IV- Can you hang a curtain?

jelayne

17 hours ago, Nymich said:

Might be able to pack an extra sheet and hang it...…...unreal

I already do that along with a clothes lines, collapsible clothes hamper, hanging door shoe holder, hanging closet organizers, my own pillow, door decorations for outside the cabin, and collapsible shelve cubes, towel clamps, a hammock for the balcony and a flag to hang on the balcony so we know what cabin is ours looking for the shore.  🤗

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Too funny ...but a hammock  probsbly won't fit in the IV....

I may hang the hammock on the open bifold doors to hang the sheet on.  😁

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

OP here, we have purchased a blackout curtain (63” x 40)”) and some magnetic hooks.  We just want to block some of the light so DH can sleep in and I can have enough light on the IV to read & maybe see the ocean.  I will report on our success or lack thereof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone from Celebrity actually addressed these problems?

As a long time Celebrity cruiser I will  not consider Edge or Apex for future cruising. I really hope they do not  start "upgrading" the S class ships to mirror Edge. Or if they did they take into account the comments from their current passengers.

Back to looking at my short list of S class ships for my next cruise.

Scotslizzy   

On 1/2/2019 at 9:48 AM, beachbunny6 said:

And/or before actually asking real cruisers' opinions.  I think there would have been a lot of passengers who would catch these things even before they became reality.  We are not all so unaware of this sort of problem, even if all of us would not have caught all of them.  Even one passenger noting one problem would at least have given a heads-up to the designers, who admittedly had possibly never cruised before.  How could they even begin to guess at these kind of things then?  I hope that X is paying attention to these reviews, and that it is still early enough to correct some of the problems for Apex, in order to avoid repeating them.  If not, they will certainly lose some of us, their most loyal cruisers, from their new E-Class ships.  One and done is not a good thing from a corporate standpoint.  

Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

Off topic here.

I dont think they care about losing long time loyal  cruisers.  We cost them more in perks, expect a higher level of service, and have purchased all the tanzanite, chains of gold  roman glass, amber,  watches, charm bracelets, handbags and shawls/ scarves to last us a long time Although  we still do, I read that  many trad X cruisers do not spend that much anymore  on spa,  specialty dining,  excursions, extra alcohol....etc  Newbies may  want to do it all!

With the high end stores and prices on EDGE they will need new cruisers and their money to buy there!   Seems to be working perhaps as many posts say "this is our first time on X...."  

As for the curtains, doors and window..we,'ll get through it...but definitely will brings an eye mask for naps.  We both generally get up  fairly early,  although sometimes I let dh sleep in  a bit while I watch sunrise from the balc...we,ll see how it goes.

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

OP here, we have purchased a blackout curtain (63” x 40)”) and some magnetic hooks.  We just want to block some of the light so DH can sleep in and I can have enough light on the IV to read & maybe see the ocean.  I will report on our success or lack thereof.

Jelayne

Sounds like you've come up with a good plan.

Please come back on here and let us know how it works.

For us - I don't think the Edge is in our future. Too many things I don't like so the balance of things that sound intriguing doesn't work out.

I, like lots of others, just hope they don't replace the cabins on the S-class with these new ones!

2 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

I think taping a sheet of advertising paper left in room in each pane of the bifold door would be a good light diffuser. 

i don’t think that would work because from what I have read the Edge is paperless and there aren’t any ads, daily papers and etc.  

It could be they were thinking in advance that they really messed up with the IV and people would be doing that.   It was too late to fix the IV problem but they could avoid the papers being taped on the doors by not providing it.    I doubt that was the reason and I am giving Celebrity too much credit to prevent  passengers from providing a simple solution that they can’t remedy themselves.  Paperless is to save money and help gain a few carbon points.  🤑

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 1/1/2019 at 2:03 PM, vtcruising said:

LOL! I got 22 inches between bed and wall in our IV cabin - maybe they are all different or it is us! 😉  I swear I only had 2 drinks before measuring....

I wonder if the reason the balcony is several inches less than the cabin is to accommodate the IV mechanism for the cabin next door (in that boxed in area on the right in the picture).

Someone mentioned contact paper on the bifold doors - they found a type that didn't leave marks when removed. You could leave it up the whole time with the doors open, and just close doors when you want to block the light. 🙂

Edit: actually, the person showed how they used the contact paper for balcony glass on a side that had no privacy (people from bar below could see them on balcony).

VT it was bugging me... why we got two different measurements for space between bed and wall.... then I saw a photo of another cabin and it appears that they have more space at the foot of the bed... Our cabin was an odd one... not part of the usual set of two.... it was along the wall that juts out... look at these two photos... you can see one has more space than the other... so there is some variation in cabin size... likely ones not part of the set. okay this is a sickness.... I gotta stop!untitled-0963.jpg.12a6559f14c7e706795336f274047603.jpg.0868b16f5d0e0a7952e37f732d1adb2a.jpgIMG_3170.thumb.jpg.fbc46932c4528c4033905282041d5de2.jpg

19 minutes ago, kearney said:

VT it was bugging me... why we got two different measurements for space between bed and wall.... then I saw a photo of another cabin and it appears that they have more space at the foot of the bed... Our cabin was an odd one... not part of the usual set of two.... it was along the wall that juts out... look at these two photos... you can see one has more space than the other... so there is some variation in cabin size... likely ones not part of the set. okay this is a sickness.... I gotta stop!

