Live update on vision of seas

As noted by earlier poster RC does have the high pace energy and games and activities and noise level that is preferred by many, particularly younger families with kids and teens.  But for couples or seniors who dont prefer the noise and occasional dining room melt downs with kids and just prefer a calmer more subdued environment then RC is a bit more than they desire from that standpoint.  Yes i agree with posters that food on princess and holland america has been somewhat better overall but that is subjective.  I think it is great how this travel site can allow people to read other people’s experiences and observations and make good decisions how to plan their own travel.  And sometimes the tips and suggestions actually help people enjoy their experience better from the beginning because they know what to expect and what NOT to expect.  

Today we stopped in key west with a beautiful day of weather, a great hop on-and-off tour, a little shopping and some great key lime pie.  So now a final day at sea and back to New Orleans.  I have to say today has made us a bit happier with overall cruise.  Just have to be honest that Nasaua is just dirty and infrastructure is just not enticive to us to visit again with all the other beautiful ports of call that are available.......but a lot of people like it.  Again, just to have people give some comments ahead about ports of call is helpful for people to have reasonable expectations of where they are going.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

All the news that I've read says it's just being delayed. So it sounds like it is still gonna happen, just not right away.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2019/01/08/carnival-cruise-line-delays-plan-charge-more-room-service-items/2511565002/

Since we don't cruise Carnival, not really concerned except that they usually start the new hype in the industry...like can RCCL be far behind...etc.etc.etc.  It is what it is though...will not hamper our cruising.  Can't wait to get back on Vision, she is a nice ole gal.

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not sure if the Class were all set up same in WJ even as built, only been on Grandeur and Enchantment(before they lengthened it). Vision Class was made of 6 ships but 3 subclasses, Vision/Rhapsody, Spendour/Legend and Enchantment/Grandeur. All 3 classes had some differences...

You are correct the Vision class was really 3 sets of twins and not called a class until later.  A real class is named for the first ship, not the last.  There are some differences in all of them because when modified they were not done the same.  Even the Vision and Rhapsody that began as twins have different layouts in the WJ now.  The one big difference between the Vision class and all others is that the WJ is in the front. 

4 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

You are correct the Vision class was really 3 sets of twins and not called a class until later.  A real class is named for the first ship, not the last.  There are some differences in all of them because when modified they were not done the same.  Even the Vision and Rhapsody that began as twins have different layouts in the WJ now.  The one big difference between the Vision class and all others is that the WJ is in the front. 

Yeah I remember that threw me off at first, all older ships had WJ In front, was sailing Sovereign/Majesty in 1980s-1995. Then in 95-2002 did 100+ nites on Grandeur, Enchantment, Voyager and Explorer. My 29yr old Daughter does Oasis class with her kid but Majesty still has special place for her and does 1 on her every other yr. Will be interesting I'm doing 26nites on Vision Apr/May, first time on her and first time on the Class in 17yrs

Edited by ONECRUISER

5 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah I remember that threw me off at first, all older ships had WJ In front, was sailing Sovereign/Majesty in 1980s-1995. Then in 95-2002 did 100+ nites on Grandeur, Enchantment, Voyager and Explorer. My 29yr old Daughter does Oasis class with her kid but Majesty still has special place for her and does 1 on her every other yr. Will be interesting I'm doing 26nites on Vision Apr/May, first time on her and first time on the Class in 17yrs

It is nicer now that it has both a CL and DL.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:41 AM, Bee Guy said:

I am surprised to hear that the room attendants are not in the room both morning and evening.  Never experienced that in over a dozen RCI cruises. 

Same! Just got off the Vision on January 5th in an inside room and had twice daily service as is their norm.

14 hours ago, leen50 said:

Also, looking forward to Vision TA April 19 for 17 days!

We did a Vision TA in April 2013, 17 days FLL to Copenhagen, last minute booking so we were in an Inside, and it was small!

Ended up as one of our favourite cruises ever.

Sailed her again for New Year cruise 2017/2018 in an OV forward of the Lobby on deck 4. Excellent location, little to no sound from band in the atrium.

Have fun 🙂

8 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

It is nicer now that it has both a CL and DL.

And ships now have Balcony's unlike when I started sailing..  20 years ago wasn't many Diamond's and no such thing as Diamond+/Pinnacle. With only 6-10 Diamonds a sailing wasn't needed. Back then they closed the Crown Lounge one evening for couple hrs and we'd have Formal get together with Captain and  senior staff. That and for short period Diamond's were able utilize Concierge. Now couple Repo cruises I've been on we had 500+ Diamond and above requiring overflow into Crown Lounge in evenings...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pspercy said:

We did a Vision TA in April 2013, 17 days FLL to Copenhagen, last minute booking so we were in an Inside, and it was small!

Ended up as one of our favourite cruises ever.

Sailed her again for New Year cruise 2017/2018 in an OV forward of the Lobby on deck 4. Excellent location, little to no sound from band in the atrium.

