Lockers at water excursion locations?

susan12369

First time cruiser here, RC Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean.  We've already booked two water excursions (swimming with dolphins and barrier reef snorkeling).  Are there lockers at these locations so that our wallets, etc will be kept safe?  I've been thinking about getting a portable lock box safe, going back and forth, and am trying to understand if we'll have a safe place to secure valuables at these excursions or if I should get something like a portable safe.  Thanks!

Leave the valuables on the ship.  Ship card, money and CC can get wet. Other than a camera you really don't need to take anything ashore. BTW the barrier reef snorkeling will be on a boat, and the only people who could bother your stuff are the crew or fellow passengers and there aren't that many of them. at the dolphin swim there should be lockers.

19 minutes ago, susan12369 said:

We will bring only necessities, but even those will need to be kept safe.  My question is really about whether there are lockers at the excursion locations.

Assume the answer is no and make internal to your party decisions on what valuables to take and how to keep them secure.

Every port stop and every excursion will be different.

Just now, klfrodo said:

Assume the answer is no and make internal to your party decisions on what valuables to take and how to keep them secure.

Every port stop and every excursion will be different.

Thank you, that makes a ton of sense :)

It is rare to have lockers for any excursion.   A good rule of thumb lock any valuables, that you really do not need, in your cabin safe.  When it comes to wallets, I always travel with an extra empty wallet and only put in it what I must have which is usually some cash, one credit card (Visa or MC), some kind of picture ID (I take an expired drivers license), period.  As to a watch that is not waterproof, best to simply lock that in the cabin safe.  That person might want to purchase an inexpensive water resistant watch such as a Casio (they sell this stuff on ships but it might be cheaper at Walmart).  Phones are a big problem because most of us take one and they are expensive.  I have a waterproof case that I can use to take my phone in the water (it can then be used to take pictures) but will often take our chances and leave it with our backpack (towels).   While things will usually be safe on your excursion, one can never be too careful.  

I have a waterproof (to over 100 feet deep) fanny pack (with internal triple seal bag) that I use to carry cash and credit card and cruise card.  By the way, if you lose the cruise card it is a relatively minor hassle when you return (they will call security and you will get a new card).  You can find lots of various waterproof bags, fanny packs, etc. on Amazon (or elsewhere) and they are relatively inexpensive.  It is a good investment...assuming you will be taking future trips.

Hank

Don't bring a non-waterproof watch to the beach or on a boat!  While someone should have a watch, a cheap waterproof one will be just fine!

If you're on a boat snorkel excursion, you can leave your stuff on the boat while you're in the water.  

Simply bring ONLY what you can afford to lose. (the odds of stuff being stolen on an excursion is quite slim)  Leave your phone on the ship in your cabin safe!

9 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Don't bring a non-waterproof watch to the beach or on a boat!  While someone should have a watch, a cheap waterproof one will be just fine!

If you're on a boat snorkel excursion, you can leave your stuff on the boat while you're in the water.  

Simply bring ONLY what you can afford to lose. (the odds of stuff being stolen on an excursion is quite slim)  Leave your phone on the ship in your cabin safe!

I'll amend that slightly to simply bring only what you can't afford to be without.  I have to carry Epi-pens for a bee allergy.  I really can't afford to lose it, but also can't afford to be without it.  I do second bringing a waterproof watch and leaving the other in the safe (or at a minimum a wet bag if they must have it with them, but not to wear it).

I lost a (inexpensive) hat once, but have never lost anything that really mattered on an excursion.

12 minutes ago, Philob said:

On our dolphin swim we were told there were lockers.  Technically there were lockers, but only 4 of them for 2 bus loads from the ship.  :classic_dry:

Thanks, that's very helpful!  I found a smallish PacSafe that I will bring so that I will have something when needed.  

Leave all your valuables on the bus. Take only what you need for the day. Sometimes there are lockers, but I wouldn't count on it as the norm.  I have a sea to summit dry sack that I use to store things in if I need to. It's waterproof and just goes with me everywhere. Put my wallet, camera, etc in it. Never had any issues with anything getting wet.

6 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

Leave all your valuables on the bus. Take only what you need for the day. Sometimes there are lockers, but I wouldn't count on it as the norm.  I have a sea to summit dry sack that I use to store things in if I need to. It's waterproof and just goes with me everywhere. Put my wallet, camera, etc in it. Never had any issues with anything getting wet.

Careful.  The OP has water excursions where one bus will drop off, but another may pickup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philob said:

Careful.  The OP has water excursions where one bus will drop off, but another may pickup.

Thanks, wasn't going to do that at all.  Really just asked for any knowledge about lockers, not about opinions about what I should or should not bring :)

If you have some things you NEED to take, that cannot get wet, there are waterproof pouches, that can stay on your body.

Amazon carries them.

As others have said, ONLY take what you NEED.  That is photo ID, Sea Pass card, A credit card, and some cash.  All of which can get wet.

If you want to take pictures, I suggest picking up a waterproof digital camera.  I picked up a Canon D30 that has worked great on cruises and on land vacations.

Edited by SRF

Hi Susan12369.  I don't think anyone really knows if lockers exist at the places you are going.  Maybe check with your cruise line.  Or, if the places have a web site maybe you can check there.