That makes sense. I'll bet you are right! It wasn't the cocktails....😉

On 1/6/2019 at 1:38 AM, jelayne said:

I've been thinking about it in case we ever book one (would normally book a traditional balcony, but might book one if they go to cooler climes and the price is right). Not all couples/roommates get up at different times, but we often do. I think I would do as you are doing - bring a light - blocking curtain and a way to hang it. I would then leave the IV shade up at night to prevent having to make noise opening it in the morning, have the bifold door open on one side  and seating arranged so that I can quietly go onto the balcony space and close the open bifold door. These cabins won't work for everyone, but I think if some people like the overall concept they will come up with ways to work around the downsides.

Edited by vtcruising

Vtcruising, thanks for the suggestions.  DH is deaf without his hearing aids so noise from raising the curtain isn’t a problem- he wouldn’t hear a band playing in the cabin.  

I thought about closing 1/2 of the bi-fold door and arranging the furniture so in the a.m. I can get some coffee and sit on the IV and check Cruise Critic😉

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

Vtcruising, thanks for the suggestions.  DH is deaf without his hearing aids so noise from raising the curtain isn’t a problem- he wouldn’t hear a band playing in the cabin.  

I thought about closing 1/2 of the bi-fold door and arranging the furniture so in the a.m. I can get some coffee and sit on the IV and check Cruise Critic😉

Great minds think alike! 

My DH is moderately hearing-impaired in one ear and sleeps like a baby. I had the light on out there (is aimed downward so doesn't light up the room much), ran the shade up and  worked on my laptop for an hour while he slept through it all. :classic_smile:

Thinking about it, I've woken him up before by opening the curtain enough to open the door of a traditional balcony cabin and by opening the door, as those sliders can be noisy to open sometimes. 

17 hours ago, kearney said:

VT it was bugging me... why we got two different measurements for space between bed and wall.... then I saw a photo of another cabin and it appears that they have more space at the foot of the bed... Our cabin was an odd one... not part of the usual set of two.... it was along the wall that juts out... look at these two photos... you can see one has more space than the other... so there is some variation in cabin size... likely ones not part of the set. okay this is a sickness.... I gotta stop!untitled-0963.jpg.12a6559f14c7e706795336f274047603.jpg.0868b16f5d0e0a7952e37f732d1adb2a.jpgIMG_3170.thumb.jpg.fbc46932c4528c4033905282041d5de2.jpg

Photo perspectives are often deceiving,  but this looks like the sofa seat is practically  at floor level, esp in comparison to the bed and tom tom.  Where do our feet go when we sit?  Kearney brought along   riser legs but we can't do that!

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Photo perspectives are often deceiving,  but this looks like the sofa seat is practically  at floor level, esp in comparison to the bed and tom tom.  Where do our feet go when we sit?  Kearney brought along   riser legs but we can't do that!

The beds on The Edge are HIGHER than other cruiseship beds to accommodate larger luggage to be stored under the bed. 

On 1/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, dides said:

And here's our picture contribution to the discussion. Can't confirm the material

iv.jpg

Dides, I just discovered we booked a cabin with the bed by the balcony like this, which I am not crazy about and may change. But hubs has no issues with it. How did it work out for you?  Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Bently57 said:

Dides, I just discovered we booked a cabin with the bed by the balcony like this, which I am not crazy about and may change. But hubs has no issues with it. How did it work out for you?  Thanks. 

My other half slept on that side of the bed and didn't like stubbing his toes on the edge of the bi-fold doors and even bumping into the back of the chair when he got up in the middle of the night. And there was no real benefit of having it in this position rather than by the bathroom from our perspective.

bed.jpg

Edited by dides

On 1/9/2019 at 8:12 AM, vtcruising said:

The sofa is low for someone who has difficulty getting up from low seating, but not at floor level. F58B8A1F-25DA-4096-819B-D974FEF48213.thumb.jpeg.9a0a08dfb6bcf34d2eb43939ece9d53c.jpeg

That does look low..we  may have to give each other a hand getting up..odd cholce

59 minutes ago, dides said:

My other half slept on that side of the bed and didn't like stubbing his toes on the edge of the bi-fold doors and even bumping into the back of the chair when he got up in the middle of the night. And there was no real benefit of having it in this position rather than by the bathroom from our perspective.

bed.jpg

With bi fold  doors closed that would be ridiculous..did they not do mock ups?

Glad we switched  to a bed by bath...