Bloomberg Edge Review

CrankySailor

Apologies if posted already.

Not a good review - echoes what many on CC have said.

Partner and I are sailing on1/27 and I am sure we will have a nice time (with two of our besties - so automatically an 8 out of 10 experience).  As long as food and service are good, the rest is largely what you make of it, in my opinion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-10/celebrity-edge-cruise-ship-review

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrankySailor said:

Apologies if posted already.

Not a good review - echoes what many on CC have said.

Partner and I are sailing on1/27 and I am sure we will have a nice time (with two of our besties - so automatically an 8 out of 10 experience).  As long as food and service are good, the rest is largely what you make of it, in my opinion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-10/celebrity-edge-cruise-ship-review

Wow..parts of the review are a bit harsh...but  being body scanned for fun is nothing I aspire to !

We're on the 1/ 27...are you on the roll call?  Sailaway Gathering list? Cruise Critic  Connection party?

See you on board!

Edited by hcat

Well, since I do not experience her until the end of April, I will just add this to my collection of reviews, thoughts and heresay...at the very least, I will be ready for everything!  What I want to know is where the huge coral is located on deck 11...yep...really want to know that before I go on an adventure to locate it myself!:classic_biggrin:...and I will be on Edge for 15 nights, and not three!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would love to hear from more Millennials than the 2 quoted in the article, both experienced cruisers, and first timers.  None the less, it will be interesting to see if those most skeptical of cruising, are drawn in as customers, by the advertising, tech, and shows.  Or in 24 months, will Edge still be mostly full of passengers 50+?

Interesting review, but neither comprehensive nor completely convincing IMO. I don’t know anything about the reviewer, but I often find Bloomberg reviews a bit snide and pretentious. I found those by some fellow CC members (such as VT, MVP, Oville, and Kearney just to name a few) much more helpful. I’m not at all certain I’ll love the IV stateroom, and I’m fairly sure I’ll miss having a lounge like the Rendevous or Ensemble lounges, but I don’t see anything wrong with the graffiti. Perhaps it’s more overwhelming in person. I’ll report back after spending 15 days aboard. Thanks for posting the link, CrankySailor.

• Like 1

‘Celebrity doesn’t just miss the mark; it alienates its core demographic.’

That phrase may keep a few marketing managers up late....As committed Celebrity cruisers we would like at some stage to try the new ships....

There are, however, two factors stopping us. Firstly we usually book RS with an occasional PH. The ‘new’ RS on Edge just isn’t as spacious in the lounge or on deck as on the S class (not to mention the ridiculous balcony furniture) which means to get as good a suite experience as we are used to we would need to upgrade....The second issue for us is the price....Quite simply over the top...

8 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

Looks like I’m in trouble.  My husband doesn’t use a cell phone ... guess he’ll be locked out of the room.  

Correct me if I’m wrong experienced edgies but from everything I’ve read you don’t need the app to unlock your door or even to adjust room settings. It’s just an extra feature so you can adjust temp and light without using the wall panel. You should be fine without a phone.

2 minutes ago, Lilikins said:

Correct me if I’m wrong experienced edgies but from everything I’ve read you don’t need the app to unlock your door or even to adjust room settings. It’s just an extra feature so you can adjust temp and light without using the wall panel. You should be fine without a phone.

You are correct.

bon voyage

One thing I really liked when we started sailing Celebrity... which was only last year... was that it was relaxing and was comfortable and reliably so... regardless of ship. Now what the cruise line has done is to disrupt the experience.... and this means that some will not like the experience... and others will. It is a highly personal experience. We loved the ship... for reasons I don't have time to get into... we did not get to experience much of the entertainment... the live entertainment we did experience in the atrium and during the day in Eden... we enjoyed. I loved the IV cabin my husband prefers the regular veranda..but I don't do sun or heat (odd that I like sailing the caribbean in the summer during hurricane season..go figure). My complaint with the IV is that the veranda is too small and the mocked up drawings are very deceptive... but overall I like the OV with a window that opens... if the veranda was as big as pictured in the CGI video... I am sure DH would have liked it as well. But the ship is lovely and while the shops are very high end... I actually did get a watch onboard. If you are scheduled to cruise... just judge for yourself.... It was nice to explore something new and while it did not feel as familiar as the S class ships we have sailed in the past... it was nice to have a new experience. Now I would sail Edge again... but to be frank... I still prefer the S class for the money. I am not into the internet of everything and don't see the need for technology running everything. I can get up and hit a light switch... not that lazy yet. It was neat being able to open shade with my iphone.... but was had to reconnect to the internet so often it was just easier not to use the app. It has a ways to go... but try it... The food and service were all fabulous...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Not a good review indeed.  Hopefully provides some food for thought for Celebrity on the other three.

I'm genuinely interested to see what happens with the remaining E class ships. 

Will X consider scrapping the IV balconies if they continue to receive poor feedback as they are now? 

These and some of the entertainment don't appear to appeal to older more traditional cruisers. So will they revert back to a more traditional design? Or will they take a brave stance and continue potentially losing some loyal cruisers whilst trying to replace them with younger people who are new to cruising? 

When the IV staterroms were announced I posted on here suggesting that they'd be restrictive in warmer climes and that they could offer both IV and traditional balconies giving people more choice. I wonder if they'd consider that approach?