Gratuities on RCCL

invision

This has really spiraled. There will always be people who want to take off the tips regardless and as stingy as we find that its pointless to argue with them. The real argument here seems to be between letting the cruise line distribute vs trying to distribute them yourself. There is a disagreement over what happens when you hand the money to the waiter/cabin steward directly. Earlier someone posted that those people still split it the same way. If that is true then why mess with it? If it's not true and as someone said they are "giving it to the people who deserve it" you are assuming the people you see are the ones who deserve it and not any of the back of house people. We can't compare it to McDonalds, the pizza place, or any land based business - it's just different. We will never all agree but until someone tells me definitively that RC steals from them unless we self distribute I'm going to leave them on my account and give cash directly to anyone I think deserves a little extra.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 9:26 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes that is 100% accurate. If you pre paid you are stuck with it, but if you choose to pay on board, then you can go to GS and ask them to cancel the auto debit of gratuities from your account.  

We have done this on another cruise line as we had terrible service in the main dining room.  So bad we didn't go 3 of the 7 nights.  We adjusted the tips accordingly.  We've not pre-paid since, and never will.    

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:51 PM, invision said:

It is hard to tell who you are hurting when nobody knows for certain where the gratuities are going.  Shrug

I never thought this topic would become so emotional for certain people.

I can see that tipping means different thing for a lot of people. :-)

Edited by Thechamp555

22 hours ago, zdad59 said:

I am not trying to flame with this question, but I must ask...   Other than being suspicious, why do you think the house takes a cut of the auto gratuity?   Do you have evidence of such?   If so, I would go to an all cash tip method as well.

Because they can.

1 hour ago, invision said:

Not saying it is true or false, I really have no idea.  Apparently that is the way RCCL wants it to be.  Is that suspicious, not a clue.

M

I might need Cliff Notes b/c I lost track of your issue whether to tip or not to tip.  Correct me if I'm wrong:

1) You thought it was a subsidizing wages to underpaid workers. RCCL should pay the workers more and not expect you to make up the difference.

2) Then, you were okay with the tipping but wanted to know the breakdown of who & how much gets the tip. And who does not get a portion of the tip. I believe you wanted the front-line staff to keep it and not share the tip backwards.

3) When given a partial, maybe outdated breakdown, you wanted to know how much of the tip  Royal is "skimming" even though there is zero evidence and nobody has voiced a concern about tip-skimming ever.

I'm not giving you a hard time or trying to flame you but it looks like you are trying to find a reason to not tip and not feel guilty about it.  

Have you decided what to do?

• Like 1

Not to tip has never been the issue.  The issue is how to tip to be 100% sure the crew that makes your cruise so delightful is being properly rewarded.  Sharing it backwards is up the the recipient.  And yes I decided how we will give gratuities on future RCCL cruises.

Thank you

M

7 minutes ago, invision said:

Not to tip has never been the issue.  The issue is how to tip to be 100% sure the crew that makes your cruise so delightful is being properly rewarded.  Sharing it backwards is up the the recipient.  And yes I decided how we will give gratuities on future RCCL cruises.

Thank you

M

Ok. Thank you for your reply.

Enjoy your future cruises.

I think for non-Americans the whole tipping thing is a bit of a minefield. Last time we were in the States my husband said he felt he constantly was handing over cash. For instance, it's OK to tip the guys who take our bags on departure, but you don't tip the person who checks you in?  Don't really understand the logic. Here in the UK we tend to tip 10-15% in full service restaurants, Hairdressers a nd taxis and that's about it. Oh and is it expected to tip Uber in the states in the same way as a taxi, we aim to use Uber for the first time in Mia next month. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I think for non-Americans the whole tipping thing is a bit of a minefield. Last time we were in the States my husband said he felt he constantly was handing over cash. For instance, it's OK to tip the guys who take our bags on departure, but you don't tip the person who checks you in?  Don't really understand the logic. Here in the UK we tend to tip 10-15% in full service restaurants, Hairdressers a nd taxis and that's about it. Oh and is it expected to tip Uber in the states in the same way as a taxi, we aim to use Uber for the first time in Mia next month. 

I have NEVER tipped an Uber. 

8 minutes ago, invision said:

That is BS.  I well I know first hand that the driver just like taxis gets to keep 100% of cash tip.  

M

I'm with you on this.    If service is good I'll always slip the Uber driver a few extra bucks.    Since the basic transaction is electronic, the cash tip never gets into the work flow, so its all for the driver.

And since he has no "back of the house" to deal with, he can keep it all.   :classic_biggrin:

55 minutes ago, sgmn said:

There is no logic. I see tip jars now in places that never had tip jars 15-20 years ago.

I tip Uber driver better than a taxi. The drivers are generally more friendly, the cars nicer and will often times, let me pick the music. You can tip in cash or via the Uber app.

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

I think for non-Americans the whole tipping thing is a bit of a minefield. 

Totally agree with you. We are from south wales and finding the whole thing madness. 

I feel for the crew that should be getting paid an appropriate wage and not have to worry about people tipping them, tipping should be classed as an extra for amazing service not to up their terrible wages. 

It is a hard topic because by not paying the tips you're doing the staff but by paying them when will RC ever learn to pay their staff a normal living wage. I see all points to be fair and it's hard to argue what's right and whats wrong. 

But if someone wants to remove them and pay in cash let them, thats their decision and is people leave them on thats their decision. It's not worth arguing over. I have read so much over the last few months and decided I can't deal with the hassle and stress its causing me so will be leaving them on. 

• Like 2

• Clarea locked this topic