Have fun 🙂

I love inside cabins, nice & dark & I sleep great!

Just now, rrtexascruiser said:

Thank you!

You're welcome! I see  you are on the Feb. 2 Vision sailing. We are, too. We sailed Vision last month. Some of the roughest seas we've ever encountered! It seems over the last few years, our winter cruises out of the gulf have been very rough. Pack you some meds! 

On 1/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, DiamondSuiteCruiser said:

Wow, I understand that with RC in some rooms you have to request ice, but not having twice a day service is a real cut back, and not what we are use too on Celebrity. I sure hope we see better in our suite in Feb, or we will not be doing RC again, which is a shame since we are D+ On them and Elite + on Celebrity.

Have you tried asking for a mattress topper, maybe it will help. I can deal with a bit of rust, wear and tear on the carpets, but lack of service and food being just meh is not a good thing. I sure am hoping for more on our Feb cruise.

Thank you and please keep reporting. I hope you have a great cruise!

We are currently on Vision and they do come twice a day. You have a magnet sign you put on your door for them to make up room or not to disturb you. We get ice twice a day and a full make over each visit from our cabin attendant. We are on deck 4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheSweetPotatoQueen said:

You're welcome! I see  you are on the Feb. 2 Vision sailing. We are, too. We sailed Vision last month. Some of the roughest seas we've ever encountered! It seems over the last few years, our winter cruises out of the gulf have been very rough. Pack you some meds! 

don't leave home without them, thanks for the heads up!

1 minute ago, TheSweetPotatoQueen said:

don't leave home without them, thanks for the heads up!

3 minutes ago, robandana said:

We are currently on Vision and they do come twice a day. You have a magnet sign you put on your door for them to make up room or not to disturb you. We get ice twice a day and a full make over each visit from our cabin attendant. We are on deck 4.

Yes we knew to use magnet system and spoke to them upon arrival but as noted we had a specific issues with a few cabins on deck 8.........at least 4 complaints from other cabins per customer service  notice to us as to why they  reassigned the staff ......

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

And ships now have Balcony's unlike when I started sailing..  20 years ago wasn't many Diamond's and no such thing as Diamond+/Pinnacle. With only 6-10 Diamonds a sailing wasn't needed. Back then they closed the Crown Lounge one evening for couple hrs and we'd have Formal get together with Captain and  senior staff. That and for short period Diamond's were able utilize Concierge. Now couple Repo cruises I've been on we had 500+ Diamond and above requiring overflow into Crown Lounge in evenings...

Isn't that the truth? Its easy to spot the old ships because of the few balconies. Thats why on newer ships its usually cheaper to get a balcony than an Oceanview for last minute sailings.

Thanks for the honest review. We have tried princess and it was too sedentary for us. We like the pace of RCCL and usually do specialty dining so I do not know if Id enjoy the food aspect of Vision. We tried to jump to luxury like Azamara and Crystal but they were not for us, too relaxing.😄 But the food was a zillion times better. Oh well continue to enjoy your cruise bc it sure beats working or sitting at home.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Our first cruise as Diamond was on the Radiance when it first came out in 2001.  Very few Diamonds, the drinks were self service.  We just got off the Rhapsody TA with over 800 diamond and above, 88 Pinnacles.  

1 hour ago, robandana said:

Do you have any idea if an Amazon Firestick can be hooked up to the in cabin TV's...or have you heard discussion about this subject onboard?

Thanks so much for any info on this you can find.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, PashaPoo said:

We will be on Vision on the 12th and are also wanting to know if you can use Amazon Firestick, especially in view of the poor TV offerings.  Have never been on a cruise with Miami as a port stop - only as embarkation.  It looks like there will only be 3 ships in port during the Miami stop.  We are planning to leave the ship and have lunch at Versailles in Little Havana.  Would you (or anyone else) know the easiest transportation to Little Havana? Cab, Uber, free trolley, private hire, rental car? We were leaning toward Uber, but cannot find the uber pickup. Thanks.    

We just got off Visions transatlantic in October and did the hop on hop off bus through RCL with transfer to Fort Lauderdale airport. Had lunch at news cafe South Beach Miami. It’s a great deal if you have a later flight. We’ve enjoyed this 3 different times and look forward to the extra day in Miami. Bonus is Southwest Airlines out of fll 2 free bags.

Regarding daily activities and shows in the centrium (center atrium part of ship open for all to see):

A variety of activities occur in centrium and a number of them are played back on the in room TV channels which really gives a great view in the event you cant get close enough to seating or rail to see a good view of activities.  Several of these show up llater that night or the next day.  They had a dance contest that was quite humorous last night that we could not see very well. Select officers on ship were paired with some passengers to do a short dance off.  Looking at it now on TV is even better than it was last night because you can hear and see so much better.  So just FYI in case your dining times or other activities conflict with the times there is something going on in centrium.

• Like 1