Future cruise deposit

Clampram

1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

As a new to Princess cruiser, could someone please tell me the benefits of FCD 's and can we use them in UK for future bookings? 

I cannot tell you anything about any difference in how FCD's are used in the UK compared to the USA.  

The benefits of FCD's is that each one will serve as your deposit when you book a cruise in the future.  They cost $100 so your deposit will be that $100 you spent to buy the FCD instead of 10% of the total cruise fare.  More of your money stays in your possession until final payment date.  The other benefit is that you will be given some amount of onboard spending money when you take the future cruise you booked using the FCD.  The amount varies with the length of the cruise.

15 hours ago, livinforcruisin said:

You can only purchase them whilst on board.  I don't know if you can apply a FCD that was purchased after you booked your cruise.  

This is no longer true. Princess now allows a passenger to purchase FCD's for people NOT on board. The credit card used will be the passenger on board and the person NOT on board needs a Princess captain circle number, so if you know someone on a sailing and have run out of FCD's, they can purchase for you.

Also, if you already have a booking with a deposit, you usually can NOT then try to add a FCD to get the OBC, that is the whole meaning behind 'Future'. I have heard of situations with the $1 deposit sales, passengers were allowed later to add a FCD. I recently heard 2nd hand one of the big box stores say you can add a FCD to a booking as long as it is before final payment but have not verified, but does not sound like it adheres to current Princess rules. Your FCD acquire date also has to be before the cruise booking date. For example, I wanted to be added to a booking that was before final payment as my friends passenger2 decided to back out and I was able to take his place. The booking was done last March, but my earliest FCD acquire date was after, I go thru a lot and am constantly adding but Princess did not allow me to use a FCD as the acquire date was AFTER the booking date. This does not happen often.

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

This is no longer true. Princess now allows a passenger to purchase FCD's for people NOT on board. The credit card used will be the passenger on board and the person NOT on board needs a Princess captain circle number, so if you know someone on a sailing and have run out of FCD's, they can purchase for you.

Also, if you already have a booking with a deposit, you usually can NOT then try to add a FCD to get the OBC, that is the whole meaning behind 'Future'. I have heard of situations with the $1 deposit sales, passengers were allowed later to add a FCD. I recently heard 2nd hand one of the big box stores say you can add a FCD to a booking as long as it is before final payment but have not verified, but does not sound like it adheres to current Princess rules. Your FCD acquire date also has to be before the cruise booking date. For example, I wanted to be added to a booking that was before final payment as my friends passenger2 decided to back out and I was able to take his place. The booking was done last March, but my earliest FCD acquire date was after, I go thru a lot and am constantly adding but Princess did not allow me to use a FCD as the acquire date was AFTER the booking date. This does not happen often.

Wow, that is interesting to know. From what you describe, someone does have to actually be on a cruise to buy a FCD, which has always been my understanding. However they can then buy for other people not on board as long as they have a Captains Circle Number.

16 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

As a new to Princess cruiser, could someone please tell me the benefits of FCD 's and can we use them in UK for future bookings? 

As nukesubsailor said that is true for UK passengers. The only difference is that the FCD when purchased on board will be charged to UK passengers in GBP £75 pp. The OBC will be in the currency of the cruise line. Dollars for Princess, GBP for P&O etc. It’s a great way of getting some OBC. 

• 3 weeks later...

If we dropped our form in the box at the end of our cruise, how long does it usually take to get an email or for it to show up in our personalizer?  We finished our cruise on the 26th and haven’t seen anything yet.  I’m hoping it didn’t get lost. 

If we dropped our form in the box at the end of our cruise, how long does it usually take to get an email or for it to show up in our personalizer?  We finished our cruise on the 26th and haven’t seen anything yet.  I’m hoping it didn’t get lost. 

Future cruise deposits are a good thing when you add in the OBC they offer you. But one side note here , if you purchase them with US dollars and then want to take a Princess Cruise out of Australia they are worth much less.  For example offer is for USD $225 dollars OBC per passenger or USD $450 total they will convent to AUD and they are worth 40% less. They also reprice everything on the ship to be about 40% more.  A restaurant that is USD$ 29 dollars per person becomes  AUD$39 dollars per person. It really is a scam and a big profit center for the cruise line.

6 hours ago, luvSClake said:

Sounds like it was not received. You can call Princess for I think 2 weeks and purchase one after a completed cruise. 

On 1/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, paul929207 said:

No limit on the number each person can buy.

10 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Sounds like it was not received. You can call Princess for I think 2 weeks and purchase one after a completed cruise. 

Not long after my post I got the email that it was processed, so all good. Thanks

55 minutes ago, luvSClake said:

Not long after my post I got the email that it was processed, so all good. Thanks

Thats great! Doing it with the form is is just as reliable. I use the drop box all the time.

We keep at least 10 on hand so I really have to keep track right after I put the form in the drop box.

It works well.

12 hours ago, CCFC said:

When I was on the Caribbean Princess recently I bought my FCD using the Ocean Medallion app, worked perfectly and no form filling out!

That has also been an option for several years by using the Princess@Sea system. 👍

On 1/8/2019 at 1:06 AM, livinforcruisin said:

As nukesubsailor said that is true for UK passengers. The only difference is that the FCD when purchased on board will be charged to UK passengers in GBP £75 pp. The OBC will be in the currency of the cruise line. Dollars for Princess, GBP for P&O etc. It’s a great way of getting some OBC. 

Or to add the negative side-You can buy FCD in US dollars and then go on an Australian based cruise and get your OBC in $AUD ( a lose of about 30% only to have the prices on the ship be in $AUD which are 30% higher than US$

14 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Future cruise deposits are a good thing when you add in the OBC they offer you. But one side note here , if you purchase them with US dollars and then want to take a Princess Cruise out of Australia they are worth much less.  For example offer is for USD $225 dollars OBC per passenger or USD $450 total they will convent to AUD and they are worth 40% less. They also reprice everything on the ship to be about 40% more.  A restaurant that is USD$ 29 dollars per person becomes  AUD$39 dollars per person. It really is a scam and a big profit center for the cruise line.

Should have read this first since we are on the same cruise

On 1/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, livinforcruisin said:

You can only purchase them whilst on board.  I don't know if you can apply a FCD that was purchased after you booked your cruise.  

I have applied FCD to a cruise that was already booked.  It does not affect the deposit but is applied against the fare and you get the applicable OBC.  Just call your TA or Princess to do this.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
Spellcheck