. I will definitely use him again next time we are there.

12 minutes ago, Rosy1013 said:

Still following! Loving it so far:)

Thanks so much!

Regarding the camera the same exact thing happened to me on my Oasis cruise this summer. My camera was a Sony waterproof. It was working ok until we hit St Marteen, and the pictures gradually got lighter as the day went on, when I attempted to use it in the ocean it went kaput. Granted, my camera was about 5 years old. But I called Sony when I returned anyway. Basically I was told the screen is waterproof but the inside isn’t and somehow water had gotten in the inside. I did charge it the day before so maybe I didn’t close it all the way? I have since bought a new camera. And can’t wait to use it. 

Hopefully you have better luck than I did with the camera. I am enjoying your review, my family will sail this ship in 2020.

Enjoying as always!  Crazy how big the kids are getting ... time sure flies!

Thank you, Mitsugirly  and family for this great and informative review.

You were missed and deserved a break and time off for you and the clan.

The snorkeling pictures and scuba pictures are sharp with lots of colour on the close ups, Flash?

It is appreciated that you name the fish etc. There are again a number of Firsts: you were very comfortable at start of the dive, Hubbies dive mask with ear covers had him really enjoying the dive, huge octopus, and Sakari with best dive and saw lots of eels.

The dive with 2 instructors was beneficial so some went deep and Sakari enjoyed a dive without having to stop.

Well Done and thanks again to you and the Family. 

4 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Journeys cruises are special cruises that Carnival does. They are longer in duration, and go to some ports that Carnival typically doesn’t go to. They also have special activities on board during these cruises like throwback themes, a extravagant midnight buffet, classes that you can take and earn collectible pins. I really want to do one someday, but due to the limited number of Journeys cruises offered each year, it seems that the dates never work out for me. Someday though! Very high on my bucket list. 

https://www.carnival.com/journeys.aspx

We are so looking forward to our Journeys cruise next month. As you said, it is longer than most of their cruises. We will be sailing out of Miami with 2 sea days before our first port of call of St. Croix with Guadeloupe, Barbados, Martinique, Antigua, St. Maarten, & Tortola to follow. Then 2 more sea days before arriving back in Miami.

48 minutes ago, Hillbillygram said:

We are so looking forward to our Journeys cruise next month. As you said, it is longer than most of their cruises. We will be sailing out of Miami with 2 sea days before our first port of call of St. Croix with Guadeloupe, Barbados, Martinique, Antigua, St. Maarten, & Tortola to follow. Then 2 more sea days before arriving back in Miami.

That's definitely an itinerary I would love to do someday!

We will be going to Cas Abao in April, thanks for the pictures! It really does look beautiful, I can't wait to go! I'm enjoying your review so far... awesome as usual!😊

Hi, loving the review as always! Totally off topic, Sakari's bathing suits are so cute, where do get them?

Posted (edited)

great diving trip review. You're really making me want to go on another cruise! without the kids this time...lol

Also, somehow i misses the part about the elevators. That all seems like more trouble than it's worth. Iknow at times waiting for a lift mightbe annoying , but with what, 6 or 4 different ones  depending where you're at..you just wait a minute and even if it's going up or down, you can hop on anyway , and hit your floor and you'll be there soon enough- none of this assigned elevator BS lol....

cruise people problems i guess...

Edited by splash_in_the_water

7 hours ago, splash_in_the_water said:

great diving trip review. You're really making me want to go on another cruise! without the kids this time...lol

Also, somehow i misses the part about the elevators. That all seems like more trouble than it's worth. Iknow at times waiting for a lift mightbe annoying , but with what, 6 or 4 different ones  depending where you're at..you just wait a minute and even if it's going up or down, you can hop on anyway , and hit your floor and you'll be there soon enough- none of this assigned elevator BS lol....

cruise people problems i guess...

We actually stayed in a hotel a few years ago that used this type of system. It was actually very easy to use and did end up making the trips shorter. Didn't take long to figure out how it worked and was nice to not have to look at each elevator to see which one just dinged..:classic_blink:

Excited to read your Aruba review. My wife and I just finished our first cruise but we have been to Aruba many times. We absolutely love it there but realize it's not for everyone. The governments of Aruba and Curacao are apparently working on a high-speed ferry transfer between the two but it may be a while before it's finished.

Cas Abao beach looks perfect for us. We don't dive but the kids enjoy paddle board looks like they rent them.

How long of a taxi ride is it from port to the beach?

Hooray!!... Another Mitsugirly review!!!

Kim, welcome back to CC... needless to say, you were greatly missed here in the boards, and I kept popping in from time to time to see if you had re-appeared and to see if everything was okay. We all missed your amazing reviews, beautiful pictures and witty humor... so, as you have been able to see, we are all very happy to see you here again!

Also, congrats on all the 2018 accomplishments finishing schooling, your son's new home, another grandson.... (impossible to believe, for such a young gal in age and spirit!... I hope the hubby doesn't get jealous... he's a lucky fellow)... and no wonder you took a break from here, and social media in general. Thanks for coming back, and for sharing your new review with us (those of us who have followed you for a while, know it takes a lot of time and effort to come back and post a review like yours after coming from a cruise, and we really appreciate your efforts)... it's always a delight and an adventure to read them!

All the best for you and your family in 2019!.... and as usual, I will keep reading on! Sakari is now a beautiful young woman... I can't believe how big she is now. We all have seen her grow up from cruise to cruise.

Cheers!!